Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2009-03-06, 21:02   Link #21
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmP|ty View Post
oh gawd...what was that show that used to be on cartoon network toonami..with the giant robot and the fat dude and skinny guy....the robot used to be that chicks but the guy found it and reconfigured all the controls to joysticks and shit..

I used to watch that thing religiously when i was a kid...Cartoon Network was...ahhhh nostalgia...
Megas xlr. To this day I don't see what the appeal of it was.
Old 2009-03-06, 21:20   Link #22
AceD
See You En' Tee

not watched cartoon network since i was around 14/15...22 in a few days

all cartoon channels are crap...
AceD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 21:28   Link #23
Nosauz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voracious Hollow View Post
not watched cartoon network since i was around 14/15...22 in a few days

all cartoon channels are crap...
Your missing out on a lot of quality programming. Pinky and the Brain, Venture Brothers, Metalocylpse, Sealab 2021, Annimaniacs, Dexter's Labratory, just to name a few. Even though some of these shows are aimed at a younger demographic they actually have a lot of adult themes that are hinted. Just saying theres a lot of good programming that generally gets swept into the general garbage of cartoon channels.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 21:39   Link #24
EmP|ty
Yea!

Send a message via MSN to EmP|ty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
Megas xlr. To this day I don't see what the appeal of it was.

baaw that's what it was! thanks!

And yea it seems cheesy as hell now, but back then it was like "robots...dudes with robots...food? slight humour?! GIMME!"

infact im still like that now.......
EmP|ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 23:34   Link #25
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I stopped watching Cartoon Network when Tom died. In other words, when Toonami was taken off the air. IMO Toonami had the only good shows that were actually worth watching. Most of the shows on their are crap. And when I say crap, I mean shit that I don't like thats not just because I'm older, it's because they are truly terrible shows. They're shows that I would never show my kids even if I had kids. Which I don't.
Old 2009-03-06, 23:49   Link #26
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Cartoon Network is very nostalgic to me since it is so tied to my childhood.

At first, it was the Tom and Jerry reruns, and all of the old Hannah Barbara cartoons that used to be the classics. Then another great run of cartoons swept the network, this was the Cartoon cartoon movement. Oh as a little kid I did adore those Power Puff Girls! Cow and Chicken, Dexter's Laboratory, Ed Edd and Eddy, and even one of the last ones, Kid's Next Door, which unfortunately came to an end.

I also discovered DBZ, and what eventually became Toonami. Toonami used to be the best for me, and I used to watch when Moltar was still the announcer (Then came Tom). I remember being excited for the storyline of how Tom was fighting monsters that got on board his ship, and seeing the birth of that electronic woman, and eventually Tom II. Things like Samurai Jack were definitely the best things there was. I used to love the old animes they showed.

Eventually, Cartoon Network's last great bout came. This was Adult Swim, and well I adored it. Not just for its reruns of Cowboy Bebop, but it offered many shows I never had access before to, and I got to explore interesting titles like Family Guy.

But as time progresses, Adult Swim keeps removing its anime that it used to show every night, and now Toonami was killed. I do not know why, but the latest cartoons are just not that good anymore. The only decent one in the last couple years that I have even bothered to humor was Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, which I'll admit is at least a little bit entertaining.

The magic is gone, but that is because they have removed all the great shows these days. And I agree with Vexx and his points, as I do not think this is a "Oh, the old times were so great" fallacy.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-06, 23:51   Link #27
Cherudim Arche

The only good thing that is on Cartoon Network for me is just Star Wars: The Clone Wars. As for being a fan, not anymore, with all the trash they put on. Anything good, has since past for this channel, and it would be hard to gain it back. Everything is reruns or reruns, or some other lousy show that is put up, without really getting more audience in general, than the "childish" demographic. That means more than "kids", and must be widen.
Cherudim Arche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 00:05   Link #28
sa547
*Author

Here, there was used to be Adult Swim on CN Philippines, but probably due to low viewership and possibly because of some offended parents, the local CN decided to remove AS for "safety" and put their kids' programming 24/7.

Which kinda killed my interest in CN, having not able to gain the opportunity to watch the likes of the irreverent ATHF... and lately there are toy commercials in between eyecatches.
Old 2009-03-07, 11:00   Link #29
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
Your missing out on a lot of quality programming. Pinky and the Brain, Venture Brothers, Metalocylpse, Sealab 2021, Annimaniacs, Dexter's Labratory, just to name a few. Even though some of these shows are aimed at a younger demographic they actually have a lot of adult themes that are hinted. Just saying theres a lot of good programming that generally gets swept into the general garbage of cartoon channels.
i know what dexters lab, animaniacs and pinky and the brain are - they was on when i was younger, i guess i just wouldnt sit down and watch them now
Old 2009-03-07, 11:26   Link #30
Nosauz

i guess i'm just a fool that loves the feeling of revisitng something once lost. It's almost euphoric for me when I bask in the nostalgia.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 11:57   Link #31
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Awwww.... remembering cartoon network makes me shed tears. It served a very sentimental part of my childhood. I remember coming home from school and doing my homework while watching sailor moon on toonami. It really does bring back memories. Friday nights were really cool too. I loveeeeee Powerpuff girls and ed edd n eddy. Scooby Doo the original also. The original was always the best for me. I don't enjoy the new versions

I've kinda grown out of cartoon network though. I don't really have time to watch tv anymore. But I don't take any particular liking to the shows on cartoon network nowadays.
Throne Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 13:20   Link #32
endless2010

The one show that is pretty good in Cartoon network is Johnny Test. Some of the episodes are hit or miss. But for the most part it's pretty funny. It reminds me of the classic CCF cartoons.
endless2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 15:28   Link #33
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Remembering looney toons, Tom & Jerry, Dexter's Lab and others brings back memories.

I pity everything is stupid now and dubbed, killed it for me long ago.
Old 2009-03-07, 17:17   Link #34
james0246

^It's a shame that all Cartoon Network shows of Tom and Jerry anymore is the awful bastardized PC version of the episodes that gets rid of the Housemaid/'Mammy' character's voice.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-07, 17:59   Link #35
AceD
See You En' Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by endless2010 View Post
The one show that is pretty good in Cartoon network is Johnny Test. Some of the episodes are hit or miss. But for the most part it's pretty funny. It reminds me of the classic CCF cartoons.
surely you meant Johnny Bravo
Old 2009-03-07, 18:13   Link #36
Sinfully Naomi
Teddytears
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Sinfully Naomi
I actually like Johnny Test. I dunno what I would choose between if it came down to picking from thsoe two. I may most likely pick Johnny Bravo, seeing as I've watched it for longer, and it was one of my favorite shows growing up.
Old 2009-03-07, 21:10   Link #37
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

I watch it all the time
Love Batman the bold and the brave.. 6Teen , Crowder etc lol
Old 2009-03-08, 22:17   Link #38
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post

@ WHite Majin Buu
The problem with venture brothers was they split the season in two, and had the first half premiere in the fall like most full season shows, then around christmas, they stopped, and their about to release the second half of season 3 in the spring/summer. Overall that just killed my enthusiam for the show, even though the writing has gotten better as we have gone, which is pretty rare.
The reason why VB takes so long is its one of the very few cartoons still done in the old school drawing each frame way of making cartoons. No high tech animation for them so thats why the seasons are so short. According to Jackson Publick season 4 is coming but again it takes a while. Waiting for me is fine since anything involving the Monarch is worth waiting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx
or how MTV used to actually play music videos and the ones they played were actually goofy fun exploring the visual medium instead of posing baloney
Ah I remember when MTV showed videos~~ I feel like breaking into "Those were the days"

I will say Chowder is quite funny, I like the randomness of that cartoon.
- 11th Doctor.

Sig by TheEroKing
White Manju Bun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-08, 22:27   Link #39
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Of course I am. Till they decided to add those lameo animated shows like umm... w/e

The powerpuff, dexter's lab, courage days where the best.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-03-09, 04:34   Link #40
Alchemist007
*Author

^truth

The golden days are gone but its nice to see them bringing popular stuff like Death Note and Code Geass to our TV. I mostly watch for background noise and talking to my non-sub watching friends about it.