AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 2007-10-07, 02:11   Link #561
DmonHiro
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Romania
Age: 32
Send a message via Yahoo to DmonHiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I just started to rewatch this series with a friend of mine (who is watching it for the first time).

The more I think about it and rewatch it, the less sense this ending makes.
Then ending doesn''t make ANY sense. The defeat of the AS was clear from the got go. Nia's death makes no snese, and it DOES NOT help Simoun grow anything, except sick of this world
DmonHiro is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 02:43   Link #562
maplehurry
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by juventas View Post
I fail to see what you are trying to say with this whole "bringing Nia back to life." That was never my argument.

The writers can come up with anything to keep her alive. Like with Viral, there is no absolute reason why Nia can't continue to exist after the destruction of her "creator." Consider Chie from Chobits. Is her personality not virtual? However, the computer is self contained within her body. Just like the AS program was embedded within Nia. Nia doesn't need a host computer.



yup, pretty much what juventas said. They could've pull a gaogaigar ending to fix her



In fact, i feel that gainax added in that extras information(that she cant live without her homeplanet) just so that she can be killed off..

Without this extra information added, there's nothing abnormal for her to live on at the end.
maplehurry is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 02:45   Link #563
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
I'd like to add: not only could they have come up with any kind of technobabble solution to save Nia, they didn't have to invent a reason for her to die in the first place.

Seriously, if she hadn't flickered before the final fight, and just lived on after the battle, would anyone have cried foul? Said that she should have died because the Anti-Spirals got drilled?
Anh_Minh is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 03:05   Link #564
pinoy78
Yahk, DECULTURE!
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Finally!

A weekend WITHOUT a new Gurren-Lagann.





























...this sucks.
pinoy78 is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 11:08   Link #565
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Cant we just stop bitching about this? What happened happened. Gaynax is Gaynax. they killed off girls before, they killed off nia, they'll kill off more in the future. Yes it was crap. Yes it was sad. But cmon, its been what? a week, 2 weeks? get over it already. Sadder things have happened.
__________________
jaziek is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 12:03   Link #566
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaziek View Post
Cant we just stop bitching about this? What happened happened. Gaynax is Gaynax. they killed off girls before, they killed off nia, they'll kill off more in the future. Yes it was crap. Yes it was sad. But cmon, its been what? a week, 2 weeks? get over it already. Sadder things have happened.
Noone's keeping a gun to your head to force you to stay in this thread guy.

I mean how old is Evangelion and people can still argue about its ending for pages and pages galore?

:P
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 12:10   Link #567
Bunnyslayer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I just started to rewatch this series with a friend of mine (who is watching it for the first time).

The more I think about it and rewatch it, the less sense this ending makes.
I personally have watched each episode literally DOZENS of times and the ending seems perfect to me...=/

Not that I wouldnt have still liked the ending even if she lived but either way IMO the ending was fine as is.
Bunnyslayer is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 12:40   Link #568
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
I don't see how you can think it was 'fine'.

I'm just watching Simon go all out in every freaking episode, screaming his heart and soul out, and absolutely never giving up no matter the hell he's got to do. The past 26 episodes had set up this tone, and the ending just shattered that.

You people keep bringing up that the end was what made him a true hero, and that he matured from it.

I say he got all of that from:

1. Yoko kissing Kamina.

2. Kamina dieing.

3. Meeting Nia (in the begining).

4. Becoming the powerhouse that early on.

5. Becoming the leader of an entire city / civilization for 7 years.

6. Wrongfully going to jail.

7. Having to deal with over half the people he fought dieing in the ending.

8. Having to deal with Kitan's death.

They just had to throw Nia in there like he hadn't gone through enough, like doing away with her just made sense. It doesn't, I'm sorry. It wasn't the next step up for Simon in becoming a better person, it was just the last nail in the coffin.

:\
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 13:15   Link #569
ACE2003
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Tokyo,Japan; The land of Anime!!
Age: 35
Well...I can't blame Simon. The guy did save the entire damn solar system. I believe that he was just simply burned out and Nia dying was the final straw in his hat. Simon deserves the right to be able to wonder and do as he pleases. He sacrificed alot to ensure the safety of humanity and the universe itself. Simon is the epitome of what a hero should be. He did his part for everyone, now it's time to step aside and let the younger generation fend for themselves.
ACE2003 is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 13:19   Link #570
jaziek
Does an elope taste good?
 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Noone's keeping a gun to your head to force you to stay in this thread guy.

I mean how old is Evangelion and people can still argue about its ending for pages and pages galore?

:P
12 years. But that ending really did suck. This ending is like.. mai hime happy and acceptable compared to CONGRATULATIONS!
__________________
jaziek is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 17:20   Link #571
chechiarts
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechiarts View Post







heres what i wanted to happen in 27






me tooo this is a good end any way go here theres something about the next gurren lagann
chechiarts is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 17:36   Link #572
7Th
Mixtape
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Age: 29
The point is, this is not a GOOD ENDING for Simon. He attained GLORY but not HAPPINESS. He lost the only person whose company he was happy with besides Kamina, there is not much else for him to live for. He is satisfied, content and resigned... but joyful? No way, he's probably burn out on fighting, he's probably even burn out on living. The way he encourages the kid into going to the sky while embracing the concept of a universe full of bright friends in the shape of stars symbolizes how he considers himself already part of the past, of a world long lost into oblivion.
7Th is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 21:15   Link #573
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Kobe, Japan
Boy - comparing this ending with Mahoromatic? Nope, don't see that at all - the Gainax ending curse is fully lifted as far as I'm concerned. It was heroic and appropriately bittersweet, and I think much of the sympathy for Simon is wasted - he didn't seem all that unhappy to me. He got to marry the girl he loved and, after receiving a first-hand lesson in the impermanence of time at the very center of the universe, didn't see her passing as a tragedy. He was tired of constant fighting and knew he wasn't suited to lead in a time of peace, so he chose to pass his time wandering freely, and to honor Nia's memory instead of finding someone to replace her. No, it wasn't a fairy-tale ending - but it wasn't a tragic one either. Remember - all the lights in the sky are stars.
Guardian Enzo is offline  
Old 2007-10-07, 23:18   Link #574
kljs
Codename : Dreams
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Grand Line
Send a message via ICQ to kljs Send a message via MSN to kljs Send a message via Yahoo to kljs
as much as my personal dislike the ending of Gurren and my hatred towards Gaynax, I will not accept an alternative ending. Gaynax might be Gaynax, but it's their anime, they can kill off Simon also, if they wanted to. One ending is more than enough don't need another one just because majority of fans don't like it. What is done, is done. Move on.

The only thing that doesn't make sense is the beginning of episode 1. Where Simon and Boota are fighting against insane amount of enemies. The ending doesn't reflect that before Simon retires as a hermit.
kljs is offline  
Old 2007-10-08, 00:10   Link #575
Bunnyslayer
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
I don't see how you can think it was 'fine'.
Because I am a human and I have my own opinion. I am not the only one that thought the ending was good. Some would obv hate it and some would like it.

Am I happy Nia died? No

Do I think that ruined the ending? No
Bunnyslayer is offline  
Old 2007-10-08, 02:58   Link #576
Meatrose
Antihero
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Area 11
Age: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by kljs View Post
One ending is more than enough don't need another one just because majority of fans don't like it. What is done, is done. Move on.
I agree with you, alternate endings suck. One thing though, how did you come to that conclusion about the fans? To me it seems as if a huge majority enjoyed the ending. Just look at the poll-results for the last episode. The fact that the Nia-fanboys' whining is sometimes louder than our praising doesn't make us a minority. ^^

I for one loved the ending, and it's definitely the best ending I've seen this year. Heck... it might even be the best ending I've seen since Air.
__________________
Meatrose is offline  
Old 2007-10-08, 05:11   Link #577
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnyslayer View Post
I am not the only one that thought the ending was good.
Most of the folks here are either in the "shiz sucks" crowd or have the "well, at least", "it's not so bad" or "it's consistent with Simon's personality" mentality, which are apologetic views to say the least that will evolve into bashing sometime down the line.

Let's face it...Gurren-Lagann is a super robot anime, and not just anime super robot anime but an epic to top it off, and the ending was as un-epic as it could be. New Getter Robo ended with a Valhalla for mech pilots, GaoGaiGar finished the most alarming battle in the series with a miracle of rebirth, the legendary "WELCOME HOME!" in Gunbuster that was 12,000 years in the waiting, G Gundam with Domon rescuing Rain and then walking into sunset, Be Involved lead to the destruction of the universe, End of Evangelion's nightmarish planet Earth...all those shows ended on a note befitting their series' spirit.

With GL, which rapidly increased in scope from a hole in the ground to star-shattering battles in outer space, the abrupt, "now I'm a hermit" Simon of the epilogue was a sour way to finish the story, especially since [I didn't finish this sentence!].

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-10-08 at 12:09.
Malintex_Terek is offline  
Old 2007-10-08, 08:08   Link #578
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
Most of the folks here are either in the "shiz sucks" crowd or have the "well, at least", "it's not so bad" or "it's consistent with Simon's personality" mentality, which are apologetic views to say the least that will evolve into bashing sometime down the line.

Most people gave the episode a 10. I loved the ending and I still thought it was epic. As others have said I am sad Nia died but that doesn't make me hate the ending. I also loved Simon's ending. I love that he is a humble character and that his story came full circle with him inspiring a child in the end. Garlock would have been cool but I am not entirely sure I would have loved his character as much as I ended up loving Simon.

Not to mention at other boards I've been to there is no complaining at all. Most people are saying this is the best Gainax ending in a long time.
Kirarakim is offline  
Old 2007-10-08, 09:06   Link #579
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatrose View Post
I for one loved the ending, and it's definitely the best ending I've seen this year. Heck... it might even be the best ending I've seen since Air.
Christ you actually enjoyed Air?

Ugh.



Quote:
I loved the ending and I still thought it was epic.
How's is becoming a hermit epic? Everything but SIMON in the end was epic, and that's some cock eyed logic to go with when Simon was the very definition of EPIC for 98% of the series. Suddenly creating this contrast to this character makes it hard for me to accept it when there was no such contrast to begin with.

:\
__________________
~*Hai! Back to Japan!

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline  
Old 2007-10-08, 09:39   Link #580
Kirarakim
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
How's is becoming a hermit epic? Everything but SIMON in the end was epic, and that's some cock eyed logic to go with when Simon was the very definition of EPIC for 98% of the series. Suddenly creating this contrast to this character makes it hard for me to accept it when there was no such contrast to begin with.
Well I am sorry you dislike the ending. I am not trying to make you like it. The ending was epic to me.

I don't think there is a contrast to Simon's character at all. In fact the ending makes perfect sense to me. There was more to Simon than just the Garlock that a lot of you wanted.

Not to mention there is nothing in the definition of an epic that says a character has to continue his heroic deeds. Usually at the end of an epic the hero's journey is done. However that doesn't make Simon any less of a hero.
Kirarakim is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.