AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-12-15, 00:57   Link #61
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Looks like it'll be moved to the Licensed section. Was expecting something like this.

English cast for Canada/US version:

Christopher Kromer as Diachi
Jason Griffith as Keita Ibuki
Laura Bailey as Kuro
Julie Ann Taylor as Akane Sano
Stephanie Sheh as Excel

Staff:

ADR Director: Michael Sinterniklaas
Producer: Toshifumi Yoshida

No news on Steiner. I wish it's Jamieson Price though. XD

A double role for Julie. She did Sayaka's voice, in Code Geass and now this.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island

Last edited by Yu Ominae; 2008-12-15 at 01:56.
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 02:03   Link #62
einhorn303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yu Ominae View Post
ADR Director: Michael Sinterniklaas
Aka Dean Venture from the Venture Bros, lol.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 02:09   Link #63
Highman
Keep Pounding and Destroy

Send a message via AIM to Highman
Kinda felt satisfied, Hell Yes! Big step indeed for Bandai Entertainment!
Old 2008-12-15, 03:39   Link #64
frubam
simp for Lyria

Send a message via AIM to frubam
Dang, they couldn't fit this in CN's lineup? It's looking mighty bare >.>
frubam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 09:03   Link #65
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

I for one applauded Bandai strategy for not only licensing the series but also broadcasting it on primetime in the US and in English Dub too!

It's just to show Bandai has a message for the fansubbers and the complaining animefans who keep saying we don't get new anime that fast and that message was:
TAKE THAT!!
Old 2008-12-15, 09:10   Link #66
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
Dang, they couldn't fit this in CN's lineup? It's looking mighty bare >.>
CN has abandoned anime for dirty adult cartoon comedies. Never talk about those traitors again.
Old 2008-12-15, 10:46   Link #67
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I for one applauded Bandai strategy for not only licensing the series but also broadcasting it on primetime in the US and in English Dub too!

It's just to show Bandai has a message for the fansubbers and the complaining animefans who keep saying we don't get new anime that fast and that message was:
TAKE THAT!!
My problem is the dub!!! Why not subtitled, dubs are for kids who can not read or the elderly who never learned to! Not to mention the non-existent acting skill of American VAs, especially compared to their Japanese peers (I should though make three exceptions for Shikabane Hime).

With subtitles the integrity of the original is also safeguarded; not ported to some foreign culture and taken out of context, in order to be mass consumed by uneducated mainstream audiences.

That aside I am certainly more confident in the quality Bandai can offer, compared to GONZO and FUNimation, who tried similar approaches. Unfortunately, the choice of dubbing over subtitles, along with the changes to the original material, strongly indicate that the intended audience is significantly different from the manga and was engineered to cope with American puritanism!
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 11:30   Link #68
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

I guess the only choice for me is the manga, and all the fanart come with the show (although I doubt there is any fanart that can be as good as the manga's cover)
Old 2008-12-15, 15:35   Link #69
FireChick

OH MY PIZZA!! This show ISN'T EVEN OUT YET AND BANDAI'S GOT IT ALREADY?!? This is beginning to get strange!
FireChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 17:50   Link #70
TheFluff
Excessively jovial fellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
I don't think my dorm gets this mysterious "iATV."
pretty much noone does, it would seem
17:43:13 <~deculture> Also, TheFluff, you are so fucking slowpoke.jpg that people think we dropped the DVD's.
17:43:16 <~deculture> nice job, fag!

01:04:41 < Plorkyeran> it was annoying to typeset so it should be annoying to read
TheFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 19:36   Link #71
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
My problem is the dub!!! Why not subtitled, dubs are for kids who can not read or the elderly who never learned to!
And the reason why every foreign show that comes to america needs to be dubbed to get any sort of real audience is... oh that's right, americans will not watch things with subtitles. Dubs are not just for kids. They are the only way to get mass market penetration in the US. (Oh, and the problems with subtitles are too many to list including that not all TVs will render them clear enough to read.)

Quote:
Not to mention the non-existent acting skill of American VAs, especially compared to their Japanese peers (I should though make three exceptions for Shikabane Hime).
One question: Do you speak Japanese fluently?

Quote:
With subtitles the integrity of the original is also safeguarded; not ported to some foreign culture and taken out of context, in order to be mass consumed by uneducated mainstream audiences.
This statement is vacuous. It is essentially the typical weaboo argument of "It's better because it's Japanese".

Quote:
Unfortunately, the choice of dubbing over subtitles, along with the changes to the original material, strongly indicate that the intended audience is significantly different from the manga and was engineered to cope with American puritanism!
What changes to the original material? They aren't going to be changing anything. (Also, with the dubbing taking place with the pencil sketches, that makes English one of the original languages for the show. i.e. The "Japanese is the original language" argument is moot in this case.)
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-15, 20:48   Link #72
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab View Post

What changes to the original material? They aren't going to be changing anything. (Also, with the dubbing taking place with the pencil sketches, that makes English one of the original languages for the show. i.e. The "Japanese is the original language" argument is moot in this case.)
Do you need to be fluently at Japanese to feel the acting? I guess not.

And the hell, from all we see there are a lot of changes compare to original material.
Old 2008-12-15, 23:50   Link #73
Westlo
Lets be reality

Dubbing aside are people saying the change to a high schooler is for american audiences? You do realize the majority of anime is aimed at high schoolers and below and features high schoolers? To think this change was intended just for Americans is rather lolworthy.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 01:39   Link #74
einhorn303

Also I'm not sure Sunrise knew the Bandai Ent. partnership would exist when they first started doing the planning, writing, etc for the series.

Well, that's all done behind closed doors, but that's what I feel from the timeline of announcements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Dubbing aside are people saying the change to a high schooler is for american audiences? You do realize the majority of anime is aimed at high schoolers and below and features high schoolers? To think this change was intended just for Americans is rather lolworthy.
I do kind of fear that Sunrise screws up the adaption, by making it too generic and cleaned up. Keita is supposed to be a fiercely independent, proactive guy and a bit of a jerk...not some wussy Japanese school boy. Not that I have anything against Sunrise...I hear their track record of adaptions is quite good. But danger of something lost always exists when you go from the manga to an anime.

Also I heard the anime will have over 20 episodes, so I'll probably get spoiled by the anime before being able to read the same part in the (Yen Press official English released) manga. orz.

Parts of the manga I'm looking forward to seeing animated (Don't look at if you don't want spoilers):
Spoiler for Black God manga:
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-16, 01:43   Link #75
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Spoiler for Black God manga:
Spoiler for Manga:
Old 2008-12-16, 15:48   Link #76
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
And the reason why every foreign show that comes to america needs to be dubbed to get any sort of real audience is... oh that's right, americans will not watch things with subtitles.
It's the same by the way in any country that has a large market to support dubbing (e.g. Germany, France, Spain, etc.)

Quote:
Dubs are not just for kids. They are the only way to get mass market penetration in the US.
Let me clarify this, if the general population has decent exposure to foreign language (e.g. Netherlands, Greece, Finland, etc.) and there is not a significant market to make dubbing a viable financial option ... THEN dubs are only for kids or elderly, IMHO as it should be!

Quote:
(Oh, and the problems with subtitles are too many to list including that not all TVs will render them clear enough to read.)
I have never heard this, but considering that where you live, the industry infrequently deals with subtitles on TV, I guess that their skill is rather poor, since the cathode-ray technology is not that different worldwide.

Quote:
Speak ... yes (JLPT3), fluently no, since my only contact with the language for the last couple of years are language courses, anime, manga and occasionally movies.

But as another poster already stated, I was referring to the acting and not the accuracy of the translation!

Quote:
This statement is vacuous. It is essentially the typical weaboo argument of "It's better because it's Japanese".
Well concerning animation, despite your oversimplification of my vacuous statement, yes, in general, Japanese is better than American! Other media are a completely different story altogether.

Quote:
Changes, where to start ... acting, context, cultural references ...

At least with subtitles, the information is not lost, though still not rendered effectively! When you dub all of these are lost and you end up some times with a completely different and original meaning.

And by the way, I did not imply that Keita became a high-schooler because of the simultaneous airing in the states, but rather that this "downgrade" along with probably more changes to tone down the original material made the deal for the simultaneous airing significantly easier!

Criticism aside, this is the show I expect most out of and considering the constant beating I took from ef, Ga-Rei and Shikabane during this season, I won't really mind a vanilla approach ;-)

Last edited by Malkuth; 2008-12-16 at 15:52. Reason: completeness
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 00:49   Link #77
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post

TAKE THAT!!
Too bad most of North America won't be seeing this legally to appreciate all that hard work. iaTV isn't exactly a popular cable channel here.
Old 2008-12-17, 01:39   Link #78
SkoolRumble4Ya

They should've of put it on adult swim even though it will air very late.
SkoolRumble4Ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-17, 01:53   Link #79
blitz1/2
Tenshi's Defense Squadron

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Too bad most of North America won't be seeing this legally to appreciate all that hard work. iaTV isn't exactly a popular cable channel here.
all too true, I know I am one of them.

hai, hai. Onii-chan has his work cut out for him.
blitz1/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-12-19, 18:30   Link #80
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

I think I have a basic disagreement with bayoab on subtitles/dubbing. I do agree that mass market penetration is hard to get in the US without a dub, but I strongly believe you don't need to speak a language to get a large part of the acting in it. According to this page, 29 actors or actresses have been nominated for acting Oscars for foreign-language performances, and six of them have won. Marion Cotillard, Benicio del Toro, and Roberto Benigni have all won in the last ten years.

My Japanese is barely passable, so that there are some shows I need subtitles for, and I can benefit from subtitles in most shows, even the ones I don't always bother with them for. But it is crystal clear to me which actors/actresses I like and which I don't. No doubt my taste is a little different from native Japanese taste, but Japanese don't agree among themselves, either.

Every so often I try out a dubbed episode, but I can never get more than a few minutes in before getting so upset I turn it off. The tone is just so different from the original. Much more childish, to me. Eureka Seven is not Peanuts, but the VAs make it sound that way to me.

I hasten to add that my preference for subs is not limited to Japanese. I always watch French, German, Italian, and Swedish films with subs, too. Everyone is perfectly welcome to have their own preferences, but I think dubbing really changes a film or anime, and in my experience always for the worse.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, fantasy, seinen, sunrise