AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Forum & Site Feedback

Notices

Old 2008-11-28, 15:07   Link #1
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Titles?

Is there any way to prevent the title-character-count-extending-over-limits problem? Anytime I access the front page, this immediately catches the attention of my poor eyes.

Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 15:26   Link #2
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Yes, by either writing the title like <span title="To aru majutsu no index">To Aru Majutsu...</a> or the column width expanded.
Old 2008-11-28, 19:11   Link #3
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

Cropping the text with an ellipsis would be a non-trivial change. I think we only have two options. We could rename the forum to simply "Majutsu no Index", or widen the columns. I think making the column wider is probably the least desirable option. Any other suggestions?
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 19:22   Link #4
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Place the text itself into a small box, such that it will wrap. There may or may not be some consequences with the rest of the floats (I have not looked at your code yet at the time I am writing this).
Old 2008-11-28, 20:26   Link #5
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

*bump*

A alternative, non style altering, solution would be to move the forum to the end of the list, if it appears last there should not be a problem. A small margin could be added to the right to compansate if it somehow overlaps with anything.

This is unfortunetly a temporary inefficient solution. The "Tales of the Abyss" forum seems to suffer from the same problem, and has been truncated to "Tales of...", unless I am unaware of something with regards to the series (I do not watch it).
Old 2008-11-28, 20:35   Link #6
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
Since Gurren-Lagann and Suzumiya Haruhi exists, why not just shorten it to Index?
KholdStare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 20:57   Link #7
SeedFreedom
Hina is my goddess
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
*bump*
This is unfortunetly a temporary inefficient solution. The "Tales of the Abyss" forum seems to suffer from the same problem, and has been truncated to "Tales of...", unless I am unaware of something with regards to the series (I do not watch it).
I do not watch it either, but i do know a little about the series and there are multiple related series with the titles beginning with "tales of". Kind of like how all the different gundams are grouped under gundam.

I think finding a shortened version of the name would be best in this case.
SeedFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 21:08   Link #8
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Oh I see, thanks.

@ Daniel

How about "To Aru...", from:
  • "To Aru Majutsu no Index "
  • "To Aru Kagaku no Choudenjibou"
Old 2008-11-29, 02:56   Link #9
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWish View Post
We could rename the forum to simply "Majutsu no Index", or widen the columns.
I am going to second this but I would suggest change keywords to Aru Majutsu as opposed to "Majutsus No Index" .

The reasoning behind this is simple consider I am a newbie who cant find the series sub forum after searching visually . If I use the search function I type in the first 2/3 words it will be easier to find than . Both ways its good because most people use keyword to search a series and the keyword here is 'Majutsu'

I really don't think name change will really affect old AS members .
Old 2008-11-29, 10:56   Link #10
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

By the way, how do you check the current code?
Old 2008-11-29, 13:17   Link #11
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

A lot of ways. If you just want to see the code of the page the most browser universal option is to right click and select Source/View Source from the menu, other options include finding the same option in the Edit menu.
Old 2008-11-30, 00:56   Link #12
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

I see. I had the wrong assumption. I initially had the thought (before checking and verifying) that those kind of things were supposed to be hidden from a typical visitor, with whatever accessible options there are. I guess, the site is not as protected as I assumed for it to be.
Old 2008-11-30, 01:05   Link #13
Theowne
耳をすませば

I see you already have "Tales Of...." for Tales of the Abyss. Why not simply have "To Aru Majutsu....".

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 04:43   Link #14
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theowne View Post
I see you already have "Tales Of...." for Tales of the Abyss. Why not simply have "To Aru Majutsu....".
The "Tales of..." is a bit different because it covers a number of different "Tales of" series. Tales of the Abyss, Tales of Eternia, Tales of Symphonia, etc., etc.

"To Aru Majutsu...." would imply there are different series all starting with "To Aru Majutsu". But your suggestion is the best of the options so far in my opinion, or at least just rename the forum to "To Aru Majutsu".

We've done this in the past with Maria-sama ga Miteru, Kono Minikuku mo Utsukushii Sekai.
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-30, 12:18   Link #15
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fipskuul View Post
I see. I had the wrong assumption. I initially had the thought (before checking and verifying) that those kind of things were supposed to be hidden from a typical visitor, with whatever accessible options there are. I guess, the site is not as protected as I assumed for it to be.
It is a presentation layer, it does not require any sort of security since it is just for presentation. When people want to be a little more protective of it, in the interest of preventing other people from copying their style easily, techniques such as code minification and/or code obfuscation. Bare in mind these techniques can be partially reversed, and are usually just used for efficiency as a primitive form of loosy dictionary base data compression.