AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-07-23, 01:45   Link #1041
Seitsuki
Onee!

That's one thing that bugged me! Mako spoke Japanese, the triplets spoke Chinese...so why didn't the Kaidonovskys speak Russian? /was looking forward to it :c
Old 2013-07-23, 02:51   Link #1042
RobotCat
In a Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I wonder if they will recut it somewhat for international to give the Chinese and Russian teams more screen time. I did feel a little short-changed there (especially with the Russians - who seemed to be wonderful over-the-top characters)
I think Del Toro said in an interview that he had to cut 1.5 hours worth of material in order to trim the movie to a reasonable time? There cut very well be different cuts tailored for the Asian audiences.
RobotCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 03:42   Link #1043
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobotCat View Post
I think Del Toro said in an interview that he had to cut 1.5 hours worth of material in order to trim the movie to a reasonable time? There cut very well be different cuts tailored for the Asian audiences.
Ah, then hopefully the DVD will have an extended version which makes me happier on that aspect.
Old 2013-07-23, 03:50   Link #1044
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

They would have extended version but no director's cut apparently.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 05:15   Link #1045
Helius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seitsuki View Post
That's one thing that bugged me! Mako spoke Japanese, the triplets spoke Chinese...so why didn't the Kaidonovskys speak Russian? /was looking forward to it :c
Don't they speak Russian at some point during the Hong Kong fight?
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 05:36   Link #1046
Hemisphere
見習い魔剣使い

They did, though in bits and pieces. Mostly after Crimson went down and Cherno took the fight to Otachi.

I seriously think WB messed up the marketing for this. It's like they never even bothered in the first place, and just went with a half-assed lazy promotional strategy.
Old 2013-07-23, 06:54   Link #1047
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Still, can't they nuke it while in transit between cities? Besides what stopped it was a tac nuke not a strategic nuke warhead (small yield, correct me if I'm wrong)

What I'm thinking is if they came anytime before WWII, humans are basically all dead. Humans got a lot better at killing each other during and after WWII. I'm not sure if a bunker buster like a Tallboy would work again a kaijuu, but the penetration should be on par with a small tac nuke at least. (If you can get it to hit)
Yeah, but it was multiple hits. Which probably means it could to another section of the city before it got nuked.

Actually a nuclear device wouldn't really have very good penetration at all. Think about what it is in effect. It's just a REALLY big high explosive weapon that destroys targets with a massive thermal flash and shock wave. The energy is distributed all over the place. That's the opposite of penetration, where the energy is concentrated in a way so that it could pierce. That's why nukes were suboptimal against Kaiju. The only way to kill a Kaiju instantly with such an inefficient weapon is to scale up the bomb, which also scales up the collateral damage.

But yes. It would be possible to hit the Kaiju inbetween the cities to try to mitigate the damage...mind. With presmart bomb technology, you'll probably have to do a kamikaze run. Without laser or satellite guided bombs, high altitude bombardment against a stationary target can miss by miles. Against a mobile target like a Kaiju? It'll be like with the operations crossroad tests, when they missed the Nevada by 615 yards with a 20 kiloton nuke, and failed to sink her. A Kaiju is going to be more armored than a Battleship. And it won't be guaranteed to be standing around at a fixed target point.

You're limited to nuclear saturation bombardment from high altitude to try to kill the Kaiju, or get a volunteer bomber crew to go kamikaze against the Kaiju.

Still. You're talking about a significant amount of collateral damage. From the Kaiju running wild, and from the nuclear attacks. And once it's clear that Kaiju are expendable suicide units that you're sacrificing cities to stop, morale is going to take a massive dive.
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 08:54   Link #1048
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
Still, can't they nuke it while in transit between cities? Besides what stopped it was a tac nuke not a strategic nuke warhead (small yield, correct me if I'm wrong)

What I'm thinking is if they came anytime before WWII, humans are basically all dead. Humans got a lot better at killing each other during and after WWII. I'm not sure if a bunker buster like a Tallboy would work again a kaijuu, but the penetration should be on par with a small tac nuke at least. (If you can get it to hit)
It's not as easy as people think it is. Granted it's a large massive target but it's a target that swims as fast as a shark.

All of those fancy weapons the US military boasts are mainly against stationary or slow moving targets which the Kaiju are neither.

The second the Kaiju leaves the portal they're already enroute to their destination. A nuke may still catch them in its radius but it's going to be very inefficient.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 09:30   Link #1049
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

On Flying: "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 13:15   Link #1050
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

...about time.
Old 2013-07-23, 14:55   Link #1051
AnimeFan188

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
And once it's clear that Kaiju are expendable suicide units that you're sacrificing cities to stop, morale is going to take a massive dive.
So, the Kaiju are giant-sized, expendable suicide bombers/terrorists?

This movie has more political subtext than I thought.
AnimeFan188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-23, 15:19   Link #1052
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

no, kaijus are engineer automatic chemical bombs.
Old 2013-07-23, 18:28   Link #1053
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post

Not really. Suicide bomber puts too much of an ideological context to their actions. Since Kaiju are assembled, they're really more like fleshy walking biological bombs.
Old 2013-07-24, 04:27   Link #1054
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

The "nuking the kaiju" part has kinda twisted the logic here .

They are soldiers: expendable but if it can be helped they're not intended to die. They're not much of a suicide bomber if the enemy bombs them while they're trying to do as much damage as possible while alive.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 04:33   Link #1055
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Not really. Suicide bomber puts too much of an ideological context to their actions. Since Kaiju are assembled, they're really more like fleshy walking biological bombs.
The closest things to human weapons are our Drones.

They are synthetic, expendable, and pretty much remote-controlled via hive mind. So they are pretty much alien version of Predator Drones.
Old 2013-07-24, 06:54   Link #1056
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
They are soldiers: expendable but if it can be helped they're not intended to die. They're not much of a suicide bomber if the enemy bombs them while they're trying to do as much damage as possible while alive.
Except the opposition bombing them is one of the ways that they do damage to their targets. When you bomb them to death, their bodies pump out toxic blood all over the place. They attack without regard for their own safety, and on dying are designed to unleash bioweapons. That sounds like a suicide unit to me, especially when contrasted with the amount of firepower they're being thrown up against. There's no realistic way they're going to avoid a nuking/mass bombing campaign once they destroy a city to a certain point.
Old 2013-07-24, 07:08   Link #1057
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
The closest things to human weapons are our Drones.

They are synthetic, expendable, and pretty much remote-controlled via hive mind. So they are pretty much alien version of Predator Drones.
Replicating Von Neumann machines as well.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 07:16   Link #1058
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

threat level of man-genociding monsters

Space Kaijuu (GunBuster) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (hell, multiple > by infinite ) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> BETA (MuvLuv) = Genju (Gun Parade March) >>> Ultraman Kaiju = Pacific Rim Kaiju >>>> Titans (SnK) > Most Zombie Virus

IMO.
Old 2013-07-24, 07:56   Link #1059
Waven
Itadaki-nyaaa !!

Quote:
Except the opposition bombing them is one of the ways that they do damage to their targets. When you bomb them to death, their bodies pump out toxic blood all over the place. They attack without regard for their own safety, and on dying are designed to unleash bioweapons. That sounds like a suicide unit to me, especially when contrasted with the amount of firepower they're being thrown up against. There's no realistic way they're going to avoid a nuking/mass bombing campaign once they destroy a city to a certain point.
The bombing of them seems more like a happy side effect than an intended purpose. Regarding biological wepaons, all we've seen of them so far is that they are definitely more valuable devastators when they are alive than the moment they die, otherwise they would destroy or contaminate whole cities to uninhabitability upon death, considering their size.

I just don't think kaijus by definition qualifiy as suicide bombers in a traditional sense. There's a fine line between expendable and suicidal.

Another topic: Does anyone (someone with knowledge about CGI production maybe) know why all the major fight scenes in the movie are in the dark, night or underwater? Is it cheaper to produce scenes in the darkness as you don't have to watch out for details that much due to a certain obscurity? - I kinda hope for a possible sequel to have a fight in broad daylight.
Waven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-07-24, 09:16   Link #1060
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waven View Post
Another topic: Does anyone (someone with knowledge about CGI production maybe) know why all the major fight scenes in the movie are in the dark, night or underwater? Is it cheaper to produce scenes in the darkness as you don't have to watch out for details that much due to a certain obscurity? - I kinda hope for a possible sequel to have a fight in broad daylight.
I don't know about cheaper, but it is definitely more ominous and greatly impacts the tone of the feature. Monsters coming out at night is arguably the longest held fear of humanity, so why should the Kaijuu (as artistic statements of fear and destruction (amongst other things)) being any different?

That being said, fighting underwater was always going to happen if only because the oceans make up 2/3s of the planet and the rift was at the bottom of one of the oceans.

---

In regards to the nuclear discussion, is it possible that the aliens wanted humanity to use nukes? We know they were either waiting or planning to terraform the planet eventually, and while humanity helped in the process, it is unclear just which aspect we helped in. Is it conceivable that all of our nuclear testing was the true terraforming apparatus they were hoping for, and not merely the depletion of the ozone and the release of harmful gases (obviously, it could be a combination of the two as well)? Has any of the additionally info stated just what the alines wanted the Earth to look like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Replicating Von Neumann machines as well.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Thank you for the info. I've been struggling with the whole Kaijuu pregnancy thing for awhile now, not understanding the purpose to having manufactured clones that can reproduce, but this book info provides a valid excuse (even if it still seems a little silly).
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad ass, mecha, monster