AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Another

Notices

View Poll Results: Another - Episode 6 Rating
Perfect 10 31 43.06%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 19 26.39%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 18.06%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 11.11%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 1.39%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-02-16, 09:06   Link #181
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I can definatly get on board the idea this was the first year he managed to figure out who it was.
What I don't know is how he did it without his memories and no records,maybe he found a loop somewhere,we'll see.

Actually there is a way...

(1) Make a habit of checking every record of students. (by checking the spots that are not on the list... and make it a habit to do so every year. Do so only once per roster year. Also, make sure to remember to always cross-check every record per year.)

(2) When a student Another disappears on a roster and appears on that current year, it will disappear from the roster list of the previous year where the student is supposed to exist, living a non-checked empty spot. After the calamity would occur and school records return to normal, the one that is checked is the Another.

See, this works on the presumption that habits are affected by the phenomenon. And that a student IS the Another. And that he has the time to develop such a thing into an instinctive habit. This won't work if the Another changed her existence to someone else on the previous year. (It is dependent on the scene in Ep 6) If habits ARE affected, then that would make the parrot thing a Red Herring, is it not?
Old 2012-02-16, 09:21   Link #182
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

That's a good explanation. However, our issue (mine at least) is that he claims he remembers Mami being on the roster for the year 1996 and absent from 1993, and yet later says that all memories concerning the time the dead person spent as Another are erased from everybody's memories. If that were the case, he shouldn't remember seeing her name on the records for the year 1996 either.
Old 2012-02-16, 09:38   Link #183
Forsaken_Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronelm2000 View Post
Actually there is a way...

(1) Make a habit of checking every record of students. (by checking the spots that are not on the list... and make it a habit to do so every year. Do so only once per roster year. Also, make sure to remember to always cross-check every record per year.)

(2) When a student Another disappears on a roster and appears on that current year, it will disappear from the roster list of the previous year where the student is supposed to exist, living a non-checked empty spot. After the calamity would occur and school records return to normal, the one that is checked is the Another.

See, this works on the presumption that habits are affected by the phenomenon. And that a student IS the Another. And that he has the time to develop such a thing into an instinctive habit. This won't work if the Another changed her existence to someone else on the previous year. (It is dependent on the scene in Ep 6) If habits ARE affected, then that would make the parrot thing a Red Herring, is it not?
But we were clearly told that even the checkmarks disappear.
Old 2012-02-16, 09:40   Link #184
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That's a good explanation. However, our issue (mine at least) is that he claims he remembers Mami being on the roster for the year 1996 and absent from 1993, and yet later says that all memories concerning the time the dead person spent as Another are erased from everybody's memories. If that were the case, he shouldn't remember seeing her name on the records for the year 1996 either.
Most likely he was psychologically prepared for a memory altering event at the time, and thus got over a bit. Plus, we don't know how well he remembers it. For all we know, he could only be remembering Mami...

(1) By instinct, which doesn't seem to change...
(2) By an unclear unconscious memory lapse.

By theory, the memory altering phenomenon won't work on:
(1) Habits (the parrot is a proof)
(2) Unconscious memory lapse (the father, although I think that *static* thing is more of a phone hijack. The voice intonation was barely different from the one before the static happened.)
(3) Instinct / Gut feeling (It usually leads to number #2. It's the reason how they remember that there was an extra seat in the first place. They felt that something was up.)
[May or may not be the case]
(4) Mental / Psychological Preparation

Anyway, for now, it seems that ANY memory alteration taking place are memories that are consciously being drawn out. It's like this...

[1] <person's conscious taps into memory>
[2] <Another detects it>
[3] <memory> --> Another's interference --> <changed memories>
[4] <memory successfully altered as recalled>

It's like...
int i = 9;

And when you recall i, i becomes... 10, even though i is still 9.

If anyone has a contradictory stance to this, say it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
But we were clearly told that even the checkmarks disappear.
There were signs of check marks in the rosters, as far as I'm concerned. I'm checking.

EDIT:
So yeah, it seems that the appropriate checkmarks and records dissappear during the year it occurs. And appear after it.
It also seems that checkmarks marked during the year it occurs also stay after the said year, as long as it doesn't focus on the Another. (I looked at the records from Ep 6.)

Last edited by ronelm2000; 2012-02-16 at 09:52.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:02   Link #185
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I think the fact that the name of that particular's year extra being written by hand has something to do with the way he figured out who it was. He just didn't elaborate on how he figured it out. I think there's a flaw in the narrative here though.
Old 2012-02-16, 18:10   Link #186
VDZ

Quote:
It's like...
int i = 9;

And when you recall i, i becomes... 10, even though i is still 9.
Code:
int i = 9
{
	get { return 10; }
}
Old 2012-02-17, 01:30   Link #187
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
As long as it's not a spoiler, I'd love to read it. No matter how many times I listen to Chibiki's explanation in the anime, it just doesn't make sense. One way it could work is if you could retroactively remember everything you forgot if you leave the sphere of the influence of the phenomenon. That would explain how he was able to ascertain that it had a limited range too.
I have finished the translation and posted it in the novel thread. Here is the direct link to the post with the Chibiki discussion.
I added some comments outside the spoiler brackets, so anybody decide for yourself if you want to read it or not.
Old 2012-02-17, 05:16   Link #188
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
/
Thanks! It clarified me many things...
And the whole point of having all that posted on the novel thread is that those who want to wait to see if the anime will clarify things don't have to look at it.

So please don't post what's in the novel here

(I started reading a bit but stopped shortly after)
Old 2012-02-17, 05:41   Link #189
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
And the whole point of having all that posted on the novel thread is that those who want to wait to see if the anime will clarify things don't have to look at it.

So please don't post what's in the novel here

(I started reading a bit but stopped shortly after)
Hmm... I don't think I added things though. It's just a clarification. Still... you're right. I didn't post any novel spoilers here, don't worry. XD

(EDIT: On second thought...to be safe, I cut some things )
\
...so I guess that's a minus to Another's adaptation after all. >.<
Old 2012-02-17, 06:42   Link #190
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I get it now! The whole phenomenon is just a ~ath code.
Old 2012-02-17, 07:57   Link #191
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
I have finished the translation and posted it in the novel thread. Here is the direct link to the post with the Chibiki discussion.
I added some comments outside the spoiler brackets, so anybody decide for yourself if you want to read it or not.
Thanks. The first sub-chapter was enough to clear up the contradiction in the anime's explanation, so I didn't read any further just in case. That doesn't seem like a spoiler at all to me, but I haven't read the novel so I have no clue. I hope this tiny and yet incredibly important detail will be brought up in the anime soon otherwise a lot of people will remain confused. I can't believe they left that out...
Old 2012-02-17, 10:32   Link #192
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Thanks. The first sub-chapter was enough to clear up the contradiction in the anime's explanation, so I didn't read any further just in case. That doesn't seem like a spoiler at all to me, but I haven't read the novel so I have no clue. I hope this tiny and yet incredibly important detail will be brought up in the anime soon otherwise a lot of people will remain confused. I can't believe they left that out...
It's not really a spoiler that's why I posted it already, but I can understand when people want to go with just the anime for nor. The first sub-chapter might just be enough to actually understand what the anime isn't really delivering. I really hope that they will insert it at a later point and just played it for the suspense...but I think it confused more people than it doing any good.

Well, it is something that can be deduced because otherwise the description given by Chibiki doesn't make much sense...but it's probably missing any hints in that direction so it's just one possibility among many (including that the plot just went to hell...)
Old 2012-02-17, 11:00   Link #193
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

I know its subtle but please keep any novel talk to the novel thread. Thanks.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
Old 2012-02-17, 12:33   Link #194
Unknown Soldier
:D

The manga contains material not seen in the anime too. So really both novel and manga readers should try to avoid spoiling anime-only peeps. I'm personally planning on continuing reading the manga after the anime ends for precisely this reason.
Old 2012-02-17, 13:14   Link #195
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Soooo. Long story short, the reason he figured out that extra's identity was indeed through investigation.
Old 2012-02-17, 15:11   Link #196
Xcomp
Owe No Favours!

He barely carries a heavy, noisy bag through the corridor, drops it on his desk with a giant thud and all he takes out is a knife?!

That said, I had to laugh when Misaki and Sakakibara ended up dancing around the room ignoring everyone. The sudden bang made me jump a bit (dang subwoofer!) but, I've always wondered why the "Anothers" don't just do whatever they please so they don't get ignored

Then again, it does seem to be all organised and agreed mutually who is to be the Another.

So what's all this talk about how "he" figured it out? The librarian? I thought he was just saying how a year went by and then his original memory was back. That's why he realised who the real Another was and then wrote down the name...?

Edit:

So I wonder if they're going to turn this into a live action movie or drama? I think it might work for a short series. And also going by the fact how Japan likes to make movies full of murderous, menacing highschool children quite a lot

Last edited by Xcomp; 2012-02-17 at 15:33. Reason: Another thought...
Old 2012-02-17, 21:08   Link #197
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcomp View Post
He barely carries a heavy, noisy bag through the corridor, drops it on his desk with a giant thud and all he takes out is a knife?!
In truth, I was expecting him to pull out a decapitated head any moment.

Quote:
So what's all this talk about how "he" figured it out? The librarian? I thought he was just saying how a year went by and then his original memory was back. That's why he realised who the real Another was and then wrote down the name...?
The question is, how could he have remembered, as he said so himself that everyone forgets who the extra was after the year ends. That's something Chibiki concedes, that his memory may be flawed.

Quote:
So I wonder if they're going to turn this into a live action movie or drama? I think it might work for a short series. And also going by the fact how Japan likes to make movies full of murderous, menacing highschool children quite a lot
A live-action movie will be launched soon. The main actors have already been announced.
Old 2012-02-17, 21:58   Link #198
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
The question is, how could he have remembered, as he said so himself that everyone forgets who the extra was after the year ends. That's something Chibiki concedes, that his memory may be flawed.

He was psychologically prepared, for all I know. >.>

But you're right, we can't fully trust his memories.
Old 2012-02-17, 22:41   Link #199
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
Such a great episode! For that day dream I was like ummmm wtf is going on. I was like oh thank God that was too weird. In living room that damn bird scared me!! The teacher at the end 0_0 holy shit....I was like dude what in the bag? LOL
Old 2012-02-17, 23:26   Link #200
ronelm2000
Moe Kyun~!

If you were one of those in the Final Destination movie, would you break?

That's what I thought about the teacher.
Closed Thread