AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2018-10-07, 09:10   Link #101
bakato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
How are they even rookie adventurers? I mean at least the mage and the cleric went to school to learn their class so why did they know nothing? Their formation was wrong, it should have been fighter, cleric, mage, monk and everyone should have had a torch and a way to light it. Also why did the mage take magic missile instead of sleep,which would have turned any two of those swarming scenes into massacres in the other direction, or if she had to take a damaging spell at least take burning hands since they knew they were heading into a swarming situation. And if the goblins had a sure kill poison why just use it on a couple of dagger instead of their ranged weapons? For that matter if goblins use poison that much why didn't the idiots know about it from hearsay?
The mage went to magic school where she learned MAGIC. Cleric came from a temple where she learned MAGIC. We know very little about magic in this series, but I think it's safe to assume it isn't all-powerful. I didn't see any goblins with bows and archery seems a notch more difficult than stabbity stab. It doesn't seem as fun either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It doesn't take more than one episode to avoid this pitfall. All the writer had to do was to replace the Priests message at the end about it being a cruel world with one that questioned the bizarre guild system that allowed this to happen. Heck that may have even killed two birds with one stone.
The pitfalls in question were the result of applying your modern day knowledge to this medieval setting.
Old 2018-10-07, 09:11   Link #102
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
How are they even rookie adventurers? I mean at least the mage and the cleric went to school to learn their class so why did they know nothing?
Learning how to be a mage and a cleric does not equal learning how to be an adventurer.

Quote:
Also why did the mage take magic missile instead of sleep,which would have turned any two of those swarming scenes into massacres in the other direction, or if she had to take a damaging spell at least take burning hands since they knew they were heading into a swarming situation.
What makes you think she knew any of those spells?

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 09:13   Link #103
human6861

Quote:
How are they even rookie adventurers? I mean at least the mage and the cleric went to school to learn their class so why did they know nothing? Their formation was wrong, it should have been fighter, cleric, mage, monk and everyone should have had a torch and a way to light it. Also why did the mage take magic missile instead of sleep,which would have turned any two of those swarming scenes into massacres in the other direction, or if she had to take a damaging spell at least take burning hands since they knew they were heading into a swarming situation. And if the goblins had a sure kill poison why just use it on a couple of dagger instead of their ranged weapons? For that matter if goblins use poison that much why didn't the idiots know about it from hearsay?
Plot holes for hehehe ... well , this one was popular for that .
human6861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 09:17   Link #104
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Let's try to stay away from hints and spoilers while waiting for episode 2 to hopefully explain a few things...
CrowKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 09:22   Link #105
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
People who are walking into Goblin Slayer expecting "humanization" of goblins through World of Warcraft-style of Hordewank are in the wrong show...
I was thinking more along the lines of 'Starship Troopers' - to defeat the goblin, you must know the goblin... and, as we see, there're entirely too many neophyte adventurers who skip that step to their ultimate grief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orpheus2 View Post
I have a question regarding weapons. According to Goblin Slayer, swords lose sharpness after cutting many goblins. Won't it be better to bring a hand axe, club, or mace for long term use?
As Ultragunner points out, a sword has some measure of versatility. That said, there might in fact be a bludgeon of some sort somewhere in his kit we haven't seen yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Underground creatures also often have "light sensitivity" which causes them to become dazed when exposed to strong light sources. Goblins aren't light sensitive in D&D, but the way Goblin Slayer made use of the Light spell in this episode seems to suggests they are in this story, at least temporarily.
Which is the other reason I imagine clever goblins would try and turn the lights out first. In future episodes we might even see first-wave goblins wearing analogues of Mole Man's 'shades' so as to attenuate the effects of the torchlight and give them more time to, well, put out the lights. Note that savvier adventures can turn this around on the goblins, as our protagonist does, with creative use of a light spell or flashbang-analogues (see also: The Big Hit; the movie treatment of 'Patriot Games').

Quote:
Now this is something that totally deviates from the D&D lore, and essentially make them parasitic creatures...
This might, again, be delved into further in later episodes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Exactly. They might lose fewer people if the guild provided some standardized training, and maybe an armor stipend. (But that costs money, and they've apparently decided it's better to just let Darwin provide the training.)
Which brings one to wonder whether or not leaving the training to Darwin might be costing more in the long run than following your advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
If anything, The system is at fault for not evaluating the threat level of goblins correctly. A horde of goblins in their nest is way more dangerous and a few couple of them on an open field.
Exactly; this ties in with my remarks above about folks not doing their research... and that in turn raises the question: aren't there reconnaissance quests? If there're reports of a goblin nest in XYZ area, one would expect the guild to have someone scope it out so they can properly evaluate what rank the clear quest should have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
Exactly and what incentive would experienced adventurers have to baby noobs? Adventuring is a life-and-death ordealand after all that you'd just help raise competitors.
I would think a properly seasoned adventurer will think of the rookies less as future competition than future teammates. When you, as such an adventurer, see a job which requires a team, wouldn't you want to be fairly sure that the party you form (or join) is competent...?
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 09:22   Link #106
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
The pitfalls in question were the result of applying your modern day knowledge to this medieval setting.
You think adventurers guilds and quest-based systems existed in medieval times?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 09:36   Link #107
Sixth
Hu Tao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
I would think a properly seasoned adventurer will think of the rookies less as future competition than future teammates. When you, as such an adventurer, see a job which requires a team, wouldn't you want to be fairly sure that the party you form (or join) is competent...?
You are too nice.

I don't babysit or carry rookies(noob) in the PvP, MMORPG or PvE games. When it comes to clearing the high-level content or fighting for the PvP ranking, I just go around to find strong players to party up. The thought of finding or raising a noob never come across my mind.

So yeah, if I am in GSverse, I definitely don't give a damn to the rookies or noob unless there is a high reward for doing it so or the rookies are my friends or siblings...
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 09:37   Link #108
Endscape
The Mage of Four Hearts
*Author

Quote:
Which brings one to wonder whether or not leaving the training to Darwin might be costing more in the long run than following your advice...
As the episode illustrates, there's no shortage of people wanting to be adventurers.

Training people costs money now, and there's no guarantee of a return on investment in the long term, since adventuring is an unstable profession.

Quote:
Exactly; this ties in with my remarks above about folks not doing their research... and that in turn raises the question: aren't there reconnaissance quests? If there're reports of a goblin nest in XYZ area, one would expect the guild to have someone scope it out so they can properly evaluate what rank the clear quest should have?
This is a quest given by frontier villagers, and deemed suitable for absolute rookies, which means that the reward is probably not so high.

Why would the Guild send out a reconnaissance quest, which would probably cost more money than the reward for the original quest?

Quote:
That's something at least a few years into the future. How many people will be willing to put up with the trouble now to get good party members then, when they could do nothing.

Illusion, illusion, this is illusion. It cannot harm me.

Last edited by Endscape; 2018-10-07 at 12:01.
Endscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 10:00   Link #109
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
How are they even rookie adventurers? I mean at least the mage and the cleric went to school to learn their class so why did they know nothing?
Take 15 years old kids out from their little village or from schools in the safe cities, and toss them on a battlefield. The little experience they had wasn't real battle experience, and apparently there isn't an adventurers middle school in that world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endscape View Post
Quote:
Also why did the mage take magic missile instead of sleep,which would have turned any two of those swarming scenes into massacres in the other direction, or if she had to take a damaging spell at least take burning hands since they knew they were heading into a swarming situation.
What makes you think she knew any of those spells?
If the setting is closely based on D&D, mages should prepare their spells beforehand, so if the mage had prepared only magic missiles she would be able to cast only those.

Possibly the mage was expecting to stay all the time in the rear, without having to worry about direct combat, while the warrior and monk should have kept the goblins busy. They didn't anticipate at all being ambushed from behind.
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 10:06   Link #110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeando View Post
Take 15 years old kids out from their little village or from schools in the safe cities, and toss them on a battlefield. The little experience they had wasn't real battle experience, and apparently there isn't an adventurers middle school in that world.

If the setting is closely based on D&D, mages should prepare their spells beforehand, so if the mage had prepared only magic missiles she would be able to cast only those.
It's not D&D, in that you don't have to prepare spells in advance. The priestess cast one Heal and two Holy Light, but it could have been three Heal, or two Heal and one Light, or whatever permutation of three spells.

One thing I don't know: how much control they have over which spells they're able to cast.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 10:15   Link #111
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Watched episode 1:

Episode could be titled "guess how long before noobs die in a gobbo cave?". Really lucky GS happened to be there. Espescially this priest girl... you don't show mercy to evil hentai monsters, thinking there might be someone good among them.

Good first ep. Looking forward to next week.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 10:27   Link #112
zeando
maybenotimome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
It's not D&D, in that you don't have to prepare spells in advance. The priestess cast one Heal and two Holy Light, but it could have been three Heal, or two Heal and one Light, or whatever permutation of three spells.

One thing I don't know: how much control they have over which spells they're able to cast.
In D&D3 clerics can sacrifice previously prepared spells to cast an unprepared healing spell.
Quote:
Spontaneous casting
Clerics differ from other spellcasters in that they can use an unprepared healing spell (or harming spell, for evil aligned clerics) in lieu of another spell of the same level. For example, a Chaotic Good cleric can transform Protection from Evil, a first level protective spell, into Cure Light Wounds, a first level healing one.
But yeah, how much this story relies on the mechanics and lore of D&D is beside the point.

Last edited by zeando; 2018-10-07 at 10:43.
zeando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 10:40   Link #113
francescoG1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post

If anything, The system is at fault for not evaluating the threat level of goblins correctly.
This is problematic because information given from averange quest giver isn't detailed. Guild don't know the real quest difficulty.
francescoG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 10:46   Link #114
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Seems to me they can evaluate quest difficulty just fine if a receptionist can know better.
Old 2018-10-07, 11:01   Link #115
francescoG1

Quote:
Seems to me they can evaluate quest difficulty just fine if a receptionist can know better.
Yes with a crystal ball. Goblins attack mainly poor villages. No money no "strong" adventurers(with only one exception), simple

Last edited by francescoG1; 2018-10-07 at 11:15.
francescoG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-10-07, 11:14   Link #116
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

So receptionists have crystal balls. Got it.
Old 2018-10-07, 11:31   Link #117
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:

You do have a point. If GS is the main DPSer/leader for his group, then he has to train his talented support staff on the way he does business so that they support him as a team and not fall into their old habit of doing things. Female MC was a capable fighter, but she was a newbie. GS just has to fine-tune her to his way of fighting. Fine-tuning a capable newbie is prob less of a headache than trying to convince a pro to do things differently.

I do agree that a guild system of teaching the newbies like in Grimgar would be best, but I don't think it's present in this title.
Old 2018-10-07, 11:32   Link #118
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
They can ballpark it based off prior experience.

Keep in mind dealing with Goblins could be as simple as offing 3-4 Goblins wandering near a village. The rookie adventuring party actually killed a fair number of goblins, they were just badly outnumbered in a cramped environment.

Goblins really are super weak, but this being a low-powered fantasy setting, really weak is still enough to kill a careless person.

The Sword-wielding kid even mentioned having driven off Goblins in his hometown before, even with his panicked flailing he still killed a fair number of them.

The problem with Goblins vs other "starter" adventurer monsters is that they actually posses intelligence, even if limited.

A Giant Rat is probably physically stronger then the average goblin, but the average goblin knows how to shank someone who isn't on guard, or overwhelm a person with numbers.

To top it all off, on a good day, this newbie adventuring party could have probably cleared that den. It was a combination of arrogance and inexperience that did them in, but a solid number of adventurers survive and rapidly move up the lowest-rank, and probably never deal with something as "weak" as Goblins ever again.
Old 2018-10-07, 11:35   Link #119
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
They can ballpark it based off prior experience.
Problem solved.
Old 2018-10-07, 11:52   Link #120
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

oh merciful Mother Earth... oh merciful Mother Earth

thank you for this wonderful episode 1 adaptation
as manga reader, this part is the most important
it is the darkest, most disgusting, but also the coolest goblin hunt ever
It explained the nature of this series pretty well.. the situation about rookie adventurer, their mistake, and how to kill all goblins mercilessly...
If they failed to adapt this part, the anime could be considered as failure
They took their time slowly to explain stuffs while emphasizing the despair... but also maintaining the rating and censorship

Goblin Slayer's VA nailed it.. not much talk.. but with deep voice, while heartlessly massacred all goblins... wonderful
and Priestess is also great.. her despair but followed fast with her strong kind heart

I hope we could see the opening song next week...
10/10 for first episode
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disturbing content, fantasy, tragedy