AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-01-27, 13:47   Link #41
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
I liked how he pushed the audiences' right buttons afterwards by saying he still loves them even though he knew they mostly wanted Tsonga the underdog to win, which definitely throws your concerns about his so-called attitude out of the window, Reckoner (which I hardly noticed).
He didn't display much of it during the match, but his ball bouncing thing before the serve is just plain annoying and he still does it after so many people complain about it on the tour. I think that's just being a jerk. The fans even were making comments in which the empire had to quiet them down. The reason he didn't display this though was because he only does it to the top ranked players, Tsonga isn't one yet, but he shall be one day.

So the Serbian won it and I'll offer him congrats though I don't like him, but I hope Federer can finally take the king of clay at the French Open this year. I really want him to break the Sampras record. Federer will actually start taking Djokovich seriously instead of just playing so passive against him, like he does to 95% of the tour these days.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-28, 02:05   Link #42
holyman282
Snape: "I hate Potter!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle View Post
I liked how he pushed the audiences' right buttons afterwards by saying he still loves them even though he knew they mostly wanted Tsonga the underdog to win, which definitely throws your concerns about his so-called attitude out of the window, Reckoner (which I hardly noticed).
The fact that Djokovic mentioned the audience cheering for Tsonga indicates that he has a attitude by actually paying attention to who they go and do not go for..

As for pushing the right buttons, well he won so he can afford to be a little gracious..

Djokovic I feel is a very sensitive person and cares too much about who the crowd is cheering for.. You saw it with his match against Federer, in which afterwards he stated that it felt like he was versing two opponents (federer and the crowd who cheers for Federer).

Anyway good match and congrats to Djokovic for winning it, I personally was going for Tsonga but hey it was a great match and you can't ask for anything more.
Old 2008-01-28, 08:51   Link #43
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
He didn't display much of it during the match, but his ball bouncing thing before the serve is just plain annoying and he still does it after so many people complain about it on the tour. I think that's just being a jerk.
Maybe it's just me, I'm used to watching the more "slow" games like clay and grass that I hardly find the ball bouncing thingy annoying. Maybe you're just anxious for his opponent to hurry up and break his serve due to your bias against him, while from my point of view I'm just wanting him to take it slowly and not rush due to my bias in favour of him.

Quote:
So the Serbian won it and I'll offer him congrats though I don't like him,
Disappointed to hear you say that, but then again, there are also some players I'm not quite fond of, so you're entitled to your opinion.

Quote:
but I hope Federer can finally take the king of clay at the French Open this year. I really want him to break the Sampras record. Federer will actually start taking Djokovich seriously instead of just playing so passive against him, like he does to 95% of the tour these days.
The Fed-Express will be back soon enough. Though my money's still on Nadal to eventually take over, as he's still 22.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyman282 View Post
The fact that Djokovic mentioned the audience cheering for Tsonga indicates that he has a attitude by actually paying attention to who they go and do not go for..
Hey, at least he's honest about it, and for that, I respect him. Unlike other more shameless sportsmen like Jose Morinho.

Quote:
As for pushing the right buttons, well he won so he can afford to be a little gracious..
Maybe you're right, but are you saying he'll throw a tantrum if he doesn't win? I don't think so.

Quote:
Djokovic I feel is a very sensitive person and cares too much about who the crowd is cheering for.. You saw it with his match against Federer, in which afterwards he stated that it felt like he was versing two opponents (federer and the crowd who cheers for Federer).
Well, he's only 20. OK, so maybe there are plenty his age who're more mature, but that's missing the whole point. In case you guys didn't know, Federer used to be quite a jerk on the court a very very long time ago as well, so Federer's only slightly better than him. The boy will learn.

Already he's learning to win even when the crowd is semi-hostile, he'll need this nerve if he's to succeed later on. Think of it as playing in an away ground.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 23:51   Link #44
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So who else thinks Roddick has no game, except his serve, which although fast is probably still not the best serve on tour.
Old 2008-01-31, 04:15   Link #45
boggart
渡辺曜のお兄さん

He sticks his ass out when he serves... I gotta try that next time - see if my serve speed increases...

I'm not a fan of Roddick so obviously I will have to agree with you.
boggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 08:21   Link #46
-Mad Skillz-
Kinetic 9

Send a message via MSN to -Mad Skillz-
Quote:
He didn't display much of it during the match, but his ball bouncing thing before the serve is just plain annoying and he still does it after so many people complain about it on the tour. I think that's just being a jerk. The fans even were making comments in which the empire had to quiet them down. The reason he didn't display this though was because he only does it to the top ranked players, Tsonga isn't one yet, but he shall be one day.
I dont get why people still make a big deal about the ball bouncing thing, when it is clearly a natural reaction he does in response to critical junctures of a match. He only does it in situations where his serve is critical, which basically signals that its a strategy he takes to calm/focus himself. The longer a match drags on, the more often he starts bouncing the ball on his serve. He only does it against the top ranked players because he rarely has a hard time disposing of anyone else (he can pretty much just play and win without putting in much thought).
-Mad Skillz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-31, 23:25   Link #47
dragonz20
Cantonese Dimples

Send a message via AIM to dragonz20
Djokovic is the next superstar of pro tennis. He's a bit immature but at least he's having fun out there. ever seen him do impressions of other players on the tour (sharapova, federer, nadal, and others)? pretty humorous...
dragonz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-03-08, 19:34   Link #48
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

So apparently Federer's recent losses were largely in part to him getting mono. Mono really sucks, I hope he can recover by the French or that would be quite sad.
Old 2008-05-25, 03:20   Link #49
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

French Open starting today, any predictions for how this will play out?

If Federer can't get his act together I think Nadal will just take it again.
Old 2008-05-25, 04:25   Link #50
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
Quote:
French Open starting today, any predictions for how this will play out?

If Federer can't get his act together I think Nadal will just take it again.
Well if what you say about Federer having "mono" being true then I hope Federer can recover fully to give the French a good shot. I always thought this would be his year to win the French because he failed to win the Australian, which he's won 3 years in a row. Almost like his safety net in someways. I think he deserves to win the French at least once and hope he can get to the final to give it another shot.

Though he has some tough opponents, especially Djokovic who could go all the way if he can play solidly and beat Federer. Nadal was lucky to beat Djokovic in Hamburg, but then Nadal always seems look down and out, only to end up wining the set from 5-1 down. He can definatly get to people mentally and beating him can show a lot about someones character.

Like when Federer beat him in Wimbledon last year, truly epic. Watching that was one of the highights of my life, let alone Federer's or Nadal's. So...to make a prediction for the French, whoever wins between Djokovic and Federer. If Federer is ill then Djokovic. I don't see Nadal winning this year.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-06-06, 09:18   Link #51
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Great match between the semi-final between Nadal and Djokovic.

Both look evenly matched in the first set, with Nadal edging out to win 6-4.

Then Djokovic was for some reason just disappointing in the second set, and Nadal easily won 6-2.

When Nadal led the third set 3-0, I thought what is going on with Djokovic? Fortunately, he picked himself up and chased back to 3-3. And then it was a see-saw to 5-5 and he even broke Nadal's serve to lead 6-5.

This was when Nadal caught on fire, first he forced a Tie Break, then in the Tie Break, he bulldozed his way to 6-0. Though Djokovic chased back to 6-3, Nadal eventually finished him off 7-6 and on to his fourth French Open final, aiming to beat Bjorn Borg's record of three consecutive titles. (Borg can be seen sitting in one of the stands in front)

Djokovic ought to be proud despite of the defeat, and he could learn something useful when playing Nadal on clay next time.

Edit: Since no one replied since my post, Federer has won, though he lost a set along the way to set up another final with Nadal.

Last edited by Kinny Riddle; 2008-06-06 at 12:38.
Old 2008-06-07, 00:08   Link #52
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Another clash of the titans in a third straight Roland Garros Final. Unfortunately I do not think Federer has what it takes this year after several poor performances to put down the matador. He will need to play exceptional and go to the net like he did against Fernando Gonzalez. I predict Nadal in 4.

Although I dislike Djokovich a lot, is was nice to see a good effort from him in that 3rd set. Nadal is just too much to handle though .
Old 2008-06-08, 10:59   Link #53
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

That has got to be the most one-sided Grand Slam final Federer has ever lost to Nadal. One would never have thought of him losing three straight sets, or even 6-0. A disappointing performance from Federer, though this is not to take anything away from Nadal, who was simply dominant in this match.

He's now equalled Bjorn Borg's record of 4 consecutive titles in Roland Garros. (Borg: 1978,1979,1980,1981; Nadal 2005,2006,2007,2008)

Let's hope Federer picks himself up soon in time for Wimbledon, because if things remain like that, Nadal might just finally beat Federer in Wimbledon. He forced Federer to five epic sets last year, and only narrowly lost out. And then there's always Djokovic breathing behind their necks.
Old 2008-07-01, 13:44   Link #54
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

This summer has been great for underdogs, it seems. We've just been delighted by beautiful football of Spain and Turkey at the Euro 2008, and now we get to cheer for Zheng Jie (ranked 133rd in the world), as she continues her fairytale run into the semi-finals of Wimbledon after beating 18th seed Nicole Vaidisova.

I only managed to watch the first set of today's match between her and Vaidisova (damned, these East European girls are so beautiful; yet another -ova with a glowing golden tan and a skimpy short skirt pristine white costume), and the first thing that struck me was how tiny Zheng seemed in comparison to Vaidisova.

Zheng didn't so much play beautifully as she did play determinedly. And when you're so small (1.64m — small for international tennis), speed and determination counts for everything (remember Michael Chang?). I thought, wow, if she continued playing this way, she might just win. I'm happy to find out that she just did.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 15:56   Link #55
Blizzer
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Somehow I've found myself watching Wimbledon, it's been interesting so far, especially Sharapova getting knocked out of the competition, maybe she didn't grunt loud enough this time.

Another surprise was Andy Murray's comeback against Gasquet, I was watching until he was two sets down and I thought to myself this is as far as he's going this time, I switched over and totally missed his awesome victory.
There's no doubt in my mind he won't reach the final with the likes of Nadal and Federer.

As for the winner I hate to admit it but I think Nadal is the most dominating force on the court, what's it been so far? was it two or three consecutive titles he won recently, they may as well call it Nadal-ball.

Another point I think is worth mentioning is sometimes the crowd are disruptive influences, I can understand cheering when a player scores but when a player misses it's a unsportsmanlike, they need to chuck them out.
Blizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-01, 16:25   Link #56
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I really don't know about Nadal being the most domineering force on the court so far. Federer has not dropped a single set yet, I think he has only dropped one service game too. Nadal has already played a couple 4 setters I think.

I'm going with the 5 time champ for this one, or maybe Safin .
Old 2008-07-02, 23:24   Link #57
Tran225

i really hope Jie Zheng beats Serena William because shes not only playing for her victory but shes playing so when she wins the million dollars its going straight to the donation to help out the earthquake that happened in China
Tran225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 05:43   Link #58
Kakashi
カカシ

Send a message via MSN to Kakashi
If Nadal and Federer both reach the final, it will be very intresting. Nadal is in incredible form...

But grass suits Federer's game so nicely. One handed backhands are very potent, but on clay it is extremely tough, even for Federer or any of the best players with one hand backhands. To suceed on clay with a one hander, you have to be extremely aggressive or else you start to hit balls above your shoulder which is a lot weaker than around your waist. However on grass Federer can play his natural game. It's going to be tough for Nadal to win but he has chance. Unless Federer plays like he did against him in Shanghai 2007. Then it's all over.

Federer does seem much more relaxed this year then in previous years. He wants to win again but knows the significance of what he has already accomplished on grass. Right now anything else is just a bonus. I have a feeling Federer will win it again this year, just a gut feeling. Though I wouldn't be suprised if Nadal managed to nick it.
Kakashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-07-03, 05:45   Link #59
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Remind me if I'm wrong, but in the modern era, has any 2 players dominated 2 surfaces like the Nadal and the Federer Expresses? I remember Pete (Sampras) being good on grass...
Old 2008-07-03, 05:46   Link #60
Westlo
Lets be reality

Nadal nearly won last year and he looks to have improved his grass court game and be in much better form. Didn't Safin also knock Federer out of the semis in the Aus Open he won against Hewitt? I've always liked Safin, kinda reminds me of Goran a bit and he's also pretty awesome to watch live (seen a few of his matches at the AUS Open which I've been going to for the last 6 years.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tennis