Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-04-11, 03:02   Link #21
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG-MAX 2.o View Post
I understand there's a beer brand for this anime, but my god, there's so much alcohol in this series. Good episode.
I think that's a pretty accurate depiction of Japanese drinking habits, for what I know.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-11, 05:13   Link #22
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Really liked this episode. The second half strengthened my impression that this has at least partly a purpose of being a satire of Japanese society - almost everyone is plagued either by a dull or hateful job environment, or by the length to which they're willing to go to forget themselves and the misery of their own life. Ultimately it's always stories about the ways in which alienation brings people to their lowest point.
It's kinda funny how these stories were written 20-30 years ago, yet hold quite true today.
So little has changed in work culture in Japan.

It's funny how some modernization has been made (smartphones WUT!?) while mostly still visually exactly the same as before.
Old 2017-04-11, 06:02   Link #23
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
It's kinda funny how these stories were written 20-30 years ago, yet hold quite true today.
So little has changed in work culture in Japan.
I don't know how much has changed, but I get the feeling that something will change when the current generation takes over at the very least. Disillusionment is a worldwide affection for us 30-somethings and younger, but it seems even more bitter in a culture that promised a safe, secure life as long as you obeyed the rules and did like everyone else but fails more and more to own up to that promise.

If one to look at anime alone, there's quite a shift in values. It used to be all "hard work and sacrifice pay off". Now most heroes are either overpowered self-insert fantasies frustrated by a system that prevents them from expressing their full potential or complete nobodies that barely manage to get by. And most seem to agree that dying in this world and being transported to some magical land is a desirable fate, even if said magical land is host to dangers and wars or whatever - because at least you get to do something.

So in a way, it's not that surprising that something this bitter and cynical gets pulled out of the drawer.

Old 2017-04-18, 06:41   Link #24
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Episode 3:
It may be a little hard to relate to for non-Japanese since obsession with classic trains is uniquely a Japanese hobby. (it exists in other countries, but not to the extent or common place as Japan)

Also quite mild compared to some of the classic Salesman stories.
In old ones he probably would have been turned into a passenger seat or another permanent train parts.
Old 2017-04-18, 10:13   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That's a real train, BTW. Last ones just went out of service this year (sleeper trains are almost extinct in Japan generally).

I found that chapter especially heartbreaking, in the way that makes is hard for me to fully embrace this series. That poor guy just loved trains - so what? Why should he be made to suffer for that? What the salesman is doing, really, is spiritual entrapment. Though I suppose that's more or less the point.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-18, 10:23   Link #26
G0rd0

Quote:
Episode 3:
It may be a little hard to relate to for non-Japanese since obsession with classic trains is uniquely a Japanese hobby. (it exists in other countries, but not to the extent or common place as Japan)

Also quite mild compared to some of the classic Salesman stories.
In old ones he probably would have been turned into a passenger seat or another permanent train parts.
true that the only time i ever seen another train lover in a Tv show is Sheldon cooper from the Big Bang Theory
G0rd0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-18, 15:06   Link #27
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

The other train lover that comes to mind to me is Banba from Princess Jellyfish .

Anyway liked the episode, especially the first bit, I know quite a few cases of situations like that in real life . The poor train loving guy was indeed one of the victims who got the shaft for the stupidest reasons, but as Enzo mentioned, Moguro is basically just a spiritual con-man - he's not helping, he's laying traps. Either way, I get the feeling that in all these stories the real villain often tends to be the society surrounding the victims - alienating jobs, horrible bosses, smothering relatives, they are always pushed into Moguro's arms by a world that makes them feel like nothing, and they desperately hang onto something to feel human, and that something is the weak point that Moguro targets.

Old 2017-04-18, 16:32   Link #28
kuromitsu

Yeah, this is pretty much why I'm probably dropping this. It's not that there's anything wrong with it per se, but... Even on my best days I don't tend to be an invincible ray of sunshine, and right now? I'm so not in the right place mentally to watch this show. Apparently there's a level of "too bleak" even for me.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-19, 13:33   Link #29
LG-MAX 2.o

The second story of this episode was really painful. Good series so far.
LG-MAX 2.o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-21, 22:38   Link #30
Guwange

Moguro is the ultimate troll. Don!
Guwange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-04-25, 19:40   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Shinichirou Miki really shows what a truly great seiyuu can do with a relatively simple role - he added so much to that runner's paradise chapter.

I think this show is, if anything, getting even darker. And shouldn't there be some kind of rule where if someone says no, Moguro has to bugger off? If he gets to keep nagging some poor slob until they cave, what chance do they have?
Old 2017-04-26, 17:06   Link #32
Cloudedmind

Send a message via MSN to Cloudedmind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Shinichirou Miki really shows what a truly great seiyuu can do with a relatively simple role - he added so much to that runner's paradise chapter.

I think this show is, if anything, getting even darker. And shouldn't there be some kind of rule where if someone says no, Moguro has to bugger off? If he gets to keep nagging some poor slob until they cave, what chance do they have?
I totally felt his pain their. It's the main reason I hate running outside, and will almost exclusively do treadmill.
Old 2017-04-28, 15:19   Link #33
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
I've heard someone saying there ARE stories where Moguro gets played. Here's to hoping, I guess. This episode's first story sounded totally like some urban legend . The second one was way more unfair, also because the girl actually just wanted to be generous. This was Moguro's trolling at its best.

Old 2017-05-01, 12:40   Link #34
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

The second part of episode 5 was heartbreaking.
The poor lady is practically brainwashed and driven insane without realizing it.
Old 2017-05-05, 22:58   Link #35
Guwange

Quote:
The second part of episode 5 was heartbreaking.
The poor lady is practically brainwashed and driven insane without realizing it.
She was crazy from the beginning, she was just repressing it.
Old 2017-05-16, 21:41   Link #36
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Amazingly, it seems Warau started us off easy, and is only now getting really dark. Moguro seems to especially enjoy terrorizing parents with small children.
Old 2017-05-19, 13:32   Link #37
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

I remember the same story from the first half of episode 7 back in the Sega Mega Drive CD game.

Edit: found it, here it is.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVQuediZj1s

The game version of the story had multiple different outcomes depending on the choices you make though.
I think they all led to different horrible fate.
Old 2017-05-24, 01:09   Link #38
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Just Koyama Rikiya and Ishida Akira guest-starring this week, that's all...
Old 2017-05-26, 15:58   Link #39
Guwange

Quote:
Amazingly, it seems Warau started us off easy, and is only now getting really dark. Moguro seems to especially enjoy terrorizing parents with small children.
Last episode first story was a straight horror thriller.
Old 2017-06-01, 10:28   Link #40
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

In a twist of fate, finally a victim of Moguro who completely deserved it.
The scientist 100% deserved the Don for his sleazy betrayal.