AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-08, 12:10   Link #21
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
How quickly will I get drawn and quartered if I say, "thank God, we only have to endure Disppearance!Yuki ad bombardment for another six months"?
Old 2009-10-08, 12:16   Link #22
spawnofthejudge
Explodes when thrown
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldruined View Post
How quickly will I get drawn and quartered if I say, "thank God, we only have to endure Disppearance!Yuki ad bombardment for another six months"?
More than that; DVDs, remember? They aren't gonna stop milking until it stops working.
Old 2009-10-08, 12:17   Link #23
Animexcel

When I saw that, I got chills.

I'll be just as happy with a movie.
Old 2009-10-08, 12:17   Link #24
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
So, what the problem with a movie?
Six-month delayed reaction/exposure of Western/non-Japanese fans caused by regional limiting of new content. Camrips will never do Disappearance justice.

You do realize how hard it is to avoid ANY reviews at all regarding the movie for six months? I'd take endless trolling over that any time -- at least those I can unsee. Purposely avoiding discussion due to the risk of getting spoiled experience-wise (plot-wise for some) is gonna be really hard.
Old 2009-10-08, 12:20   Link #25
worldruined
power tends to corrupt

Send a message via AIM to worldruined
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawnofthejudge View Post
More than that; DVDs, remember? They aren't gonna stop milking until it stops working.
Noooo...
Old 2009-10-08, 12:23   Link #26
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Block View Post
Six-month delayed reaction/exposure of Western/non-Japanese fans caused by regional limiting of new content. Camrips will never do Disappearance justice.

You do realize how hard it is to avoid ANY reviews at all regarding the movie for six months? I'd take endless trolling over that any time -- at least those I can unsee. Purposely avoiding discussion due to the risk of getting spoiled experience-wise (plot-wise for some) is gonna be really hard.
Oh, man, I am sorry. Yeah, you are right. It don't matter to me because I already know the story anyway. But, yeah, you are right.

It probably don't help, but I think the main twists of the story was already spoiled to the death in the internet, so you probably already know about them. You wouldn't even realize it was suppose to be a twist, probably.
Old 2009-10-08, 12:29   Link #27
Ice Block
less qq; more pewpew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
It probably don't help, but I think the main twists of the story was already spoiled to the death in the internet, so you probably already know about them. You wouldn't even realize it was suppose to be a twist, probably.
I already read the novel way back when anyway, so plot doesn't really matter. It's the impressions like "Wooo definitely made up for 3 years of trolling and Endless Eight!" or "FAIL FAIL KyoAni, God is DEAD!" that give you certain expectations that are most damaging (they take away the fun part of watching Haruhi IMO, where you never know what to expect).

And for people like Akka who don't want to be spoiled, that's like a whole half year of avoiding half the Internet!
Old 2009-10-08, 12:51   Link #28
freakonboard

Old 2009-10-08, 12:58   Link #29
musume_no_hoshi
~*Eternal Bakaness*~

Ah...as expected. A movie does make the most money, so I do understand why they decided to make a movie. If this is a proper movie, unlike Munto's copy and paste movie, I expect the animation to be unbelievably amazing.

I just hope the DVD would be release like 2-3 months after the movie premire, they do that sometimes with anime movies. Oh 2 hour movie please. Definately.
Old 2009-10-08, 12:58   Link #30
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Just a point...

This is the first ever movie by Kyoto Animation, isn't it?

Now we see how they have nothing else planned for a while; this is new territory for them, they need to direct all their attention to this.

One way or another, this is a big move for KyoAni. Making a movie is many times more expensive than anything else they can do. I wish them luck.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:05   Link #31
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

I'm going into this with truckloads of optimism, mainly because KyoAni, contrary to popular opinion, is an overall pretty savvy group. I think they realize that Disappearance is one of the sacred pillars of interest in the fan community, and I'm sure they're also aware that the author himself favors Yuki's character development. I trust that they will treat this movie to the same sort of precise, virtuoso rendering that the first season of the anime was treated to.

Furthermore...

Boy, I haven't fangirl-squealed anyone since the Aion pre-release date. Lend me your ears and prepare for a mind-obliterating fangirl squeal. [Reference is worth 10 points.]
Old 2009-10-08, 13:11   Link #32
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

On another note, if Disappearance was determined to be a movie long ago, it explains two things:
1. Why Haruhi was entirely reaired with extra episodes, in order to make sure as many people as possible know the Haruhi backstory before Disappearance starts. Hell, even Endless Eight offers some official explanation for the movie's plot.
2. Why Newtype claimed that Haruhi season 2 was rebooted/cancelled; it could have been true, if the decision to make a movie means things have to be shuffled around.

We can't know the facts unless they tell us, so this is just speculation.

Moe Yuki!
Old 2009-10-08, 13:15   Link #33
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
one thing that makes me giddy about the prospect
Kyoani movie
given the high level of their normal shows
can you imagine what a movie might be like

i'm waiting eagerly
Old 2009-10-08, 13:19   Link #34
mitsuganae

Good news. Though I must admit I was expecting more otakugasmic/nerdgasmic responses.

How anticlimactic.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:20   Link #35
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
On another note, if Disappearance was determined to be a movie long ago, it explains two things:
1. Why Haruhi was entirely reaired with extra episodes, in order to make sure as many people as possible know the Haruhi backstory before Disappearance starts. Hell, even Endless Eight offers some official explanation for the movie's plot.
2. Why Newtype claimed that Haruhi season 2 was rebooted/cancelled; it could have been true, if the decision to make a movie means things have to be shuffled around.

We can't know the facts unless they tell us, so this is just speculation.
You're right that we can't know, but this fits all the evidence. It may very well have been that they were planning on doing a second season in the style of the first, with Disappearance as the centerpiece. But then, a decision was made to make Disappearance into a movie. In order to set the stage for the movie, and to keep the story fresh in people's minds, they came up with the idea of the re-airing. Note that, at the same time, they announced a staffing change. It may very well be (we'll see), that the director of the first season was assigned to work on the movie, while they appointed a new director to work on the TV series that would accompany the re-launch. Also of note, possibly, is the way that they cut the 5-episode closing arc of the re-airing as if it were just one giant movie split into arbitrary episodes. Perhaps, from a production perspective, they worked on it in a similar way as a sort of experiment/training ground -- who knows...

Anyway, it's fun to speculate, but I think we can probably agree that this announcement helps bring some sense and logic to the re-airing on a whole (specific details about how they did it aside).

Edit: You know, now that I think about it, let's say they had already planned/booked for a new 14 episode season under the premise that Disappearance would be included as a 6-episode arc. And then someone from on high said "you know what, we're going to make Disappearance a movie instead". Now all of a sudden they have 6 episode slots to fill that have to be chronologically prior to the movie (which is going to be the "big reveal" at the end of the re-broadcast). What to do to fill the time? Hence... Of course there are some obvious problems with that theory (like, they could probably have just shortened the broadcast run, unless it was already set in stone I guess...) but as I said, it's fun to speculate.

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2009-10-08 at 13:34.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:21   Link #36
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

The puzzling recent Newtype article on Haruhi makes sense in retrospect. It was the one with both normal and alternate Yuki in the graphics. At first it looked like an announcement for Disappearance, but instead it was reiterating the existence of the novel version of Disappearance... The novel that has been available for years, and as such did not warrant advertising space.

Now we know, the article was indirectly promoting the movie, except the NT magazine wasn't allowed to talk about it until AFTER the last episode of the re-run finishes.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:28   Link #37
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Now we know, the article was indirectly promoting the movie, except the NT magazine wasn't allowed to talk about it until AFTER the last episode of the re-run finishes.
Right -- this explains a lot of the Disappearance-related advertising they've been doing for a while now, because they of course have known (probably since the moment of that "cancellation") that they were going to do this. It's sort of impressive in a way that they were able to keep as much as under-wraps as they did, all things considered. I remember people not too long ago complaining that they felt they were being lied to in terms of what would be included in the re-broadcast, but they had their "reasons" for hinting the way they did -- they were trying to say "it's coming" despite being under embargo. Ah, marketing...
Old 2009-10-08, 13:30   Link #38
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Well, it was either that, or a viral campaign with pictures of Yuki obscured behind a window as she draws a smiley face in the frost on some glass, accompanied by the words "WHY SO MOE?"
Old 2009-10-08, 13:34   Link #39
FlashFumo
Wait, what?

I'm seeing more cons then pros. A single movie means that there's less time to adapt the story. And waiting for a rip that's worth a damn will not be very fun.
Old 2009-10-08, 13:36   Link #40
orangejuicetang

I'm rather excited for his movie. It seems promising.

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
Closed Thread

Tags
science fiction, shounen