AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2009-07-02, 07:42   Link #2221
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Actually you missed an important stroke on that "Beatrice". However you could consider "che" as one syllable.

That apart I think I've pointed out how in roman based writing there is a very high number of 6 letters long words. So it isn't hard to find 6 everywhere.

However the six on Rokkenjima surely doesn't seem to be coincidential. Still Battler said that you can't find this island on an atlas, so even in that fictional world Rokkenjima is not something you can find on official documents. Therefore I doubt Eva is looking for a map of Rokkenjima. Also the first thing she though concerning the "village" was an area of dense population. That would never cross her mind if she was looking at a map of Rokkenjima.

A few weeks ago someone speculated if there are actually 6 "houses" on Rokkenjima. Kuwadorian, the Mansion, The Guesthouse, The Chapel, Those would make 4. Then someone wondered if there was some sort of "house" at the dock. Well according to the anime there is one. And we can imagine there is one at the "back". But this seems quite a far-fetched theory imho. Especially considering how the guesthouse was build in 1984.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 09:18   Link #2222
yuugi99

battler is actually amakuza

battler = 0+7+1+5 = 1+1+2+9 = 13 = AMAKUSA

Mystery solved!!!
yuugi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 09:28   Link #2223
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

13 is read as amakusa? O_o I don't know much about japanese but isn't 13 read as juusan?

Believing oneself to be perfect is...
often the sign of a delusional mind
vandakiara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 09:29   Link #2224
Christen
Endless Nine
*Artist

Amakusa Juuza. The Juuza part is written as 十三.
Christen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 09:41   Link #2225
maximilianjenus
[E]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marion View Post
11 is November. 10 is October XD;
that's why I said might, whoever tought of that number might have been in the same drugs I was when I typed that theory .

IIRC, Eva used the atlas to VERIFY something, it might have been the location or the spelling of a specific part of the world. this goes along with the rio de la plata - beatrice portrait theory, since it still is a word play.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 10:04   Link #2226
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

I've read an interesting theory on /jp/ the other day actually. As I don't speak anything written in japanese (sorry couldn't be arsed to learn a fourth foreign language), I haven't got a clue how credible is, but take a look anyway. However no one really disproved it, nor argued it with it afaik.
Spoiler for dunno how credible crazy theory is:
I wonder whether swapping writing systems is the way to resolve the epitaph, I think that's not the first theory I've seen with a similar approach, but for a illiterate like me, it seems alright theory.
Old 2009-07-02, 10:11   Link #2227
Alaya
Counter Force

It sounds alright, but it doesn't consider the ten twilights in the epitaph yet. Another thing is that we don't know if he/she really convert Katakana to Kanji correctly or not.

Assuming the conversion is correct.
Looking at Kanji from Beatrice name, it has six letters. From that six letters, can we manipulate them according to the twilights in the epitaph?

Madoka: This was the tale of magical girls whose wishes are pure and by them are driven to despair.
Alaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 10:12   Link #2228
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by izmosmolnar View Post
I've read an interesting theory on /jp/ the other day actually. As I don't speak anything written in japanese (sorry couldn't be arsed to learn a fourth foreign language), I haven't got a clue how credible is, but take a look anyway. However no one really disproved it, nor argued it with it afaik.
I wonder whether swapping writing systems is the way to resolve the epitaph, I think that's not the first theory I've seen with a similar approach, but for a illiterate like me, it seems alright theory.
I don't know much about jap either but it seems good... one thing though... why would eva need to look at an atlas for that?

Old 2009-07-02, 10:17   Link #2229
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Don't ask me either, as I said it's not my theory.
A wild guess, but maybe because she checked a detailed map about Rokkenjima island where is a suitable place for hiding all that stuff nearby the shrine's location. I honestly don't know.
Old 2009-07-02, 10:19   Link #2230
vandakiara
time waits for no one <3
*Graphic Designer

Hmmm is there such a thing as a detailed map of Rokkenjima? is it ever mentioned? O_o

Old 2009-07-02, 10:22   Link #2231
Kitsu
The unlucky one

I don't know if there was a detailed map, but near the shrine is fitting. If you remember the second game in which Beatrice tells of that she bound because of the mirror inside the shrine or so. And that she has a connecetion to the shrine
Old 2009-07-02, 10:29   Link #2232
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

As I said I'm just shooting in the dark.
But I'm sure there is. Krauss probably had to make one if we can believe him, provided he indeed searched the whole island with professionals.
I think I remember someone mentioning maps about Rokkenjima inside the story, but I don't remember where and in which context it was, but I'm about 60% sure it was mentioned once. Of course we don't know how greatly detailed it is, but we don't even know much about the island either, so that's not so strange.

Edit: anyway if you think about it: She checked an atlas about somewhere, then a bit later she finds the hidden gold ON ROKKENJIMA. Why would she check an atlas about somewhere else besides the island? I'm fairly sure whatever map she was checking, was definitely about Rokkenjima.

Last edited by izmosmolnar; 2009-07-02 at 10:41.
izmosmolnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 10:34   Link #2233
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Isn't the shrine technically outside of Rokkenjima? It's on a rocky bed on its own in the sea and since you need a boat to get there you can't exactly leave the isolated island to go there.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-02, 10:39   Link #2234
Kitsu
The unlucky one

Well Shannon managed to get there in a storm and just to break a mirror
Old 2009-07-02, 10:47   Link #2235
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Well you can see in the anime actually how close the shrine is to the island. Here is a bigger picture for your convenience. I reckon the shrine is on the small rock on the bottom of the picture, about a few feet away from the island. Before the anime, I also thought it's probably somewhere a lot farther, but apparently not.
Old 2009-07-02, 10:48   Link #2236
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu View Post
Well Shannon managed to get there in a storm and just to break a mirror
I don't think so. The flashback to her breaking it apparently occurred before the family meeting of 1986. From what I could tell, Beato talked her into it during a previous family meeting, probably 1985 as Battler apparently wasn't there. Plus the scene wasn't even described to be during a storm, so she could have easily broken it prior to to 1986.

In fact, because the apparent happiness occurred after she broke it, it is more likely that her Okinawa trip ahppened after she broke it, which shows she broke it well before October 1986.
Old 2009-07-02, 10:55   Link #2237
izmosmolnar
At the end of this world

Well IMO Shannon could swim that distance even in a storm to be honest..
But anyway I never said that the gold is hidden on the rock where the shrine is. However according to that above theory (which I still don't know how credible is, I'd appreciate some Japanese-familiar persons, if they could point out whether it's true or not), the hidden gold might be somewhere close to that rock somewhere. And according to episode1, we know that the dock isn't very far from the Mansion.
Old 2009-07-02, 11:01   Link #2238
Kitsu
The unlucky one

I just said it would add to that theory since Beatrice once stated a connection to that shrine. If the gold was hidden in that shrine, it would be way to predictable and the siblings would have found it.
Swimming? Lol
But wasn't that during a storm? ... I remember something about thunder or so and the sea at night is still very dangerous. Swimming during night is very dangerous...sailing at night as well.

About that storm thing. I checked the manga and it was storming I'll look into the game now.

Why did she break the mirror anyway? it's not like Beatrice could have told her to do so in reality
Old 2009-07-02, 11:11   Link #2239
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Game. Set. Match,

Finally finished Episode 4 this night of July 2, 2009. Will finish the final two tea parties tomorrow.
Old 2009-07-02, 11:13   Link #2240
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Uhm If you want my opinion I don't think this guy is very proficient with japanese.
This Kanji 辺 doesn't really mean "shore" but border, boundary, vicinity. More importantly usually it is read "be" at the end of words not at the start. The kanji used in the epitaph is 岸. I also do no think that line would be perceived as a river by a japanese seeing as how the Kanji for river is basically three lines: 川
Well I can't be 100% sure about this.
The main problem with this theory is that it doesn't match at all the step Eva took to solve the epitaph. There's no need to find an atlas, there's no connection with the ocean, and more importantly the key is supposed to lie on the shore. And the key should be something that doesn't have 6 characters but can be transformed in such way. The op completely forgot to solve the last, and more important, stuff.

Quote:
Well IMO Shannon could swim that distance even in a storm to be honest..
But anyway I never said that the gold is hidden on the rock where the shrine is. However according to that above theory (which I still don't know how credible is, I'd appreciate some Japanese-familiar persons, if they could point out whether it's true or not), the hidden gold might be somewhere close to that rock somewhere. And according to episode1, we know that the dock isn't very far from the Mansion.
In the VN it is written that Shannon reached the Shrine using a small boat. Swimming among those riffs is probably not a good idea.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote