AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2013-05-03, 11:58   Link #1761
hyperknees91

So many things.

Spoiler for Terra:
hyperknees91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 13:12   Link #1762
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Wow. I don't even really know where to begin, but...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperknees91 View Post
Spoiler for Terra:
That's a bit of a simplification. The tonal shift really isn't that jarring since the heroine routes are pretty dark in and of themselves, especially Akane's. Terra is just... more of that.
I actually agree with a lot of your complaints, but it's not as though the other routes don't have similar issues, and ultimately I think Terra is good enough to overlook them.
Also, Kagari is (rather obviously) my favorite character, so... I can't personally consider a route with her in a major role to be bad.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game though.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 13:42   Link #1763
hyperknees91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Wow. I don't even really know where to begin, but...

That's a bit of a simplification. The tonal shift really isn't that jarring since the heroine routes are pretty dark in and of themselves, especially Akane's. Terra is just... more of that.
I actually agree with a lot of your complaints, but it's not as though the other routes don't have similar issues, and ultimately I think Terra is good enough to overlook them.
Also, Kagari is (rather obviously) my favorite character, so... I can't personally consider a route with her in a major role to be bad.
I'm sorry you didn't enjoy the game though.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I think that's a problem with Rewrite in general is that it has way too many of tonal shifts. Reason I like Chihaya's is because it's the only one that really fits with the common route (as it is also quite light hearted). But yeah the game tried to do too much if you ask me. Or at the very least if it wanted to do those tonal shifts, it should have been gradual rather than abrupt.

Spoiler for Akane:

But yeah can't win them all, hopefully the next key work I'll like more.
Old 2013-05-03, 16:05   Link #1764
Mcfart

I agree that the tonal shift was abrupt, but the novel presentation of Terra actually helped alleviate that for me at least. It made me think that something would be different (and it was).
Mcfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 17:32   Link #1765
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Or at the very least if it wanted to do those tonal shifts, it should have been gradual rather than abrupt.
It's pretty gradual though. The Common Route contains this dark undercurrent which bubbles up near the end, and both Akane and Moon set you up for Terra's overall tone.
You should never play anything with an actually abrupt shift.
Quote:
Spoiler for Akane:
Spoiler for Terra/Akane:
Old 2013-05-03, 17:54   Link #1766
hyperknees91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
It's pretty gradual though. The Common Route contains this dark undercurrent which bubbles up near the end, and both Akane and Moon set you up for Terra's overall tone.
You should never play anything with an actually abrupt shift.

Spoiler for Terra/Akane:
Yes but this dark undercurrent is never presented as being...that dark (Like said Chihaya's route wasn't that dark which seemed appropriate). I will say Kotori's route was the most gradual about it as the change in tone shifted pretty subtly in that route.

And it's not really a deal breaker, it can just make things a bit messy. I played Muv Luv which has one of the most radical shifts ever and I still consider it my favorite VN (Alternative that is).

Spoiler for Lucia and Akane.:
Old 2013-05-03, 19:26   Link #1767
Kirayuki

@hyperknees91

I'm thinking the core story of the game is just not for you. And it was a thing that had been building up since Common route and it was even foreshadowed in the opening monologue by Kotarou.

Terra being depressing is basically the point. Kotarou is basically undergoing a journey of throwing everything he has had in order to achieve his ultimate objective, and it's not just simply an infatuation to Kagari. The connection to Kagari is basically his whole promise to her in Moon route. Just like the title of the game suggest, he is basically on the mission of rewriting the girls fates.

And I don't know if that is supposed to be called a puppet string, it's a thematic implication of him being guided by his Aurora to fulfill his promise and mission.

And yes Terra is a bit rushed, probably the only thing that can be argued and relative to each person, but the whole purpose of the route and the ending make up for it.
Kirayuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 20:18   Link #1768
hyperknees91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirayuki View Post
@hyperknees91

I'm thinking the core story of the game is just not for you. And it was a thing that had been building up since Common route and it was even foreshadowed in the opening monologue by Kotarou.

Terra being depressing is basically the point. Kotarou is basically undergoing a journey of throwing everything he has had in order to achieve his ultimate objective, and it's not just simply an infatuation to Kagari. The connection to Kagari is basically his whole promise to her in Moon route. Just like the title of the game suggest, he is basically on the mission of rewriting the girls fates.

And I don't know if that is supposed to be called a puppet string, it's a thematic implication of him being guided by his Aurora to fulfill his promise and mission.

And yes Terra is a bit rushed, probably the only thing that can be argued and relative to each person, but the whole purpose of the route and the ending make up for it.
Well obviously Terra was foreshadowed, I was never arguing against that (That things didn't end pleasantly and needed to be redone in some way).

Spoiler for Terra:

Though you are correct the story just wasn't for me. Then again for all I know, this route could have some hidden MGS2 like meaning to it that no one has figured out yet. But until then I'll probably view it in a negative light.

So I'm curious, a lot of people didn't seem to like Kotori's route from what I hear. Any of you guys feel the same? Would love to hear what you guys have to say about it.

Last edited by hyperknees91; 2013-05-03 at 21:10.
Old 2013-05-03, 20:52   Link #1769
Kirayuki

Being depressing itself is just a result that comes from what the story trying to tell, and it can be relative to each person. The story in Terra basically tell Kotarou to grow up in order to change something (this include jumping into the mud and prepare to sacrifice something in order to achieve something), which was what his previous self in all routes couldn't achieve. And what do you refer as being excessive here ? The whole children killing is pretty common in a war torn country, and his comrade back then (whose I forgot his name already) is pretty much there to serve as a further development for him.

And no, even though he didn't have the memory his Aurora is basically the same as his Moon Kotarou. Aurora is the energy of life and what make up everything (including each individual), that's why you got that pre-determined choices until he met Kagari again in Terra. Also, are you aware of the comment he placed on the Theory of Life during Moon route which surprised Kagari ? That was basically what make Moon Kagari came up with a final possibility that can save mankind. It pretty much served as the basis for the conclusion in the ending. I don't know how you can think of that as being a puppet, he's merely following what he was trying to achieve back in Moon. I'm not even sure how you came up with the conclusion that Kotarou killed Kagari in the end...
Spoiler:

And mind you list out the ignored details in the ending (plot related) ?
Old 2013-05-03, 21:29   Link #1770
hyperknees91

Spoiler for Terra:
Old 2013-05-03, 22:01   Link #1771
Kirayuki

Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2013-05-04, 14:33   Link #1772
hyperknees91

Spoiler for Terra:
Old 2013-05-04, 17:50   Link #1773
Kirayuki

Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2013-05-10, 02:21   Link #1774
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

I finished this a few nights ago. Has weighed heavily on my mind as all super-massive VNs do. It's got a lot of similarity to Muv-Luv Alternative, all things considered, although it isn't as detail laden or touching.

Spoiler:
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 03:16   Link #1775
Kirayuki

Spoiler for Reply:
Old 2013-05-10, 03:46   Link #1776
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Spoiler:
Malintex_Terek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-10, 12:40   Link #1777
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Spoiler for Terra:
Old 2013-05-13, 20:28   Link #1778
Syed_Seinaru_Migi

Gonna ask a question already play all routes no complain my question is in Terra rote what if kotarou pick capture or kill earth kagari instead let it go then kotarou go into coma and thus go to normal>> other girls routes so why when kotarou join guardian group go to coma for 10 year why other member from guadian like imamiya and esaka didn't recognize kotarou just ask
Old 2013-05-14, 00:25   Link #1779
Kirayuki

They recognize him actually, if you take a look at Imamiya's reaction when he met Kotarou the first time in Common route you can see from his comment "so, you're a Highschool student now huh?"
Old 2013-05-14, 00:48   Link #1780
Balzac
Assistant Professor

Once again I'm late to an interesting discussion, but as I feel that it has been discussed adequately, I won't put a sentiment that in some ways have been echoed by others. (regarding Terra)

But I can declare that there are many facets to the game, layers upon layers of interconnecting themes and ideas woven in. It'd require an entire dissertation to cover everything, and it is only my academic hesitation at treating a visual novel as a real piece of literature that stays my hand. Some readers may have already explored them all (it is a 2 year old game), and most of what I refer to has already been explored in the back-and-forth discussion in this very forum. Reading the thread from the date of the game's release to now is an interesting exercise in of itself. So many interpretations, so many fervent opinions...

The entire game might be flawed in some parts, but damned if I can't respect the writers for managing to package it with a lot of novel and noble sentiments and ideas.

Tags
bishoujo, hinoue itaru, key, maeda jun, romeo tanaka, ryukishi07, visual novel