AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2013-03-14, 08:56   Link #1
Kirarakim

Google Reader

Just got the new that Google is discontinuing their RSS service in July.

I am pretty upset about this as it was one of the best methods for me to keep up with news, blogs, and other information.

I use twitter but it's not the same thing as it is harder to keep track of what you missed throughout the day. I don't use face book because I don't like it at all.

However some things that I could put on my RSS reader do not even have twitter or facebook sites. For example I used to keep up-to-date with Yahoo Japan auctions through Google Reader and since Google translates everything it was pretty invaluable.

So I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions for good alternatives to Google Reader? I read an article that suggests a Firefox/Chrome extension called Feedly, has anyone else used that? Do you have any other suggestions?

I also hope this isn't the end to RSS feeds. I honestly do not think sites like Twitter or facebook take the place of them but I guess a lot of people feel differently.
Old 2013-03-14, 09:11   Link #2
sikvod00

Check out a Chrome extension called RSS Feed Reader. I only use it to keep track of updates to an anime streaming site, but I'm sure it offers all the services you need. It also allows you to sync with Google Reader.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 09:40   Link #3
willx
Nyaaan~~

Holy crapola.. seriously!? This is the second time an RSS aggregator of mine has been shut down. Oh boy, this is irritating..
Old 2013-03-14, 15:50   Link #4
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
wat

google reader is closing?
Old 2013-03-14, 17:23   Link #5
spikexp

Yeah, it's closing... I liked it because it required no extension/plugin, simply connect and read...
I will now look into newsblur (which catches my eye because it's open source), but it's down because of everybody looking for alternative to reader
spikexp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-14, 21:49   Link #6
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Somewhat related: iGoogle will not be available after November 1, 2013

Yeah, I had a happy "homepage" with stocks, weather, newsfeeds, topped with a nice theme .... they seem to think I want a generic stack of large buttons that don't tell me more than spittle ... o wait, what does that sound like?
Old 2013-03-15, 21:03   Link #7
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I always preferred having a self-powered RSS reader (no need for synchronization between devices), but it seemed like every single RSS reader out there used Google as a back-end. I was using Google Reader along with Reeder (OS X) for less than a year, bah... I use this multiple times per day, it's incredibly useful. Looks like I'll have to move over to NetNewsWire if Reeder doesn't switch over to another RSS service, or become stand-alone.
Old 2013-03-18, 09:53   Link #8
willx
Nyaaan~~

So, since we're all scrambling to try to figure out what to do, here's an article showing some options. I've just loaded Feedly onto my chrome but the massive migration burden has made it annoyingly slow .. and I still have to fiddle with the UI to see if it can produce what I want it to do.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view...-will-you-use/
Old 2013-03-20, 10:35   Link #9
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Feedly will be switching over to its own backend after Google Reader shuts down. I've switched to it already and it's pretty nice, but it's slower than Reader and it opens links inside itself instead of using the browser... very annoying.
Old 2013-03-20, 10:40   Link #10
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Feedly will be switching over to its own backend after Google Reader shuts down. I've switched to it already and it's pretty nice, but it's slower than Reader and it opens links inside itself instead of using the browser... very annoying.
I don't appear to have that problem. I use article view to go through my feeds and when I click "more" in the article, it opens up a separate chrome tab for me.
Old 2013-03-21, 10:21   Link #11
Gamer_2k4
Anime Cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Somewhat related: iGoogle will not be available after November 1, 2013

Yeah, I had a happy "homepage" with stocks, weather, newsfeeds, topped with a nice theme .... they seem to think I want a generic stack of large buttons that don't tell me more than spittle ... o wait, what does that sound like?
I use NetVibes now. It's not identical, but it's close enough that I don't miss anything.
Old 2013-03-22, 08:54   Link #12
Kirarakim

Thanks for everyone's replies. I still haven't actually decided which service I am switching too. Well I really haven't had the time to experiment with them.
Old 2013-08-18, 08:28   Link #13
walkofshane

Thanks for the suggestion about Feedly. I lost all my feeds after Google Reader shut down. Now I am trying to recover the feeds from all those sites that I was subscribed to.
walkofshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 00:58   Link #14
kimchiramen

I've switched over to Feedly too and it's a good alternative, just that I can't seem to sync it on my Android.
kimchiramen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-22, 09:15   Link #15
chaos_alfa

I like Feedly, but I think it is preposterous you need to pay to get such a basic feature as Article Search.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote