Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-08-05, 00:44   Link #1
Harogenki
Victim of Zeta Reticulins

Send a message via AIM to Harogenki
lack of anime and slapstick

Now granted anime is not tom and jerry, droopy dog, etc but come on would it kill to have a little more slapstick humor in anime? I mean I dont expect pie fights and anvils but it just seems the average humorous beatings and trippings has decreased alot. And I for one would like to see more like when something stupid happens and the sweat drop (-_-') appears and they fall with a huge thud thats just freakin hilarious. And on second thought, maybe a pie fight is needed. I'd like to hear your opinions people.
Old 2004-08-05, 00:49   Link #2
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harogenki
Now granted anime is not tom and jerry, droopy dog, etc but come on would it kill to have a little more slapstick humor in anime? I mean I dont expect pie fights and anvils but it just seems the average humorous beatings and trippings has decreased alot. And I for one would like to see more like when something stupid happens and the sweat drop (-_-') appears and they fall with a huge thud thats just freakin hilarious. And on second thought, maybe a pie fight is needed. I'd like to hear your opinions people.
If you need more humorous beatings (humorous beatings?!?!) then you simply aren't watching the right anime. Try Girls Bravo for your RDA of humorous beatings. Personally I hate it and everything like it, but I seem to be in the minority.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2004-08-05, 00:51   Link #3
Harogenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
If you need more humorous beatings (humorous beatings?!?!) then you simply aren't watching the right anime. Try Girls Bravo for your RDA of humorous beatings. Personally I hate it and everything like it, but I seem to be in the minority.
This isnt going to turn out to be like usagi de cue, another japanese guys sick perverted fantasies turned comedy is it?
Old 2004-08-05, 01:00   Link #4
aahhsin

Quote:
This isnt going to turn out to be like usagi de cue, another japanese guys sick perverted fantasies turned comedy is it?
Just watch Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu.

Seems slapstick enough for me. Shouldn't this be in the Suggestion forums?
Old 2004-08-05, 01:01   Link #5
Harogenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
Just watch Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu.

Shouldn't this be in the Suggestion forums?
I dont know. But what I do know is that I've never seen an anime pie fight. For shame. However in Tenchi some girl got a cake in the face though which was pretty freaking hilarious, no it wouldnt because i was more aiming for peoples feels on slapstick with anime
Old 2004-08-05, 01:17   Link #6
Guts

Send a message via AIM to Guts Send a message via Yahoo to Guts
Theres plenty enough of slapstick in anime, if you can't find it in the anime you're already watching maybe you should tune the age lvl down and try watching something meant for a younger audience.
Old 2004-08-05, 01:18   Link #7
Harogenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guts
Theres plenty enough of slapstick in anime, if you can't find it in the anime you're already watching maybe you should tune the age lvl down and try watching something meant for a younger audience.
You mean liiiike Tokyo pig? Ha i dont know how accepted an anime show that is but when that was in the US though short lived, it was pretty freakin hilarious although meant to be aimed at 5 year olds, us kids would not appreciate the humor
Old 2004-08-05, 01:32   Link #8
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
...I seem to be in the minority.
It's not that small of a minority, and it's certainly not a quiet one either...

I don't mind broad comedy, but I have little patience for shows which can't do anything worthwhile with their characters and merely abuse them. But if the characters are likable and believable, then it's all good. I think the reason people remember Azumanga Daioh is that the characters are treated in a sympathetic way. It had a lot more to offer than just one routine after another.
Old 2004-08-05, 01:42   Link #9
Harogenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
It's not that small of a minority, and it's certainly not a quiet one either...

I don't mind broad comedy, but I have little patience for shows which can't do anything worthwhile with their characters and merely abuse them. But if the characters are likable and believable, then it's all good. I think the reason people remember Azumanga Daioh is that the characters are treated in a sympathetic way. It had a lot more to offer than just one routine after another.
All i wana see is one large scale 30 minute episode of 1 anime show where i see frying pans hitting people, pies thrown, and maybe a banana peel or two, thats all
Old 2004-08-05, 01:44   Link #10
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
All i wana see is one large scale 30 minute episode of 1 anime show where i see frying pans hitting people, pies thrown, and maybe a banana peel or two, thats all
You don't need anime for that. There are all kinds of "media artists" doing psychotic Flash videos, just watch them all in a row...
Old 2004-08-05, 01:54   Link #11
Harogenki

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
You don't need anime for that. There are all kinds of "media artists" doing psychotic Flash videos, just watch them all in a row...
none anime :P
Old 2004-08-05, 05:51   Link #12
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

Get Ninin ga Shinobu den and Keroro Gunso- both feature severe physical abuse on frogs and small yellow balls [and the pair that comes with it].
Old 2004-08-05, 06:31   Link #13
dead end33

Quote:

If your looking for pure slapstick comedy I suggest you try watchin "Excele Saga" although they hide there plot if it evens exist under the incohrent babbling. But its still pretty funny just dont try to figure it out.
Old 2004-08-05, 08:35   Link #14
HoboGod
Necromancer

yea, excel saga is the best example of slapstick one can probably find in anime. japanese culture have very different common slapstick gags than in western society. they didn't have The Three Stooges and I Love Lucy to mold their modern slapstick.

EDIT: well, there were nickelodeon and silent pictures before those 2 shows that used the slapstick gags first, but television was more ground-breaking and made a bigger impact on future generations.
Closed Thread