AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-03-11, 07:13   Link #1
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
Adobe After Effects Help Thread

Like the long esteemed Karaoke help thread which has graced this forum for quite some time and has served many a typesetter well I thought it was about time that there was a AFX thread so those new to the black arts of AFX can learn from the masters.

Thread Guidelines

- No trolling about the rights and wrongs of using Adobe After Effects in fansubs (this includes the SSA typesetting vs AFX debate, the AFX kara is too flashy debate and the "you shouldn't use AFX to typeset if you don't have a legitimate license debate". If you wanna have a debate about it, take it to another thread. This thread is purely a question and answer thread.

- No trolling of other peoples work, if you wanna do that take it to another thread. If people are posting AVI's its because they want constructive critcism of their work so comments like "your AFX work sucks" doesnt help anyone.

- No asking where to get AFX. AFX is an expensive piece of software to which Adobe holds the intellectual copyright. So keep discussions of whether or not you have a legitimate license for AFX and the hows / why's of obtaining illegal copies off this forum.

(Note to Moderators : Feel free to ammend these guidelines as you feel appropriate)
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 07:15   Link #2
gumbaloom
Live-eviL Staffer

Send a message via AIM to gumbaloom Send a message via Yahoo to gumbaloom
To kick off this thread I have 2 questions

1) What guidance do people have about doing kara in AFX after you've used the import script.

2) How do you produce the glow effect that moves across the top of the text as seen in Initial D 4th Stage?

-gumbaloom
gumbaloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 12:20   Link #3
shinjipierre
Computer graphist

Quote:
What guidance do people have about doing kara in AFX after you've used the import script.
Guidance...
1 ) Find a good font, colors that match with the video/song...
2 ) Create a template for the sentences with the same effect
3 ) Don't put 15 effects on a layer for the sake of it...

Quote:
How do you produce the glow effect that moves across the top of the text as seen in Initial D 4th Stage?
Put a screenshot or a short movie clip when you say that...
Old 2006-03-11, 12:59   Link #4
DeathWolf

if you mean the "blueish/redish horizontal stroke", it's a lensflare, a typical one: an anamorphic blue/red. Originally it was a consequence of anamorphic lenses but it has become a very common special effect to give a FILM look. ^^
Any decent lensflare plugin(i think even the integrated one might have it) has it.

As for karas:
(this is personal but here's my advice)
-Dont fill in the screen with crap, try to be as "well-merged" as you can.
-Dont use flashy effects such as sudden size changes.
-Try to add transitions.
-If possible try to match the bg colors, else find neutral tones.
-Be readable, a karaoke is meant to be read, not "watched", that means no funky "appearing kara"
-Continuing the previous line: use readable fonts, that means no ultra thin serifs, and no symbollic/runic fonts, these are horrible
-Very important: animated bitmap looks ugly 99% of the time, avoid it unless you really have something good.
-As shinji said, dont cascade effects too much, more than 2 effects will probably already be overkill for a single syllab
-Moving kara can be hard to read so try to keep it in a relatively fixed location
-Try to avoid overlapping bluntly with the original credits

Now as for technical tricks:
You can mix both ssa and afx for nice effects, although with a good import script(like shinji's), it might make less sense.

@shinji:
with your script there's a way not to have to remove spaces all the time, just edit the font, make space's width 0,
and in the ssa/ass replace all real spaces by unicode spaces of another kind, it works pretty well(I usually use the japanese fullwidth space)

Last edited by DeathWolf; 2006-03-11 at 13:27.
DeathWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 18:03   Link #5
shinjipierre
Computer graphist

deathwolf : in fact, I've gotten rid of this annoyance in my 0.72 version of my script, i just didn't update my website for now.

I use a new text animator and a null in order to change the spaces.

Better than changing the font .

http://www.shinjipierre.be/script/Sh...SA%20v0.72.jsx

In fact, this feature was already in v.0.7 ... It's just that I made my tutorial with the v0.65 one ^^.
Old 2006-03-11, 19:10   Link #6
DeathWolf

hehe, nice.
Btw, your script is pretty well made^^
Puts my old to shame.(i barely had 1 timing style)
Old 2006-03-12, 06:14   Link #7
tezuka99

I have a problem with AFX...
I installed the program yesterday and I wanted to use shinjipierre's script but I have a problem, when I put my mouse on "File" I can't find the "Script" tab...Is there any way to fix it?
tezuka99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 07:53   Link #8
DeathWolf

check which version you have, i dont think it was present before 6.5.
Also it might only be present in afx pro.
Old 2006-03-12, 08:00   Link #9
tezuka99

I have the new 7.0 AFX
Old 2006-03-12, 13:59   Link #10
Eddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezuka99
I have the new 7.0 AFX
i think in non-pro version of afx, the script function is disabled.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 14:28   Link #11
tezuka99

o.k thanks...i'll exchange it for the pro version tomorrow.
Old 2006-03-12, 14:51   Link #12
DeathWolf

exchange?
joking, n/m
Old 2006-03-12, 14:52   Link #13
krusher

awesome, thanks zalas

Last edited by krusher; 2006-03-12 at 18:49.
krusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 16:27   Link #14
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
This is something basic that most video editing people would/should know. Go look in the manual under 'Masks.' Other things you can do would be to create an alpha channel using some of the Channel filters or even just messing around with the Transfer settings.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 07:20   Link #15
Nicholi
King of Hosers

Simple question to all of ye Adobe After Effects users out there. Do any of you use the CCCP with Adobe AFX or have had issues when the CCCP was installed with Adobe AFX? At the CCCP forums we have had a few strange posts about AFX simply not initializing if the CCCP was installed. However I myself even installed AFX and found no issues at all, which sort of lead the search for the problem to an end. Just looking to see how many, if anyone at all, can also use the CCCP and Adobe AFX without issues. Though I am guessing few if any Adobe AFX artists may use the CCCP.

For anyone that may have had these strange issues in the past there was a point when we believed the problem to be the absence of FFDShow VfW, though Adobe uses no VfW decoding whatsoever, there was one instance where adding the ffvfw allowed Adobe AFX to open. However since we could never truly reproduce the problem it is hard to say whether anything was truly broken at all, and more likely it was something else on that person's machine. Now however the latest CCCP includes ffvfw, so if you ever did want to use the CCCP and AFX it may work now. If you would like to try again please do and post on the CCCP forums (since I don't think we need to muddle up this nice thread n_n), or if you've had no issues whatsoever before please post.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 07:38   Link #16
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinjipierre
deathwolf : in fact, I've gotten rid of this annoyance in my 0.72 version of my script, i just didn't update my website for now.

I use a new text animator and a null in order to change the spaces.

Better than changing the font .

http://www.shinjipierre.be/script/Sh...SA%20v0.72.jsx

In fact, this feature was already in v.0.7 ... It's just that I made my tutorial with the v0.65 one ^^.

So......I don't have to remove the spaces anymore?
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 21:51   Link #17
SCR512
Ayu/Eclipse Semi-Slave

Send a message via AIM to SCR512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholi
Simple question to all of ye Adobe After Effects users out there. Do any of you use the CCCP with Adobe AFX or have had issues when the CCCP was installed with Adobe AFX? At the CCCP forums we have had a few strange posts about AFX simply not initializing if the CCCP was installed. However I myself even installed AFX and found no issues at all, which sort of lead the search for the problem to an end. Just looking to see how many, if anyone at all, can also use the CCCP and Adobe AFX without issues. Though I am guessing few if any Adobe AFX artists may use the CCCP.

For anyone that may have had these strange issues in the past there was a point when we believed the problem to be the absence of FFDShow VfW, though Adobe uses no VfW decoding whatsoever, there was one instance where adding the ffvfw allowed Adobe AFX to open. However since we could never truly reproduce the problem it is hard to say whether anything was truly broken at all, and more likely it was something else on that person's machine. Now however the latest CCCP includes ffvfw, so if you ever did want to use the CCCP and AFX it may work now. If you would like to try again please do and post on the CCCP forums (since I don't think we need to muddle up this nice thread n_n), or if you've had no issues whatsoever before please post.
Thats weird, I have used both 6.5 pro and 7.0 pro with CCCP with no issues...
SCR512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 06:23   Link #18
DeathWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uska
So......I don't have to remove the spaces anymore?
no, you dont anymore, use the space control to change the space widths
Old 2006-03-14, 17:57   Link #19
Uska
Guardian of the Seal

Send a message via AIM to Uska Send a message via Yahoo to Uska
This......this brings tears to me eyes. ;___;
Uska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-14, 18:03   Link #20
Mr.Hawq
The Hawqman

ok, I made a music vide with windows movie maker, and it is pretty good. The length of the music video is about 4 minutes and 51 seconds. I want to put some cool fading effects on the music video with adobe after effects. Now help me, the only thing I know to do is that, I import the video, and make a new compostion. The drag the video to the composition, from there how would i make some cool fading effects, or transitions with adobe after effects on my music video? Please help me, I want to know how to use this software.

Give me a step by step guide, with pictures, thanks.
Mr.Hawq is offline   Reply With Quote