Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-01-15, 14:06   Link #1
Gojira
King of Kaiju

Petition to ban Eva?!?!?!?!

Greetings, folk of AnimeSuki!

I was out surfing the web and came across this online petition to ban Neon Genesis Evangelion!!!!

http://www.petitiononline.com/BanNGE/petition.html

WTF are these people thinking?!?!?!?!?

I don't know, it looks like some freak on a personal crusade...

Last edited by Gojira; 2004-01-15 at 14:40.
Old 2004-01-15, 14:09   Link #2
method

Good grief. People please stay away from petitiononline.com. It will do us some good from reading everyone's ranting on what ever subject someone wants banned. The likelyhood of this petition is about the same as pigs flying.
Old 2004-01-15, 14:12   Link #3
Kyoji
I WANT MORE MILK!

flippin heck
i really hope that petition isn't real.
@____________________________@
some people are crazy!!!
Old 2004-01-15, 14:21   Link #4
Koenig
looking for a bento box

It's a fake (and a rather poor one). Just like the "Save America - Ban anime now" petition is a fake.

However, some people really think like that about Eva.
Old 2004-01-15, 14:41   Link #5
Seiryuu

Yes, many people, especially Christians like me, do think of Eva as somewhat offensive. Everyone here must admit, it does take a lot of creative licensing on the Bible. If it weren't for the fact that I don't watch anime that by design is meant to leave you with mental problems, I'd be willing to watch the series and create a list of biblical "allusions". Yes, I found Eva to be offensive, not to mention sick and disturbing. But I would never go so far as trying to ban it. First off, I know how some otakus feel and I know just how long a snowball can last in Hell. But more importantly, only a madman would take that story seriously. Especially considering the finale, with the hero trying to kill the heroine next to an ocean of God's blood. I think I'll keep my focus on getting rid of Marilyn Manson.
Old 2004-01-15, 15:17   Link #6
Kamui4356
Aria Company

It's another obvious joke. The shinji, rei, asuka bigamy thing gives it away. Either that or the person who created the petition has no idea what the word means... either way I found it amusing.
Old 2004-01-15, 15:22   Link #7
Loki_Sama
I do as I please... ¬_¬

Send a message via MSN to Loki_Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu
Yes, many people, especially Christians like me, do think of Eva as somewhat offensive. Everyone here must admit, it does take a lot of creative licensing on the Bible. If it weren't for the fact that I don't watch anime that by design is meant to leave you with mental problems, I'd be willing to watch the series and create a list of biblical "allusions". Yes, I found Eva to be offensive, not to mention sick and disturbing. But I would never go so far as trying to ban it. First off, I know how some otakus feel and I know just how long a snowball can last in Hell. But more importantly, only a madman would take that story seriously. Especially considering the finale, with the hero trying to kill the heroine next to an ocean of God's blood. I think I'll keep my focus on getting rid of Marilyn Manson.

Thab seriously stay away from Chrno Crusade....
Marlin Manson has tight songs too bro...
Old 2004-01-15, 16:10   Link #8
Shii
Afflicted by the vanities
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiryuu
Yes, many people, especially Christians like me, do think of Eva as somewhat offensive. Everyone here must admit, it does take a lot of creative licensing on the Bible.
So do, I believe, most Christians... if you would make a poll,

Which makes a bigger mockery of Christianity?
1) An angsty TV show that makes allegories to Biblical myths, and uses crosses a lot.
2) The First and People's Crusades.

Everyone who knows a bit about medieval history would answer the second one. Just like if you asked the Romans,

Quod peiorius deorum deridet?
I) Ludus qui permittit te esse deus. (Age of Mythology)
II) Senatus.

they would pick II.

Last edited by Shii; 2004-01-15 at 16:23.
Old 2004-01-15, 16:21   Link #9
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
shinji/asuka/rei/ bigamy...wow Ive honestly never heard that one

Seiryuu- please dont get rid of marilyn manson;_; Im in love with his eyeshadow
Old 2004-01-15, 16:36   Link #10
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

I'm a Christian, but I watch shows like Evangelion and Chrno Crusade because I find them interesting/entertaining nevertheless. Such references and allusions to me are not a serious stab at Christianity; they are simply some slightly sensationalist writer's attempt to spice things up- and they occasionally make some valid points. Much more serious is the individual who hates Christianity and everything it stands for because he has misconstrued the message or, worse, because he has rightly perceived the often terrible actions of those claiming to be Christians. I'm ranting, but I think Christians can just take such animes with a grain of salt. In fact, in seeing differences between my faith and the portrayal of Christian themes in anime, I come to understand my own faith better. Anybody else have an opinion on this?
Old 2004-01-15, 16:45   Link #11
Vulkar
Lost in Time and Space

Send a message via AIM to Vulkar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashibaka
So do, I believe, most Christians... if you would make a poll,

Which makes a bigger mockery of Christianity?
1) An angsty TV show that makes allegories to Biblical myths, and uses crosses a lot.
2) The First and People's Crusades.
Yeah, those Crusades were a pretty bad mockery of Christianity. Especially the forth where they sacked Constantinople...hehe. Much worse than Eva. Plus, Eva never resulted in the wrongful death of anyone. Well, except for that mother whose son killed her with a baseball bat, but he was clearly loony. We won't need to prepare to battle angels yet. We've got until 2050...

I'd also like to present the Matrix as a mockery of Christianity too! Keanu Reeves is not my Christ!
Old 2004-01-15, 16:48   Link #12
Tzurial
in silent opposition

Send a message via AIM to Tzurial Send a message via MSN to Tzurial
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulkar
Keanu Reeves is not my Christ!
you speak blasphemy!!
Old 2004-01-15, 17:28   Link #13
JediNight
キズランダム

Kamui: I love your Osaka ninja picture rofl. I could just see that happening too...
Old 2004-01-15, 17:45   Link #14
Gaara11
~ Got Love? ~

I'm glad there are only 5 stupid people who signed that petition. As stupid as the petition is I wonder about the people who takes this shit seriously.
Old 2004-01-15, 18:37   Link #15
pezzed3

Send a message via AIM to pezzed3
Anyone notice that the name of the "organization" spells out CRAP? That should give any doubters an idea of how real it is.
Old 2004-01-15, 18:46   Link #16
Joe Dalton

the crusades a mockery ?
Christianity is a belief that anyone that believes in something different means they go to hell.
So if you convert someone even in killing them you will be doing them a huge favor.
Ofcourse the crusades also looted everything form the none believers.
But it really doesnt make a mockery of it.
Old 2004-01-15, 20:01   Link #17
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

im a christian, my dad's a pastor, so im pretty religious... i didnt really find eva too offensive. I didnt like how they labled Angels as evil monsters destroying ppl... then again i thought "Lucifer/Satan is a fallen angel after all"

Chrno Crusades and other animes like it are not offensive too much. I mean.... wat is the precentage of christians in Japan? LIkely less than 1%

The midieval christians and actually a lot of christians all the way up to the 18~19th century are not a good example of wat modern christians are today. The pope wanted money and more money... they said the bible justified slavery and imperialsm.. salem witch trials. The list goes on...
Old 2004-01-15, 20:11   Link #18
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzurial
shinji/asuka/rei/ bigamy...wow Ive honestly never heard that one
Damn, I knew I should've gotten the DVD version with extra's
Old 2004-01-15, 21:33   Link #19
Don Eunuch
Lin Er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoro
i thought "Lucifer/Satan is a fallen angel after all"

Chrno Crusades and other animes like it are not offensive too much. I mean.... wat is the precentage of christians in Japan? LIkely less than 1%

The midieval christians and actually a lot of christians all the way up to the 18~19th century are not a good example of wat modern christians are today.
The Bible didn't state that Satan was a fallen angel, it is a possibility though. You are correct about the % of Christians in Japan, I'm suprised actually when I check it out, I expected a higher number. A religion should be judged on how it started and its original doctrines, thus the reform/protestant movement and not judged on how Christians behave nowadays or during the middle ages.

Agree? Disagree?
Old 2004-01-15, 21:58   Link #20
Mr. Bushido
Zoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Eunuch
The Bible didn't state that Satan was a fallen angel, it is a possibility though. You are correct about the % of Christians in Japan, I'm suprised actually when I check it out, I expected a higher number. A religion should be judged on how it started and its original doctrines, thus the reform/protestant movement and not judged on how Christians behave nowadays or during the middle ages.

Agree? Disagree?
the bible does state satan as a fallen angel. my dad majors in theology right now.... and has worked 2 yrs as a youth pastor. I believe in the Book of Isiaha there is a chapter about the fall of Satan.

Christianity started with Jesus. Whether u are a christian or not, u cant argue with the history. There was a guy named Jesus who taught everything the bible said he taught. You dont have to believe in the miracles, but he taught those things. The man was crucified by the Roman soldiers when the Jews gave him as a "blasphemist" and i believe also they accused him of treason to the Ceasar. He was crucified. Up to that is wat history says. 3 days he rose and the miracles he did before .... etc etc are wat we christians believe. Its original doctrines would be in the bible. Book of Matthew to the Book of Revelations.

Christianity also started with the Jews, not the Europeans.
Closed Thread