AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2014-05-30, 00:48   Link #1
Nerroth
NePoi!

Stargate Origins (series reboot)

It looks like a Stargate reboot is in the works, which will seemingly skip over the SG-1/Atlantis/Universe storyline to go a different route.

I'm not sure how I feel about that, but I'll try to reserve judgement for the time being.
Old 2014-05-30, 02:01   Link #2
monster

I enjoyed both the original movie and the 3 spinoff series (4, if counting the animated series), so I'm fine with whatever direction they want to take.

I believe Ra was supposed to be the last of his kind in the original movie, so if this reboot is still a sequel to the original movie, and if they're addressing the aftermath for Ra's kingdom, the SG-1 route isn't necessary.

Speaking of which, I also enjoyed the sequel novels of the original movie, although I'm guessing they're not going for an adaptation here. Still, maybe they'd go along similar route.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-30, 02:25   Link #3
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I'll just answer that idea with this:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-05-30, 04:11   Link #4
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

On the one hand, new Stargate!! On the other hand... Er... New Stargate... I am of mixed feelings. So it's going to be a different cannon to the series, that's good and bad I guess. As much as I loved the series, how they ended up on parasitic snakes, when the movie painted Ra's possession as more of a "spiritual" one always confused me (he seemed more like an Ascended Being to me, al la Anubis). Anyway, they could draw some elements from the series, but still go off in a different tangent for an awesome movie. I kind of hope it isn't just "oh noes Earth is being invaded" type story though.

Ill miss the original actors though...
Old 2014-05-30, 07:47   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

So far I read, this thing is still an idea basically. It’s still a looong way for this Stargate Reboot to happen since the Emmerich-Devlin duo want to do this after ID4 sequel(s). And the aforementioned sequel is still struggling with the script at this moment. I'm not gonna hold my breath for ID4 sequel, let alone this reboot.
Old 2017-07-21, 00:06   Link #6
Chosen_Hero

Stargate Origins Teaser Trailer http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/07/21...comic-con-2017

Apparently now Daniel wasn't the first person to unlock the Stargate, it was (please contain your excitement) the daughter of the archaeologist that found it, I think?... Why am I not surprised?
Old 2017-07-21, 01:08   Link #7
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

More details on the web series:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateworld
SAN DIEGO (July 20, 2017) — In honor of the 20th anniversary of Stargate SG-1, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) unveiled plans surrounding its popular Stargate franchise during a panel at Comic-Con International: San Diego. At the forefront of the announcement is Stargate Origins, MGM’s first 10-episode premium digital series, following fan-favorite character, Catherine Langford. In addition to the series, MGM announced a new dedicated digital platform and fan experience, Stargate Command, the exclusive home for the new original series.

Stargate Origins will explore a brand new chapter in Catherine Langford’s early history surrounding the extraordinary portal. Young Catherine embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness. This 10-episode mid-form event series, produced by MGM’s Digital Group and entertainment studio New Form, will be directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan (“Virtual Morality”) and written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry. Stargate Origins is slated to begin shooting this August with production and development being handled by New Form.

Stargate Command will provide new and existing fans exclusive access to a variety of Stargate assets and content from the franchise’s nearly 25-year history. At the core of the experience for subscribers will be the most comprehensive collection of Stargate content ever offered in one place, an unparalleled community experience, and behind-the-scenes look at the first new Stargate production in years – Stargate Origins. More details for Stargate Command will be available in the coming weeks and the new Stargate fan experience will launch this fall.

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-21, 01:14   Link #8
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

So is it related to the Kurt Russell movie or the TV series?
Old 2017-07-21, 01:52   Link #9
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post
Stargate Origins Teaser Trailer http://www.ign.com/videos/2017/07/21...comic-con-2017

Apparently now Daniel wasn't the first person to unlock the Stargate, it was (please contain your excitement) the daughter of the archaeologist that found it, I think?... Why am I not surprised?
Incoming articles from smug hipster assholes who never watched the series and yet pretend they did
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-02, 18:36   Link #10
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

People are getting this mixed up.

First off: The Roland Emmerich reboot movies were all CANCELLED! This Stargate Origins is something completely different - actually closer to the TV Series than the original movie because the franchise rights appearently came back to MGM. Whether it will actually invalidate the TV series canon or not is unknown - perhaps it will "dodge" the issue by using alternate timelines again which IS an established aspect of the SG-1 lore.

Heck, it's easy to claim that the timetravel from Season 8's finale "Moebius" and the "Continuum" movie created the changes that might contradict some things we learned in the original Stargate movie and the SG-1 series, while still coming to more or less the same result.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chosen_Hero View Post

That's wrong. At least according to SG-1 lore, the first one to travel through the Stargate was the boyfriend of said "daugther of the archaeologist who found the Stargate". I think it was even shown in season 1.

Interestingly enough in that episode it was quite emphasized that this mission that resulted in Ernest being isolated/stranded on a different planet for decades was very suspiciously hidden and had very few records left, so there is an option to stay loyal to the series through this somehow, though the episode admittedly did show that Catherine did not know about this first use of the Stargate, but as I said...

...there are things like the Archeologists finding a CPM that shouldn't be there in the original timeline and also Baal's and Mitchel's aforementioned little timetraveling "adventure" on the ship that brought the Stargate to the US. This disruption happens quite shortly before the true first use of the Stargate by the US and could easily be capitalized to handwave away any "retcons" as long as they don't greatly affect the main story. There are also things like memory erasal or there might be some kind of technology that restricts people from ever mentioning certain things to others. And if you think about it, Catherine's obsession with the Stargate was never truly explained.

There are so many ways to keep the canon alive while still having Catherine witness an actual opened Stargate or even going through it.

Last edited by GreyZone; 2017-08-02 at 19:13.
GreyZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-04, 14:58   Link #11
Chosen_Hero

^The problem is that they are making it sound like she was traveling through the Stargate on missions similar to SG-1 which breaks continuity. I would understand if it is activated by accident, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 2018-02-02, 09:16   Link #12
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The official Trailer is out.