AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Gundam

Notices

Old 2012-06-14, 06:13   Link #1461
MasterVampire

Guys the only Gundam series I have watched is 00.
I was thinking of watching unicorn but will i be totally lost and confused if i do?
Dont really have time to watch the old series and dont really like the dated look aswell.
MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 06:35   Link #1462
rakusukira

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post
I was thinking of watching unicorn but will i be totally lost and confused if i do?
Dont really have time to watch the old series and dont really like the dated look aswell.
no you won't be lost and confused but you will appreciate the series more if you watched the older series. Trust me, the UC universe (next to Gundam SEED, in my opinion) is the best
rakusukira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 07:20   Link #1463
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterVampire View Post
you probably need to do some background reading for series before. but is not really confusing for newcomer

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 10:06   Link #1464
RX93-2
White Unicorn

Just watch it, you will miss some context but you can find that on the wikia.
RX93-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-14, 10:40   Link #1465
casval cehack

MasterVampire, the Unicorn OVA will be your gateway drug to the Universal Century timeline.
Old 2012-06-14, 22:29   Link #1466
rakusukira

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post
MasterVampire, the Unicorn OVA will be your gateway drug to the Universal Century timeline.
Amen to this
Old 2012-06-15, 00:01   Link #1467
celestialguy

I just finished watching ep5 and I must say it's the best episode so far! Great action coupled with awesome bg music! It can't get any better than this.
celestialguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 01:09   Link #1468
saurers123

I have a question. What's the difference between Banagher and Kira? Okay...I'm kind of...in the slow side.
saurers123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 04:42   Link #1469
Destined_Fate

What's similiar about them?
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-01, 08:54   Link #1470
saurers123

^I heard some people say that both are always right, both are quite Mary-suish, both are pacifists...and some other stuffs.
Old 2012-07-01, 08:59   Link #1471
konart

And here goes the full list of the similar characters...
Old 2012-07-01, 09:22   Link #1472
saurers123

Okay.....not the answer I was looking for. Was my question that bad?
Old 2012-07-01, 11:54   Link #1473
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurers123 View Post
Okay.....not the answer I was looking for. Was my question that bad?
what is answer you looking for

i can list differences and similarity between 2 and probably not much different/similarity with other MC protagonist

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-02, 19:55   Link #1474
rakusukira

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurers123 View Post
I have a question. What's the difference between Banagher and Kira? Okay...I'm kind of...in the slow side.

well, I say Banagher is more grounded than Kira ever was..

i could list a few similarities but actually, Banagher is just one of those gundam main hero stereotypes so yeah ..
Old 2012-07-11, 04:25   Link #1475
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakusukira View Post
well, I say Banagher is more grounded than Kira ever was..

i could list a few similarities but actually, Banagher is just one of those gundam main hero stereotypes so yeah ..
No he's not, at least not in the UC universe. Most UC universe heros don't have problems killing enemies - they may bitch and moan about it, but when they have to pull the trigger they do it.

Banagher is an idealist pacifist like Kira who flat out refuses to kill *anyone* in the end, he stands out like a sore thumb amongst the old Gundam heros and more in line with the post SEED AU ones.
houkoholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 10:05   Link #1476
JC...
I am a Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by houkoholic View Post
Banagher is an idealist pacifist like Kira who flat out refuses to kill *anyone* in the end...
You mean he doesn't kill anyone in the finale of the series, or that he has never killed anyone?

He has intentional kills on a Dreissen and a Geara Doga, as well as the willingness to destroy Full Frontal in return for Audrey's safety. Though admittedly he has other unintentional kills and a kill as a result of psycommu backflow...

And when did not-killing become a negative quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Just rent it from the store. It's like $6.
Also, I second this. No point complaining to other people that you can't illegally view something. At least keep it to yourself.
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-11, 11:54   Link #1477
rakusukira

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC... View Post
You mean he doesn't kill anyone in the finale of the series, or that he has never killed anyone?

He has intentional kills on a Dreissen and a Geara Doga, as well as the willingness to destroy Full Frontal in return for Audrey's safety. Though admittedly he has other unintentional kills and a kill as a result of psycommu backflow...

Also, I second this. No point complaining to other people that you can't illegally view something. At least keep it to yourself.
hhmm.. seems like "not-killing" has become a crime these days. one thing common about Kira and Banagher is that, if you push them to the edge, they won't hesitate to kill . Like when Audrey was in danger, Banagher was so focused trying to destroy Full Frontal. When Fllay died, Kira killed Rau.
Old 2012-07-12, 03:02   Link #1478
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:

After Loni he decides that he shall not kill anyone, just like when Kira got Freedom he decides he won't kill anyone.

Quote:
If you talk about life in general it isn't a negative thing, but it is hypocritical stance to take during war, especially the way these no-kill policy is written and shown on screen. Look at when Loni was going psycho and murdering people left and right yet Banagher insists on talking her out of it, so Loni's life is so precious that he insists in not killing her, but what about those innocent others whom Loni had killed while he is trying to talk her out it? While the writers were trying to make us think it is "fighting in a war is hard" or that "every life is precious", they achieved the exact opposite effect on me - they only managed to show that only the faced characters have value and the faceless ones are completely worthless.

Tomino's Gundam handles this much better on both ends - in numerous occasions he would show the protagonist themselves pushing aside their feels and do the right thing by pulling the trigger on the loved one who's gone on a psychotic rampage (eg Kamiyu killing Rosami in the Psycho Gundam MkII) and then personally taking on the emotional burden associated with dealing the killing blow, and on the other hand he also inserts nameless grunts calling out the names of their love ones or mother in the explosions when the protagonists kills them, it's short but full of impact and gives even the nameless grunts a brief showing of their humanity. Note that none of the new shows manages to do something similar to what Tomino did, like the MS Loni vapourizes are just that - robots made of cold metal, you never get to see the pilots she kills, yet they make great pain to show Loni being vapourized in the explosion as a cheap gimmick to give her and *only her* a human face, forced the guilt onto Riddhe and make him look bad while Banagher gets to claim credit for being clean, and expect the viewer to take a similar stance as Banagher (or Kira for that matter), sorry but that trick simply doesn't work on me.
Old 2012-07-12, 03:10   Link #1479
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:

After Loni he decides that he shall not kill anyone, just like when Kira got Freedom he decides he won't kill anyone.

Quote:
If you talk about life in general it isn't a negative thing, but it is hypocritical stance to take during war, especially the way these no-kill policy is written and shown on screen. Look at when Loni was going psycho and murdering people left and right yet Banagher insists on talking her out of it, so Loni's life is so precious that he insists in not killing her, but what about those innocent others whom Loni had killed while he is trying to talk her out it? While the writers were trying to make us think it is "fighting in a war is hard" or that "every life is precious", they achieved the exact opposite effect on me - they only managed to show that only the faced characters have value and the faceless ones are completely worthless.

Tomino's Gundam handles this much better on both ends - in numerous occasions he would show the protagonist themselves pushing aside their feels and do the right thing by pulling the trigger on the loved one who's gone on a psychotic rampage (eg Kamiyu killing Rosami in the Psycho Gundam MkII) and taking on the emotional burden of dealing the killing blow, and on the other hand he also inserts nameless grunts calling out the names of their love ones or mother in the explosions when the protagonists kills them, it's short but full of impact and gives even the nameless grunts a brief showing of their humanity. Note that none of the new shows manages to do something similar to what Tomino did, like the MS Loni vapourizes are just that - robots which you never get to see the humans inside, yet they make great pain to show Loni being vapourized in the explosion as a cheap gimmick to give her and *only her* a human face, made Riddhe the scape goat for dealing the killing blow and keep Banagher "clean" and expect the viewer to take a similar stance as Banagher (or Kira for that matter), sorry but that trick simply doesn't work on me.
Old 2012-07-12, 03:59   Link #1480
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Pretty much what houkoholic said

Plus, if you want to apply a "no-kill policy" in a war/battle, you must have a godlike war-machine like Strike Freedom and have godlike skill like Kira. Other honorable mention goes to Kenshin Himura from Samurai X.

Banagher and his Unicorn? Simply not quite enough.