AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2021-02-28, 09:58   Link #1221
kari-no-sugata II

The UK is using a 12 week gap between doses. That seems reasonable to me.

Somewhat surprised at this part:
Quote:
Yes, the data overall suggest the first doses work pretty well, but scientists don’t know how durable that protection is, says virologist Onyema Ogbuagu. That may not be as much of a problem in countries like Israel and the United Kingdom, which have been vaccinating people pretty quickly. But in the United States, the vaccine rollout has been creeping and crawling, Ogbuagu says. Because of that slow progress, “you could be six months or 10 months into vaccination and the first people you vaccinated could become vulnerable again.”
Difference between the UK and US (as a percentage of the population) is pretty small compared to UK and Israel. Israel is at 92%, UK at 30%, US at 21%. Meanwhile the EU is at about 7%.

Quote:
In Scotland, the Pfizer vaccine was 85 percent effective at preventing hospitalizations 28 to 34 days after the first shot, researcher report February 19 in a preprint in the Lancet. That study also found that the AstraZeneca vaccine was 94 percent effective at keeping people out of the hospital a month out from the first shot. Those preliminary data have not been thoroughly vetted by other scientists yet.
This is the same Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine that a lot of people in Europe decided to dunk on... though it seems they're starting to reverse course, but it's still the case that millions of doses are just sitting around because people are rejecting it. Sigh.
kari-no-sugata II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-02, 04:21   Link #1222
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Decided to volunteer and get the first dose of the Sinovac COVID vaccine today. Mostly pain and some swelling in the injection site, otherwise I'm still alive which I guess is nice.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-02, 12:17   Link #1223
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I just did a 5 hour reddit vaccine AMA session on my country's subreddit. It's 1am now. I'll try it again tomorrow.
Old 2021-03-02, 14:04   Link #1224
AC-Phoenix
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by kari-no-sugata II View Post

This is the same Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine that a lot of people in Europe decided to dunk on... though it seems they're starting to reverse course, but it's still the case that millions of doses are just sitting around because people are rejecting it. Sigh.
Yes, and there are apparently other numbers floating around too, especially in regards of how well it actually protects you against getting the virus in the first place.
According to the newspapers even a bunch of doctors refuses to use it.
Moreover, it's also said that there is no evident data for risk groups.

Sidenote: I'm seemingly too dumb for my current keyboard, so if you see the same character twice in a row, when it doesn't belong there just ignore it.
AC-Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-02, 15:40   Link #1225
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC-Phoenix View Post
Yes, and there are apparently other numbers floating around too, especially in regards of how well it actually protects you against getting the virus in the first place.
According to the newspapers even a bunch of doctors refuses to use it.
Moreover, it's also said that there is no evident data for risk groups.
Those doctors should get a second opinion...

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n612

Quote:
Among people aged 70 and over, protection against symptomatic covid-19 after a single dose of the Pfizer vaccine reached 61% (95% confidence interval 51% to 69%) from 28 to 34 days after vaccination then plateaued. Protection after a single dose of the Oxford Astra-Zeneca vaccine reached 60% (95% CI 41% to 73%) from 28 to 34 days and increased to 73% (95% CI 27% to 90%) from day 35 onwards.
Quote:
Analysis by Public Health England (PHE), published as a preprint,1 estimated that a single dose of either vaccine is around 80% effective at preventing hospital admission in people aged over 80, three to four weeks after the first dose. A single dose of the Pfizer vaccine also led to an 85% reduction in deaths from covid-19 in people aged 70 and over, the study suggested. These data are not yet available for the Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine because it was rolled out later.
I would note that the death rate from COVID-19 in the UK is falling particularly rapidly. Faster than in Israel.

Full data is here:
https://khub.net/documents/135939561...c-88979fc2cc1b
Old 2021-03-02, 17:37   Link #1226
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Decided to volunteer and get the first dose of the Sinovac COVID vaccine today. Mostly pain and some swelling in the injection site, otherwise I'm still alive which I guess is nice.
I got my first dose of the Moderna vaccine this past Friday. I broke out into a fever overnight and likely had a milder one on Saturday afternoon when I was napping. My arm was sore as hell for 3 days. I did hear that the pain soreness is more intense in the Moderna vaccine. Not looking forward to the 2nd dose end of this month lol.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-02, 19:41   Link #1227
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Thanks for sharing your experiences on the vaccine. Anyone here has taken one by pfizer, sputnik, etc? Yes, I am asking for a selfish purpose, I fear that any vaccine that causes soreness might predispose my mother not to take the second dosage and yep, it seems we are going to get vaccines from any pharma that sells them to us, albeit the wait will probably be several months long, if lucky.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-03, 04:02   Link #1228
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Pretty much every vaccine causes soreness because that's a sign of local inflammation from the immune response. You should be worried if you didn't have one.
Old 2021-03-03, 05:20   Link #1229
kari-no-sugata II

Quote:
Pretty much every vaccine causes soreness because that's a sign of local inflammation from the immune response. You should be worried if you didn't have one.
I was going to say the same thing

Or putting it another way, all the vaccines have similar side effects because they all work and differences between them would be pretty minimal.

I've read that the 2nd dose generally has a bigger reaction than the first. Older people generally have a weaker reaction as their immune system is weaker.
Old 2021-03-03, 12:51   Link #1230
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
The thing is that a couple of months ago we finally got the vaccine for influenza and got no side effects at all (I did start waking up earlier or in the middle of the night, which could be unrelated). I know there is the possibility we got shots of water injected, but I feel it is unlikely since the local government had made a push for everyone to get vaccinated as fast and easily as possible (we even didn't left the car to get the shots) to reduce the number of people with influenza (which has very similar symptoms to covid19) going to the hospital.

We had never had any vaccine for influenza, heck, it has been decades since our last vaccine, not even the "swine flu" H1N1 scared us enough to get a vaccine. I do not consider that I have good or bad health, just about average. Oh yeah, I hear my heart did stopped on one surgery I had a couple of decades ago, but I guess I live in a simpsons cartoon and the doctor must have punched the sucker into action >_<
-----------------------------------------------------------------
On a side note, like in a tv series, in the city where I live, just when we were about to reach 100% capacity in local hospitals, numbers started to lower, we are now at about 30% with all other indicators at the level of mid last year. Of course, it this is a tv series, second season must be around the corner with new variations of sars-cov2 arriving after a period where the economy reopened because we have elections around the corner and no elected official wants to be the "bad guy" that canceled easter week.
mangamuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-03, 19:29   Link #1231
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangamuscle View Post
Thanks for sharing your experiences on the vaccine. Anyone here has taken one by pfizer, sputnik, etc? Yes, I am asking for a selfish purpose, I fear that any vaccine that causes soreness might predispose my mother not to take the second dosage and yep, it seems we are going to get vaccines from any pharma that sells them to us, albeit the wait will probably be several months long, if lucky.
Any is better than none if you live somewhere where the virus is rampant. If not, then you might wish to consider which to take if options are available. Risk-benefit in the end.

As for soreness, it varies from individual to individual, whether the components irritate your immune system or tissues in the injection site or not. You can even get soreness from just saline injection into muscle since that's actually toxic to myocytes. Personally speaking, muscle ache at the site is the most common side effect I get from vaccinations which is an insignificant thing really since you can't actually judge anything from it, and feels like a deep bruise at worst

Of course, if you have any immune related condition then you might want to inform the doctor first
Old 2021-03-04, 02:14   Link #1232
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

So we're allegedly getting Astrazeneca on a flight a few hours from now. I asked the admins if I could sneak in a dose for me to complement my Sinovac if they have any extras lying around.
Old 2021-03-05, 01:59   Link #1233
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Belmonte did a press conference yesterday and mentioned Sinovac as part of her appeal to get vaccinated ASAP.

Since the companies behind Sinovac and Sinopharm never disclosed official efficacy rates until the other countries did so (eg Brazil, Indonesia), I'd wait until Quezon City gets Astra rolling.

So sorry to her, but I'd rather wait. I've got no problem cooping up in my house as I'm remote working with people from Europe and I never trusted the Chinese vaccine companies to be transparent.

PS - I'd say the same for Sputnik, but only because they published their results in Lancet (?) at the effin last minute.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-05, 22:29   Link #1234
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Meanwhile...

https://hongkongfp.com/2021/03/05/ch...ently-in-jail/

Zhang Zhan's starting a hunger strike in jail to protest her sentence/prison treatment.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-06, 18:20   Link #1235
Jaden

Finally seeing some proper coronavirus spread in Finland. Pretty weird that it hasn't spiked until now~

And, the govt suddenly decided to delay elections by 2 months.

The general sentiment towards this move is indifference. Imagine that in US!
Old 2021-03-06, 20:29   Link #1236
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Finally seeing some proper coronavirus spread in Finland. Pretty weird that it hasn't spiked until now~

And, the govt suddenly decided to delay elections by 2 months.

The general sentiment towards this move is indifference. Imagine that in US!
Two huge differences:

1. Parliamentary elections don't have a fixed date, only a deadline by which the government must hold them. The date of the U.S. election is codified in the constitution.
2. The U.S. had a leader who was openly hostile to democracy, and had already threatened to ignore the constitution and make himself president for life. He did suggest delaying the election and the response was met with horror (though little surprise) by all but his most manic supporters.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-07, 03:03   Link #1237
Jaden

Yea well, the biggest difference is that we don't give a shit. They could move the election by 2 years and nobody would riot.
Old 2021-03-07, 04:03   Link #1238
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

That too.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-09, 13:49   Link #1239
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
2. The U.S. had a leader who was openly hostile to democracy, and had already threatened to ignore the constitution and make himself president for life. He did suggest delaying the election and the response was met with horror (though little surprise) by all but his most manic supporters.
OK my opinion of the guy is hardly any better than yours, but I've never heard anything about him threatening to make himself president for life. Plenty of people have speculated that he wanted to, but just where did you hear him actually say such a thing?
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-09, 16:04   Link #1240
GDB

He "joked" about it plenty of times. And we know his "jokes" are just "let's see how this plays and that'll determine if I meant it or not."
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote