AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2019-04-03, 10:39   Link #1
Marina2

Joker (2019)

Trailer just come out.

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

This Joker looks really awesome.
Old 2019-04-03, 11:56   Link #2
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

It should be noted this movie is no way related to the DCEU.
Old 2019-04-03, 13:29   Link #3
GDB

On the one hand, we always knew that Gotham's corruption is what spawned monsters like the Joker. On the other hand, seeing it happen feels like they're just trying to humanize him or make him out to be a victim (movie may portray it differently, but the trailer at least seems to point this way).

Not sure I like that concept.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-04-03, 20:15   Link #4
Wandering Soul

Well, it's not the first time they tried to make Joker a more sympathetic origin, but in the Killing Joke that was treated as his "multiple choice past" and the entire story didn't revolve around his origins. I guess the main concern is that they may focus too much on his "one bad day" and make him too sympathetic.
Old 2019-08-30, 11:56   Link #5
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Final Trailer

Old 2019-09-01, 03:06   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Movie's getting some pretty rave reviews so far, all of them praising Joaquin Phoenix's take on the Joker.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-10-02, 17:37   Link #7
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Well, out of the blue, wifey was actually interested to see the movie after hearing some buzz, and today, both me & her got to leave work early to catch the 18:35 screening. What a joy.

As for my impression of the movie, Chris actually summed it up nicely:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Also, to add to his review above, I gotta say that aside from Taxi Driver, King of Comedy and The Killing Joke, Joker also took some inspiration from the "clash of class"-plot from The Dark Knight Rises and used a certain talk-show event from The Dark Knight Returns as its climax (but without old Batman this time). The movie juggled them pretty nicely.

Overall: a very good & ballsy movie. It's not perfect coz the writing still need some touch-ups (but not as bad as MCU movies where things will crumble the moment you put more thoughts into it). But everything else is superb: top notch acting, great cinematography, very nice visuals, immersive soundtrack and some excellent morbid humor. A solid 9/10 for what is basically a drama film (not action superhero).

I'm glad I supported this movie with my hard-earned cash considering how much of a passion project this movie was for Todd Philips & co. They actually needed a long time convincing the execs to do this movie & they worked very hard on it which I admire and happy to see it greenlit & made (albeit with lower budget). That is a stark contrast from movies like Man of Steel from Snyder who never actually like Superman to begin with, and a certain movie from a certain someone whose mantra is "subverting expectation" regardless of quality.

At the end of the day, I'd rather re-watch Joker than re-watching movies like Iron-Man 2 & 3, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange & Captain Marvel. They need to make more movies like this. Maybe make a Thanos movie where we can see his rise & exploits before he became infatuated with the infinity stones. That'd be a doozy. Or do other Batman's rogue gallery. Catwoman could use some palate cleanser in the form of a good movie after the disaster starring Halle Berry back then. I heard they are making a Dr. Doom movie? If so, great choice.