AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Re:Zero

Notices

Old 2016-08-03, 01:56   Link #61
Joachim
et tu, brute?

I am really curious on how tappei will develop Emillia to be honest, rem being overselled is given to be honest with how she was put under the spotlight for 2 arcs and undergoing massive character development.

Author is pretty cheeky for actually putting away the main heroine for a good chunk of important arc, heck even one of the best arc apparently that turns fans into rabid fans with "From Zero" based on narou's / wn reader.

Given that this is like a "deconstruction" of isekai genre (god i hate that word but i cant find another word for it), could it be that emillia is another deconstruction of the main heroine trope?
Old 2016-08-03, 02:07   Link #62
Applehell

Not really. There are important things in Emilia's past that require Arc 3 to lay the ground work for and one of them is Subaru's character development. That is as far I can say without spoilers.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 02:12   Link #63
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Not really. There are important things in Emilia's past that require Arc 3 to lay the ground work for and one of them is Subaru's character development. That is as far I can say without spoilers.
no doubt she will play an important part in later arcs, thats for sure, but if you are talking about anime only.. then yeah sorry..

Also seeing that you follow the WN, i thought From Zero was one of the best chapter so far? i guess we should take this discussion somewhere else eh?
Old 2016-08-03, 03:22   Link #64
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

What's wrong with deconstructions? I always thought those were pretty cool.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 03:31   Link #65
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post

Given that this is like a "deconstruction" of isekai genre (god i hate that word but i cant find another word for it), could it be that emillia is another deconstruction of the main heroine trope?
That she might be related to the Witch of Envy? That was what I thought since the first arc.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 04:07   Link #66
BladeMancer
TheBladeThatRivesDivinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayashiTakara View Post
Am I the only one that feels that Emilia is more of a plot device than a character?
I don't know if this is spoilers or not but Emilia will eventually develop as a character.
Frequent use will make it dull and brittle; it's ill sheen reflecting the wielder's lost virtues and strength. Thus comes the saying that the ire of the calm, kind and gentle forges with vengful fire a fearsome bladed edge. Pray for those whose image reflects off it, for it may only stop through reconcilatory waters or icy voids of the end.
BladeMancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-03, 06:27   Link #67
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
What's wrong with deconstructions? I always thought those were pretty cool.
deconstructing a trope is cool and all, i agree, but the word "deconstruction" itself is often being associated with troll post and lets just say it makes me not fond of it
Old 2016-08-03, 06:31   Link #68
Joachim
et tu, brute?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
That she might be related to the Witch of Envy? That was what I thought since the first arc.
well more like she is not gonna be "heroine" like

maybe more along the side of:

- not getting on with male mc
- not actually getting the throne / her goal
- dying even before the climax?
- eventually becoming evil alongside subaru

i dont know.. basically anything that is not heroine like trope, so far re:zero has been anything but predictable, so anything could happen i guess?

we have a typical isekai hero already (Reinhardt) and his loli missing princess heroine..

and we have subaru + emillia duo
Old 2016-08-03, 19:34   Link #69
Dawnstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
And if you noticed her reaction, she was obviously hurt when Subaru was saying "it was all for her sake". And this is where their mutual trust turned into shambles because it was the same issue with Subaru: he didn't go as far as considering the person he has in front of him, that's why Emilia was obviously hurt when he didn't keep his promise, yet asked her to believe him (and remember that for THAT Emilia, only few days have passed since their first encounter).

I'm mostly with you, but I thought what hurt her the most was Subaru's "and you owe me" gambit. She could clearly tell it was a last ditch effort, but for what purpose? "You owe me," is something you say to a contractor, not to a friend. She has some sort of contract with Puck. Roswaal expects her to win the election. Who's just there for her? She thought it might be Subaru, so "you owe me," comes as a shock. Worst case scenario, he's just currying favour. That has to hurt.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 23:46   Link #70
SeaDoor

After episode 18 there is something that I am looking for from this point forward. Up until now, this has been a remarkable series but to push it over the top for me I need to see some solid indication that Emilia is actually worth all that has happened. She has been the focal point of a lot of trouble not only for Subaru but for most of the other characters, too. It does not have to be spelled out in detail but at least some strong indication that there is more to her than just cute, pretty and earnest. Right now the Emilia ledger is seriously out of balance within the story we're being told.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 01:05   Link #71
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoor View Post
After episode 18 there is something that I am looking for from this point forward. Up until now, this has been a remarkable series but to push it over the top for me I need to see some solid indication that Emilia is actually worth all that has happened. She has been the focal point of a lot of trouble not only for Subaru but for most of the other characters, too. It does not have to be spelled out in detail but at least some strong indication that there is more to her than just cute, pretty and earnest. Right now the Emilia ledger is seriously out of balance within the story we're being told.
And how do exactly determine as subjective and varied as that? And let's say you replaced Rem in her position, why in the world would the Cult be after some like her who does not have Emilia's social stigma, percived history and connection to their revered god? Furthermore as a candidate does she have any greater aspirations beyond loving Subaru?

A person's worth is determine by what the people in-universe want/see from them neagtive or positive. It doesn't have anything with how you personally feel the about character itself. Emilia's part of a despised race, a candidate for throne and spirit user who commands one 4 great spirits of this world. There no way nobody wpuldn't be interested in her just on those 4 factors. On a personal lebel she also happens to be a pleasant person to be around as far we know. She's at least kind enough to help strangers or kids without forcing obligations on them or mugging/killing/humiliating someone just for existing which is more what you can say for anyone Subaru has met. Whatever personal flaws she may have Emilia has already done enough just for being the only consisently decent levelled head person around him who has looked out for Subaru longer then most people would have without forcing him to jump throw hoops just to even live. Yeah I think person like that is worth supporting. At very least for a person like Subaru who has all he has in this world including Rem thanks to her. She never forced him to get involved in her troubles he decided that his own because she had became important to him.

Last edited by Applehell; 2016-08-07 at 01:40.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-07, 16:03   Link #72
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

You know, I tend to fall for people based on who they are, rather than what they do. Maybe Subaru is the same?
Old 2016-08-09, 03:09   Link #73
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker

I've only watched until episode 16, so I'm not sure I have enough rights to say this, but let me just put my two cents:

Emilia is nowhere the horrible character most Remfaggots or HayashiTakara(which I observed is a hardcore SubaruXRem shipper) describes in the previous posts.

One must remember, that only Subaru retains all the experiences he had during each and every reset he undergoes. Subaru has, as the previous posts mentioned, put Emilia in a pedestal of adoration, which she does not understand why. She does not understand Subaru's almost maniacal devotion to her, which is why she is trying to understand, but eventually estranged her from him.
With the pressure of the society's prejudice on her, she wants someone who will treat her as equal, and she had hopes that Subaru will fulfill it, but alas, it didn;t.
Old 2016-08-09, 06:57   Link #74
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryuuoh DeltaPlus View Post
Remfaggots
Wow, you're starting out really well, around here, aren't you?

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 08:01   Link #75
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Wow, you're starting out really well, around here, aren't you?
Trust me dude.
Most people in my place who watch Re:Zero are those.
Old 2016-08-09, 08:24   Link #76
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Okay, then...

Old 2016-08-09, 08:52   Link #77
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Trust me dude.
Most people in my place who watch Re:Zero are those.
What BetoJR means is that if you are expecting meaningful discussion, you shouldn't start your argument by insulting the people that don't share your opinion. If you want is an echo chamber it doesn't matter, but otherwise calling the other side 'fags', other than showing homophobic insensitivity it will only put the other side on the defensive and less likely to listen to what you are saying.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-09, 09:16   Link #78
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
What BetoJR means is that if you are expecting meaningful discussion, you shouldn't start your argument by insulting the people that don't share your opinion. If you want is an echo chamber it doesn't matter, but otherwise calling the other side 'fags', other than showing homophobic insensitivity it will only put the other side on the defensive and less likely to listen to what you are saying.
Pretty much.

Old 2016-08-09, 20:28   Link #79
Ryuuoh DeltaPlus
A Random Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
Well, I guess you have a point.

Do pardon my rather crass language, as I'm not too used to doing formal discussiona.
Old 2016-08-10, 04:47   Link #80
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Well when all you're used to is discussing Fate waifus on 4chan...

Tags
characters