AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Angel Beats!

Notices

View Poll Results: Angel Beats! - Episode 13 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 195 43.05%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 82 18.10%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 60 13.25%
7 out of 10 : Good 36 7.95%
6 out of 10 : Average 20 4.42%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 2.87%
4 out of 10 : Poor 11 2.43%
3 out of 10 : Bad 7 1.55%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 5 1.10%
1 out of 10 : Painful 24 5.30%
Voters: 453. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-17, 00:28   Link #501
Suri

I've got a question...

Spoiler for Angel Beat SPOILERWARNING:

Then...why is it that she is there BEFORE Otonashi? (Yeah read the spoiler to know what I'm talking about) I'm confused. Do the people not immediately go to "The Afterlife" after their death? Or do they like...wander around and stuff before going there..? Someone clear this up for me, please. TT^TT.
Old 2010-07-17, 00:30   Link #502
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

TIME PARADOX. Time in the afterlife does not flow the same way time in the living world flows.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-07-17, 01:47   Link #503
Suri

Yeah...I understand that. But wouldn't Otonashi have to be dead in order to have his heart taken from him to be placed into Kaneda? So....wouldn't that mean Otonashi should be there BEFORE Kaneda? At the beginning of the series, I think it's clear that Kaneda is there before him. Wouldn't that mean Kaneda died before Otonashi?

Even if time flows differently, it wouldn't really mean that Kaneda, who received Otonashi's heart AFTER he died, would be there before her donor.

The way time flows in the afterlife, in theory, is similar to a ratio. A second in heaven would be, let's say, several days (or years), in this time.

But anyways....I dunno. It being a time paradox doesn't answer my question.
Old 2010-07-17, 01:55   Link #504
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suri View Post
Yeah...I understand that. But wouldn't Otonashi have to be dead in order to have his heart taken from him to be placed into Kaneda? So....wouldn't that mean Otonashi should be there BEFORE Kaneda? At the beginning of the series, I think it's clear that Kaneda is there before him. Wouldn't that mean Kaneda died before Otonashi?

Even if time flows differently, it wouldn't really mean that Kaneda, who received Otonashi's heart AFTER he died, would be there before her donor.

The way time flows in the afterlife, in theory, is similar to a ratio. A second in heaven would be, let's say, several days (or years), in this time.

But anyways....I dunno. It being a time paradox doesn't answer my question.
He wasn't suppose to go there in the first place since he had no regret, so it could be said he was drawn there after Kanade died, so that her one regret could be resolved because if he didn't show up, she would have been there forever.
MAL
Old 2010-07-17, 02:03   Link #505
Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
He wasn't suppose to go there in the first place since he had no regret, so it could be said he was drawn there after Kanade died, so that her one regret could be resolved because if he didn't show up, she would have been there forever.
That makes much more sense. Thank you. I had a feeling it was tied in with the fact that he's different from the rest. Your explanation makes more sense than the time paradox one.
Old 2010-07-17, 02:58   Link #506
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I'm really certain that the time paradox explanation is easier to understand. But no worries. I guess such "sci-fi" concepts seem out of place in a series like Angel Beats!.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2010-07-17, 18:58   Link #507
BananaYogurt
Random Clannad Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konakaga View Post
In fact, Kanade have been waiting there for a looooooooooong time already, so i guess Time Paradox is the best explanation for this.
Old 2010-07-17, 19:45   Link #508
Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaYogurt View Post
In fact, Kanade have been waiting there for a looooooooooong time already, so i guess Time Paradox is the best explanation for this.
Well...Kanade has been there for a while. That's true. But the fact that Otonashi isn't really supposed to be there raises the fact that he was probably bought there in order for Kanade to get past her regret. So I think it was like this...

Otonashi died > Otonashi goes into Heaven since he lived a life without regret (or whatever) > Otonashi's heart is donated to Kanade > Kanade dies > Kanade goes to the afterlife/purgatory thing > Kanade realizes her past > Kanade realizes her regret in life > Otonashi is drawn there to complete Kanade.

If it was a time paradox...I think it would be like...Well..confusing. I'm under the assumption that people go there as they die (if they have a regret in life).

Or maybe the producers/makers of this anime left this out because it's one of the many holes of the anime? oO That would explain things, it's a plothole.
Old 2010-07-17, 21:44   Link #509
Kudryavka

Quote:
Well...Kanade has been there for a while. That's true. But the fact that Otonashi isn't really supposed to be there raises the fact that he was probably bought there in order for Kanade to get past her regret. So I think it was like this...

Otonashi died > Otonashi goes into Heaven since he lived a life without regret (or whatever) > Otonashi's heart is donated to Kanade > Kanade dies > Kanade goes to the afterlife/purgatory thing > Kanade realizes her past > Kanade realizes her regret in life > Otonashi is drawn there to complete Kanade.

If it was a time paradox...I think it would be like...Well..confusing. I'm under the assumption that people go there as they die (if they have a regret in life).

Or maybe the producers/makers of this anime left this out because it's one of the many holes of the anime? oO That would explain things, it's a plothole.
I'll go with this until someone comes up with a good and nonconfusing theory about the time paradox. I think in the anime when Kanade said how time isn't linear, she meant that things just happen. (?)

So, I think that:
-Yuzuru dies without regrets
-???
-His heart goes to Kanade
-Kanade dies with regrets
-Kanade goes to the afterlife with one wish: to thank her heart donor.
-Otonashi comes to the afterlife to help her get her wish
-Kanade and Yuzuru get reincarnated/go to a guilt-free heaven that looks an awful lot like Earth.

I'll let the "time paradox" explains ??? - what happens to Yuzuru between his death and his coming to the Afterlife where Kanade resides.
Old 2010-07-18, 00:31   Link #510
Suri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komari View Post
I'll go with this until someone comes up with a good and nonconfusing theory about the time paradox. I think in the anime when Kanade said how time isn't linear, she meant that things just happen. (?)

So, I think that:
-Yuzuru dies without regrets
-???
-His heart goes to Kanade
-Kanade dies with regrets
-Kanade goes to the afterlife with one wish: to thank her heart donor.
-Otonashi comes to the afterlife to help her get her wish
-Kanade and Yuzuru get reincarnated/go to a guilt-free heaven that looks an awful lot like Earth.

I'll let the "time paradox" explains ??? - what happens to Yuzuru between his death and his coming to the Afterlife where Kanade resides.
Well..there is a place for those who died with regrets, I'll call that Purgatory for now, despite the inaccuracy of the term. I'm sure those who don't die with regrets end up going to like..Heaven or something. I mean they won't just rot in the ground or something. It doesn't really say that world they are in is the complete afterlife. There would be a place for adults who have regrets and those who don't have regrets at all.

Anyways, what I mean is..maybe Otonashi was just hangin' and chillin' in the world where people died without regrets...and then was called in to help Kanade get that wish.

But anyways...all of this is just what if, I'm not saying it's all true and whatnot. I'm just trying sense of it all so I can like...not be confused. You can all make sense of it all the way you want, it's fun to have many opinions.
Old 2010-07-18, 00:43   Link #511
Nightt
☠ Lord of the Things ☠
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Nightt
Quote:

A few Qs:

- So, wait, if Otonashi was drawn there to complete Kanade. Why weren't Yuri's siblings drawn there to complete her?

- Why didn't Otonashi just get reincarnated the moment he died since he had no regrets? Do they stay somewhere for a while, and why? Since people with regrets (eventually without regrets) instantly get reincarnated, or that's what it appears to be like. I'm probably wrong tho. xD

- Finally, why didn't Otonashi dissappear the moment Kanade did? Since his mission was accomplished, he should've dissappeared. (Stupid Q, I know.)
Old 2010-07-18, 01:19   Link #512
Suri

Quote:
A few Qs:

- So, wait, if Otonashi was drawn there to complete Kanade. Why weren't Yuri's siblings drawn there to complete her?

- Why didn't Otonashi just get reincarnated the moment he died since he had no regrets? Do they stay somewhere for a while, and why? Since people with regrets (eventually without regrets) instantly get reincarnated, or that's what it appears to be like. I'm probably wrong tho. xD

- Finally, why didn't Otonashi dissappear the moment Kanade did? Since his mission was accomplished, he should've dissappeared. (Stupid Q, I know.)
PLOTHOLES o-o

Anyways..

I have no explanation for Yuri's siblings...except for the fact that she sees their..spirits or something (Iunno) at the end when she gets rid of the shadows.

As for why Otonashi didn't get reincarnated immediately, I dunno. You might be right, and you might be wrong. If there was a world where people without regrets could go, he probably went there and chilled for a while until he was drawn to the other place.

Otonashi didn't disappear because he ended up filled with grief after he disappeared. But according to the epilogue scene at the end..He probably did end up accepting it and finally disappearing...and becoming reincarnated and meeting Kanade's reincarnation in the next life.

All this is a maybe. Personally, the anime was too short for me. An anime that is so dependent on a character's past before the events of the anime needs to be a little longer so they can actually expand on things. Perhaps this is why we're asking all these questions and stuff.

Nonetheless, despite the plotholes and stuff...I love this anime to tears and sobbing. Literally, it had the sentimental feeling I get when watching like...5cm/Second.

That's really my final say on this anime.
Old 2010-07-18, 03:21   Link #513
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightt View Post
A few Qs:

No idea on the other two, but I'll answer this one. Yuri being reunited with her siblings there isn't needed for her to be able move on. Since she wanted a chance to fight to protect what was dear to her and succeed, since it was shown she wouldn't be able accept such easily obtained happiness in the afterlife by her speech after she became an NPC temporally.
MAL
Old 2010-07-18, 14:44   Link #514
Pricey231

That was one of the best anime ending i have ever seen it had a great mix of happiness,love,sadness and fulfilment the happiness was seeing all of the characters accepting their happiness and moving on the love between otanashi and kanade and they met up in the next life (this is also part of the fulfilment due to them both ending up together in happiness) the sadness was all the friends leaving each other with a 1 in a billion chance of ever seeing each other again and all the tears where you could feel there emotions and left me really emotional and crying :*) and the fulfilment where i didn't feel empty inside like at the end of death note where I can just move onto another anime without looking back but always having this anime as a great favourite because i know that all the characetrs ended up in happiness and no cliffhangers 10/10 PERFECT!!!
Old 2010-07-19, 06:20   Link #515
Andi

maybe kanade was the programmer? would explain how she could be there before the protagonist. also explains how she got angelplayer.
maybe she was an endless stream of NPCs without a complete memory, but a program to follow. after her mission was completed, she was able to re-enter the rebirth process.
Old 2010-07-19, 15:17   Link #516
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightt View Post
A few Qs:

while it wasn't explain, we know that Tenshi was already there and master Angel Player before Yuri and her group show up. We can infer form this that Tenshi had spend a long time in the School. Maybe if Yuri had spend as much time as Tenshi in the school and still couldn't move on, her siblings might have shown up then.

That is my theory anyway.

Quote:
in eastern mythology there is no definite amount time someone spends in the afterlife before they reincarnate. however the dead do spend some amount time in the after life before they go another round on the wheel of life again.

Quote:
drama.
Old 2010-07-19, 20:43   Link #517
AkasuraBoshi

first, onoshi didnt disapear the second kanade did because he wanted to be with kanade, and since she disapered i guess it became a regret? also you can choose when to disapear i guess, just like how his friends created a reason like i want to say bye to my friends in order to stay for a bit longer, since shes gone it is a regret. and yuri didnt need her siblings to satisfy her regret after all she disapered, kanade wouldive stayed in the so called purgatory forever without otonoshi, and also maybe otonoshis head ingery couldive played a role in his late appearence in the purgertory?
Old 2010-07-19, 21:21   Link #518
donoghu

The "Why Kanade was there before while she lived longer?" question will not really have an answer, but only guesses.

My own guesses are squetched between 3 possibilities :

- Possibility one -
Onoshi appear after Kanade because he actually died, been brought to the afterlife zone while Kanade was living with his heart, then came back to life short before Kanade died and Onoshi died in his late life to come at the point where Kanade was there. (Since it been told that the afterlife zone doesn't change and students as well as teachers doesn't age would explain the gap.)

- Possibility two -
Most of what been told. Time paradox with the fact that Living World doesn't really connect to Afterlife world.

- Possibility three -
Onoshi actually appeared because Kanade wanted to meet him. (He even appeared in her proximity on the first day) That would explain why, even if he completed what he wanted during his lifetime, he still appear in that world. That would explain too why he didn't remember his past life because Kanade who brought him didn't knew about it. And it would also explain why he cared so much about her from the first day, even if he was thrusted by her blade. And, it would explain why he disapear (supposely, if we take into account that he might have been the guy in the short part at the end.) while he still had regrets. (No more Kanade would remove slowly the use for Onoshi, but for some drama style, he didn't disapear right off wth Kanade)

In my guesses, I'm much more for the #3.

But let's face the reality now, all our questions won't be answered since it's made like that. Feel free to ask yourselves whatever you like, but don't take it too much seriously. It's just an anime.
Old 2010-07-20, 22:44   Link #519
Nightt
☠ Lord of the Things ☠
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Nightt
Quote:
Originally Posted by donoghu View Post
But let's face the reality now, all our questions won't be answered since it's made like that. Feel free to ask yourselves whatever you like, but don't take it too much seriously. It's just an anime.
Heh, agreed. xD No point in figuring out the answer to these questions, but they kep us busy.
Old 2010-07-23, 20:11   Link #520
Syobon
Moe Member

awesome ending
Closed Thread