AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Psycho-Pass

Notices

Old 2020-03-27, 13:19   Link #141
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Spoiler for First Inspector:

All in all, despite some loose threads still hanging, I'd say it was a satisfying conclusion.
Old 2020-03-28, 10:02   Link #142
Mad Pierrot
Corrupted fool

Nice "film". It felt like a good conclusion to the series in general despite some of Urobuchi's characters acting a bit randomly for obvious reasons. Since it was a conclusion it's obvious it's only for the ones who have been following all season 1 and 3 unlike Sinners where you could check any film without remembering well the other episodes.

The focus on Arata and his father was really nice especially with how the theme of individuality was presented by their differences. The thing that confused me was how Abuzawa became a latent criminal by attacking Arata until he was stopped just to be paralyzed. Shimotski's last scene was a bit awkward too. Kaji's performance felt really good considering how he kept changing tones whenever his character behaved differently. For example, when Arata was kidnapped the guy keeps a really toned down voice.
Old 2020-03-28, 23:53   Link #143
Uribatake

First Inspector was a nice belated conclusion to season 3, although I wonder if these three episodes were originally supposed to air on TV, but weren't finished in time for that. I would have liked to see a better explanation for Akane's situation, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pierrot View Post
The thing that confused me was how Abuzawa became a latent criminal by attacking Arata until he was stopped just to be paralyzed.
Azusawa was trying to commit "suicide by Sybil", but that didn't work because Sybil accepted Arata's motion not to use lethal force against him.
Uribatake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-30, 22:27   Link #144
GDB

First Inspector is the "movie", right? Odd that it'd release on Amazon while still being shown in theatres, if so.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-30, 22:37   Link #145
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

A nice conclusion to Season 3, if a bit abrupt.

Spoiler for spoiler:

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-03-31, 06:57   Link #146
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
First Inspector is the "movie", right? Odd that it'd release on Amazon while still being shown in theatres, if so.
Yes, it is. I don't think it's too surprising it'd be released on Amazon early, given that there must not be too many people going to the theater right now.
Old 2020-04-01, 05:13   Link #147
GDB

Japan wasn't really on any level of lockdown though. I say wasn't, because it seems like now that the Olympics are postponed, they're not bothering pretending everything's fine anymore.

That said, I finally started watching season 3 now that it's complete. Only two episodes in, but gotta say... I'm not liking it too much, but also not hating it. Not sure if it happened in those mini-movies, but I don't understand how Shimotsuki became the Chief. Like... I was under the impression that there was no reason for Sybill to give up that position to anyone else, so this feels out of nowhere.

Of course, from reading these comments, it sounds like Akane's situation was never really addressed. This, combined with the shuffling of old characters around, makes me wonder why they really bothered. This isn't Unit 1/Division 1. They could have left the original characters in their places, doing their own things, while focusing on these new characters. So far (again, only two episodes in), it doesn't seem like it'd have made a difference.

As for the episodes themselves, they feel... jittery? Scene cuts are happening way too often, too quickly, and with no lead-in. Despite being double length episodes, it feels like they either didn't know how to transition properly, or didn't think they'd have time to fit everything in if they paced properly.

Not a fan of the "mentalist" thing either. Seems like a cop-out for introducing basically a random investigative super-power. Especially with the way they portray it as basically seeing the past. Also, not a jab, but they do know they're allowed to have Enforcers that aren't "old guy", "tough street guy", "female", and "veteran with connections to other characters", right?

Also don't like the angle they're going for with immigration. I know the movie went this way too, but I feel like it kind of minimizes Makishima's finale. His whole final arc was trying to break Sybill's cycle and force them to open their borders. He was stopped so they wouldn't have to. And then they... open their borders?

On the positive side, despite not understanding why she's Chief now, I'm at least not hating Shimotsuka. She feels like an actual aged/matured version of how she was in season 1.
Old 2020-04-01, 08:35   Link #148
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
That said, I finally started watching season 3 now that it's complete. Only two episodes in, but gotta say... I'm not liking it too much, but also not hating it. Not sure if it happened in those mini-movies, but I don't understand how Shimotsuki became the Chief. Like... I was under the impression that there was no reason for Sybill to give up that position to anyone else, so this feels out of nowhere.
It wasn't explained, but it seems to me it's a new position. Sybil (I forgot the name of their "avatar"...) is still the chief (she'll show up later) that Mika and everyone else answer to. She's kind of Sybil's pet, so it makes sense they would promote her to a high position.
Old 2020-04-01, 08:50   Link #149
GDB

She showed up in the first episode. But Shimotsuki's position seems to be the same, functionally, as her's back in season 1.

Also, apparently this is only 7 years after Makishima's helmet antics. That's a lot of immigration progress and general society changes in only 7 years.
Old 2020-04-01, 09:18   Link #150
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
She showed up in the first episode. But Shimotsuki's position seems to be the same, functionally, as her's back in season 1.

Also, apparently this is only 7 years after Makishima's helmet antics. That's a lot of immigration progress and general society changes in only 7 years.
She does seem to be doing the same thing, but Kasei is still the chief of the bureau so it's not like she replaced her. I think Sybil's really just delegating.

I wonder what Mika's full title is now that you mention it.
Old 2020-04-01, 09:37   Link #151
GDB

I think it's just "Chief Inspector", while Kasei is "Bureau Chief".

So I guess it's basically that Mika is in charge of all of Division 1, while Kasei is in charge of Divisions 1, 2, and 3?
Old 2020-04-01, 12:54   Link #152
Cosmic Eagle
北の魔女

Quote:

So I guess it's basically that Mika is in charge of all of Division 1, while Kasei is in charge of Divisions 1, 2, and 3?
Isn't "Kasei" a role held by whichever Sybil brain's turn it is anyway......so de facto she'll have the real control of Public Safety regardless of anything
Old 2020-04-02, 01:00   Link #153
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:

That appears to be the case. At least the only people we ever see report to Mika are the members of Division 1.
Old 2020-04-02, 03:44   Link #154
GDB

To be fair, so far (up through episode 5 now), season 3 has done a rather shit job of really showing off anyone other than Arata, Kei, a bit of Mika, a bit of Yayoi, and a bit of Irie. Like, I know Himekawa somewhat from season 2, but still couldn't tell you anything about him, Mai (I think that was the female enforcer's name), the old guy, or other divisions.

So even if others did report to her, the way they're showing things off this season doesn't seem like we'd ever see them.
Old 2020-04-02, 10:48   Link #155
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Mao (you were close ) will get a bit of development, but the season is really only focused on Arata and Kei, as well as the first inspector. Even older characters like Kogami and Gino do nothing except fight.

I'm not sure why they even bothered introducing new enforcers, especially when the subplot of the Foreign affairs bureau went absolutely nowhere. Maybe in future seasons.
Old 2020-04-02, 22:54   Link #156
Kazu-kun

To be honest, this season didn't do anything for me. Overall I felt it was targeting a younger audience than the previous seasons. The protagonist was a typical shounen gary stu and most of the characters were somehow nicer people than they were in previous seasons (specially Mika). It's like they decided to play it safe and it shows.

In any case, I'm glad Akane was released at the end and I hope she will be the focus next season if there is one. I'm interested in her ongoing conflict of ideals with Sibyl and I want them to bring it to the forefront.
Old 2020-04-03, 00:40   Link #157
Cosmic Eagle
北の魔女

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
It's like they decided to play it safe and it shows.
They did, but OTOH going overboard with the violence like in previous seasons also does make one wonder how Sybil hasn't lost control yet. In general you can only blast so many people before those you rely on to exert control begin to question whether it's worthwhile to do so unless they literally mind control the populace
Old 2020-04-03, 01:40   Link #158
Kazu-kun

Don't get me wrong. It's not just the violence (or lack thereof) what I was talking. It's more like the overall feeling. Characters, plot, the whole package.
Old 2020-04-03, 06:34   Link #159
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
To be honest, this season didn't do anything for me. Overall I felt it was targeting a younger audience than the previous seasons.
Rather than younger audience, I feel like they just went full-hog into appealing to fujoshi. They really liked the Kogami/Makishima stuff in season 1, so I'm guessing that's why the focus is so high on the three male characters and no one else here.

Quote:
(specially Mika)
To be fair, this is similar to how she was in season 1. Well meaning but irritable. Smart, but quick to anger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
unless they literally mind control the populace
They did imply in season 1 that people are either so used to this environment or doped up that they don't really question anything. Sybil also somewhat controls the media.
Old 2020-04-04, 02:23   Link #160
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Rather than younger audience, I feel like they just went full-hog into appealing to fujoshi.
That too, but it was clearly targetting a younger audience. It felt very shounen, like the kind of stuff you find in Jump. To start with Arata had that kind of boyish vibe that's common in Jump MCs, and a bunch of special abilities to make him feel overly special as well (super acrobatic abilities, super-emphatic powers, criminally asymptomatic, etc etc). On top of that, there was considerably less friction between the characters, like everyone acted nicer than in previous seasons. It felt more safe, like a Disney version of Psycho-Pass.

Quote:
To be fair, this is similar to how she was in season 1. Well meaning but irritable. Smart, but quick to anger.
Maybe but you can't just go back to an early characterization without a very good explanation. In the 2015 movie she was still a turbo-bitch. Then suddenly, in SS and S3 she was a totally different character, with no explanation at all.