AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-07, 13:12   Link #81
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sordes Pilosus View Post
Slayerx, your a little off on the Tragic Past thing. What we have gotten from Hancock now is not the same flashback as the ones of those that becomme strawhats. It was more a illustration of her story, and it was what. 2 Pannels ? But that last image in the chapter surprised me. Hancock actualy seamed to blush. But i also noticed that even in this Chapter Margaret did get alot of attension.
I said tradgic past, not tradgic flashback...
what the tragic past means is that there is the possibility that they might go into detail over it in a several chapter long flashback...
a little like how Brooke at the beginning of thriller bark mentioned that he was died along with his crew and was sailing alone for year, but it wasn't until the end of the arc that he went into a detailed flashback about it

though again, the tragic past, without a flashback puts the likelihood of joining the crew still very much non-existent

grant it though... i should probably make a point that the tragic past is supposed to not be just tragic but also have an upswing such as the past event is what drives their desires and dreams... Boa's past doesn't seem to have a such an upswing in that it only serves to illustrate her shame and hatred for men and no big dream of her own...
Quote:
Well basicly Boa's past does not help her much towards joining the crew. Margaret is stil a higher chance of that. But Hancock might be the "reason" that Margaret joins with Luffy.
no she doesn't... margaret hasn't shown a single sign of a potential strawhat.
no known role in the crew, no big dreams she must sail to accomplish, no tragic past... Luffy has not expressed interest in having her join his crew, She hasn't really had any kind of heart warming "moment" with Luffy... she has yet to fill out any such prerequisite. Boa atleast got the tragic past

And even the theory of Boa wanting to margaret to join Luffy as a body guard or even a Haki trainer wouldn't fill the prerequisites... Margaret needs HER OWN reason to join the crew and needs to want to be a strawhat at her own volition... take for instance both Sanji and Franky, despite how much Luffy wanted them to join his crew he was not willing to take them unless they themselves came to him and asked to be taken to the sea; as hard as Luffy pushes to take someone, he will only want people on his crew that really want to be on his crew... she might say she will willingly go if Boa asks, but i think Luffy would refuse since Margaret would be going for Boa's sake and not truly her own... really, margaret joining the crew only because boa told her so kind of sullies her "strawhat-ness"

frankly, i think a good sign for margaret to join would have been her expressing her desire to become as strong and as beautiful as Boa while at the same time having a fierce desire to go out to sea to see the rest of the world... though i'm not sure what they could throw in as a heart aching, life changing flashback... Also i would have felt better if Margaret had actually WITNESSED how hard Luffy fought for her and what he did for the Boa sisters even though he was; that would have really help set up that "moment" of friendship between her a Luffy

i guess i shouldn't talk like it's impossible for margaret to express all of these things afterword from this point on; but at the very least from a storytelling perspective, it could have all been set up much better... such as throwing down signs of a bad past and a big dream eariler on, or again, her watching Luffy fight for her

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata
But what is Hancock going to do about her Shichibukai status and the Marine demands for her help fight against Whitebeard? Luffy still doesn't know about this - I think he'll be rather surprised Hancock is a Shichibukai. I suspect she wanted it to give her power/protection and basically ignored the WG/Marine requests until now - she wouldn't want to obey a bunch of WG men.

Perhaps she and the rest of the crew on the ship (which will certainly include Margaret) will get dragged into the war along with Luffy. I think she will quickly decide (at some point) that her Shichibukai status will no longer be of any value. Instead, to protect the island, it may be better to actively rebel against the WG instead...
i think the opposite actually... boa's best chance to keep the island safe would be to fight with the world gov't and maintain her status. unless she thinks that the world gov't can be completely toppled, her joining on whitebeard's side will just be opening up the chance of the marines hitting her island with a buster call.

thoguh i do think it's possible that Boa fears going to battle against Whitebeard in that such a battle could be so intence that it might expose her or her sister's backs

Last edited by Slayerx; 2008-11-07 at 13:27.
Old 2008-11-07, 13:18   Link #82
james0246

Two points:

1) The CP9 mini-arc took a drastic turn for the exciting. Marines are storming the former CP9 members new home. Can't wait to see what happens there.

2) What the hell happened to Marigold. In the brief flashback she was more attractive than Boa, but now...well, let's just say that she changed...

Spoiler for content:
Old 2008-11-07, 13:27   Link #83
kari-no-sugata

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
i think the opposite actually... boa's best chance to keep the island safe would be to fight with the world gov't and maintain her status. unless she thinks that the world gov't can be completely toppled, her joining on whitebeard's side will just be opening up the chance of the marines hitting her island with a buster call.
That would probably mean she'd be going up against Luffy though, which would be rather tragic - she rather likes and respects Luffy.

Given that we've just had the newspaper re-introduced, maybe Luffy will soon find out about Ace - before he and Hancock part ways.

From a long-term perspective, I think having a Shichibukai openly turn against the WG would be interesting - a powerful signal that the WG is losing touch.
Old 2008-11-07, 13:45   Link #84
marvelB

Quote:
no it doesn't... Arlong's hate for humans stemmed from a superiority complex that fishmen were just plain better than humans; didn't seem there was anything about him being bitter over how humans had treated him or other fishmen despite the past he had with his crew...

Yeah, but still, it's pretty interesting when you consider that Fisher Tiger, who also had hatred towards humans, still freed the human slaves from the World Nobles' clutches despite his feelings towards the race in general. I do believe that Arlong actually did have bitterness towards humans because of how many of them oppressed his kinsmen, but Oda just didn't want to reveal that particular detail so early in the story. I'd think that being branded with a mark that symbolizes a person is lower than garbage would cause someone like him to go out of his way to prove that his race is superior over all others.....

Quote:
not so much... i mean the chapter ppoints out that not all of the sunny pirates were once slaves and that the symbols were used to hide who was once slaves and who never were... if they joined the crew later on without their own history of slavery then it would make them much less sensitive to the subject.

True. Of course, I made that assumption before the full chapter came out and revealed that not all Sun Pirates may have been former slaves, but I still think that it's just plain low for Macro to capture his own kinsmen and sell them off as slaves, whether he was one himself or not....

Quote:
i thought the theory stemmed from the idea that the mark on Boa's back was the same as Dragon's, Luffy's father and that Luffy recognized the mark from his more infantile years when he would not have a good enough memory to know his mother's own face... which is something that has been debunked

Not to mention that Boa has no reaction to the name Monkey D. or Luffy

And why would Kuma send Luffy to a man hating island...
well when you take into account that it is also the island that specializes in the use of Haki and the Luffy has a legendary and rare form of Haki... yeah... you got all the reason you need right there

I'll admit you've got me there on the Monkey D. thing.... I guess that sort of does debunk the theory. Still, Kuma's possible connection to Dragon was DEFINITELY a basis for that theory in the first place. A Shichibukai who may also be a revolutionary spy would probably be trusted with all sorts of secrets.... like the whereabouts of Luffy's mother, for instance. But of course, knowingly sending Luffy to an island whose inhabitants are knowledgable about Haki is just as plausible (I even pointed that out in that post). But again, it was just figured that there may have been a deeper reason why Kuma sent Luffy to the island in the first place.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
1) The CP9 mini-arc took a drastic turn for the exciting. Marines are storming the former CP9 members new home. Can't wait to see what happens there.

I still think it's funny that we only see a captain and his grunts hunting down CP9, though. You'd think that much more powerful forces would be sent to capture them.... like Smoker, for instance. But then again, we don't know exactly who else was sent with Berry Good. Maybe we'll see a vice-admiral or something appear soon enough.

....I'm still interested in seeing the Rokushiki master(s), though.
Old 2008-11-07, 13:59   Link #85
Slayerx

y'know i really should fight the urge to read spoilers more often... the chapters are much more satisfying that way... though that damn temptation gets me almost everytime

unlike Naruto and Bleach, One piece is actually still capable of hitting me with surprises and really moving me... Hell if i was willing to fall behind on the story i might stop reading the manga in favor of watching the anime... again, unlike bleach and Naruto, the direction, timing, music, and voice acting REALLY help capture the manga's writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata View Post
That would probably mean she'd be going up against Luffy though, which would be rather tragic - she rather likes and respects Luffy.

Given that we've just had the newspaper re-introduced, maybe Luffy will soon find out about Ace - before he and Hancock part ways.

From a long-term perspective, I think having a Shichibukai openly turn against the WG would be interesting - a powerful signal that the WG is losing touch.
Well in the battle Boa could always conveniently ignore Luffy...

Marines: *gasp* the strawhst ran right past the kuja pirates!
Boa: oh noooo, the strawhat escaped from my grasp
Marines: oh don't worry these things happen
Boa:

For one thing we are not sure if Luffy will take place in the battle... though it goes against what i thought way back during thriller bark, Luffy has expressed just leaving Ace how he is despite the idea that his life was in danger... though it could be that Luffy did not fully grasp the seriousness of Ace's situation and that played a factor in his feelings, he may also feel that it is Whitebeard who should save ace and not himself... though this goes against what i originally thought since i thought Luffy and the strawhats would indeed part take in the battle

however, if Luffy hears what is at stake if boa were to leave her schikibukai status behind, he may insist that she fight for the world gov't to protect her nakama; kind like how he fully encourages Coby to keep being a marine even if it means them fighting against eachothers... enemies and friends at the same time =p

and who knows, boa might even play a role in ace's escape

Marine1: *gasp* Ace has escaped!
Marine2: Wasn't the Kuja guarding Ace!?
Boa: oh noooo, someone must have slipped past us and released Ace and then escaped from us
Boa:
Old 2008-11-07, 15:40   Link #86
shankss
CP10

Quote:
y'know i really should fight the urge to read spoilers more often... the chapters are much more satisfying that way... though that damn temptation gets me almost everytime

unlike Naruto and Bleach, One piece is actually still capable of hitting me with surprises and really moving me... Hell if i was willing to fall behind on the story i might stop reading the manga in favor of watching the anime... again, unlike bleach and Naruto, the direction, timing, music, and voice acting REALLY help capture the manga's writing

Well in the battle Boa could always conveniently ignore Luffy...

Marines: *gasp* the strawhst ran right past the kuja pirates!
Boa: oh noooo, the strawhat escaped from my grasp
Boa:

For one thing we are not sure if Luffy will take place in the battle... though it goes against what i thought way back during thriller bark, Luffy has expressed just leaving Ace how he is despite the idea that his life was in danger... though it could be that Luffy did not fully grasp the seriousness of Ace's situation and that played a factor in his feelings, he may also feel that it is Whitebeard who should save ace and not himself... though this goes against what i originally thought since i thought Luffy and the strawhats would indeed part take in the battle

however, if Luffy hears what is at stake if boa were to leave her schikibukai status behind, he may insist that she fight for the world gov't to protect her nakama; kind like how he fully encourages Coby to keep being a marine even if it means them fighting against eachothers... enemies and friends at the same time =p

and who knows, boa might even play a role in ace's escape

Marine1: *gasp* Ace has escaped!
Marine2: Wasn't the Kuja guarding Ace!?
Boa: oh noooo, someone must have slipped past us and released Ace and then escaped from us
Boa:
There is one problem thou : I dont really think that everyone in WG Headquarters and Impel Dawn are as easy to manipulate as our everday lowest rank marine Instead both places are probably guarded by guys like Vice-Admiral Momonga that can topple Hancock easily once they grasp her ability.Not even mentioning sea-stone gadgets........Besides in my opinion World Goverment should never allow A shichibukai to personally protect Ace since they barely trust Shichibukai.

Luffy better not get involved in upcoming battle.Its just too early for him.Moria told Luffy that Strawhats cant achieve a thing as what they are now in New World.Whitebeard is the limit in One Piece power terms, and there are thousand of World Goverment monsters equal'd to Whitebeard, waiting for him in that battleground.If Luffy goes there and leaves victorious then that means the end is close for OP
Old 2008-11-07, 16:03   Link #87
Tommy
Mr. Prince

So I wonder what's next? If Oda does mini arcs of similar length for every strawhat it could burn up a lot of time before the WB vs Shichibukai battle.
Old 2008-11-07, 16:33   Link #88
Otani-kun
Beta Tester

Send a message via MSN to Otani-kun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
So I wonder what's next? If Oda does mini arcs of similar length for every strawhat it could burn up a lot of time before the WB vs Shichibukai battle.
Im guessing Oda puts at least 2 characters together for the remaining arcs, it'd take way too long otherwise as you said.
Old 2008-11-07, 16:42   Link #89
Trax
Rock beats scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
Doesn't that come to what Small One mentioned, that anything related to Haki is speculation. Isn't it better to use words suggesting that, instead of trying to make the views look factual? And, I have to add an example: if you can force that power on an object to make it stronger (meaning you can transfer that power and integrate into another), then, you cannot say it is different from those kinds of powers (especially, in the case of nen, you can use it to achieve the exact same goal, strengthening objects).
I'd have to agree here. The theory concerning haki is a good one and well thought out, but in the end it's still a theory and personally I'm not convinced about some aspects of it. And the strengthening of objects indeed reminded me alot of HxH nen, and spurred me to mention it aswell a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Well, the chief reason people (like myself) had the idea that Hancock is Luffy's mother is pretty much because of one person: Kuma. See, at the end of Thriller Bark, he reveals that he knew about Luffy being Dragon's son, and that's not exactly common knowledge (remember how Garp's marines all freaked out when they found out about Dragon's identity?). Then at Sabaody, we see him have his little chat with Rayleigh, where he said he was "putting himself at risk" by making the Straw-Hats disappear. This is when people started to believe that Kuma was somehow connected to Dragon.
Frankly, I had forgotten where the mother theory originated from, as I was never really in favor of it. But recent events made me wonder if there could be some relation. One thing that I forgot to mention earlier is that a reason that Luffy shows no reaction to Hancock's beauty is because she is related; even if he doesn't know it. It's still pretty farfetched though.

Another possibility occurred to me though... Perhaps his innate haki helped him to resist the petrification and other charm offenses? I think the main point being made by this by Oda could be that there won't be any real romance whatsoever. And that's just fine by me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
So basically, fans speculated that there was some particular reason why Kuma sent Luffy to Amazon Lily. Why would he send Luffy to a remote island in the Calm Belt where men are forbidden from entering? Sure, it's interesting to see that the inhabitants are knowledgable about Haki, but could there have been a deeper reason? Maybe he was told of an important person who lived on the island from Dragon? And that's pretty much how people came to the conclusion that Luffy would meet his mother at the island, and well.... Hancock seemed to be the most likely candidate. And lo and behold, a grand (and potentially controversial) theory was born!

....A theory that has yet to be debunked, I might add.
In theory anything is still possible. But it's unlikely that Hancock ever had any children, especially after her ordeal in slavery. She didn't want anything to do with men anymore. That probably has always been the rule at Amazon Lily but this undoubtedly made it alot worse once Hancock became the amazon queen.

And yes, I also still wonder if there was any particular reason Kuma sent Luffy off to Amazon Lily. Was it simply a matter of anywhere being better than Shoabondy? Or was there some ulterior motive? Learning more about haki, seeing if Luffy would have a positive effect on Hancock? (his fellow Shichibukai)

Anyway, loved the chapter as usual. Perhaps I shouldn't have spoiled myself that much before it came out but I still enjoyed it alot. Luffy's good demeanor totally took the Boa sisters by surprise and elder Nyon was very impressed as well. And it turns out she knew about the Boa sister's secret all along. I thought she suspected something, but apparently there was no need as she knew the whole story from the start. Honestly, beforehand I would never have expected Hancock to pull a 180 in her attitude like that. Even if it was pretty much guaranteed that she was going to undo her petrification on the amazon trio. Ofcourse the news about him assaulting a tenryuubito cemented their favorable opinion of him.

I also wonder why they felt they had to hide their slave mark to this extent. It's natural they feel very ashamed of it, but would it really be reason enough to be cast out of the amazon tribe? At this point it has already gone so far that it's too hard for them, but even now I would think that they could get away with it.

Well, that's another shishibukai that favors the strawhat crew. Luffy either beats em or gets em on his side (sort of anyway). Now it's about time Oda lets us know what happened to the rest of the crew!

Oh and holy crap, Marigold sure looked a lot different when she was young.
Old 2008-11-07, 17:52   Link #90
james0246

^Maybe Kuma sent Luffy to meet Nyon? Specifically, as many have commented, she could be a haki master of some sort that can properly show Luffy how to release Haki in manageable burst rather than his current shock waves when he is upset. How Kuma would know about Luffy's haki abilities is unknown, but whatever, if Kuma could potentially know about Luffy's mother, why couldn'y Kuma also know if Luffy possesed Haki.
Old 2008-11-07, 18:06   Link #91
Freya

Send a message via AIM to Freya
@trax
Nah dude. Luffy isn't affected seeing her naked because he can care less for girls unlike Sanji.

And dude people. Luffy CAN'T go to the upcoming battle. Theres schibukai there. Which now are all 2-3x stronger than Luffy atm.

And NO there is not thousands of people at White Beards level. If that were the case then White Beard would have been caught already.

Edit: Haha I also noticed couple of times in this chapter the sisters had Rinnegan.
Old 2008-11-07, 18:09   Link #92
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freya View Post
@trax
Nah dude. Luffy isn't affected seeing her naked because he can care less for girls unlike Sanji.
I thought it was because he had already seen Nami naked, and consequently thinks that Boa is nothing in comparison with Nami (that answer was for Rainbowman ).
Old 2008-11-07, 18:25   Link #93
Freya

Quote:
I thought it was because he had already seen Nami naked, and consequently thinks that Boa is nothing in comparison with Nami (that answer was for Rainbowman ).
Wha??? nah. Boa>Nami. :P
Old 2008-11-07, 18:31   Link #94
marvelB

Quote:

If that were the case, then Luffy would have been affected by Hancock's Happiness Punch this chapter.

Nami>>>>Hancock.
Old 2008-11-07, 18:39   Link #95
Umaibo

Luffy x Boa. >____________>

Spoiler for :
Old 2008-11-07, 18:42   Link #96
james0246

Quote:
Nope. Nami>Boa, but Past Marigold>/=Nami .
Old 2008-11-07, 18:43   Link #97
Freya

Quote:
Nope. Nami>Boa, but Past Marigold>/=Nami .
Man whatever lol.
Old 2008-11-07, 18:45   Link #98
Umaibo

I support you, Freya!

Boa forever. <_____________<
Old 2008-11-07, 18:45   Link #99
marvelB

I'll bet that Nyon in her youth would have made all of the female characters in OP look like drag queens in comparison.
Old 2008-11-07, 20:24   Link #100
ellifeedn
Thinker

You probably wish Nyon would do a Genkai.
Closed Thread