AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-27, 19:38   Link #21
Rockersuke Moroboshi

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoska
it reminds an old american movie which name escaped me.
Yeah, The final Contdown , with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen, but this time the japanese goes back to the WWII.

Anyway, I understand this is a Kaji Kawaguchi's work, so It's expected to be more historical and political fiction than astounding fun and action. His Eagle manga (nominated to 4 Eisner awards) has been published in the USA by Viz, and if you have read it or seen the Silent Service anime you know, sadly, It's not aimed exactly to naruto fans.

Aren't really enough people interested in it? aaaghs!!
Old 2004-10-29, 04:21   Link #22
ShikaShika
無罪

Sign me up for some Zipang. I'm definetly also interested in seeing it.
Old 2004-10-31, 13:07   Link #23
wcswett@mac.com

Send a message via AIM to wcswett@mac.com
I'd like to add my name to the list of those who'd like to see Zipang subbed. I've done three cruises on JMSDF ships as an exchange officer, one of them involved 10 days on JDS Kongo (the first of the class of the fictional destroyer JDS Mirai). I found the first episode of Zipang to be accurate in every detail of background, including the Combat Information Center. I was living in Japan at the time the manga Silent Service caused such a political uproar that banning it was discussed on the floor of Parliament, so the real world political fallout from the series could be as interesting as the series itself. I'm sorry to have only been able to see the first episode so far, but when the DVD's come out I'd be happy to supply raws (before then if I can get my hands on some off-air DVDR's)

--- WCS
Old 2004-10-31, 17:38   Link #24
Sairai_X

I doubt there will be any political fallout from the series; the manga's up to 16 volumes of insipient whining and nothing's happened yet.
Wcswett: I'm not suprised to hear that the technical aspects are accurate...
Is the real Japanese navy that wimpy though?
Old 2004-10-31, 17:58   Link #25
QuickSilver
AnimeCouncil Founder

Could you give me a site which has info on Zippang like reviews? so i can see maybe Anime-Heaven can sub it
Old 2004-11-01, 15:05   Link #26
wcswett@mac.com

Send a message via AIM to wcswett@mac.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairai_X
I doubt there will be any political fallout from the series; the manga's up to 16 volumes of insipient whining and nothing's happened yet.
Wcswett: I'm not suprised to hear that the technical aspects are accurate...
Is the real Japanese navy that wimpy though?
Most of the senior officers of the JMSDF are decendents of Imperial Japanese Navy Officers and they have quite conservative views. They'd like nothing better than to sink a few Chinese gunboats in a skirmish over southern islands or to establish a military cordon around the disputed island the Koreans call Tok Doh in the sea of Japan. Sixty years of pacificism have undermined their credibility as a fighting force, though, and the typical Japanese "warship" has barely enough of an operational budget to get underway for three weeks a year for training, much less money to put weapons in the launchers. JMSDF personnel are anything but pacificist, but political reality forces them into the same duality of public action/private conviction that permeates everyday life in Japan. Their belief is that Japan should "guide Asia into the future" much the same as they said in the 1930's, but you'll only actually hear those words from the loudspeakers on the political trucks owned by the ultra-right parties. Most of the time you'll just hear a bunch of pacificist BS, but that's not really what most people there are thinking.

--- WCS
Old 2004-11-01, 18:59   Link #27
tanuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockersuke Moroboshi
Yeah, The final Contdown , with Kirk Douglas and Martin Sheen, but this time the japanese goes back to the WWII.

Anyway, I understand this is a Kaji Kawaguchi's work, so It's expected to be more historical and political fiction than astounding fun and action. His Eagle manga (nominated to 4 Eisner awards) has been published in the USA by Viz, and if you have read it or seen the Silent Service anime you know, sadly, It's not aimed exactly to naruto fans.

Aren't really enough people interested in it? aaaghs!!
"The Final Countdown" was an interesting idea, but the project really lacked the budget and CGI technology it needed. Beyond that, regardless of whether the movie is slanted towards americans or japanese traveling into the past on a modern military warship to a period during WWII, it's pointless trip unless they can and are allowed to alter past events which change the future. Except to a small extent, "The Final Countdown" wouldn't allow this to happen. For example, Kirk Douglas ordering the jets heading towards Hawaii to protect Pearl Harbor to suddenly return to the aircraft carrier. This kind of "Let's go change history....but no, sorry guys, not this time" anticlimax payoff for the audience is why I'm a little skeptical about Zipang.
Old 2004-11-02, 00:45   Link #28
Alterscape

Could someone post some information about the Zipang manga for a curious newbie? I'm very curious what direction the story takes, and googling "Zipang" doesn't yield -anything- relevant in English that I can see. I'm mainly curious about the stance such a film would take towards the war -- are these modern Japanese sailors pacifistic -- "stop the war, save our country from humiliation" or whatever (yes, I know that's a gross oversimplification with some cultural stereotypes thrown in, feel free to correct me on the nuances) or, as a previous poster suggested, eager to enter the war and leverage their technology to change the course of history, a la Harry Turtledove's Guns of the South?
Old 2004-11-02, 09:28   Link #29
Sairai_X

They're all "We can't get involved in history!" yadda yadda yadda...
At least they were until I threw down the manga in disgust and boredom.
Old 2004-11-02, 10:21   Link #30
Rockersuke Moroboshi

Thumbs up Sounds good to me!

Hey! What you're describing is exactly what I would expect from a Kawaguchi's work and actually what I'm looking for, I mean, people discussing wether they should or not interfere with History and the true attitudes and motivations hidden behind it rather than fast paced war action scenes.
I would honestly enjoy such a show and I truly believe It deserves a chance.
Old 2004-11-02, 11:05   Link #31
Kensuke

I agree, I would be glad to see at least a couple of first episodes subbed. Its not common that you see this kind of anime, it deserves a change.
I have only seen first episode, and I liked it, and according to preview of second episode, it has something to do with the Battle of Midway.
Old 2004-11-02, 11:48   Link #32
Alterscape

I'm really rough on how to get 26 episodes worth of drama out of "Should we, or shouldn't we interfere? If we don't, what else can we do?" I mean, I've seen episode-long arguments before.. but 26-episode-long arguments? But I'm a fan of military stuff, so I'm still curious.
Old 2004-11-02, 14:27   Link #33
Sairai_X

That's the thing though, man. They DIDN'T discuss it. They're all evidently big sci-fi fans and so they know that bad things happen when you mess with history... and so they all decide not to. No debate at all, really.
Maybe it came later, after I stopped reading.
Old 2004-11-02, 14:56   Link #34
kj1980
Gomen asobase desuwa!

"Zipang" goes through:

A. "Let's not get involved in altering history" arc
B. "If thousands of Japanese military servicemen can be saved, we should try and help them out from what we know from what happens" arc
C. "What-if scenarios as an Imperial Navy Officer learns about the future and goes on his own to change the course of history" arc
Old 2004-11-02, 16:33   Link #35
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Is the anime 16:9?
Old 2004-11-02, 17:13   Link #36
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirCanealot
Is the anime 16:9?
Bog standard 4:3
Old 2004-11-02, 18:15   Link #37
SirCanealot
What? I am washed up!

Send a message via MSN to SirCanealot
Ahh. Screw that then. ^^
Old 2004-11-02, 19:58   Link #38
Joker-kun

I'll talk to some people, if it peeks interest, I might pick it up...although id really like some info and screencaps on it.

Edit: I have most likely set up a joint on it, so hopefully it will work out.

Ps: If anyone could help me with RAWs, message me.

Last edited by Joker-kun; 2004-11-02 at 21:36.
Old 2004-11-02, 22:24   Link #39
SKEEZI
'da MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Could you give me a site which has info on Zippang like reviews? so i can see maybe Anime-Heaven can sub it
Here is one favorable review --> http://www.animenation.net/forums/sh...&postcount=104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker-kun
I'll talk to some people, if it peeks interest, I might pick it up...although id really like some info and screencaps on it.

I don't know anything about making screencaps... so don't flame me. I'm using the latest BSplayer with the latest ffdshow with all post-processing options... (I forgot to change these settings before making these screencaps.)
The RAWs are listed at AniDB and they are very common via ed2k... getting them isn't a problem.

RAW Video (640x480, 23kps, DivX 5.11)
Click to open...

So far... the only fansubs out there are in chinese.

Last edited by SKEEZI; 2004-11-03 at 00:40.
Old 2004-11-03, 08:54   Link #40
Draft

Send a message via MSN to Draft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker-kun

Dude haha for real we should do it man. You see those screenshots? whoa just damn too sexy.
Closed Thread