AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hanasaku Iroha

Notices

View Poll Results: Hanasaku Iroha - Episode 9 Rating
Perfect 10 10 16.95%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 24 40.68%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 17 28.81%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 8.47%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.69%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 3.39%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-05-29, 12:09   Link #21
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
I am very glad that all the dire predictions from other posters about how Ohana's impulsive behavior is only used to set up the drama over a potential love triangle did not come true. Phew...
I'm about to watch the episode in a bit, but going by what I've been reading about this episode, being one of said posters and despite Ohana's rash decision last episode annoyed me, I'm glad to be wrong.
Old 2011-05-29, 12:11   Link #22
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I'm about to watch the episode in a bit, but going by what I've been reading about this episode, being one of said posters and despite Ohana's rash decision last episode annoyed me, I'm glad to be wrong.
I donno... I got the complete opposite perception... but then again it might be just me. Probably best if you watch the ep yourself .
Old 2011-05-29, 12:17   Link #23
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodi View Post
It appears that they can't give out the names of those who attend the wedding. As you recall, they refuse to let Ohana go through the list.
Letting a stranger through an entire guest list is slightly different then asking for a specific name and letting an attendee search through it. In my humble opinion of course.
Old 2011-05-29, 12:50   Link #24
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

That new girl... looks bad. I mean, she looks very good. Which looks bad. For Ko x Ohana. (though maybe she's a bit too mature for Ko. If Ohana's any indication, he likes them kinda childish.)

Such a shame - they'd finally reopened communication lines in full, calling each other and stuff.
Old 2011-05-29, 13:20   Link #25
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
A very solid conclusion to what was something of an epic two-parter. I didn't like this episode quite as much as the last one, but it was still one of the better episodes of the 9 we've had so far, imo.

I also think this episode did loads of good for the characters of Tohru, Minchi, and Ohana. Tohru, in particular, shined in this episode, I felt. He handled the whole situation incredibly well, with not the slightest degree of annoyance or lack of professionalism.

I did like the touch near the end where the mystery guests were not who Jiromaru thought they were, and how perhaps they only ended up being pleased due to Ohana's actions and philosophy of treating all customers the same. It was a nice reinforcement of Ohana's approach, and a good personal success moment for her, I felt.

Now, like acejem, I see some similarities between this and True Tears, but in a somewhat different way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejem View Post

Spoiler for Massive True Tears Spoiler. Open at your own risk:
Spoiler for True Tears, and how it relates to Hanasaku Iroha:

Last edited by Triple_R; 2011-05-29 at 13:31.
Old 2011-05-29, 13:29   Link #26
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Is it okay if I got tears in my eyes at the end, when grandma said: "I'm back"? Very good episode. Leave out the stupid humour of the management consultant and the novelist, though, please.

Running the romantic hints in both directions: Ohana feels closer to Kou-chan, while Tooru feels closer to Ohana. TooruxOhana shippers can have their fun now, but the story is young. She liked seeing Minchi and Tooru together. When she smelt Tooru's hair in the helmet, she thought of Kou. Too bad Kou went back rather than showing up to help. But coming unannounced was ridiculous, anyway, which he finally realized.

However, I agree with Kanon that the girl at Kou's workplace was too well-drawn to be unimportant....

I thought Omigawa Chiaki was excellent here. And Itou Kanae has me believing. The slight hoarseness and urgency of Ohana's voice give her individuality and a kind of moe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutbutter
...About the old lady and her daughter, the daughter was voiced by Kaoru Mizuhara, did she pulled her real mum in to act as her mum...?
I checked the credits and ja.Wikipedia and Katakai Kaoru 片貝薫 (who played the mother) and Mizuhara Kaoru 水原薫 (the "secret guest" daughter) share the same given name, but not the same surname. Ms. Katakai has done a number of minor older women characters over the past few years, but mainly makes her living from doing TV/film dubbing, it appears. She may be older than Ms. Mizuhara, but probably not enough to be her real mother.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-05-29 at 14:13.
Old 2011-05-29, 14:01   Link #27
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Everything was perfect except Ko getting royally screwed over. I don't even know if there was a misunderstanding or not, but Ko's pensive expression makes me think he's starting to doubt his relationship with Ohana. Please don't give up Ko. For the love of God if the writers keep screwing around with him I'm going to throw such a shitstorm like you've never se-WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING IN THAT PREVIEW, TOHRU?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
That new girl... looks bad.
*Is loading the gun*
Old 2011-05-29, 14:05   Link #28
Austin1
Work=FUN!!!1ONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Everything was perfect except Ko getting royally screwed over. I don't even know if there was a misunderstanding or not, but Ko's pensive expression makes me think he's starting to doubt his relationship with Ohana. Please don't give up Ko. For the love of God if the writers keep screwing around with him I'm going to throw such a shitstorm like you've never se-WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING IN THAT PREVIEW, TOHRU?!?!
Ko is one of the most realistic characters I have ever seen in an anime. How he is acting is just how acted after telling my best friend that I liked her. You don't know what to do. You try to keep being friends but the more and more you continue just as friends the more it hurts. I see him going out with that other girl, mainly because I did the same thing.
Old 2011-05-29, 14:19   Link #29
Irisiel

I dunno, but I don't want Kou-chan and Ohana to become boy and girlfriend, mainly because they are adorable as friends. Maybe if they are each other's first crushes but then ends up supporting each other about going out with other people (like Kou dating that new girl and Ohana being oblivious with Tooru, yet Kou sees right through her and gently nudges her to notice it).

Furthermore, the belief Ohana has in Tooru fixing things was also a nice moment of flag waving, especially as she did so with a healthy dose of belief in her own decisions (all too often belief in another character usually means that the believing character has no belief in themselves). That Kou-chan encouraged her was also cute and he's right, good or bad decisions, Ohana needs to believe in the decisions she make and go through with them, or otherwise the inn is short a cook AND a waitress, so quitting wasn't really an option.

And Nako hovering threateningly was awesome, considering her usual shrinking personality.

But really, this was an episode for Ohana and Tooru to shine (though all characters did to a certain extent), and for Kou-chan to learn a little about what kind of life Ohana has in her new home.
Old 2011-05-29, 15:58   Link #30
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Have to give Ko some credit. The guy made that long journey only to not be able to see Ohana and went back instead f showing up in front of her. It wasn't all a waste though because he was able to cheer up Ohana to complete her mission.

Surprised that she was able to find Tohru in time. Nice moments of them two together. Though Ohana never stopped thinking about Ko. Even when she smelt Tohru's helmet she thought of Ko. That new girl gives off a bad vibe.

Good thing Ren was able to get back on track after Tohru showed up. Minchi must have been happy to have fed Tohru like that. At least he approved of her food. Lol at her getting angry when she saw Ohana watching them.

That notebook really did come in handy. Jiromaru was just too funny again. So in the end the inn was able to function without the grandma thanks t Ohana's plan.
Old 2011-05-29, 16:02   Link #31
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Spoiler for True Tears, and how it relates to Hanasaku Iroha:
Haven't seen that other show, but I'm largely agreeing with you here. Prior to this episode I didn't have much opinion about what was going to happen here with Ko, but now...we're almost at the halfway point, and Ko's BIG attempt to try to reconnect with Ohana after a month of not seeing her has kind of gone under, and worse yet, is the fact that Ohana doesn't even know he tried.

This...just doesn't look like it's going to work out. There simply hasn't been enough personal development between Ohana and Ko's for them to base off into a sustainable relationship. Not when they're so far apart. And I don't see Ko immediately swinging back after his last attempt failed. (Just look at how pathetic this guy lokos)

Spoiler for I'm so ronery:

Everything about Ohana's character is developing except her relationship with ko. And I don't really consider Ko playing moral support counts. Ohana GREATLY appreciated Ko doing it...but the reason she was so enthusiastic was because it helped her support her job, which she's now putting so much love and energy into. You saw that last week when Ohana didn't immediately return his phone calls. Ohana now considers her work (new life) to take precedence over her old one.

By the time Ohana meets Ko again, will she even be the same person?
Old 2011-05-29, 16:07   Link #32
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Haven't seen that other show, but I'm largely agreeing with you here. Prior to this episode I didn't have much opinion about what was going to happen here with Ko, but now...we're almost at the halfway point, and Ko's BIG attempt to try to reconnect with Ohana after a month of not seeing her has kind of gone under, and worse yet, is the fact that Ohana doesn't even know he tried.

This...just doesn't look like it's going to work out. There simply hasn't been enough personal development between Ohana and Ko's for them to base off into a sustainable relationship. Not when they're so far apart. And I don't see Ko immediately swinging back after his last attempt failed. (Just look at how pathetic this guy lokos)

Spoiler for I'm so ronery:

Everything about Ohana's character is developing except her relationship with ko. And I don't really consider Ko playing moral support counts. Ohana GREATLY appreciated Ko doing it...but the reason she was so enthusiastic was because it helped her support her job, which she's now putting so much love and energy into. You saw that last week when Ohana didn't immediately return his phone calls. Ohana now considers her work (new life) to take precedence over her old one.

By the time Ohana meets Ko again, will she even be the same person?
Good points, and I agree.

Even if I hadn't watched True Tears, I'd feel much the same way. It's just through having seen True Tears, I can see where Okada is playing out a very similar romance conflict all over again, albeit with the twist that it's now the childhood friend who is cast into "moral support" but likely without any lasting romantic benefits accompanying that.

Like yourself, I doubt Ko will bounce back easily from this.
Old 2011-05-29, 16:07   Link #33
deadite

Who is the seiyuu of the new girl?
Old 2011-05-29, 16:11   Link #34
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I don't know. I didn't hate the episode of course, I gave it an 8/10, but the reason I didn't rate it any higher is because I felt the episode was a tiny bit awkwardly composed?

The whole Ko subplot just feels too thrown in there. Not only that, but it seems its trolling the audience. I never like trolling.

I don't know though. I was entertained, but I'd be lying if I didn't say that I was a little underwhelmed?

Well supposedly next episode is supposed to be good as well.

At this rate, I might be supporting some love triangle drama to spice up this show a bit.
Old 2011-05-29, 16:22   Link #35
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadite View Post
Who is the seiyuu of the new girl?
I think it's Nanjou Yoshino (also singer of fripSide). She is credited next to Kouichi (Kaji Yuuki) in the end-credits. Having a fairly well-known seiyuu in that role is another indication that she is important. I think her name is Namiko 波子.

I agree with Reckoner in being a bit put off by apparent trolling -- either with Kou-chan or with Tooru, hard to know yet.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2011-05-29, 16:28   Link #36
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Good points, and I agree.

Even if I hadn't watched True Tears, I'd feel much the same way. It's just through having seen True Tears, I can see where Okada is playing out a very similar romance conflict all over again, albeit with the twist that it's now the childhood friend who is cast into "moral support" but likely without any lasting romantic benefits accompanying that.

Like yourself, I doubt Ko will bounce back easily from this.
I'm actually seeing a comparison to Super Dimensional Fortress Macross of all things!

Ohana/Hikaru Ichijo: A young, inexperienced person starting a job that brings about a new chapter in their lives.

Tohru/Misa Hayase: A seemingly gruff and callous coworker for Ohana/Hikaru, whom they dislike initially, but turns out to have a much softer side. Interact with the main character meaningfully on a regular basis under working conditions, growing closer.

Ko/Lynn Minmei: The childish romance interest of the Main character, from before they took on their new maturing career, which has substantially limited meaningful contact with each other. They slowly start drifting apart despite strong initial connection.

I guess this is the most profound influence I've had in terms of how I view the potential dynamic going on here. And while Macross didn't have a Minchi crushing over the work place love interst could very well alter the dynamic on that end, I'm not really seeing how it does much good on the initial innocent love interest.

IMHO? We're either getting OhanaXTohru and KoXGlasses girl, or MinchiXTohru and KoXGlasses girl, with Ohana with a demure smile across her lips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
The whole Ko subplot just feels too thrown in there. Not only that, but it seems its trolling the audience. I never like trolling.
But I love trolling

Though more seriously. This seemed pretty deliberately inserted to me as a means for the writer to signify that there are cracks to this long range relationship OhanaXKo have with each other.
Old 2011-05-29, 16:41   Link #37
Shadow5YA

Why didn't Ko just stay at a hotel near Kissuiso and come visit Ohana later?
Old 2011-05-29, 16:50   Link #38
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Spoiler for true tears:
Spoiler for true tears:

Maybe Ko starting to hang out with another girl might awaken some feelings Ohana has,maybe she'll feel a bit jealous.

Also a reminder about the "godly" 10th episode.First,from applejuice's blog here's a picture of the original tweet:

Spoiler for picture:

-It's by character designer Mel Kishida NOT Mari Okada
-I still don't know if "godly" refers to the episode as a whole or just the animation.
Old 2011-05-29, 17:02   Link #39
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Why didn't Ko just stay at a hotel near Kissuiso and come visit Ohana later?
I suppose we are meant to think he realized he was out of place, but I agree with you. More awkward plotting, is how I saw it.

As for the rush to TooruxOhana, I can't be sure, since they are trolling in all directions, but I want to lay out a couple things that point toward Ohana getting together with Kou-chan: (1) when she smelt Tooru's hair in the helmet, she went immediately to thinking of Kou-chan, "maybe his hair smells like this, too," i.e., maybe he's a man, too, and I could think of him differently; (2) she was exceedingly grateful to him and thought of what he has always meant to her, which at least is far from forgetting him; (3) she was pleased to see Minchi and Tooru relating in the kitchen, and I simply cannot imagine her stealing Minchi's beloved.

I'm not sensing cracks in the KouxOhana relationship. I'm seeing them already separated but beginning to grow back toward each other -- which could come in a few episodes, after adventures with their alternative partners.

Or not. But at least I don't think it's anything like a done deal either way. Of course, I shipped Noe in true tears, so perhaps I just can't read Okada Mari's mind, lol.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2011-05-29 at 17:28.
Old 2011-05-29, 17:13   Link #40
HandofFate

i feel bad for Ko.