AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Kanon

Notices

View Poll Results: Kanon - 2006 - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 117 66.48%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 38 21.59%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 7.39%
7 out of 10 : Good 5 2.84%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.14%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 1 0.57%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2006-12-06, 10:20   Link #1
Catgirls
I am mowing clowns

Kanon - 2006 - Episode 10 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Kanon, Episode 10.

Thread Guidelines
  • No telling or asking for raws.
  • Try to keep spoilers from the game or manga out of the anime thread.
    If you need to in reply to someone with a reference to the game or manga, either PM them or use clearly marked spoiler tags (see example below).
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if not aired.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Try to keep the discussion on topic and future episode spoilers out of the thread whenever possible.

Spoiler Tag Example
[spoiler=title]Don't forget to use a title for the spoiler![/spoiler]
...becomes...
Spoiler for title:
Old 2006-12-07, 13:15   Link #2
Orrin
Sumika Kagami Fanboy

Well this episode is probably the best 24 minutes of anime i have seen this year, first time I'll give away a perfect 10. This was just so much...

I don't want to spoil anything even with tags so I won't say anything more.
Old 2006-12-07, 14:37   Link #3
Celia
Hikikomori

Send a message via AIM to Celia
Personally, I didn't like this episode... And Makoto is my favorite Kanon girl.
I'm not sure what it was, but the way they handled it could have went a lot better. This episode had the real potential to be a cry fest, and I barely shed one tear. (And I'm not emotionless either, this is coming from the girl who cried for 20 minutes straight while playing Planetarian.)
Spoiler for Makoto:
I think the original series handled her ending a lot better, though it was a bit rushed. All in all, I'm disappointed with the way KyoAni went about Makoto's arc. While it was nice seing her fleshed out more, having her be the first girl to go AND the way they did it was just two thumbs down for me.
Though, I can't say I'm 100% disappointed. The animation was stunning, as usual, and the Mishio/Makoto scenes were wonderful. So I have it a seven out of ten. The episode was good, but not the great it had the potential to be.
On other notes, no Ayu or Mai either. Though it seems like we'll be getting plenty of them in the next episode. (Is that Ayu's cooking on the table??)
Old 2006-12-07, 15:12   Link #4
Leo_Otaku
Rewrite of the Life

Send a message via AIM to Leo_Otaku Send a message via MSN to Leo_Otaku
I thought it was handled very well,

Spoiler for Makoto:

I thought it was done very well, actually. Mishio's extended character was very interesting too.

Mai's arc next ^-^
Old 2006-12-07, 15:14   Link #5
Mentar
Banned

I've got to say I have to disagree. In my opinion, the way KyoAni handled it was outstanding. A solid 9 again.
Old 2006-12-07, 16:02   Link #6
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Episode 10 screenshots courtesy of Random Curiosity. Have the tissue ready for this one Hmm...I'm beginning to miss Ayu Wonder what she was doing when this is happening?
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2006-12-07, 17:14   Link #7
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

My god... the beginning when Akiko-san says "Mommy will have fun with you" already has my stomach upset. When Amano's introduction to Makoto, I was only surprised when Makoto calls Yuiichi's name as well.
The birthday scene is just sobering. The firework that comes afterward...
and Akiko sending her off is stinging to me.
I love this Yuiich far more personally.

At anyrate... it wasn't as battering as I've dread it to be. The graphics seem a bit off in some places... but anyway. Maybe it's because I've long expected it coming.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-12-07, 17:54   Link #8
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I kind of see what Celia is lamenting..... the end "special effect" seemed a bit more in the 2002 version ... but the run up in this version is stellar ...

(stellar as in my chest aches now)
Old 2006-12-07, 18:07   Link #9
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Personally, I really liked this episode. It wasn't destructive as I thought it would be, probably because I know the story too well. Then again, crying is not my objective anyway.

Spoiler:

Next week will be the start of Mai's route, it seems...
We're an important point here: will Kyoani really be able to "weave" everything into one story? Will we see references to Makoto's events, or will Yuuichi simply pretend nothing happened and move on to his next targe... I mean, move on with his life?
Old 2006-12-07, 21:07   Link #10
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

I agree that the Toei version had more impact compared with the Kyoani version, but deep down, the Toei version made a fundemental error by going with pure impact and this again made Kyoani's handling better. The error has to do with the message the execution conveyed across.

Spoiler:

Next episode has both Mai and Ayu's elements in it. I'm happy to see, but not surprised, that they're going to weave Ayu's part into Mai's story.

Last edited by houkoholic; 2006-12-07 at 21:18.
Old 2006-12-07, 23:09   Link #11
Greenish Growth

You raise a good point Houkoholic.

This might mean that the other girl's stories might not end up quite as dramatic as I thought they would in this second series. I figured that increased accuracy and length would increase the drama, but that was a mistaken assumption on my part.

I'll adjust my expectations accordingly and continue to enjoy the scenes I didn't get to see in the first series.
Old 2006-12-07, 23:46   Link #12
Meophist

Kyoto Animation just exceeded my expectations ten-fold. When I was expecting the end, I wasn't expecting this. Just simply incredible. Absolutely perfect.

I wonder if we'll see Mishio-san again…
Old 2006-12-08, 01:59   Link #13
todkapuz
Seiza + Katana = Ai-daiyo

I'm glad I wasn't as teary as I was in the Toei version.... i agree with the spoilered comments.... this is the way I thought Kanon should be when it came to this important scene.

taht being said.... I WANT MAI!!!!!!!!! ... looks like we might get a bit more of her fun next time.
Old 2006-12-08, 02:59   Link #14
KenOhki'sRage
Primula hates you

Owari da yo. I tried very hard, so I didn't cry. I'll say no more till everyone's seen it.
Old 2006-12-08, 04:38   Link #15
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Akiko saying itterasshai and then wiping away tears was the moment for me. What a wonderful episode of anime.

I have sometimes felt before that KyoAni doesn't wring as much emotion from scenes, here or in AIR, as they might. But I see them going for that bittersweet feeling rather than a sob-fest, and also looking at the emotional arc of the whole story. There was an underlying positive feeling there, in the end. And Sugita Tomokazu is just great.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2006-12-08, 05:02   Link #16
Thelastguardian

I will keep my thoughts brief

I thought KyoAni would whor- I mean concentrate on the game cg where Makoto holds onto her silk mask against the sunset backdrop.

I guess Toei's version is more emotionally impactful because they gave that scene more than the 1 second shot in KyoAni's version . As someone said, Toei's version may not had the best strategy.

I don't have much thoughts throughout this episode except...Yuuichi, I noticed you said many stuff like "we will always be together" and "I like you the most" and "let's get marry" .

Don't you have 4 more girls to attack? You can't just use up all the reserve lines for the 1st girl can you?

/I kid I kid

Anyway, the next episode is going to advance both Ayu and Mai combine. You can see this from episode 11's title - intermezzo

An intermezzo is somewhat like the interlude between movements.
Old 2006-12-08, 05:24   Link #17
houkoholic
seiyuu maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelastguardian View Post
I don't have much thoughts throughout this episode except...Yuuichi, I noticed you said many stuff like "we will always be together" and "I like you the most" and "let's get marry" .
yuuichi only said "I really liked you". So he is "safe".

The marry part, definitely not romantic on Yuuichi's part. He's just doing it to fulfill Makoto's wish.
Old 2006-12-08, 06:16   Link #18
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I can't help but to think of the last episodes of AIR regarding Makoto's arc. Looking back to it, I think that the sheer intensity of the last parts as well as the emotional intensity coming from Haruko-san ebb at the heart without mercy... unlike Kanon, where there seems to be some relief in how the characters retain strength, AIR sees Haruko breaking down in front of you which might just be why is it that I felt horrible sitting through the last arc.

Well, the moment that Yuiichi aludes to family, I just can't help it but think back to that...

Spoiler for off-tangent musing on Haruko-san:

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2006-12-08 at 06:54.
Old 2006-12-08, 07:29   Link #19
Mentar
Banned

I know now why TWH-Sprocket were so quick with their release today. They surely wanted to get it over with...

Working on this ep is killing me ;_;
Old 2006-12-08, 08:03   Link #20
TougeSil80
I have enough, I'm gone.

Great ep. It's an very sad end for Makoto, but at least Yuuichi did his best to fullfill her wish. I didn't watch the 2002 version, but I think Kyoani handled this very well.
Closed Thread