AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Shin Sekai Yori

Notices

View Poll Results: Shin Sekai Yori - Episode 13 Rating
Perfect 10 8 18.18%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 10 22.73%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 43.18%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 11.36%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 4.55%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2012-12-26, 16:13   Link #61
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsea View Post
This episode was made by other people right?
The eyes looked weird sometimes, exhausted, and the faces a little chubby
Spoiler for Weird face:
Doesn't bother me at all. But she looks like a queen in a deck of cards..
Old 2012-12-27, 03:41   Link #62
Rosalena
/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsea View Post
This episode was made by other people right?
The eyes looked weird sometimes, exhausted, and the faces a little chubby
I will take a thousand exhausted chubby faces than what we get on the Yamauchi episodes

Not that I don't enjoy his . . . unique . . . style in other works just not in this one.
Old 2012-12-27, 04:25   Link #63
kuromitsu

Re: Yamauchi, I didn't really mind the faces in those eps, what I found off-putting was the amount of focus on Saki's crotch and butt in ep 10. WTF? (And then there were the lazy "face below the eyes" shots.)
Old 2012-12-27, 05:58   Link #64
Gohan78
Awakened One

I don't like the concept of the nekodamashi. One thing is to kill a child with no Cantus or weak Cantus, but they do a poor job in killing proper Cantus users. Saki and Mamoru dispatched the cats that attacked them quite easily. They can only attack with their fangs basically. I'd wager that a couple of Queerats armed with bows would make better executioners.
(De Vermis Mysteriis)
Old 2012-12-27, 06:25   Link #65
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohan78 View Post
I don't like the concept of the nekodamashi. One thing is to kill a child with no Cantus or weak Cantus, but they do a poor job in killing proper Cantus users. Saki and Mamoru dispatched the cats that attacked them quite easily. They can only attack with their fangs basically. I'd wager that a couple of Queerats armed with bows would make better executioners.
Actually Saki would have been dead if she didn't have the necklace that (afaict) counteracted the hypnosis / paralyse thing the nekodamashi seems to use.

And Mamoru didn't turn around.
Old 2012-12-27, 15:57   Link #66
Ray
Garnet

Those snow shoes are quite cool. And Maria bunny hoping was amusingly adorable. If I had to choose, though, I'd definitely take her bunny hoping/levitation ability over a pair of those snow shoes.
Old 2012-12-27, 21:58   Link #67
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
Actually Saki would have been dead if she didn't have the necklace that (afaict) counteracted the hypnosis / paralyse thing the nekodamashi seems to use.

Plot armor, gotta love it.

And she is telling the story so you know she survives til the end.
Old 2012-12-31, 03:16   Link #68
LystAP

Quote:

I don't think it's the necklace that's doing it; you recall from episode 4, Saki was also immune to the hypnosis defense that living library used on the cast. While she credits the glasses, I suspect that Saki may be naturally immune to the hypnosis, something not shared by her friends or other humans, a mutation that's specific to her.
Old 2012-12-31, 09:35   Link #69
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LystAP View Post
I don't think it's the necklace that's doing it; you recall from episode 4, Saki was also immune to the hypnosis defense that living library used on the cast. While she credits the glasses, I suspect that Saki may be naturally immune to the hypnosis, something not shared by her friends or other humans, a mutation that's specific to her.
I think she's just been lucky to have had the glasses on and have that collar given to her by Shun. Luck of the draw.
Old 2012-12-31, 10:35   Link #70
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
I think she's just been lucky to have had the glasses on and have that collar given to her by Shun. Luck of the draw.
While some would say it's plot armor, it's also the case that people who've gotten through and survived extremely dangerous situations have had plot armor of some sort... cause all the people who didn't died and aren't there to tell any story.
Old 2012-12-31, 17:44   Link #71
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

Quote:
While some would say it's plot armor, it's also the case that people who've gotten through and survived extremely dangerous situations have had plot armor of some sort... cause all the people who didn't died and aren't there to tell any story.
Depends if the character is telling the story from a narrative point of view and from what point in time. It could be right before they die at the end of the story. It's fiction - it's all up to the author.
Old 2012-12-31, 18:36   Link #72
Magewolf

Quote:

I do not think the necklace did anything to hypnosis effect of the cat.It just protected her against it's first attack which broke the hypnosis.After that she killed it on her own.

Saki does seem to have a natural resistance to whatever they use for the memory wipes(which may be hypnosis as well).
Old 2012-12-31, 21:25   Link #73
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
That's definitely one of the big questions that comes out of this episode, but the kids are 14, not 16.
Also, he started to remember. That would trigger the memory in the others. Satoru's grandma didn't want that to happen as it would affect the others, particularly Saki.
Old 2013-01-01, 20:45   Link #74
Kirarakim

Really like the moral dilemma this show has presented. It seems horrible to kill children but then children who are capable of killing a whole society?
Old 2013-01-02, 05:35   Link #75
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
Really like the moral dilemma this show has presented. It seems horrible to kill children but then children who are capable of killing a whole society?
Well, there's a kind of parallel to our current society, as the availability of guns is rather extensive, and this goes beyond just the US.

Can of worm, opened.
Old 2013-01-03, 04:38   Link #76
Lightning_Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
It's a fairly common set up, the dilemma to kill one person to probably save 1000/10,000/<1 amounts of people.

Think Kiritsugu of Fate/Zero. He was disliked by other characters in the series because of that conviction that he took, but he...would have caused a better peace if he was in a story with a happier ending.

It's rather the same in SSY, the killers are disliked/feared, but have to remove the children for the survival of the whole community.
Old 2013-01-03, 09:07   Link #77
Kitsu Breaker

They are a recap episode

Spoiler for size:

Look funny, I hope been translate

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Old 2013-01-03, 18:32   Link #78
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Well, there's a kind of parallel to our current society, as the availability of guns is rather extensive, and this goes beyond just the US.

Can of worm, opened.
Personally I always looked at it as the exposition of a "dilemma of god powers" more so then the dilemma of killing the few for the sake of the "many" (since that's just another failed solution isn't it).

Shacking the depiction of powers having no consequences has always been interesting; even back with Akira (and for what it's worth this series might as well be that movie's spiritual sequel). Realistically, if a being had unlimited powers, how likely is he to have "powers with out consequence"? I'd say unlikely. In all mythos if you look at the power of gods as the entity and not the personification we attribute to them, then this series isn't all that different. Power bending into evil is one of the common themes there too.

The solution to their social dilemma is quite simple though: Don't live in social groups. Don't take that literally, I do mean it in every possible meaning, but it's even hard to come up with the right words to say it correctly. Anyway, essentially there's very little danger to anyone if you're not in a group or society. And with the power at their disposal there's little reason to be in one—food, shelter, protection, they don't need any of it. All of the symptoms and all the disasters, not only can cause damage only in social groups but they also can only occur from social groups. They're enemy isn't the telekinesis it's the desire to be social—as ridiculous as it sounds. Of course, apparently one is quicker to abandon their children then break up the chain. It's the proof that their society is worth more then their all their lives put together; or rather society in general.
Old 2013-01-04, 01:35   Link #79
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsu Breaker View Post
They are a recap episode

Spoiler for size:

Look funny, I hope been translate
Seriously.. oh my...
Old 2013-01-04, 14:01   Link #80
Rakshasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
The solution to their social dilemma is quite simple though: Don't live in social groups. Don't take that literally, I do mean it in every possible meaning, but it's even hard to come up with the right words to say it correctly. Anyway, essentially there's very little danger to anyone if you're not in a group or society. And with the power at their disposal there's little reason to be in one—food, shelter, protection, they don't need any of it. All of the symptoms and all the disasters, not only can cause damage only in social groups but they also can only occur from social groups. They're enemy isn't the telekinesis it's the desire to be social—as ridiculous as it sounds. Of course, apparently one is quicker to abandon their children then break up the chain. It's the proof that their society is worth more then their all their lives put together; or rather society in general.
That's bound to work; living like tigers that roam around their territory and only meet to mate once a year or so?

And how would you keep people away from each other? Tell them to stay within a small plot of land and never move around?

Loneliness messes up people's minds in really bad ways.