AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Gurren-Lagann

Notices

View Poll Results: Gurren-Lagann - Episode 27 (END) Rating
Perfect 10 340 65.01%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 97 18.55%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 35 6.69%
7 out of 10 : Good 18 3.44%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 1.53%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 0.38%
4 out of 10 : Poor 3 0.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 2 0.38%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.19%
1 out of 10 : Painful 17 3.25%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-08, 09:51   Link #581
Meatrose
Antihero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Christ you actually enjoyed Air?

Ugh.

Yeah, shame on me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chibi View Post
Everything but SIMON in the end was epic, and that's some cock eyed logic to go with when Simon was the very definition of EPIC for 98% of the series. Suddenly creating this contrast to this character makes it hard for me to accept it when there was no such contrast to begin with.

:\
Uhmm... a really big part of the show featured a Simon that was rather un-epic. Most people I've talked to was really disappointed when Kamina died, since the epic element of the show died. They were, though, as glad as I was when Simon finally evolved into the man that Kamina always believed in. Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about the fact that Simon was the most epic character in the show, but the reason for me to think so is that we got to see him go from a whiny, scared little brat to someone who decided to take the fate of mankind upon his shoulders. Another reason for me to love Simon as a character is the maturity he displayed in the final episode.
Old 2007-10-08, 12:19   Link #582
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Most people gave the episode a 10.
Most people vote ten for everything (seriously, look at all the polls!). It's usually a "do I like this show" or "do I not like this show" mind-set, with people giving a show a ten if they like it and not voting at all if they don't care for it.

Quote:
I love that he is a humble character and that his story came full circle with him inspiring a child in the end.
It didn't really come full circle, Simon never turned into Kamina, which is in essence who "Garlock" was. Don't bring up eleven's speech, Garlock was his own man and an imitation of Kamina - it was in his own style. And it's not like the kid really cared all that much about Simon's help, there was no "soul brother/parent" relationship between the two.

Quote:
Garlock would have been cool but I am not entirely sure I would have loved his character as much as I ended up loving Simon.
Captain Harlock > Getter Robo in my mind. Robo was a kid's show, albeit a fun one that went a little insane with the OVAs, not unlike GGGF. But Harlock is a classic larger-than-life romance story, the upper tier for writing when it comes to shounen. One Piece is but a pale derivative of Harlock and Dragonball.

Quote:
Not to mention at other boards I've been to there is no complaining at all. Most people are saying this is the best Gainax ending in a long time.
I quite agree. But Gainax has such a notorious history with endings fans of their work made up the joke "LOL GAINAX" to refer to those bad ends.
Old 2007-10-08, 12:42   Link #583
7Th
Mixtape

But Gurren-Lagann's ending was pretty much Captain Harlock's ending... :/
Old 2007-10-08, 15:01   Link #584
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Th View Post
But Gurren-Lagann's ending was pretty much Captain Harlock's ending... :/
Harlock has an ending?
Old 2007-10-08, 15:08   Link #585
Ninjacat

Location: In the frozen wastes of the Province of Quebec, Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan-san View Post
Harlock has an ending?
They did conclude '78 eventually. It ends with Harlock and his alien companion sailing away after disbanding his merry band of pirates. Very close to GL now that I think about it, expet harolck kept his ship.
Old 2007-10-08, 16:05   Link #586
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjacat View Post
Very close to GL now that I think about it, expet harolck kept his ship.
GL's ending has more in common with Mahoromatic's epilogue than the '78 series conclusion, in my view. The central difference was GL's "new world" wasn't saturated in a fog of despair.
Old 2007-10-11, 18:37   Link #587
chechiarts

gurren lagann

but what about the next gurren lagann i saw some pics on the gainax site
Old 2007-10-11, 20:28   Link #588
Ninjacat

Any links to prove that?

I'm not calling you a liar, but I'd be very curious to see that. Gainax pretty much stated they had future plans for this franchise, so it's pretty much a given.

If you count the final time jump, the show covers about three decades and has a huge unexplored cast. They could do anything they wanted. Note that the last Simon scene doesn't tells us anything about what he's been up to for around two decades, he could have saved the world five times and sired four illegitimate kids in that span of time
Old 2007-10-11, 22:49   Link #589
GPA

Quote:
Any links to prove that?

I'm not calling you a liar, but I'd be very curious to see that. Gainax pretty much stated they had future plans for this franchise, so it's pretty much a given.

If you count the final time jump, the show covers about three decades and has a huge unexplored cast. They could do anything they wanted. Note that the last Simon scene doesn't tells us anything about what he's been up to for around two decades, he could have saved the world five times and sired four illegitimate kids in that span of time
Heheheheh to throw unwanted fuel on that fire, whose to say those kids aren't legitimate, as unlikely as it would be? My wallet and I quite looking forward to any future offerings to this series.
Old 2007-10-12, 00:16   Link #590
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
There's some talk of that comment being in dispute. The Austrian fellow who brought up Yamaga's comments appears to be the only person to testify to them, multiple individuals who went to Con-ichi have claimed that comment was never made.

Even if in the AS spoiler topic, if there's not multiple verifications we can't trust the info totally.

Though, logically, since GL is Gainax's only major property in the past two years it's what they think about when they wake up - more seems probable. Sadly, Gainax's poor markeing when it comes to the title (namely, releasing the video game, manga, DVDs, Best Sound, and all that) AFTER the show has aired and everyone knows the ending is a bit silly. Sunrise's marketing is much more efficient, and viral I must say (to the negative).

ADV being slow-pokes is also annoying as well, not to mention their dilatory action in putting up a website and translating all the stuff for the property. The way anime goes, even a popular title like GL can be forgotten fairly quickly - this story should have been chucked out as quickly as possible.

Outside of SaiGar and Banpresto's Super Robot War title in two~three years (which might not even feature GL) to keep it in the lime-light, I don't think this title has enough momentum, given the lackluster ending, for people to continue to hype it even after it ended.

I'd only say it's a "worth a watch" title, not the "must see of 2007" like I would have said around fifteen.
Old 2007-10-12, 08:46   Link #591
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
There's some talk of that comment being in dispute. The Austrian fellow who brought up Yamaga's comments appears to be the only person to testify to them, multiple individuals who went to Con-ichi have claimed that comment was never made.

Even if in the AS spoiler topic, if there's not multiple verifications we can't trust the info totally.

Though, logically, since GL is Gainax's only major property in the past two years it's what they think about when they wake up - more seems probable. Sadly, Gainax's poor markeing when it comes to the title (namely, releasing the video game, manga, DVDs, Best Sound, and all that) AFTER the show has aired and everyone knows the ending is a bit silly. Sunrise's marketing is much more efficient, and viral I must say (to the negative).

ADV being slow-pokes is also annoying as well, not to mention their dilatory action in putting up a website and translating all the stuff for the property. The way anime goes, even a popular title like GL can be forgotten fairly quickly - this story should have been chucked out as quickly as possible.

Outside of SaiGar and Banpresto's Super Robot War title in two~three years (which might not even feature GL) to keep it in the lime-light, I don't think this title has enough momentum, given the lackluster ending, for people to continue to hype it even after it ended.

I'd only say it's a "worth a watch" title, not the "must see of 2007" like I would have said around fifteen.
Japanese guys actually liked the ending and their GL fandom is still fairly strong going by fan-artist communities, DVD sales or 2ch... hell, read the thread to see how many people consider the ending worthy of the show.

That and the OST released after the show ended sold quite nicely.

Last edited by 7Th; 2007-10-12 at 08:58.
Old 2007-10-12, 16:20   Link #592
Ninjacat

Quote:
Japanese guys actually liked the ending and their GL fandom is still fairly strong going by fan-artist communities, DVD sales or 2ch... hell, read the thread to see how many people consider the ending worthy of the show.

Agreed, it's very likely most watchers liked the ending. The thing is you're not gonna see those hang around this thread anymore.

And unlike Gundam and it's ilk, Gurren Lagann has a very unique look and feel. It may help it keep a spot in people's minds.

Of course, people remembering doesn't get you any money if you don't release merchandise for it amymore...
Old 2007-10-12, 17:50   Link #593
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I don't see how the ending was lackluster. From the viewpoint of how epic it was, it was pretty freaking epic. I see no real reason to complain other than perhaps the epilogue, which didn't really affect me either way.
Old 2007-10-13, 02:11   Link #594
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Possibly, but remember 2ch is a conglomeration of a number of Japanese views - the people in SaiMoe certainly didn't express the same love of GL that others in the board who put the fanart seem to do. A lot liked the ending...but remember, this is from the same messageboard where people thought "Dark Nia" was ripping off "Dark Sakura" from FSN. There's a lot of newfolk to mesh with the olde-tyme fans.

And while DVD sales seems like a good indication of a second season, you have to remember GL cost 2-3X what a normal anime series would cost. Geass had a high production budget but it certainly was no GL, what with all the outsourced animation and whatnot, yet it's totally dominating in ratings sales. StrikerS was made on a shoe-string and is just behind GL in sales.

Gainax wasn't expecting GL to make as big a buzz at it did, I suppose, which could explain the bad marketing, but suffice to say if anything they were probably expecting to at least break even on their work's success then milk it through merchandise, where the real money is. Then again I also don't think Gainax was expecting to get hammered by PreCure so badly. =/

Quote:
A lot of hype went into that one. If everyone knew so many tracks were omitted I don't think they wouldn't have sold quite as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I don't see how the ending was lackluster. From the viewpoint of how epic it was, it was pretty freaking epic. I see no real reason to complain other than perhaps the epilogue, which didn't really affect me either way.
When I say ending I'm referring to the epilogue. And it's mostly a case of disappointment + wtf for why I don't like it. Given how clean the ending was, the epilogue, like Harry Potter's, was both not needed and could have been done better if it had to be there.

Last edited by Malintex_Terek; 2007-10-13 at 06:52. Reason: didn't mean this, sorry.
Old 2007-10-13, 05:37   Link #595
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
And while DVD sales seems like a good indication of a second season, you have to remember GL cost 2-3X what a normal anime series would cost.
Huh? Where did you get that from? Are you talking about production costs of the anime itself? Anime dvds in Japan cost nearly the same. The 26 episoder animes cost like 6000 yen per dvd, while the 13 episoder ones cost like 4000-5000 per piece.

Gurren Lagann dvds are of normal price if you ask me. Code Geass dvds cost 6000 yen as well. If you want to talk about really expensive dvds, look at Seto no Hanayome dvds, those things cost 8000 yen per dvds and that just burnt a large whole in my pocket.
Old 2007-10-13, 07:03   Link #596
Malintex_Terek
Mahjong Triple Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashiken View Post
Huh? Where did you get that from? Are you talking about production costs of the anime itself? Anime dvds in Japan cost nearly the same. The 26 episoder animes cost like 6000 yen per dvd, while the 13 episoder ones cost like 4000-5000 per piece.

Gurren Lagann dvds are of normal price if you ask me. Code Geass dvds cost 6000 yen as well. If you want to talk about really expensive dvds, look at Seto no Hanayome dvds, those things cost 8000 yen per dvds and that just burnt a large whole in my pocket.
I'm talking about production values of the anime, not DVD cost per unit - the simmilar price to Geass is why I feel Gainax is taking a fall. If they're not, GL is more economical than we would have thought and Sunrise is just a bunch of fat-cat bastards.

My estimate for GL's budget. Normal anime is typically $50,000 per episode, twenty six episodes are $1,300,000 total. Afro Samurai, considered the most expensive OVA made per episode, is $1,000,000 per episode at five. Spread out amongst twenty six would be $192,307.

This places GL's budget within the $50,000 - $192,000 bracket for cost on average. Thus, IMO, GL is either 100K or 150K per episode - either 2.6M or 3.9M for the series total.

Hmm. I take back what I said about GL not doing that well in sales. Even with a budget like that, with consistent sales in the 20K range I think Gainax will repay its debt pretty quickly.

Why is Seto so expensive?
Old 2007-10-13, 07:21   Link #597
7Th
Mixtape

Heh, if official characters threads are any indication Nia became more popular in 2ch after she died. Despite all the hate in this board towards that plot device Japanese are suckers for tragedy and they said the "eternally beautiful smiling bride" is amazingly moe.
Old 2007-10-13, 09:43   Link #598
musashiken
ニア ☆ 命

Quote:
I'm talking about production values of the anime, not DVD cost per unit - the simmilar price to Geass is why I feel Gainax is taking a fall. If they're not, GL is more economical than we would have thought and Sunrise is just a bunch of fat-cat bastards.

My estimate for GL's budget. Normal anime is typically $50,000 per episode, twenty six episodes are $1,300,000 total. Afro Samurai, considered the most expensive OVA made per episode, is $1,000,000 per episode at five. Spread out amongst twenty six would be $192,307.

This places GL's budget within the $50,000 - $192,000 bracket for cost on average. Thus, IMO, GL is either 100K or 150K per episode - either 2.6M or 3.9M for the series total.

Hmm. I take back what I said about GL not doing that well in sales. Even with a budget like that, with consistent sales in the 20K range I think Gainax will repay its debt pretty quickly.

Why is Seto so expensive?
Yeah, well I'm pretty sure Gainax knows how to make money to feed itself one way or the other.
(I'm sure there are a lot of other suckers like me who are being leeched off by Gainax. At least overseas. In Japan, the otakus are loaded with cash.)

As for Seto... Avex Trax makes the dvds. Every limited edition comes with at least an extra Dvd or 2 cds so far, so yeah I think it's the freebies that make the dvds expensive. However the standard editions are still steep, at around 7000 yen. So don't ask me how Avex Trax came up with those price tags.
Old 2007-10-13, 15:27   Link #599
chechiarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chechiarts View Post
but what about the next gurren lagann i saw some pics on the gainax site

go to www.freewebs.com/chechiarts i post the pics there i think in the news parts go and see
Old 2007-10-14, 00:14   Link #600
Sade

TTGL was awesome only thing i didnt like was the massive time skip in the end but overall was an amazing anime. never was a fan of huge time skips maharomatic....ugh.
Closed Thread