AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-28, 19:56   Link #1
Hedd
Random Object

Shoka

"The action story is set during the turbulent years of the shogunate, as dark forces try to undermine the shogun's power in Edo-era Tokyo. Shirō Sumiya is the leader of the "Way of the Paper Drawing" clan which captures the chaos of the struggles with rapid brush strokes
. Sumiya is summoned to Edo, and his disciples, who have extraordinary powers in their secret drawing techniques, become part of the ensuring battles with giant drawn creatures. "

ANN has this and I've looked over a few things trying to find details on it and couldn't locate any threads on this. Production IG is doing it and it appears to be some kind of 50 minutes special if what I found was correct though actual information is scarce even though it's supposedly aired last night. If a thread of this is already active, please delete this and refer me to the real one.

Correction: Looks to be 24 minutes.

Last edited by Hedd; 2010-03-29 at 00:31.
Hedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 00:50   Link #2
Schneizel
uwu
*Fansubber

It was 50mins. The first 24mins was a making of.
Schneizel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 03:42   Link #3
bateszi

Send a message via MSN to bateszi
It looks really cool. I'm loving the scratchy art-style, looks very optimized for some fluid action scenes.
bateszi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-29, 04:16   Link #4
Horse

Fansubs out already.

Looks and sounds great, but it's a shame that's all there is - especially with the ending. Oh well, maybe they do Part 2 one day. :/
Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 04:22   Link #5
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Despite the short length and what seems like a fairly typical action/adventure plot, the animation and art style (very much akin to Kemonozume, which is a huge plus for me) is highly imaginative and fluid. I love the concept of using calligraphy as weapons and can't stop wishing that this was a full-length series instead.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 01:49   Link #6
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Yes, that was very enjoyable. The script is what won an award, but it was the animation that captured me: fluid and sinewy, with flat character design that was still extremely fleshy. I also thought the voice-acting was very effective. Really good.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 02:02   Link #7
klare

the actions and animations are good, the concept is not bad

but how the script manage the get an award is a mystery to me

what i cannot stand is the kindergarden-like character drawings
klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 02:10   Link #8
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Like almost all art-project OVAs, VERY short on actual emotional engagement with characters or character development or depth, but VERY pretty.
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-02, 02:11   Link #9
scr
my sides are in orbit

This concept is awesome, it's like the PS2 game Okami but without furries. I think there should be more anime like this, it's so Japanese.

Maybe they will make a full-season series if people like it very much?
If there's a Final Fantasy game that I must put my personal seal of disapproval on, it's Crisis Core. I mean, just look at how this Genesis Rhapsodos dude is raping the canon. It's bad. As in, fanfiction bad.
scr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 08:37   Link #10
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fevvers View Post
Despite the short length and what seems like a fairly typical action/adventure plot, the animation and art style (very much akin to Kemonozume, which is a huge plus for me) is highly imaginative and fluid. I love the concept of using calligraphy as weapons and can't stop wishing that this was a full-length series instead.
Have you seen Ayakashi Akashi?
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-04, 19:39   Link #11
pulpwin
マギ

Just watched it. I'm really really really impressed with this production, and while it isn't a full production it's sound design including voice acting and animation are really good efforts. I loved the art direction which really complimented the script and premise which made the combination fairly original. I just wish this were a full blown original series or movie.
pulpwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-04-13, 05:12   Link #12
Fevvers
a regular van veen

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223 View Post
Have you seen Ayakashi Akashi?
Nope, but I have heard of it. It's not really similar with Shoka (art style-wise), but is it any good?
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote