AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

Old 2007-01-06, 16:46   Link #21
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

Great new! Thanks monir ^^
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-19, 19:54   Link #22
ZODDGUTS

I'm looking forward to this anime I've read the first 6 volumes and it's good. Hopefully Madhouse does a decent job with the action scenes because there's plenty of them in the manga.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 01:42   Link #23
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Sadly most Madhouse shows do not have many action scenes, such as Death Note, Paradise Kiss for instance and I don't much like the action in some of their other shows like X. However they did do Getbackers and Gunslinger Girls so I am hopeful. With a record like that we won't really know what we're getting until it happens.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 02:16   Link #24
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Madhouse's not one to be consistent on their action animation scenes. Saiunkoku Monogatari for one has some of the worse action scenes I've seen in anime. Black Lagoon's action quality increases and drops depending on the episode, but it's nothing epic for a one-cour show. However, shows like Sakura Taisen, Getbackers, Hajime no Ippo are also testament to how they can produce quality action scenes when they feel like it...or rather when they aren't killing their staff animators by telling them to draw scenes for 10 animes at a time. :P

If anything, I'm slightly worried at how they're planning to end Claymore. The manga-run at this point is far from ending, and there's only one point in the manga currently that could work as a standalone to-be-continued ending without feeling too out of place. But naturally, even that answers nothing.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 03:33   Link #25
wao
OK.

Huh? Wasn't Getbackers by Studio Deen?

I think it's not quite fair to judge a particular studio for not being able to come up with action scenes. While some studios build up a particular image and do have a forte in certain things (like Ghibli and BONES) I don't think Madhouse is one of them since they do such a humongous range of things in very differing quality. The same studio did Tokyo Godfathers, Death Note, Kemonozume and Okusama wa Joshikousei - all extremely extremely different shows in terms of aesthetic and content...

I might be wrong, but I think with Madhouse it depends more on the main creative staff, and depending on how much control they wield over the individual episodes' staff, then it's also up to those people.
Then again the production of anime's more complex than that, it also depends on the demands of the producers and the budget and schedule too...
Old 2007-02-20, 05:13   Link #26
duckroll
綺羅星★!

Wow, for people to say that Madhouse is not good with action anime just shows how ignorant some people are of what Madhouse is. Madhouse is Kawajiri's studio, famous for movies like Vampire Hunter D, Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust, Ninja Scroll, X and TV series like Trigun, Gungrave, Ninja Scroll TV and X TV. They're also the ones behind the animation for the Animatrix shorts World Record and Program.

If there's anything that Madhouse *is* famous for, it's for intense action packed anime. Just because they handle about 6 shows per season and their recent projects aren't action packed types of show doesn't mean it's not their speciality.
duckroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-20, 09:24   Link #27
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Vampire hunter D: Bloodlust=Movie
Ninja Scroll=Movie
X tv=Pretty good action scenes but very short most of the times
Trigun=ok animation
Gungrave=ok animation
Ninja Scroll=ok animation

Madhouse has really good animation when they put effort in it. They show this in their movies. But I haven't seen fights that blew me away in their tv series.
X tv came closest with that. I loved X tv's action scenes but they were so short.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 13:58   Link #28
a_nevels666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru View Post
Ninja Scroll=Movie
Trigun=ok animation
Gungrave=ok animation

Madhouse has really good animation when they put effort in it. They show this in their movies. But I haven't seen fights that blew me away in their tv series.
X tv came closest with that. I loved X tv's action scenes but they were so short.

Hajime no Ippo is easily of the best action anime TV series there is, with some of the best fight scenes out there and consistently good animation.
Madhouse = king of action scenes.
The main problem with TV series is that there isn't always enough funding.
a_nevels666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 15:32   Link #29
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Ninja Scroll=Movie
Trigun=ok animation
Gungrave=ok animation

Watch Paranoia Agent and Kemonozume. Best Madhouse animated TV shows.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-21, 16:21   Link #30
Haohmaru
The Invincible Samurai

Forgot about those. I've seen them. Hajimme no Ippo was awesome because of the characters and story. Action scenes were good (like the guy with the shotgun who beat that dude, awesome fight), but not all the fights had good animation. A lot of re-used animation too.

Kemonozume wasn't that hard to animate since it has no to little detail. Fights were nothing special IMO.
Haven't seen Paranoia Agent.
But you're right about the funding. Madhouse has shown that they're really good. Why not trust them and give them a bigger budget.
Haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 09:04   Link #31
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Some nifty screenshots from the anime ...

Spoiler:

I assume these are from the first episode.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-02-22 at 11:18. Reason: fixed links
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 10:25   Link #32
BluWacky
尻の竜

Quote:
Kemonozume wasn't that hard to animate since it has no to little detail. Fights were nothing special IMO.
...words fail me.

Anyway, Madhouse with budget and Kawajiri/Rin Taro = awesome fight scenes, Madhouse with no budget and Korean outsourcing = speedlines at dawn. Here's hoping it's the former (Claymore has pretty decent circulation, right? Should be able to get some decent sponsors)
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 11:36   Link #33
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post

Spoiler:

Screenshots look pretty nice, though I admit my skepticism toward a show that features monster won't go away until I see a few episodes of it. I won't even ask how did you manage to get your hand on the screens., or will I?
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 11:57   Link #34
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Screenshots look pretty nice, though I admit my skepticism toward a show that features monster won't go away until I see a few episodes of it.
Same here really. I have zero expectations (never read the manga) but the screens look promising - the character design is quite detailed, the action appears blood thirsty so that may be a bonus. The monsters do look a bit basic though, but these things are always hard to guage by screenshots alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
I won't even ask how did you manage to get your hand on the screens., or will I?
Found them on my travels at GA News (they seem to be getting scoops on new anime lately it seems). There's also some photos of the seiyuus on the last day of recording on that page for those interested in such things.
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-02-22, 13:41   Link #35
Crystal_Method
I want dreads...
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonhex View Post

Spoiler:

Looks like the show will live up to the manga's action. Also the character designs were done very well, so I have no complaints.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-02-23, 01:30   Link #36
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

If those screenshots are all from episode 1, then they are mixing up the order of the story.

Putting that aside, the screenshots look great.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-03, 21:33   Link #37
Drytchnath
Sexual Tyrannosaurus Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
If those screenshots are all from episode 1, then they are mixing up the order of the story.

Putting that aside, the screenshots look great.
Yea i noticed the jumbled timeline shown there as well...lets hope it doesnt go overboard. And in that last shot Clare's profile looks all kinds of messed up with her nose, its almost double the size of the manga design and very angular.

Hmm, maybe my expectations are a little too high?
Drytchnath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 02:31   Link #38
DangerMouse

I think her overall design in those shots looks great, but I haven't really seen an awful lot of the manga since I'm more of an animation person. That angle always seems to be bad for human noses lol.

I really like the rather unique (I can't even think of the right descriptive word, since I know so little about art) style of the designs for the human characters displayed in those shots, and detail and shadow work on them, the style and the color palette seem more like the style used in anime movies rather than tv shows which I think is going to be a treat.

If the third shot is reminiscent of the action scenes I think this show is going to be awesome and well funded. It looks like perhaps the "weighty" shots will be augmented with something much more cinematic than speed lines and at the same time will keep the real background and thereby not take us out of the environment, I love this style and it's pretty rare for obvious reasons. Scrapped Princess often did this for the sword fights and I loved how smooth and exciting it made the action flow by not taking me out of the moment.

From these screens it certainly wouldn't surprise me if that were the case, I love the more movie-like camera angles like in shot #5 and the close personal shot in the last one since there's just something about it that I think makes it feel heavier than usual, perhaps it's the color and line work, almost making it feel more detailed than it really is. (Then again these are shots and not screenshots from media player heh)

Perhaps someone else can put it better into words (when looking at the last 5 shots), but there's just something great and different thanks to the adaptation artist and the original manga artist, camera choices, and colors that gives the look of the show something a bit more "anime-film like".

Edit: I don't mean that they'll be able to do it like an feature, since that's just asking for disappointment, but more in that style than the typical TV series, if that makes any sense
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 02:51   Link #39
Quajafrie
Not here anymore!

Whoa, these shots are love. I think that, with Madhouse, it goes like this: Manga is good -> Anime is good (and sometimes better). They've become experts with adaptations, having exciting direction tricks and different camera methods which bring the manga to a new level (examples: Death Note, Monster, NANA?). Let's hope they'll do the same with Claymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haohmaru
Okay...
Quajafrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-03-04, 12:02   Link #40
Boukenxha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drytchnath View Post
Yea i noticed the jumbled timeline shown there as well...lets hope it doesnt go overboard.
I checked and that actually looks like chapter 3 of volume 1.

Any news about the anime series length? I have read till volume 10 of the manga, I don't remember any point where it's suitable to put an ending.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote