AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 14
10 out of 10: Near Perfect... 103 45.98%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 58 25.89%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 19 8.48%
7 out of 10 : Good... 16 7.14%
6 out of 10 : Average... 10 4.46%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.45%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 5 2.23%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 1.34%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.45%
1 out of 10 : Tortuous... 8 3.57%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-10-06, 14:49   Link #61
Conan-san
Cruel Angel's Thesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
After a character dies inside SAO, it takes 10 seconds for the helmet to fry your brain.

I suppose the story asks you to believe Kirito managed to kill Kayaba (and clear the game) within 10 seconds after Asuna dies. That's why both of them survive. This doesn't come across properly in the anime of course, but yeah...
That or he honoured the "Protect Asuna" request in a bizarre roundabout way. Dood's got less marbles than Insano, he probably thinks in 5 Dimensions.
Conan-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:51   Link #62
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
I suppose the story asks you to believe Kirito managed to kill Kayaba (and clear the game) within 10 seconds after Asuna dies. That's why both of them survive. This doesn't come across properly in the anime of course, but yeah...
Hm, this anime did handle one bit wrt. to time well (Kirito asking for cover whilst he equipped his second sword), so I wonder what happened here.. I guess they would've had to cut too much dialogue to make it seem like so..

I can't help but remember the 5 minutes bit from DBZ..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 14:53   Link #63
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
After a character dies inside SAO, it takes 10 seconds for the helmet to fry your brain.

Well, I think it's perfectly possible for Kayaba to disable that whenever he wishes, since the trigger is sent from the game that he controls.

Also, I don't know if we know for sure that it fries your brain within 10 seconds, we just know that there's a 10 second limit for the in-game resurrection item. It could be that it waits a few minutes to begin the process, and I'm not sure it was revealed how long that actual process takes. Maybe I'm forgetting something...
Old 2012-10-06, 14:56   Link #64
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Also, I don't know if we know for sure that it fries your brain within 10 seconds, we just know that there's a 10 second limit for the in-game resurrection item. It could be that it waits a few minutes to begin the process, and I'm not sure it was revealed how long that actual process takes. Maybe I'm forgetting something...
I think the main reason people are assuming that it takes 10 seconds to fry a player's brain is precisely because the resurrection item can only be used up to 10 seconds after someone's HP runs out.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:00   Link #65
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aphrah View Post
I think the main reason people are assuming that it takes 10 seconds to fry a player's brain is precisely because the resurrection item can only be used up to 10 seconds after someone's HP runs out.
Well, in that case we at least know that it doesn't *start* until after 10 seconds, because it's not like it'll be 99% complete and then they undo it. The process itself probably takes some time. I would assume that there's a bigger safety margin than that. (Well, I suppose it's odd to think about safety margins in a death switch, but there you go... )

Edit: On a related front, in reviewing the episode in light of what was discussed before about "Changed into Immortal Object", in the context it makes more sense to think that he's changed Asuna to be "immortal" (because it happened right after he asked Heathcliff to ensure Asuna didn't die), which is why her "death" didn't really kill her. But she obviously wasn't treated like other immortal objects. Perhaps what we're supposed to infer from this is that though she disappeared, she didn't die, and that toggle was the reason why.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:06   Link #66
Gearhead
Metroid of Humor

Perhaps, perhaps.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:12   Link #67
Esebian

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, in that case we at least know that it doesn't *start* until after 10 seconds, because it's not like it'll be 99% complete and then they undo it. The process itself probably takes some time. I would assume that there's a bigger safety margin than that. (Well, I suppose it's odd to think about safety margins in a death switch, but there you go... )

Edit: On a related front, in reviewing the episode in light of what was discussed before about "Changed into Immortal Object", in the context it makes more sense to think that he's changed Asuna to be "immortal" (because it happened right after he asked Heathcliff to ensure Asuna didn't die), which is why her "death" didn't really kill her. But she obviously wasn't treated like other immortal objects. Perhaps what we're supposed to infer from this is that though she disappeared, she didn't die, and that toggle was the reason why.
Yeah the part with her dieing but instead sent to that plane far above Aincrad makes most sense for her "immortality", because how would he want to hinder her from simply jumping of the edge of the world, or should she fly in the sky then until the game is cleared?

EDIT: Btw ofc a really nice episode and I'm glad they took into account that Kirito laid down for 2 years in terms of muscle mass and so on
Esebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:17   Link #68
shinigami99

Holy shit that was an intense ep...can't wait to see what happens next Is there going to be a new game? Maybe they'll just focus on their lives outside the game? Either way, I don't mind and it's all very exciting!
shinigami99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:17   Link #69
FlavoryFantasy
♪~Deculture~♪ (✿◠‿◠)

Maybe they should have cut out the opening for this closing arc ep. and extra 90 or so seconds would of helped a bit.
Would have liked to see the other player's reactions on hearing the game was cleared from a magical voice in the sky...

Especially if a pker was in the middle of hunting / killing another player.

Aside from that awkward stab scene, I do like how they handled Kirito (oh wait now it's okay to call him Kazuto isn't it...) waking up. Looks terrible like he should.
Hopefully Asuna doesn't stay pretty due to being a girl.
FlavoryFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:19   Link #70
ZODDGUTS

Duckroll sum this ep perfectly:

Episode 14

Quote:
Wow. That was so dumb it made me dumber too. My IQ is probably about 2 now. Kirito really is the ultimate Gary Stu. It's not good enough that he's already a nice guy, who gets all the girls, is probably the best solo player in the game, and is always at the right place at the right time. Nope. The game also has to come out and acknowledge that he is the player with the fastest reaction time. He also manages to figure out who the REAL villain is, just because. But that's not all! The villain also acknowledges that he is the most worthy opponent, and gives him a chance to beat the game immediately. Even though all the odds are stacked against him, he still manages to win, just because well.... the SYSTEM DECIDED TO LET HIM.

My God. I can just imagine the author writing this shit with his pants down, while jerking off at every line as he imagines himself as Kirito the ultimate super badass. Yeah, basically this is the ultimate representation of Young Adult fiction. Can it get any worse? Tune in next week to find out! Lol.
ZODDGUTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:20   Link #71
Xaturas

11/10

Now I just hope next stories will be as good. Though the instant ending was kinda rushed (but that whats happens when novel ends in 1 volume)
Old 2012-10-06, 15:21   Link #72
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post

-snip-
Oh, my. I know it's cool to hate on popular stuff.. but this.. it's simply hilarious.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:25   Link #73
shinigami99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZODDGUTS View Post

Episode 14
Lol haha that guy's really butthurt, yet he's still watching the show. He must be really bored.
shinigami99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:26   Link #74
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

Aren't Asuna and Kirito supposed to be....y'know....dead? How the hell did they survive? And how the heck did Kirito linger for a moment after his HP hit 0?

I didn't even get Kayaba's motive for making SAO into a death game either it was so incredibly cryptic.

And if this show is supposed to be 2-cour, now that SAO's data has been destroyed, where the heck is it going to go from here?

I'm not incredibly pleased with how things turned out. Heathcliff turning out to be Kayaba was okay since that was foreshadowed, so it didn't really come out of nowhere, but the amount of unexplained anomalies they're asking us to accept here is a bit too extreme.

Also it's funny how the character's feelings towards this being a game this episode just completely ignores all their earlier sentiments about slowing down and treating it as reality. Cripes, I'm starting to agree that the guy who wrote this story can't write characters very well.

But hey, the very first scene set in reality since the start of episode 1. That's pretty cool I guess.

Really don't know what to expect with this show anymore, especially considering SAO is now gone.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:30   Link #75
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

I'm not pissed that Kirito was pretty doing absolutely everything because let's face it, this was how it was always going to be. I can't say i mind anyway: Kirito has enough emotional depth in him as a character to make me overlook all that.

I'm not really sure what to make of this episode. On the one hand i thought this episode really has some amazing moments, but on the other hand I can't help but feel everything was happening waaay too soon. I know that's intentional but it sort feels a little haphazard too me.

And why the hell is that hospital so deserted?
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:30   Link #76
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

I hope they give a few more episodes to show the aftermath of this whole incident. The lives and minds of all those who lived through the game must be changed dramatically.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:30   Link #77
Mephos

And I leave Aincrad with a sense of many feelings. Sadness, happiness, then contentment.
Mephos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:31   Link #78
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSyko View Post
Aren't Asuna and Kirito supposed to be....y'know....dead? How the hell did they survive? And how the heck did Kirito linger for a moment after his HP hit 0?
The characters always linger for a little bit before they die (even Asuna did here). I would say it was only dragged out slightly for dramatic effect here. And they both survived because they beat the game; upon beating the game, the "real-life death" condition ended (and everyone else logged-out).

Quote:
...the amount of unexplained anomalies they're asking us to accept here is a bit too extreme.
I think most of the plot threads over the course of the series were closed in this episode. Are there further unexplained anomalies?

Quote:
Also it's funny how the character's feelings towards this being a game this episode just completely ignores all their earlier sentiments about slowing down and treating it as reality. Cripes.
Could you clarify? I think the tension between this being a game and being reality was explored quite handily in the last episode, and this episode continues that theme and brings it to a conclusion. I didn't see a contradiction... but maybe I'm missing something.

Edit: As for Duckroll's post that was reposted above... most of these plot elements were clearly foreshadowed in the story. Not liking the fact that the hero is the hero and has hero story privileges is sort of notwithstanding -- but it's not like he doesn't have his flaws. I think the complaint is overblown.
Old 2012-10-06, 15:32   Link #79
tomtkp

Really for me, this episode is by far the best among the 14 episodes.

Maybe just because this is my favourite moment of the whole Aincrad arc in the novel. From Kirito vs Heathcliff duel to Kayaba explaining about his dream to Kirito and Asuna hugging together to finally Kirito holding the IV to search for Asuna. Wow, just great.

Looking forward to the next arc and new OP and ED.

EDIT: It would be much better if the anime included Kirito's inner monologue about him cursing the system for having no mercy to the players just like in the novel. I really expected that before watching this episode but oh well...

Last edited by tomtkp; 2012-10-06 at 15:42.
tomtkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-06, 15:32   Link #80
Ray
Garnet

Quote:
Like people have said (myself included), we can only assume that there's a time limit of 10 seconds, if not more, before people actually die in real life after dying in SAO. Kirito managed to land a hit on Heathcliff, which reduced his HP to 0, ending the game and freeing everybody. As for why Asuna survived, there're multiple interpretations: one being that Heathcliff protected her using Immortal status, and another being that Kirito managed to defeat Heathcliff within 10 seconds after her "death".