AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2012-07-09, 11:41   Link #341
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Ace striker is the opposite of Juggernaut: If all of your attack phases are done without failing once (as in time out), you earn that bonus.
Old 2012-07-09, 12:18   Link #342
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Thanks!
BTW for me it's more like "music novel" than "sound novel"
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 12:23   Link #343
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iby View Post
Thanks!
BTW for me it's more like "music novel" than "sound novel"
Actually, 07th Expansion -never- made any advertisment that RGD is a sound novel. It is labeled as a Novel Game.
Old 2012-07-09, 12:29   Link #344
Iby
minority spirit(?)
*Fansubber

Send a message via ICQ to Iby
Yeah, I know, but all of their previous games were sound novels.
Iby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-09, 12:33   Link #345
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Considering the concept of RGD and the technical changes along with other choices (mainly the artist etc), it is quite obvious RGD cannot be counted as in the same league as the rest of the other works.
Old 2012-07-10, 04:02   Link #346
BuuHuu

thanks witch hunt. that was fast. didnīt expected the english patch so soon.

also thanks to yirba. i changed it and now i can save/load anywhere.
BuuHuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 09:42   Link #347
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

I hope this somehow still turns into a mystery, with the Juri girl hunting for information from several people to try to form the puzzle of an incident

From the trailer, the chances are slim, though.

(And I hope they fix this bullshit of not allowing to save anywhere you want)
Old 2012-07-11, 11:48   Link #348
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacefrehley View Post
I hope this somehow still turns into a mystery
To be honest, while I enjoyed the mystery premise of the When They Cry series, it's nice to have a change. Despite what others may claim, Higanbana is not a mystery story, but I still had a lot of fun with it. I'm sure Rose Guns Days will be brilliant without it being a mystery, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theacefrehley View Post
(And I hope they fix this bullshit of not allowing to save anywhere you want)
I'm pretty sure there's a reason why 07th Expansion chose to not let the user save anywhere. Ryukishi07 has mentioned that they will increase the frequency of save points, so I wouldn't say it's a huge problem. There's a skip feature, after all.

Of course, myself or perhaps other people will look into the possibility of enabling such a feature. But I suspect this would cause problems, otherwise 07th Expansion wouldn't have disabled it in the first place.
Old 2012-07-11, 12:31   Link #349
Drifloon

Books let you resume from any point, so as far as I'm concerned visual novels should do the same.

Not that I've managed to motivate myself to download this yet (the concept just fails to interest me), but it sounds like a ridiculous step backwards not to allow saving anywhere. I can't see how it could possibly cause problems.
Drifloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 14:20   Link #350
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

I also feel that visual novels should allow the user to save wherever they want. I imagine 07th Expansion feel the same way, and I doubt they took the decision to disable such a feature lightly.

Well, from a technical perspective, it could potentially mess up the scoring system. This is not the case with the trailer version, but in the full game, there could be problems.

The game includes code to allow for a "save anywhere" feature. It's just been disabled. I'm not aware of the reason for doing that, but I'm sure there's got to be some reason for doing it, otherwise 07th Expansion might as well just leave the save system intact.
Old 2012-07-11, 18:54   Link #351
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yirba View Post
To be honest, while I enjoyed the mystery premise of the When They Cry series, it's nice to have a change. Despite what others may claim, Higanbana is not a mystery story, but I still had a lot of fun with it. I'm sure Rose Guns Days will be brilliant without it being a mystery, as well.

I'm pretty sure there's a reason why 07th Expansion chose to not let the user save anywhere. Ryukishi07 has mentioned that they will increase the frequency of save points, so I wouldn't say it's a huge problem. There's a skip feature, after all.

Of course, myself or perhaps other people will look into the possibility of enabling such a feature. But I suspect this would cause problems, otherwise 07th Expansion wouldn't have disabled it in the first place.
The thing is 07thExpansion made their name with mystery like sound novels.
Higanbana was ok, but it was not something which would make anyone big.

If RGD is short, only 1 or 2 releases, maybe I'll be able to swallow it. Let's see.

Also, when it is a mystery, we have threads with hundreds of pages of discussion, speculations, theories. And that's a lot of fun, imo. Almost as fun as reading the novel itself.

I doubt we'll have much discussion with this. Just like we didn't have with Higanbana. We'll read, give our feedback for a few weeks, and it dies until the next release.
Old 2012-07-11, 19:18   Link #352
GabrieliosP
黄金の魔女 Golden Witch

I think so too. While I greatly appreciated Higanbana and Rose Guns Days as much as I appreciated reading Higurashi and Umineko, I want a proper mystery series after RGD, though mainly because I want to see the birth and early discussions of the mystery, since I discovered Higurashi and Umineko after they were finished.
GabrieliosP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 19:39   Link #353
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

Hmmm… Yes, the discussions were a fun part of the experience. Hopefully 07th Expansion will be able to create more opportunities to have discussions, whether it's focussed on mystery or not.
Old 2012-07-11, 20:11   Link #354
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

I still remember when Higurashi anime (season I) was going on. Even though the visual novel was quite ahead of the anime, we were doing theories like crazy for stuff that was kind of answered already by the novels (most people couldn't read japanese at the time)

fun times
Old 2012-07-12, 07:15   Link #355
Auria

Thanks for the release, Witch Hunt. Your work is greatly appreciated.
Quick question to the people who already finished the demo: How long is it? (Playtime)
Auria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 07:46   Link #356
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

Not that long. It took about...errm, maybe 3-4 hours?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-12, 08:33   Link #357
theacefrehley
Guitar Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
Not that long. It took about...errm, maybe 3-4 hours?
I guess they had access to it before the general audience.
Old 2012-07-12, 10:52   Link #358
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

The demo itself is roughly around 2-3 hours worth of reading, which is approximately 1/6 - 1/7 of Umineko Episode 1.

Anyway, I personally greatly enjoyed RGD for something fresh to the point you can already have an idea how much fun Ryukishi had while writing it (it did flow quite naturally despite being miles away from what he usually writes).
The other solid point imho was the very minimal "nippon banzai!" (the likes of code geass) which was the very first point that worried me after glancing at the premise months ago: considering the 2012 portions and all, the possibility of having a story revolving around "liberating Japan" is completely null, so it is indeed more focalised on the action than really drama over politics etc.

I don't expect thorough discussions considering the nature of the story, but that's basically the same for other VN in general, so having a "standard" entertainment here before Ryukishi starts another "naku koro ni" series is definitely welcome.

By the way, 07th Expansion has announced RGD goods that will be released this summer:
http://www.07th-expansion.net/2012summer.htm

As expected, the CD albums will be available only at Doujin shops such like tora no ana, so importing them will be a chore...
Old 2012-07-13, 08:48   Link #359
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

It seems everyone's feedback reached Ryukishi.
In his new blog post, he says that in the retail version of RGD there will be two main changes:
1) You'll now be able to save anywhere.
2) You may now press Spacebar during battle scenes to trigger a "certain kill" and bypass them (for those who are unable to do them the normal way, like it was said some posts ago).
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-13, 10:35   Link #360
Yirba
Spider Lily Translations

That's good to hear. I suppose that's most people's worries dealt with.

Tags
ryukishi07, spoiler, visual novel