AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2007-08-07, 09:14   Link #261
mad_cracker
AFX ADDiCT
*Fansubber

After Effects 2-Pass Encode

Is it possible to make a 2 pass encode with After Effects?
Please tell me how
Thanks

::AFX ADDiCT::.
mad_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 09:29   Link #262
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

why would you ever want to do that

edit: but yes, it should be trivial, it's just that you can't do two encodes in a batch like in vdub, you have to do the first pass first, then do the second (and point it at the stats file generated by the first) after the first finishes
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 09:38   Link #263
mad_cracker
AFX ADDiCT
*Fansubber

Why? Come on, After Effects has much better filters than Avisynth does. (that's what I think ) Even if you can do it with avisynth, it's much easyer to do with AE.
Could you tell me please how to point the 2 pass to the stats file.
Thanks

Old 2007-08-07, 09:52   Link #264
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to edogawaconan Send a message via Yahoo to edogawaconan
output it to lagarith or huffyuv or <insert your lossless codec choice here> and manually reencode it later

and I thought AE works in RGBA...
edogawaconan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-07, 10:15   Link #265
mad_cracker
AFX ADDiCT
*Fansubber

I've always used lagarith to overlay the karaokes I made. I've always used lagarith to overlay the typesets and other things. I was just wandering if it is possible the 2 passes.

I've already figured out how to point the second pass to the stats file.
Thanks

Old 2007-08-07, 12:22   Link #266
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by edogawaconan View Post
output it to lagarith or huffyuv or <insert your lossless codec choice here> and manually reencode it later

and I thought AE works in RGBA...
Yeah, colourspace conversions galore. That's what I always hated about commercial NLE's and comp programs (Premiere, AE etc), it converts your input to RGB/RGBA and then you convert it back to YV12 after that.

Always best to use AVISynth where possible for better quality even though I understand that some things that are a whizz in AE are a pain in the ass in AVISynth.
Old 2007-08-07, 12:31   Link #267
TheFluff

except you are doing the filtering in AFX two times one for each pass and the resulting slowdowns and colorspace conversions and the legendary AFX instability with lots of codecs and and and AAAAAAA WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS STOP DOING IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND USE THE LOSSLESS LIKE A SENSIBLE PERSON

edit: also what kind of filters exactly are "better" in AFX than in avisynth? the blur-everything-to-shit kind? the "make really nifty dropshadows" kind? what?
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read

Last edited by TheFluff; 2007-08-07 at 12:41.
Old 2007-08-07, 16:06   Link #268
mad_cracker
AFX ADDiCT
*Fansubber

There are tons of plugins used in cinema that have much better results than avisynth. For exemple the Sapphire pack or Magic Bullet. But AE it's not suited for encodes... So in terms of eficiency in encode avisynth wins.

Old 2007-08-08, 12:33   Link #269
velocity7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFluff View Post
except you are doing the filtering in AFX two times one for each pass and the resulting slowdowns and colorspace conversions and the legendary AFX instability with lots of codecs and and and AAAAAAA WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS STOP DOING IT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD AND USE THE LOSSLESS LIKE A SENSIBLE PERSON
QFT.

Just encode in Lagarith and do your two-pass there.
Old 2007-08-10, 07:28   Link #270
mad_cracker
AFX ADDiCT
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity7 View Post
QFT.

Just encode in Lagarith and do your two-pass there.
You'r assuming that the video is small. A 3 minute video could get more than 10GB.
Imagine a 20 min video

Does huffyuv have more compression than Lagarith?

Old 2007-08-10, 09:02   Link #271
ArchMageZeratuL
Aegisub dev
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_cracker View Post
You'r assuming that the video is small. A 3 minute video could get more than 10GB.
Imagine a 20 min video

Does huffyuv have more compression than Lagarith?
Every anime encoder who knows the basics of the art uses a lossless pass. A Lagarith file for a SD episode of 25 minutes ranges from 3 to 7 GB, in my experience. Huffyuv compresses a bit less (expect 4-10 GB per episode), but is faster.
ArchMageZeratuL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 09:48   Link #272
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

I've worked with 13 GB Lagarith video (a one hour movie anime) (it's 21 GB with huffyuv)
Old 2007-08-10, 11:32   Link #273
Skyward
Oblivious
*Fansubber

Quote:
I've worked with 13 GB Lagarith video (a one hour movie anime) (it's 21 GB with huffyuv)
In my experience, Huffyuv is only slightly larger than Lagarith if you use higher compression settings on both of them. Unless you used really low compression settings for Huff and high settings for Lags, I can't imagine there being a difference that large. Huffyuv is still my weapon of choice though, because its faster on the decoding end.
Skyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 12:14   Link #274
edogawaconan
Hi
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
In my experience, Huffyuv is only slightly larger than Lagarith if you use higher compression settings on both of them. Unless you used really low compression settings for Huff and high settings for Lags, I can't imagine there being a difference that large. Huffyuv is still my weapon of choice though, because its faster on the decoding end.
I don't know. I just used mostly default settings.
Old 2007-08-10, 16:35   Link #275
Skyward
Oblivious
*Fansubber

Quote:
I don't know. I just used mostly default settings.
In huffyuv, just using the "Adaptive huffman tables" option reduces the file size by a ton. Other than that, there isn't an abnormally large change in size if you use a different predictor.
Skyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-10, 16:52   Link #276
pichu
*Fansubber

hehe that reminds me of one of the few things fansubbers ever tried. I generated the subs from an entire episode (it's 720p original resolution) into a video overlay using after-effects with my defined styles and my own javascript. That lagarith overlay video turns out to be around 1.5GB, but when the video is rar'd, it gets downsized to 20MB However, RAR only saves about 5MB for another 400MB lagarith video overlay generated from an AE karaoke for that same episode.

It turns out that Lagarith is terrible in compressing static frames within the footage, so it's not a good choice for the so-called AE subs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_cracker View Post
Why? Come on, After Effects has much better filters than Avisynth does. (that's what I think ) Even if you can do it with avisynth, it's much easyer to do with AE.

True and false. AVISynth is NOT designed for editing videos (though you can use it in a way but extremely limited); it's target more for encoding. It has quite a few auto-filters that AE can't do - really - without a proper plugin. Some avs filters are even multipass that you can do so in batch; I haven't seen any multiplass ae filters, unless I'm mistaken. I'm not going to get into details. The comments about sapphire: it's not even applicable to encoding lol.

Last edited by pichu; 2007-08-10 at 17:06.
pichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 17:12   Link #277
Niveus Uncia

problem with shinjipierre's script

I got an error when I loaded shinjipierre's script on my AE... It loads the script, but when I add the ASS/SSA file, this message appears:

Does anyone know how can this be fixed?

Last edited by Niveus Uncia; 2007-08-19 at 17:13. Reason: image
Niveus Uncia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-19, 17:30   Link #278
TheFluff

seems you got yourself a division by 0 somewhere around there
(possibly because the ASS/SSA file is malformed in some way)

Old 2007-08-20, 04:12   Link #279
dj_tjerk
Ana-chan~

try changing the {\k0} in your ass script to something like {\k0.01}
dj_tjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-20, 12:43   Link #280
Niveus Uncia

Thanks a lot ^^
I already found the problem. I forgot some {\t} tags in there lol now they're removed the script is working fine :P
Thank you again!
Niveus Uncia is offline   Reply With Quote