AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2014-12-28, 03:47   Link #41
mweloo

Ping Pong- This was the first of Masaaki Yuasa's work to engage me on an emotional level. A tightly woven narrative with excellently written characters.

Buddy Complex- Not perfect (the time travel logic leaves a lot to be desired), but this show possesses and old-school charm that I find very appealing. It had a really strong main trio and you can tell that a lot of heart went into it.

Akatsuki no Yona- Shoujo was never my thing, but this series has really stepped up its game recently.
mweloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-29, 22:07   Link #42
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

I'll be coming out of the left field and say Gokukoku no Brynhildr. Even I'm surprised to say I finished the series entertained and charmed by the few characters. While I don't have any presumptions against any harem anime, I did have some reservation with the new work from Lynn Okayama. I didn't hate Elfen Lied but I didn't like it either. It felt too flawed to be wondering why people were giving good feedbacks. Gokukoku no Brynhildr does suffer from the same flaws as its predecessor like the ending with the breakneck speed of pacing and insufferable characters receiving more screentime than they deserve. However, it manages to be quite memorable and entertaining with the consistency because it had a good male lead and funny heroines with plenty of lol moment.

With Daitoshokan no Hitsujikai and Mikakunin De Shinkoukei, I already expected them to be good while the majority of audience doesn't really appreciate type of shows that has slow moving slice of life quality. Thus I don't see the aforementioned anime as unexpectedly good. They are titles that deserve to be more well-known.
Old 2014-12-30, 00:03   Link #43
kco143

Akatsuki no Yona - This has got to be my favorite of 2014. Simply because it surprised me in so many ways. For one I thought it was going to be your typical reverse harem where all the males fall in love with the lead girl...but I was wrong. I also didn't think that Yona would grow from a spoiled princess to someone who is determined to fight.

Fate/Stay Night: UBW - I was worried I wouldn't like this one, given that it's main characters are teenagers. I loved Fate/Zero because of its maturity, but F/SN has proven that it can be just as dark. So far, I'd dare even say it's better. The action scenes blow me away.

Shingeki no Bahamut - Aside from the obviously amazing production values, this show took me completely by surprise. Anime rarely ever makes me laugh out loud but the comedy in this show is so well-done and not forced down your throat. Also, the world is just...amazing. This whole war between the angels and demons(based off the Book of Genesis, I take it) is really exciting. I'll admit I've never watched any angel/demon anime, so I have nothing to base my opinion off of, but I feel like this anime is one of this year's biggest gems. The characters especially make this show a delight. I love how every character is capable of taking care of themselves.
Old 2014-12-30, 06:29   Link #44
lmw

Yuuki Yuuna wa Yuusha de Aru is a show I didn't have high expectations for, but it ended up being one of my favorite shows of the year, so it easily takes the cake here.

Some other shows:

Majimoji Rurumo - A show I picked up fairly late into the season, mostly because I read some positive things about it and just felt like doing so. Turned up to be a very enjoyable watch and one of the better shows of that season.

Sabagebu! - Another show I didn't pick up at first, only did so after seeing a hilarious webm. This show is so funny that at times I couldn't stop laughing, but other jokes fell flat, so overall it was weaker than some of the other comedy shows like Nozaki-kun for me. Momoka was a very refreshing mc to say the least.

Sidonia no Kishi - Heard good things about the manga, but it still ended up exceeding my expectations. The cg characters need getting used to, but the action scenes were great.

Nanatsu no Taizai - Same as above, went in with fairly high expectations but it turned out to be even better than I thought (so far at least).

Last edited by lmw; 2015-05-23 at 08:07.
lmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-01-05, 20:26   Link #45
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
I'll be coming out of the left field and say Gokukoku no Brynhildr. Even I'm surprised to say I finished the series entertained and charmed by the few characters. While I don't have any presumptions against any harem anime, I did have some reservation with the new work from Lynn Okayama. I didn't hate Elfen Lied but I didn't like it either. It felt too flawed to be wondering why people were giving good feedbacks. Gokukoku no Brynhildr does suffer from the same flaws as its predecessor like the ending with the breakneck speed of pacing and insufferable characters receiving more screentime than they deserve. However, it manages to be quite memorable and entertaining with the consistency because it had a good male lead and funny heroines with plenty of lol moment.
Personally, I was surprised at how much I liked Brynhildr as well, though my first discovery of this was with the manga rather than the anime. As for the anime, while it did have the same issues as Elfen Lied with rushed endings, I did very much like the characters, particularly the amusing interactions between the heroines as you mentioned- particularly Kazumi well.. being Kazumi. In particular though, Ryouta Murakami has to have been one of, if not the male lead I am most able to relate to. He just seemed so much more "real", rather than being an overpowered Gary Stu or a cliche harem protagonist who goes to pieces every time he ends up in even a moderately sexual situation.

Also, I thought the soundtrack was very well done, though I say the second opening was a bit underwhelming, and I say that as a fan of metal.
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote