AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2004-01-17, 01:29   Link #1
Roots
外人、漫画訳者

Talking Live-Action forum?

I know that to get a whole section dedicated to something isn't something that is decided lightly, but I would love to see a section of the forum for discussing live action Japanese TV. As far as I know, right now we have a Sailor Moon Live thread in Fansubs, a thread for the idea of creating a group to sub Japanese gameshows in Fansub Groups, a thread about JDrama's in General Chat, and there's always a new GTO Live thread that pops up every 6-8 weeks or so.

I know its probably a little early to consider this idea, but I just wanted to throw it out there and give my support for it. I think a lot of people are starting to discover non-anime Japanese TV, and I for one enjoy it a lot more than anime these days. What are your opinions on a 'live' forum section?

Oh one final idea, once/if that section is added, it would be really awesome to see torrent files for Live shows added in addition to all the anime Until that day, I'll just keep my dream alive
Roots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 12:11   Link #2
babbito2k
annoying white bat

The fact that you "enjoy dorama more" indicates that you find something in it different to anime. For that very reason I don't think dorama is going to find a home here that's any bigger than it is now.

Sailor Moon and GTO live action shows and the interest people express in them here can be taken as a sort of foothold into a larger interest in dorama as you do, but dorama is usually a lot different to those two shows. I don't think a lot of people are going to bridge the gap any time soon.

I'm not making value judgements; I watch dorama too, but not all that much. The files tend to be VCD or SVCD .mpgs, covering 50 minutes for one episode, and thus much larger than a comparable anime episode. The quality varies wildly, even within the same show; filesize is no indication. They are harder to collect up and burn and store and even watch for these reasons. All of that would be fine but I don't like everything I see so it does seem like too much work in the end.

A couple of anime fansub groups did fansub a couple episodes of Korean TV which I did get ahold of and enjoyed but they seem to have stopped those projects. They had torrents on their torrents pages and I used them but the torrents didn't have much traffic and overall it was kind of frustrating; but I can't blame people for not leaving a 700MB torrent open forever either... it just seems like a different proposition compared to divX anime.

If the dorama fans want a torrent site (or a forum) for dorama there's probably nothing to stop them. They seem to do just fine on irc. I don't think AnimeSuki should get into it, because I think it would dilute the resources needed to handle all the anime and keep the anime shows seeded.

edit: For those who are interested in dorama D-Addicts Forum might be worth checking out. There are torrents along with the series discussions.

Last edited by babbito2k; 2004-05-08 at 16:27.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-02-14, 05:07   Link #3
DekaMaster
Banned

Just use anime.mircx.com they list all of it. Some stuff gets through that is questionable, but they list drama,action,anime etc.
DekaMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 15:39   Link #4
Kiro
chocolate overdose

life action forum?

please ignore me, if there allready is one.

but what do you think of a life action forum? it's not that i'm that much into life action series. i've only seen gto and some episodes of salior moon (it's fun to watch watch with your friends. ) and just downloaded "ace wo nerae" (a good substitution for prince of tennis...). opinions?

kiro
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 16:16   Link #5
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Here is a short and simple thread asking about something similar. Live-action adaptations of anime are simply a small part of the vast world of dorama (Japanese sitcoms/soap operas/romances/dramas etc.). Here is a dorama forum if you want to talk about the non-anime-related shows.

Any thread for a fansubbed live-action adaptation of anime is already welcome in the fansubs forum, so I see no need for a new forum just to hold a few threads.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-05-08, 16:20   Link #6
Kiro
chocolate overdose

hm, yeah your post in the other thread made sense. guess i'll leave it at that. thx though.
Kiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-18, 22:00   Link #7
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

A specific forum for Live Actions? Why not.

I thought I'd add this to the series discution forum thread but then I had the feeling it didnt match the idea at all.. anyway.

So, yeah I think Live actions are getting more and more popular, yes it is good ^^ but then to evaluate if Live actions are popular enough to benefit from a particular forum, I have no idea.

My point is, popularity aside I think Live Actions are as diffrent from anime(yet based on them) then Animes from games(oh, offen based on them too ^^). But we have a forum for games.

Anyway like I said just a thought. Perhaps I'm anticipating the future of live actions with to much enthusiasm.
Old 2006-02-19, 02:54   Link #8
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Can you clarify on what a live auction is, or how you envision it? Because when I first read this, my thought was "he's asking for a forum where people post deals that they find on the internet for stuff!" - but maybe I was just superimposing an internal desire of mine over your suggestion.
Old 2006-02-19, 03:41   Link #9
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

LMAO ledgem.. he asking for a live action thread/forum.. NOT auction ...

LIVE ACTION = series that act by real people (Densha Otoko came to mind)

EDIT:
@ riker : booo, slow typer
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 03:42   Link #10
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem
Can you clarify on what a live auction is, or how you envision it? Because when I first read this, my thought was "he's asking for a forum where people post deals that they find on the internet for stuff!" - but maybe I was just superimposing an internal desire of mine over your suggestion.
Erm, he said Live Action.
You know... J Drama or K Drama, like Densha Otoko.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 07:06   Link #11
LynnieS

I would imagine that the same criteria used to create subforums for series would apply to anime-related live action shows, but that's more for the mods/admins to decide. Doing a quick search, I can find only 13 LA series on the AS series page, though, and the last LA post looks to be for "Sailor Moon Live Action" on Feb 16th.

Would LA be popular enough here to produce enough views to rate a forum like the "Music" and "Games" ones? There are definitely shows out there; "Jo-o" and "Second House" aired and is airing, respectively (I think "Second House" is from a manga?), recently also.

Maybe include anime-/manga-related movies in with the LA shows would include its popularity and chances of getting a forum or subforum?

Currently listening: Nadda
Currently reading: Procrastination for the win!
Currently playing: "Quest of D", "Border Break" and "Gundam Senjou no Kizuna".
Waiting for: "Shining Force Cross"!
LynnieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 10:15   Link #12
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

I think creating a forum for LA would also make this board well-arranged. The actual way to access LA is through searching Fansubs. I think it would only help to make a forum of its own or a sub-forum in the fansub forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnieS
I would imagine that the same criteria used to create subforums for series would apply to anime-related live action shows, but that's more for the mods/admins to decide. Doing a quick search, I can find only 13 LA series on the AS series page, though, and the last LA post looks to be for "Sailor Moon Live Action" on Feb 16th.

Would LA be popular enough here to produce enough views to rate a forum like the "Music" and "Games" ones? There are definitely shows out there; "Jo-o" and "Second House" aired and is airing, respectively (I think "Second House" is from a manga?), recently also.

Maybe include anime-/manga-related movies in with the LA shows would include its popularity and chances of getting a forum or subforum?
Yeah that might be a good idea. Include everything that's "live" whatever the source is. The thing is, I'm not sure thats how mods will see it. There needs to be a specific description of what is to be talked in the forum. So anythings thats live might be a bit too large. As "only Live Actions" were more specific, less off- topic Moderation.

Anyway I want to hear a Mod about it. Anyone up to the challenge?
Old 2006-02-19, 11:58   Link #13
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Well, the hint is that the request has been made at least twice before and there is still no sign of a Live-Action discussion forum here at AnimeSuki.

I don't see the need for one really. There are many live-action discussion threads already in existence, either in the Fansub forum or in General Chat, so nothing is really stopping you from discussing these series. I don't see any need to group them into their own forum, admittedly it might give you a sense of community but in all honesty it would be better to frequent a dorama forum such as D-Addicts.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 13:41   Link #14
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
Well, the hint is that the request has been made at least twice before and there is still no sign of a Live-Action discussion forum here at AnimeSuki.

I don't see the need for one really. There are many live-action discussion threads already in existence, either in the Fansub forum or in General Chat, so nothing is really stopping you from discussing these series. I don't see any need to group them into their own forum, admittedly it might give you a sense of community but in all honesty it would be better to frequent a dorama forum such as D-Addicts.
True that they don't need an independent section for now, but wouldn't it be convenient to group them in the same place (like all of them either in Fansubs or General Chat) so fans don't have to jump here and there for different live-action drama threads?

And, recently I've begun picking up on the Densha Otoko series, just when I'm about to scourge the forums for the thread, I realized the whole thing got wiped out in the Great Forum Hack.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-19, 16:26   Link #15
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Anyway, xris's suggestion to flirt another forum taken aside, is there any good reason why a forum or sub-forum for Live Action is forbidden in animesuki?? Then just make one for christ sake.

BTW I now the game forum is quite a hustle to deal with and still we have one. Not a chance that happen in a Live-action forum which as much more to do with anime then games, ne?
Old 2006-02-19, 16:26   Link #16
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kira_Naruto
LMAO ledgem.. he asking for a live action thread/forum.. NOT auction ...

LIVE ACTION = series that act by real people (Densha Otoko came to mind)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
Erm, he said Live Action.
You know... J Drama or K Drama, like Densha Otoko.
Well, color me embarrassed. I'm not illiterate, really, I just... don't know how this one happened...

I'd support this idea, although xris does have a point: other communities for dramas do exist. It'd be fun to see it discussed purely with the AnimeSuki community, but we are anime-focused and have quite a large venue of discussion forums already.
Old 2006-02-19, 17:51   Link #17
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
Anyway, xris's suggestion to flirt another forum taken aside, is there any good reason why a forum or sub-forum for Live Action is forbidden in animesuki?? Then just make one for christ sake.
You seem to have it the wrong way round. Since when do we have to justify why a forum isn't created.

I've yet to see a reason (apart from "it would be a good idea") as to why one should be created. It's not as if we don't allow live-action discussion, it's not as if we don't allow non-anime related dorama threads to be created. I even maintain a list of anime related discussion threads in the Series Discussion Index. If someone wants to create and maintain a Dorama Series Discussion Index for the General Chat forum (or for the entire forum), then they are welcome to do so.

It's not even as if there's a huge activity in the live-action discussion threads to justify a forum, we (the Mods and Admin) have discussed this before and in general we do not see a need for it. Densha Otoko has most likely been the most active of all such threads but even so.

I count myself as a fan of Jdorama, I've enjoyed series such as You're Under Arrest, Trick, Summer Snow, Pride, Orange Days, Moto Kare, Long Vacation, Last Christmas, Hana Yori Dango, Gokusen, Densha Otoko, Bus Stop, Boku Dake no Madonna, and I would recommend any of these series (well, all except Trick) to anime fans who enjoy drama / romantic comedy. But it still comes down to the fact we don't see anywhere near the sort of activity to warrant a new forum. And I'm still unsure just what benefit a new forum will give, all I can see it doing is diffuse the existing dorama forums of other sites. I think I would like to see more Dorama threads and posts because I enjoy such series but just like any other request for a series specific forum, if we think it's justified then (and only then) will we consider creating one.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-02-28, 21:50   Link #18
JOJOS'STAR
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xris
You seem to have it the wrong way round. Since when do we have to justify why a forum isn't created.

I've yet to see a reason (apart from "it would be a good idea") as to why one should be created.
Well.. I wonder if GHDpro asked himself if creating a forum for anime was a good idea before he did.. He probably did. ^^
Quote:
It's not as if we don't allow live-action discussion, it's not as if we don't allow non-anime related dorama threads to be created. I even maintain a list of anime related discussion threads in the Series Discussion Index. If someone wants to create and maintain a Dorama Series Discussion Index for the General Chat forum (or for the entire forum), then they are welcome to do so.
Verry intresting suggestion. I might give it a try.
Quote:
It's not even as if there's a huge activity in the live-action discussion threads to justify a forum, we (the Mods and Admin) have discussed this before and in general we do not see a need for it. Densha Otoko has most likely been the most active of all such threads but even so.
I still think that when people start asking for a specified sub-forum it should be created. This is a forum. Its for amusement and information. I dont see which of those criteria a forum for Live Action would not fulfill.
Quote:
I count myself as a fan of Jdorama, I've enjoyed series such as You're Under Arrest, Trick, Summer Snow, Pride, Orange Days, Moto Kare, Long Vacation, Last Christmas, Hana Yori Dango, Gokusen, Densha Otoko, Bus Stop, Boku Dake no Madonna, and I would recommend any of these series (well, all except Trick) to anime fans who enjoy drama / romantic comedy. But it still comes down to the fact we don't see anywhere near the sort of activity to warrant a new forum. And I'm still unsure just what benefit a new forum will give, all I can see it doing is diffuse the existing dorama forums of other sites. I think I would like to see more Dorama threads and posts because I enjoy such series but just like any other request for a series specific forum, if we think it's justified then (and only then) will we consider creating one.
Anyway, it will come eventualy and then you will have no choice to make this forum. I shall be patient then.
BTW I'm glad to hear you're a Jdorama fan.
Old 2006-03-01, 02:48   Link #19
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJOS'STAR
I still think that when people start asking for a specified sub-forum it should be created. This is a forum. Its for amusement and information. I dont see which of those criteria a forum for Live Action would not fulfill.
We fulfill those needs without having a specific forum for Live Action. There are already amusing and informative threads on the subject. That abrogates the need as I see it. What you don't understand is the problems associated with creating a Live Action Forum at AnimeSuki.

If we build it, they will come.

Those are words of dread and horror. If we create a Live Action Forum, I have no doubt that people will post in it. A lot. For the love of god, please just go to HongFire or D-Addicts if you want to discuss Live Action. They thrive on that stuff over there. If we create a forum for it here, some of their member base will migrate here. That isn't fair to either them, or us. We are primarily about anime here and it is good to keep that focus. I fail to see what good can come from losing that focus.

Then there are the secondary penalties associated creating such a forum. Specifically, we find it irritating when people want us to list live action on our main site which has nothing to do with anime. I suspect that if we create a forum for us, that crowd will become more strident and annoying. After all, if we have a forum for it, why won't we list it?

Altogether I find more negatives than positives associated with creating such a forum. Either discuss it in one of the already existing threads or go to a different forum where discussion of the subject is their focus.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-01, 02:58   Link #20
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Lol NSW never wants to do stuff that's new ;p...