AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > To Aru Majutsu no Index

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-11-13, 11:36   Link #661
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

IB makes the man?
Old 2010-11-13, 11:47   Link #662
Miraluka
Banned

Nop, the man makes the IB, as both, Accelerator and Lessar said.
Old 2010-11-13, 11:48   Link #663
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

See, that's why we have Touma jokes, not Chuck Norris jokes here.
Old 2010-11-13, 11:59   Link #664
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
IB makes the man?
I haven't done it myself but I'm almost certain if you look back at this thread, 85% or so of 'Touma-related' topic is about Imagine Breaker with the remaining in some ways about the girls he had 'captured'.

In an attempt to change those numbers... I'll bring up a discussion to figure out what exactly I like about this guy.

Now, all my past experiences had taught me to despise those kinds of goody-two-shoes heroes (In the best case, 'dislike') and for all intent and purposes Touma does fit the bill, but for some reason he just strikes me as... Different, and I can't explain why. I've just caught up to the latest story on 'Fairy Tail' which is an typical of a shounen action series as they get, with a lead male that's as shounen-ish as they get. And I realize one thing while comparing to those characters, I realize that the reason why people would complaint that Touma preach too much... Was because unlike the other shounen heroes with their pre-assigned flaws, that's probably the only thing they can complaint about
Old 2010-11-13, 12:06   Link #665
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Sure is. Does Touma really have a character flaw?

Anyway, starting to get my lazy fingers back to work. Will finish up Vol 16 Prologue in 1 hour maximum.
Old 2010-11-13, 12:07   Link #666
Miraluka
Banned

In resume:

Touma: I will destroy your illusion!
Accelerator ( and probably "you")*Nagasumi mode on *: Touma-san------!!

Chaos: Touma destroyed your illusion thus, you like him .
Old 2010-11-13, 12:13   Link #667
Hell_ping
一刀繚乱

Well, there's a reason why Touma's so popular, even with the guys (except when it comes to the girls).
Old 2010-11-13, 12:19   Link #668
Master Assassin
Portable Dude Mk. II
*Artist

Location: All ghillied up spying on someone ~2,000 yards away using telescope sights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Sure is. Does Touma really have a character flaw?
Too much talking, but I can't see that as a flaw. At least he's not all talk, he gives his enemies a proper beating after that.

Too idealistic, but things have proven that when the time comes to pay him a heavy price for being like that, he DID not break. Well d'uh, I dare to compare with Archer of the Fate series because in Archer's case, he already broke after the hardships he has endured as the Heroic Spirit Emiya. I don't know about what's gonna become of Future!Touma though.

... Others... Fighting style. D'uh, even I hoped that he at least can pull a Rapid Fire Fisticuffs (cue a certain ATATATATATATATATATA from a certain shounen legend which also happens to have black, spiky hair like Touma), but that wouldn't be interesting I guess - nothing is much more fun seeing someone who have just enough martial arts skill for street brawling take down uberhax characters, besides as a street brawler, he's one of the first kinds I've ever found who can actually eradicate world peace-threatening threats with that.

... Face it, not even the Railgun series will be nice without him.

*runs*

--- This line over here is a placeholder. ----
Old 2010-11-13, 15:52   Link #669
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

every siongle sermon touma gives can be translated as: stop messing around or i punch you in da face!.
Old 2010-11-13, 16:42   Link #670
Ashaman

And it works
Old 2010-11-13, 17:23   Link #671
Not Random
看著看著你來來去去

I despise the whole righteous and goody two shoes thing as well, but I think Touma is so appealing because he is isn't afraid to punch out whoever or whatever he feels he needs to. He's also a wild card, and he's never really grounded on a certain side.

Although it'd be perfect if he fought like Kenshiro.
Old 2010-11-13, 17:30   Link #672
Ashaman

The reason the RCC wants to kill him isn't IB. Its because they are jealous of his Preaching skills.
Old 2010-11-13, 17:44   Link #673
I_am_Kami
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
Holy right and IB are different.

Let's make Fiamma the example.

His holy right is different from his 3rd arm. He had a special power on his right hand and the manifestation of it is the 3rd arm.

Touma is the same. Fiamma wants Touma's holy right to become a spirit tool for his 3rd arm.

As of now. Imagine Breaker can be consider different power than the holy right itself. Holy right = to special right hand. But the power itself has different interpretation. For Fiamma 3rd arm and for Touma Imagine breaker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
It's a power that's base on the Right Hand, similar to the Holy Right. So in a way yes, similar but not the same. Of course this opens up another issue - Are there more powers like this out there?

Lol, we should name this Character Discussion thread - Imagine Breaker instead of Touma see as how it's like a Character of it's own.
So he has 3 powers?

Quote:
I haven't done it myself but I'm almost certain if you look back at this thread, 85% or so of 'Touma-related' topic is about Imagine Breaker with the remaining in some ways about the girls he had 'captured'.

In an attempt to change those numbers... I'll bring up a discussion to figure out what exactly I like about this guy.

Now, all my past experiences had taught me to despise those kinds of goody-two-shoes heroes (In the best case, 'dislike') and for all intent and purposes Touma does fit the bill, but for some reason he just strikes me as... Different, and I can't explain why. I've just caught up to the latest story on 'Fairy Tail' which is an typical of a shounen action series as they get, with a lead male that's as shounen-ish as they get. And I realize one thing while comparing to those characters, I realize that the reason why people would complaint that Touma preach too much... Was because unlike the other shounen heroes with their pre-assigned flaws, that's probably the only thing they can complaint about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashaman View Post
And it works
Probably cuz

1) he ain't a little b&$^%
2)he's got a cool harem.
3)His preaches are awesome and make sense.
4)he's a regular boy who beats the unbeatable. (although mikoto can kill him easily. Just magnetise a car and throw it at him.)
5)look at the past few pages for the touma rap.
Old 2010-11-13, 18:41   Link #674
kitten320

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Kami View Post
As one of them said girls do like manly people. This harem show aint like to love ru where the guys a little b!$^# and still gets some. That doesn't happen in real life, and also toumas a bad ass his ridiculous sense of justice should be an example to everyone of what to do when they see someone with a problem.
I guess I'm a failure of a girl then because falling for the guy who saved you is seriously dumb in my opinion. Wanting to be friends is fine by me, but falling head over hills is just no.

Touma is a good character with good personality but harem ruins him.
Old 2010-11-13, 19:00   Link #675
outerelf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
I guess I'm a failure of a girl then because falling for the guy who saved you is seriously dumb in my opinion. Wanting to be friends is fine by me, but falling head over hills is just no.

Touma is a good character with good personality but harem ruins him.
The problem with Touma is that his right hand negates the 'red string' which basically means 'ones future lover'. So then the girls red strings are left loose, and Touma gets on the receiving end.

Besides, his harem is by no means the most important part, most of the time it's a simple deal of the girls remembering who he is, and being thankful. Orsola I believe doesn't feel for him romantically, and neither does Sherry. Hinegami is more wanting to spend time with him- which you ought to feel when someone saves you.
Old 2010-11-13, 19:05   Link #676
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
The problem with Touma is that his right hand negates the 'red string' which basically means 'ones future lover'. So then the girls red strings are left loose, and Touma gets on the receiving end.
... Or at least, that's what they say

Quote:
Originally Posted by outerelf View Post
Besides, his harem is by no means the most important part, most of the time it's a simple deal of the girls remembering who he is, and being thankful. Orsola I believe doesn't feel for him romantically, and neither does Sherry. Hinegami is more wanting to spend time with him- which you ought to feel when someone saves you.
Indeed, most of them are just... Well if they see him they'll go all doki-doki, but when they don't they carry on their business as usual. It's not like most of the girls are putting aside all their time on him. So only Mikoto and Index are the recurring members.
Old 2010-11-13, 19:11   Link #677
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
Indeed, most of them are just... Well if they see him they'll go all doki-doki, but when they don't they carry on their business as usual. It's not like most of the girls are putting aside all their time on him. So only Mikoto and Index are the recurring members.
you forgot itsuwa, from her actions she also has more than a crush on touma, but other that thati think touma just raised the "flags" but still havent gotten intho their "route".
Old 2010-11-13, 19:17   Link #678
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeniselv View Post
you forgot itsuwa, from her actions she also has more than a crush on touma, but other that thati think touma just raised the "flags" but still havent gotten intho their "route".
I don't know... Outside of vol 14-16 how often does she appears? And of that appearance what role does she play?
Old 2010-11-13, 19:33   Link #679
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

Quote:
I don't know... Outside of vol 14-16 how often does she appears? And of that appearance what role does she play?
well about *screentime* it has been little, but from her action shes depicted thinking in a way to win over touma(kanzaki is more for showing gratitude, anieze and co. is more of a girls talk, most of the other girls dont show much advances), she shows jelaousy(in a more passive matter that ceartain other two) and (not really sure about this) she even drowns herself in sake due to touma beign away from her.
Old 2010-11-13, 19:48   Link #680
tsunade666

As for now the only one I can tell that really love Touma is Itsuwa and Mikoto -_-