Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Log Horizon

Notices

Old 2013-11-15, 19:33   Link #961
Ayulsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaricia View Post
Well I suppose that's true.

Wait Soujiro/Samurai can dual wield?
Yes, it states so in their class builds.

It seems like Katanas can be wielded with a 2 handed grip, or just 1 handed at the cost of less damage but being able to dual-wield
Ayulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 21:12   Link #962
Ganja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayulsa View Post
If you're going to theory-craft you'd have to take into account Crusty's Axe attack speed which would be a lot lower than Soujiro's Iai style or his dual wield style. Guardian only has a few huge skills to begin with, with normal attacks as filler. He can only drain HP if he can deal damage. Soujiro also seems to have real life swordsmanship experience, I'd assume he'd be able to dodge most of it and parry without usage of skills.
They stress often that Samurai have very long CD on skills, but they are powerful enough to end an encounter

Of course they typically go 2H for proper katana usage

Think dual wield is more for parry/riposte techs. Semi-tanky
Ganja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 22:42   Link #963
Ayulsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganja View Post
They stress often that Samurai have very long CD on skills, but they are powerful enough to end an encounter

Of course they typically go 2H for proper katana usage

Think dual wield is more for parry/riposte techs. Semi-tanky
There's nothing stopping him from just parry and dodging. It's not limited by game rules anymore. Just because your stuff is on cooldown doesn't mean you can't move or lift your sword to block.

I'm not saying Soujiro/Samurai is better, but weapon selection-wise, the katana has the upper hand over Crusty's giant 2h axe for just mobility.
Old 2013-11-15, 22:44   Link #964
Drkz
( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/

Dual wield probably is the glass canon build. It goes for all out damage. Its hard to counter with two swords. Its also easier to miss a attack as well.
Old 2013-11-15, 23:24   Link #965
Ayulsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
Dual wield probably is the glass canon build. It goes for all out damage. Its hard to counter with two swords. Its also easier to miss a attack as well.
Duel wield is just a trade of stronger single hits for weaker multiple hits. If you try to attack while dual-wield manually then yeah it would be more difficult but if you stick to attacking only through the game rules then in some cases (Iai) style it would probably be more effective since you can parry and attack and the same time.
Old 2013-11-16, 00:00   Link #966
tsunade666

I think in terms of pvp. 1 vs 1 term. In akiba, the top are Isaac, crusty, and souji. Not counting William because he is in susukino. But I think William is much better because he can long range and melee. But I wonder how he build his character.

Crusty's build is good for raid or pve and not PvP. His weapon increase in damage with more mob or aggro he manage to take while Isaac has return damage of mob. Both weapon are real deal pve weapons that are good for mob clearing. Souji's weapon has spirit assist on him but all his skill are mostly one hit kill with long cooldown.

If I look at it from character type perspective. Even if samurai has taunting skill, its more for one on one or pvp. It doesn't have good crowd control skills, unlike guardian.

Monk is totally different with combo skills and short cool down. Its probably good foe PvP or raid boss kills.
Old 2013-11-16, 00:09   Link #967
Drkz

No it works for PvP as well. He can still deal a lot of punishment in a 1 v 1. High leveled guilds rarely are PvE oriented. They're mainly PvP. It just means trying to gank Krusty just got a whole lot harder. Usually you'd want to over power a person with numbers. But in Krusty's case he'll get a whole lot stronger. Not to mention his accessory item. Those 20 seconds will be the most painful of anyone's life.
Old 2013-11-16, 02:13   Link #968
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkz View Post
No it works for PvP as well. He can still deal a lot of punishment in a 1 v 1. High leveled guilds rarely are PvE oriented. They're mainly PvP. It just means trying to gank Krusty just got a whole lot harder. Usually you'd want to over power a person with numbers. But in Krusty's case he'll get a whole lot stronger. Not to mention his accessory item. Those 20 seconds will be the most painful of anyone's life.
I would question that statement that high-level guilds are rarely PvE oriented; often the case, they are exclusively PvE oriented, in particular, progression guilds like the one Krusty leads. Especially in Log Horizon, Elder Tales doesn't seem to be a particularly PvP oriented MMO, and more akin to the PvE focus found in FFXIV, of which Mamare plays, if I recall. PvP in a setting like Elder Tales could be very exploitable, if there was PvP on a large-scale, I would wonder why players haven't sacked a kingdom or went on a king-killing-spree yet, just because they could .

Regardless, Krusty is still in full-endgame tier; that puts him on a level above many normal adventurers. More so in Elder Tales, which appears to lack a system like Dutyfinder or LF Raid that would allow casual players access to the top raids.
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 04:46   Link #969
Avaricia
My Lord

I know this is out of topic but, I can't seem to find a game thread for LH so I'll post it here.
New Korean MMO (similar to RO)

Last edited by Avaricia; 2013-11-16 at 04:57.
Avaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 13:27   Link #970
Occulus
〜(^∇^〜) (〜^∇^)〜

Log Horizon West Wind Brigade Chapter 2:
https://boards.4chan.org/a/res/96883246

Why is Crusty so badass?
Occulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 14:31   Link #971
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occulus View Post

Why is Crusty so badass?
because he wears glasses.
Old 2013-11-16, 16:26   Link #972
Avaricia
My Lord

Quote:

Why is Crusty so badass?
Because his eyes got vector change
Avaricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-16, 17:09   Link #973
Drkz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaricia View Post
Because his eyes got vector change
HAHAHAHA.

That was bloody brilliant.
Old 2013-11-16, 20:26   Link #974
balongbitz
Ordinary Bystander

Log Horizon Volume 4 chapter 2:
http://boards.4chan.org/a/res/96903438
Old 2013-11-16, 21:21   Link #975
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Question for Aohige and others with the physical copies of book 7: how does Demicas go from this humongous arsehole in book 1 to, if things are to be believed, this henpecked guy in book 7?
Old 2013-11-16, 22:07   Link #976
balongbitz
Ordinary Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
Question for Aohige and others with the physical copies of book 7: how does Demicas go from this humongous arsehole in book 1 to, if things are to be believed, this henpecked guy in book 7?
i thought volume 7 will be published on December 20?
Old 2013-11-16, 22:09   Link #977
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by balongbitz View Post
i thought volume 7 will be published on December 20?
Uhm, the web version was what I was referencing, sorry for the confusion.

But yes, book 7 is complete, its just that the physical version won't be out until December.
Old 2013-11-17, 02:36   Link #978
LystAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by balongbitz View Post
Log Horizon Volume 4 chapter 2:
http://boards.4chan.org/a/res/96903438
Going by the discussion at the end, is Nureha is quite popular, despite currently being an opponent. I hope she joins Log Horizon soon enough that she'll be a primary character for more books. Anyone know how many books Mamare is going to write for Log Horizon?
LystAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 03:05   Link #979
Occulus
〜(^∇^〜) (〜^∇^)〜

Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
Going by the discussion at the end, is Nureha is quite popular, despite currently being an opponent. I hope she joins Log Horizon soon enough that she'll be a primary character for more books. Anyone know how many books Mamare is going to write for Log Horizon?

Well, she is one of the 3 possible pairings for Shiroe after all (by the way, was this confirmed by the author?). So, once she gets rescued, she's probably going to be hanging around with him.

And I'm not sure if this is what Mamare said or just somebody trollling around, but Mamare's currently released about half of the plot. No citation was given for this so take it with a grain of salt.
Occulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-17, 07:52   Link #980
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
He's had a tough life the last one year, lost pretty much everything, including his pride and dignity.

Quote:
Well, she is one of the 3 possible pairings for Shiroe after all (by the way, was this confirmed by the author?). So, once she gets rescued, she's probably going to be hanging around with him.

And I'm not sure if this is what Mamare said or just somebody trollling around, but Mamare's currently released about half of the plot. No citation was given for this so take it with a grain of salt.
Nureha is one of the heroines Mamare planned from the beginning.
source is his post in Narou (the website where Log Horizon is published) forum.

As for half way through, Mamare commented that on the Narou website when the part 2 of Log Horizon started with the sixth novel. (the anime will cover exactly all of the part 1)

Tags
alternate reality, database, economics, political theory, spoilers