AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

Old 2007-05-06, 08:26   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann - Q & A

This thread is for those of you with questions about the Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann anime. Please keep discussion about episodes in the relevant threads, the purpose of this thread is to ask questions that can actually be answered by facts from the anime or other source material.

Make sure you use spoiler tags if your question is from any non-anime source. Untagged spoilers are risking a ban.

How to create spoiler tags!
  • Simply click on this icon which can be found in the Quick Reply or Reply to Thread template (and make sure you include a title for the spoiler tag).
  • For more information on the spoiler tag, please read the BB Code FAQ.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 20:37   Link #2
quina

Send a message via MSN to quina
Same person??

Kiyoh

Girl in promotional poster, Expected to be important
quina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 20:49   Link #3
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by quina View Post
Same person??

Kiyoh

Girl in promotional poster, Expected to be important
Spoiler:
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-06, 22:27   Link #4
quina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinndou View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Old 2007-05-07, 11:43   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Considering the amount of screen time females have gotten in the first four episodes ... I just find that director's quote in the spoiler endlessly amusing. Sure the center of the show is the "coming of age / buddy" dynamic but that "ranged sniper" is definitely an important part of the team and repeatedly a story catalyst in what we've seen so far.
Old 2007-05-07, 19:53   Link #6
Lost

Actually, it's true that she hasn't been in the spotlight thus far. Fittingly for a sniper; in not only combat action, but I think that her contribution to plot, while major, has mostly been from the background (motivating Simon, unknowingly setting up the meeting with Viral, being last to join the team as they left, and in episode 5, literally bringing down the Ganmen); except in the first episode, when she was really at the forefront (soon eclipsed by Kamina, tho).
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-07, 20:28   Link #7
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

That's why I used the term catalyst -- not much is required to send the other ingredients spinning in new directions or combinations
Old 2007-06-17, 12:04   Link #8
wpninja

I was just wondering which torrents don't have that annoying time displayer. Does anyone here happen to know?
wpninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 13:17   Link #9
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpninja View Post
I was just wondering which torrents don't have that annoying time displayer. Does anyone here happen to know?
Most of them say "clock-less". Also, TV Japan's.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 20:24   Link #10
wpninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
Most of them say "clock-less". Also, TV Japan's.
Thanks 7Th. Also one more question, I heard that the scripts for all the episodes have already been made. My question is how many episodes long is this series supposed to be?
wpninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-06-17, 20:57   Link #11
Takeo
Jetsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpninja View Post
Also one more question, I heard that the scripts for all the episodes have already been made. My question is how many episodes long is this series supposed to be?
26 episodes
Old 2007-07-08, 04:10   Link #12
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

I've been wanting to ask this for a while now, but keeps slipping my mind.

We all know the Kobayashi/GL 4 fiasco, and that due to the negative response to the change, there wasn't going to be anymore experimenting and all episodes post-4 retained a similar sense of direction and style.

Whether or not people like GL4 and Kobayashi's style/direction is something for somewhere else, but I would like to know if we knew any other "styles" or guest animation directors/stuff they were planning to bring into GL before it was canned?... I dunno, like Yuasa?

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-08, 08:48   Link #13
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
I've been wanting to ask this for a while now, but keeps slipping my mind.

We all know the Kobayashi/GL 4 fiasco, and that due to the negative response to the change, there wasn't going to be anymore experimenting and all episodes post-4 retained a similar sense of direction and style.

Whether or not people like GL4 and Kobayashi's style/direction is something for somewhere else, but I would like to know if we knew any other "styles" or guest animation directors/stuff they were planning to bring into GL before it was canned?... I dunno, like Yuasa?
That information was never revealed and I'm pretty sure the episodes aired up to this point were aired how they were originally supposed to be aired. Nevertheless, Yuasa wouldn't be as experimental as Kobayashi to be honest, at least he wouldn't use an slide-show animation in the eyes of the public.
Old 2007-07-17, 08:33   Link #14
Biswa

I watched only the first episode of this show. It has a very FLCL feel to it, does anyone agree? Is there any connection between the shows i.e. producers, animators, etc.
Biswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-17, 08:40   Link #15
quina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biswa View Post
I watched only the first episode of this show. It has a very FLCL feel to it, does anyone agree? Is there any connection between the shows i.e. producers, animators, etc.
Its by Gainax;
Animate team changes every week.
Old 2007-07-23, 00:59   Link #16
gvozden
Waterproofed Legion

Are they gonna decipher Rossiu's book anytime soon?
gvozden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-23, 01:28   Link #17
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
http://www.gainax.co.jp/anime/gurren-lagann/chara.html

According to Gainax's website, every character except for Simon, Yoko, Viral and Old Coco now have surnames. Though, their surnames are just the names of the villages (or in Nia's case, the beastman's former capital). Though this isn't that bad, as we learned that the Black Brethren came from a village called "Bachika".
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-11, 13:05   Link #18
Onceknown

What's the difference between Nia and Hanrasen Nia?
Onceknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-11, 13:17   Link #19
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onceknown View Post
They're pretty much the same person... to certain degree. Hanrasen Nia is Nia after her Anti-Spiral genetic code activated and closed-off her human feelings. Think of it as Darker than Black's contractors but with a purpose.
Old 2007-08-11, 15:30   Link #20
quina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onceknown View Post
the main different is Dark Nia is about 10x hotter and billion times stronger. I hope she start beam spamming soon, may be its coming up in ep 22.