Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2004-03-02, 04:53   Link #1
Kerensky18
?Sleep?

Send a message via MSN to Kerensky18
Question AnimeSuki community

I am wondering what people think of the community that is AnimeSuki. Some of the older members migth remember me from about 1/2 to 1 year ago, I still recognize some of the members. I treat this place almost like an online game, I make friends here, throguh parties, have fun, make friends. I have friends in "real" life and work but I come here just the same. I think that forums get there own community going. I am just wondering if people feel attached to the forusm. Do you care if you get flamed or are you removed and dont care? Do you meet people from the forums in real life (I know that some people on here live in seattle) Do you care if you see a long time member leave? In short (I know its to late) do you put youre self into youre thread and treat the forums as you would like youre interacting with some one physical or do you belive that its more removed. Sorry if this thread confusis some people I couldnt really get out a consise point......
Kerensky18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 09:15   Link #2
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

I am quickly becoming more and more attached to this place. I also have real-world friends, but only a couple of them watch anime and I don't really like talking about it with them.

Although lately I don't really talk about anime at all (though I still watch). I've just been having fun debating things in general chat. I used to frequent FFOnline's forum, but I just think this place is so much more open-minded and the mod's aren't crazy assholes
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 09:53   Link #3
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

This is probably the most civil board I've been on. I have seen a few flames but the mods usually put them out quickly. Other than that I have seen more different opinions discussed maturely here than any other place. There are also some sarcastic people but even they seem to be good natured about their ribbing. This is also pretty much the only place where I can discuss certain unlicensed anime and LA shows. I mean, where else can you discuss how good the acting is in Salior Moon LA?

Last edited by SwiftStar; 2004-03-02 at 14:10.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 11:44   Link #4
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Send a message via AIM to hobobaggins
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftStar
This is probably the most civil board I've been on. I have seen a few flames but the mods usually put them out quickly. Other than that I have seen more different opinions discussed maturely here than any other place. There are also some sarcastic people but even they seem to be good natured about their ribbing. This is also pretty much the only place where I can discuss certain unlicensed anime and LA shows. I mean, where else can you discuss how good the action is in Salior Moon LA?
that is pretty bad then... unless you dont hang out in the naruto forums much. your other forums must have been terrible.

Do you care if you get flamed or are you removed and dont care?

yes i do.

Do you meet people from the forums in real life

no i dont. .. .. one of my friends browses this forum, but i dont think he posts.
hobobaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 11:54   Link #5
SwiftStar
Daydreamer

Yeah, I actually dont frequent the Naruto forums all that much.
I've heard things about that place.
Seriously though, everytime I enter a Naruto topic here or anywhere else, I end up getting something spoiled so I tend to avoid them.
SwiftStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 12:29   Link #6
Superchop
Lord Sesshoumaru

I don't frequent the Naruto forums much just so i don't spoil everything for myself...I used to be there almost all the time around august and september...but then too many people started joining just for that section alone and just started repeating topics and to me it just got a bit boring quick...not to mention i fell behind in watching the eps so that's another reason i don't visit...

I prefer general chat cause this is pretty much where you get to find out more about the members and their interests besides the obvious (anime) Everyone here is friendly and really helpful given you at least try to do it yourself first before asking...Having been here for around a year i've made a few friends...talk to some outside the forums and even though others i technically am able to meet in real life...i'm not so sure it'll happen...
Superchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 12:53   Link #7
Dopeskills
Thigh Master

Send a message via ICQ to Dopeskills Send a message via AIM to Dopeskills Send a message via MSN to Dopeskills
I think it's cool to get to know people. I used to just stick to the Naruto forums because the mods here seemed really strict and there are a lot of limitations about what you can talk about. But everyone seems really cool and friendly.

I used to be really invlolved in car tuning forums who would organize meets, parties, or whatever (which I thought was really cool). But Animesuki seems a lot more spread out.
Dopeskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 14:02   Link #8
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

mmm... well.. you do end up getting spoiled alot in the naruto forum. someone always leaves something out of the tags

i frequent naruto forums (manga reader) and GC... and somethimes the other General subform. and manga. and the maburaho thread. yesh.
Old 2004-03-02, 14:33   Link #9
kcl822
Queen of the Underworld
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to kcl822
I like this community. Specially in the IRC channels. That's where I'm most of the time anyway (besides, "real-time" conversation takes place there). I consider a few of them my good friends, even though I never met them in real life (I did talk to them on the phone a lot and also met a person from the forums too). So I guess I became attached to the Animesuki community. Specially my victims... hehehe
Now if you'll excuse me, I have more hunting to do.
Old 2004-03-02, 14:34   Link #10
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcl822
Now if you'll excuse me, I have more hunting to do.
SEE: http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=215&page=1

RE: pathyfinder's children
Old 2004-03-02, 14:51   Link #11
Griffith

This is the only forum I post regularly at anymore. I used to go to the AnimeOnDVD boards but most of the people there are uptight assholes to be honest. The majority of the people there dislike fansubs as well and you aren't allowed to post links to download them either. This forum has nice people who actually watch anime and isn't full of flames.
Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 15:00   Link #12
Lanimoo
Disabled By Request

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffith
This is the only forum I post regularly at anymore. I used to go to the AnimeOnDVD boards but most of the people there are uptight assholes to be honest. The majority of the people there dislike fansubs as well and you aren't allowed to post links to download them either. This forum has nice people who actually watch anime and isn't full of flames.
I use to post on my favorite artists/bands forums to trade taped concerts( the artists allow it ^_^) but I got tired of that and have been trying to find a friendly anime community. Most forums are used by 12 year old boys who like to flame each other and spam the damn message board (no offense to any civilized 12 year old boys out there -_-). Despite the feedback I read from people, I think the mods at animesuki are wonderful!! (and no, I'm not sucking up to them. there's no reason to, or is there....?) And the tags/spoilers option allows me to read it when I want to ^_^ ahh.... this is the greatest forum...
Lanimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 15:11   Link #13
raikage
日本語を食べません!

I rather like this community. With anything this size, of course, there will always be problems and issues (whether technical or personal).

I go to a few other forums: Toriyamaworld for the Japanese forum, and Elite-Fansubs anyone remember them? and the people there seem to be pretty cool.

Of course, since E-F doesn't release anything anymore, almost all of their topics are about non-anime stuff

I don't think I'd necessarily mind meeting people from this forum and con season is always a good place to start. I don't know about planning carpooling with someone you've never met before, you can't judge personal hygiene on a forum.
raikage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 15:25   Link #14
OFFSPRiNGCo16
Godlike

Send a message via ICQ to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via AIM to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via MSN to OFFSPRiNGCo16 Send a message via Yahoo to OFFSPRiNGCo16
I am definatly attatched the the forums. Come here everyday to chat, debate and discuss almost anything. And unlike many other boards, generally the population of users on the forums are fairly intelligent and kind. All in all, the community rocks.
OFFSPRiNGCo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 15:49   Link #15
titan3001
Monkey!!!!!!!!

Smile

I think that anybody that has posted anything would have to feel something for the forum. I my self don't feel to attached to the forum but thats probably because im just begining. but like everything else the more you interact with people the more you feel an attachment even if its by computer. i have never interacted witha real person that i have talked with in the forums other than my friends from my location, although i feel that there are people who might leave near me but they may have never interacted in forums like this, they may just be looking from a distance. So far this is one of the best communitys i have ever been a part of, and hope it stays like that.
titan3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 15:55   Link #16
haunterex

Send a message via ICQ to haunterex
i am new here as well~
didnt really go to any forum after BT became the main way for distributing anime.
i used to hang around in lotta small channels in irc.aniverse.com, esp. during the gundam seed period~
forums are fun to hear stupid and funny things, and the flaming sections have some really interesting topic as well~
haunterex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 16:12   Link #17
hobobaggins
だいすきが大好きです!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage
I rather like this community. With anything this size, of course, there will always be problems and issues (whether technical or personal).

I go to a few other forums: Toriyamaworld for the Japanese forum, and Elite-Fansubs anyone remember them? and the people there seem to be pretty cool.

Of course, since E-F doesn't release anything anymore, almost all of their topics are about non-anime stuff

I don't think I'd necessarily mind meeting people from this forum and con season is always a good place to start. I don't know about planning carpooling with someone you've never met before, you can't judge personal hygiene on a forum.
E-F rocked. what happened to them?
Old 2004-03-02, 16:24   Link #18
SiL Eighty
Lateral G's

Send a message via AIM to SiL Eighty
Quote:
Originally Posted by raikage

ROFLMAO !!! I remeber them .. er... he... whatever It was just *name not mentioned to protect identity* that was making the subs right? I dont remember if he got any translators in the end. Good times
OOo wait... Im thinking of Super Subers or something..... *scratches head*

I mostly cruz the general chat and Ive been on here for a while. I got lazy and remake my account when the board crashed last time. I like how large these forums are. All sorts of different people make for intresting reads/topics.
SiL Eighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 17:39   Link #19
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerensky18
I am wondering what people think of the community that is AnimeSuki. Some of the older members migth remember me from about 1/2 to 1 year ago, I still recognize some of the members. I treat this place almost like an online game, I make friends here, throguh parties, have fun, make friends. I have friends in "real" life and work but I come here just the same. I think that forums get there own community going. I am just wondering if people feel attached to the forusm. Do you care if you get flamed or are you removed and dont care? Do you meet people from the forums in real life (I know that some people on here live in seattle) Do you care if you see a long time member leave? In short (I know its to late) do you put youre self into youre thread and treat the forums as you would like youre interacting with some one physical or do you belive that its more removed. Sorry if this thread confusis some people I couldnt really get out a consise point......
I most definitely feel attatched to this forum. A lot of moderators stop posting so often once they become moderators, but I refuse to do that. It makes them seem detached. I was glad to become a moderator because I love this community and I wanted to be able to help it, if I stopped being part of the community it would become more of a job than a joy. I know that on a lot of other forums, I have seen moderators tell their peons^H^H^H^H^Husers that they should be grateful to the moderator for being generous enough to spend some of their precious time to moderate the forum instead of doing else. Ugh. That makes it seem like a chore. If I ever felt that way, I would simply quit. I moderate this forum because it is a community that I am proud to belong to.

As for your other questions:
  • I certainly do try to interact with the people on this forum as if they are people, not just words on a screen.
  • I hate being flamed because I don't like banning people...
  • In a related topic, I care if I see a long time member disappear and I am happy when an absent member rejoins, like Kerensky18 for example.
  • I never have met someone from the forum in real life. I nearly met someone at the last Otakon, but he didn't show up where he said he was going to be. I also almost introduced myself to Tofusensei, but I was feeling too shy and I would have had to push through other people to get to him at the time. Maybe I'll meet someone at Anime Boston or Otakon this year? Or maybe not.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-03-02, 17:44   Link #20
boneyjellyfish
Evangelist of the Kazoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
As for your other questions:
  • I certainly do try to interact with the people on this forum as if they are people, not just words on a screen.
  • I hate being flamed because I don't like banning people...
  • In a related topic, I care if I see a long time member disappear and I am happy when an absent member rejoins, like Kerensky18 for example.
  • I never have met someone from the forum in real life. I nearly met someone at the last Otakon, but he didn't show up where he said he was going to be. I also almost introduced myself to Tofusensei, but I was feeling too shy and I would have had to push through other people to get to him at the time. Maybe I'll meet someone at Anime Boston or Otakon this year? Or maybe not.
You're going to Anime Boston this year? You oughta stop by Jellyfish Manor sometime, I live right outside of Boston (in what they call the "haabaa"). Unfortunately, I didn't have the money to attend Anime Boston this year so uh... I won't be there.

As for me, I enjoy being a member of the AnimeSuki community, though it has had it's ups and downs and spurts of... less desirable posts. Besides, if I wasn't here, who would talk about the really awful anime?
boneyjellyfish is offline   Reply With Quote