AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2011-04-19, 13:37   Link #41
Tom Bombadil

Well, how often do they put this on air? Weekly?

Arya better be as awesome as in the books. She is my favorite among the Starks.
Old 2011-04-19, 13:48   Link #42
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Well, how often do they put this on air? Weekly?
Yes, it is aired weekly on Sunday.
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-20, 06:48   Link #43
TooPurePureBoy
Socially Inept

According to Mr. Martin's Blog http://grrm.livejournal.com/ this awesome show just got confirmed for a second season!!
Old 2011-04-20, 08:18   Link #44
Tom Bombadil

Just watched the first episode. It reminds me why I loved the books. Great dialogues, great characters. There is only one thing that bothers me a bit. I am not sure whether it is the directing or the actress, all the scenes with Daenery seems a bit unnatural. Although it is a tiny thing in this episode, I hope it won't get worse later on.

Edit: Love the fact that Martin selected a screencap of Arya in his blog.
Old 2011-04-20, 08:21   Link #45
jonli
JONLIの憂'

^ So according to that blog post, we could assume 1 book per season as they said? That would be nice.

I never read the books but I was about to read them after I finished the Witcher books, until I heard about the TV series and decided to watch this instead. So now I just watched the first episode, and I have to say I'm impressed with the production values and the overall quality of that one episode. It felt like a movie, and if it can keep up this quality throughout the entire season then this would definitely be a cinematic achievement in television history. I'm going to refrain myself from getting overly excited about the series, since I was impressed by the first episode of Walking Dead (being a big fan of the comic) then my expectations were utterly crushed with the rest of the season...let's hope history would not repeat itself with Game of Thrones.

PS: I really enjoyed the intro, went back and forth to try to catch all the details, very well made down to the credits. Oh and Emilia Clarke is absolutely gorgeous, the little girl that plays Arya is really cute too. It's also good to see Boromir again :P, I also have high hopes for John Snow as a character...I'm most intrigued by him so far.
jonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-21, 07:15   Link #46
Tom Bombadil

Quote:
“Summers span decades. Winters can last a lifetime. And the struggle for the Iron Throne has begun. It will stretch from the south, where heat breeds plots, lusts and intrigues; to the cast and savage eastern lands; all the way to the frozen north, where an 800-foot wall of ice protects the kingdom from the dark forces that lie beyond. Kings and queens, knights and renegades, liars, lords and honest men … all will play the ‘Game of Thrones.’”
Can't summarize and hype the series better than Martin's own words.
Old 2011-04-25, 00:47   Link #47
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

more OMG i jizzed my pants goodness. hope the little sissy boy gets what's coming to him..

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 05:05   Link #48
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Liked the first episode but they made the last scene with Daenerys seem like rape when it wasn't. Plus they compressed a lot of stuff. Tyrion's talk with Jon went on for a lot longer and gave a lot more insight into both characters.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 06:40   Link #49
Irkalla
I asked for this

I'm still not liking the pace of the show, it's too rushed and they are leaving so many essential details out that have really defined the characters for me. It's still a good adaptation, but it's really not doing justice to the characters, especially Arya who has been deprived of most of her interaction with Jon. Then he just comes to her and gives her needle...kinda frustrating.
Old 2011-04-25, 15:22   Link #50
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Blog post:

So far, I like it - but then, I haven't read the books yet.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 15:55   Link #51
james0246

I have to say, Jack Gleeson as Joffery is fantastic. His sheer arrogance, smarminess, and general douchebaggery is palpable in every scene. In other words, Gleeson is a dead on Joffery .

That being said, the acting is still top-notch (I partially agree with Irkalla that the Jon Snow/Arya scene should have been more poignant, but this is partially offset by how well done the later scenes with the underdeveloped Sansa played out (I say underdeveloped because many character details have been left out, but Sophie Turner's portrayal of Sansa is so spot on that even if the audience is not told many specific details of the girl, just her face and a few pieces of dialogue is enough to understand the eldest Stark Daughter)), with particular emphasis on Gleeson and Turner (as I already mentioned), but also Dinklage (Tyrion), Maisie Williams (Arya), and Emilia Clarke (who is a delight as Daenerys...and not only for her full frontal portrayal of the character ). Especially surprising have been Mark Addy (as King Robert), and the recently introduced Rory McCane (as the Prince's guardsmen Sandor Clegan).

That being said, the pacing is still a little off (this is especially noticeable in the scenes with Catelyn Stark), but since the wolves have started taking bigger roles (Bran's wolf killing the assassin was pretty cool ), I'm willing to ignore the pacing for now (later, when the real political maneuvering begins, I expect a little more detail and better flow, but for now, these introductory episodes are quite good). 84/100.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-25, 22:39   Link #52
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Best scene of episode 2
Spoiler for Try not to giggle:
Old 2011-04-26, 09:06   Link #53
Tom Bombadil

I actually got bored of the sex scenes in ep2. In the first episode, I was like "lol, nudity", but in episode two I just fast forward to get to the plot.

Forgetting all the details in the books actually helped me to enjoy the show.
Old 2011-04-30, 02:16   Link #54
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

I think after this HBO show finishes, I may give the books to go. This is such an intriguing story.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 05:56   Link #55
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Spoiler for Ep 3 Lord Snow:
Old 2011-05-02, 13:17   Link #56
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
I have to say, Jack Gleeson as Joffery is fantastic. His sheer arrogance, smarminess, and general douchebaggery is palpable in every scene. In other words, Gleeson is a dead on Joffery .
I don't think there's a single casting choice I don't like in this show. Everybody plays their part well from what I've read in the book. However I'd even say that there are still standouts like Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. The guy plays his character with so much confidence and makes every line that comes out of his mouth amusing in a way.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 13:51   Link #57
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

I love the midget. its sooo well done. everyone is fitting in character. Arya is so kickass. i can't wait to see her actually do something cool. haha.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 14:26   Link #58
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
I love the midget. its sooo well done. everyone is fitting in character. Arya is so kickass. i can't wait to see her actually do something cool. haha.
Spoiler for Episode 2:
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 14:40   Link #59
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I don't think there's a single casting choice I don't like in this show. Everybody plays their part well from what I've read in the book. However I'd even say that there are still standouts like Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister. The guy plays his character with so much confidence and makes every line that comes out of his mouth amusing in a way.
Too true. I love Dinklage's upper-class-crass; especially how he is able to effortlessly deride and belittle, yet provide emotional support all in one breath (see any of his conversations with Kit Harington/Jon Snow).

Standouts for this episode were Sean Bean/Ned (whom, while very good before, still felt a little too much like he was in a Syfy production (which he has been )) and Maisie Williams/Arya (their scene together was simple yet effortless and realistic). And Mark Eddy is doing a magnificent job with King Robert. Of particular interest for me was Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (as Jaime) in this most recent episode. He's always had the handsomeness down for the part, but this is the first episode were I felt he really nailed the monstrous intelligence and strength of Jaime.

That being said, despite the slow storytelling, I felt the pace was much livelier than in the past episode, and the individual scenes flowed together quite well. It's always a delight to see a film quite literally assemble its story and characters together like a tapestry, each section winding around another, merging and connecting to form a complete picture (though there was at least one major transitional hiccup in this episode). And this is only episode 3 . Can't wait to see the more serious plots only just being alluded to come to light and how our slowly building characters react to the growing situation. 86/100.

Last edited by james0246; 2011-05-02 at 15:17.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-02, 15:13   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The atmosphere and "feel" is interesting.... some great casting. I haven't seen anything more than video clips though (don't use cable). Probably wait the season out and check it out on DVD-rental if the reviews remain consistent.

Tags
game of thrones, hbo