AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-26, 12:32   Link #5541
chupiler

3 OVAs is NOT enough I really enjoyed the first 3, and the 3rd was really informative about the world setting, but I really want an OVA closing in on the other teams (an OVA a piece would be nice, wouldn't it?), as well as a close up of the other schools. All the characters in this show are too charming to let them go to waste.
chupiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 12:36   Link #5542
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myssa Rei View Post
I think we can just agree that Sume has a vastly different interpretation on this than everyone else in this thread. Lets just leave it at that.
No...I ship the sisters too. They are just begging for it. And four-some with Erika and Yukarin
Old 2013-03-26, 12:39   Link #5543
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
No...I ship the sisters too. They are just begging for it. And four-some with Erika and Yukarin
I was thinking exactly the same thing. If they do a season two, those four should be in the same team, so we can expect some juicy triangle square!

- Tak (Please, KMM vs. St. G!!)

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 12:42   Link #5544
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmic Eagle View Post
As do I. Of course it helps that there's a douijin where Miho and Yukari get together, so it's not too much of a stretch to pair (or group?) the others.

Endless "Shipping" Soul
Old 2013-03-26, 12:42   Link #5545
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
We know OVA 4 will at least partially feature a full-length Anglerfish dance tutorial, so that really leaves TWO more OVAs.

Will Anchovy get her chance? Stay tuned!
Old 2013-03-26, 12:44   Link #5546
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

While some of the other school's fights would be interesting, they have so few character personalities in their teams, that there would be little to connect the audiance to those teams other than the two or three girls with names on those teams.

The draw would be pretty much the tanks alone. St. Glorianna vs Black Forest in the Semi-Finals would be interesting. Particularly to see just what those teams would field for a 15 vs 15 match (assuming St. Glorianna fields 15 tanks). And how Darjerring would do verses Maho after her defeating Miho before the tournament.

The one that would be easier for people to get behind would be Ooaria verse Anzio, since we know Ooarai's personalities. We don't know el Duce Anchovy at all really. She seems fairly bad from what little I can read of her lines in the manga, but I've still not read the end of that battle (the RAW was practically unreadable for me). At that was a 10 vs 6 match in the manga. An OVA might have it be a 10 vs 5 if they don't include the Char B1 into the mix with its temp crew.

The OVAs being about 16 minutes long, they might be able to do he manga battle as there was only a few phases to it, unlike the other battles that shift around a lot.
Old 2013-03-26, 12:45   Link #5547
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
You are really that interested in Anchovy huh?

I don't know... they don't have very interesting cars

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 12:50   Link #5548
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Images
Duce
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 12:51   Link #5549
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
@Myssa, Arl, VCV --

I think the neat explanation of them being so incompetent for so long is partially tainted by the questions of:
1) Where did Miho learn her tankcraft from then if KMM was so incompetent?
She probably learnt the basic tank operation from her family, but quite frankly I cannot in good conscience credit them as the primary source of her tactics, so I'll put money onto self study and adjusting them to fit Senshado's circumstances (you can't just use real world tank tactics direct in Senshado anyway unless you completely rework the training and add in a bunch of support).

Or maybe it was her grandmother, who's now dead (see below)

Quote:
2) Sports analogies aside, if they were winning purely due to technology/equipment, then people typically would root against them and not for them right? All the sports analogies were cause of talent not lead-filled cricket bats!
Ah, here comes a not-so-subtlety that I'm not sure if you had caught on, but modern Senshado isn't that popular even as a spectator sport. Do you notice that more often than not, the benches are half empty, even the national finals?

If we had something similar on our world, I bet we'll have a much higher fill of spectators. With no offense to base/foot/basket/vollery/otherball lovers, this is surely much more interesting than watching people chase balls or run track.

How much do you want to bet KMM (and to a lesser extent, the other big schools which could just curbstomp a lot of the weaker teams with equipment superiority) is boring them away? Perhaps that's why what audience is there is shown to love Oarai - they are not only the underdogs (but then, there are lots of underdog teams in Senshado), they are actually bringing something different to the fight for the first time in many years.

Quote:
3) Even if the average person would be wowed by victories, you'd think someone like Yukari would understand and appreciate tactics .. and even then she was all Nishizumi-dono
Ithekro's answer seems close. Yukari is always full of military trivia and she can even work the coincidence rangefinder, but you don't see her recommending a lot of tactics, do you? She probably drools at KMM simply because they have Tigers...

At some past point in time, KMM may have been more interesting (or at least they could shoot straighter, which would even alone have done much to save them), but looking at Shiho I just don't see it as in her era - maybe her predecessor was a true tank genius, but Shiho wasn't. Her predecessor died, Shiho wasn't good enough to carry the ball so the quality of instruction and alumni decrease. They lose some fights. Shiho gets lots of pressure but since she can't improve she buys lots of equipment. So now they win, except they now win too easily and tactics atrophy even further. One year ago they fall off to the point Pravda wins. Shiho reacts not by improving training, but by buying yet more equipment. We have this year. They not only lose but are embarassments as seen onscreen.

Season 2 Speculation
Frankly, rather than them sending two teams to the internationals, it is possible the school board, having agreed to not close down Oarai, aims its guns at KMM. I mean, it has a good Senshado record on statistics, but it should. It has an Armor Department, darn it! And with two defeats they will get a much closer look and it will become clear Armor Department clearly are not producing the goods and is probably darn expensive - thus it'll be a primary target. The surviving tanks are handed over to Oarai along with some of the students. They go to the Internationals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The one that would be easier for people to get behind would be Ooaria verse Anzio, since we know Ooarai's personalities. We don't know el Duce Anchovy at all really. She seems fairly bad from what little I can read of her lines in the manga, but I've still not read the end of that battle (the RAW was practically unreadable for me). At that was a 10 vs 6 match in the manga. An OVA might have it be a 10 vs 5 if they don't include the Char B1 into the mix with its temp crew.

The OVAs being about 16 minutes long, they might be able to do he manga battle as there was only a few phases to it, unlike the other battles that shift around a lot.
I'll prefer it if they wrote a new battle that actually synced with Ep7's end scene. Let's just have one battle that doesn't involve Oarai's poor tanks being blasted by 76-128mm guns until they turn turtle. Or with armor so hard that they can hit them from the back and it still doesn't go in.

It'll be interesting to see what they do when they aren't forced to fight under a ridiculous inferiority.

Last edited by arkhangelsk; 2013-03-26 at 13:09.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 12:55   Link #5550
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Ah, here comes a not-so-subtlety that I'm not sure if you had caught on, but modern Senshado isn't that popular even as a spectator sport. Do you notice that more often than not, the benches are half empty, even the national finals?
That's not really any different from what happens with most regional soccer/baseball teams, so..... not really.
Old 2013-03-26, 13:01   Link #5551
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Michael Wittmann, that "famed" Tiger commander, had even worse aiming in the Battle of Villers-Bocage. This is ignoring the fact that the gun barrel was past the Lee in the first place.
Discounting the fact that the Jagdtiger could not even hit the Lee anyway....

Where are you getting this from? There's record of his number of shots fired? His engagement range at Villers was within 30m in a road that's around twice the width. He took out at least 9 units, final count being possibly 14.

You got source for number of rounds he used?
Old 2013-03-26, 13:01   Link #5552
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Let's be frank, Anchovy was a jerk. She was basically Katyusha without the height complex, and unlike Katyusha she doesn't have the equipment to afford to be haughty. Her best tank was literally the P-40, and even then she had to more or less bait Ooarai into her killzone to make use of it.

But who can't say no to those lovely twintails?
Old 2013-03-26, 13:03   Link #5553
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Nuuuuuuuuu!!!! We don't want it to end!!!

*sigh* Oh well, can't really say much besides what's already been said. Definitely a fun and enjoyable watch.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-26, 13:03   Link #5554
Sumeragi
Banned

Old 2013-03-26, 13:05   Link #5555
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post

No concrete indications, but as I posted above, we can draw inferences. (Why yes, I did study law. Wonderful things, inference. Even silence may allow adverse inferences to be drawn against an accused...) I have, however, chosen not to do so in this case, until I was prompted above. The inferences I draw suggest to me that given their background in Nishizumi-ryu, KMM's girls are well aware that they may be sacrificed to the altar of victory, even if it means they have to die in a river somewhere.

It may be a surprise to you, but soldiers - let alone high school girls - don't like being treated like pawns or cannon fodder.
Ignoring everything else you typed since that's not the point I want to touch on...

You cannot really just guess KMM are like that seeing how little screen time they as people get...

You base that on just their doctrine, which really is a single pivot over which the bar can go in all 360 degrees of direction. Just that doctrine alone can give birth to anything as diverse as crap or brilliance
Old 2013-03-26, 13:07   Link #5556
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

The trouble with that is that Ooarai in the International matches would have to be visually distinctive from the opposing teams. And since the most likely ending scenario is Miho vs, Emi, and Emi would likely be fielding German tanks (as she'd from Germany, though if they follow the similar paths as the Japanese, her school could be fielding any sort of nationalites tanks), than Ooarai can't also be fielding a lot of standard German tanks. (The Hetzer and Tiger (P) are decidedly non-standard). The Panzer IV and StuG III are common, but it would be fairly normal to have Emi's team field Panzer IIIs and Panthers instead (much like KMM).

Thus if Ooarai was to be the international team, they would need a larger mixed bag of tanks, as well as either decidely inferior common tanks, or rare tanks in order to be visually different than their opponents. (or happen to not go up against a school that has their common tanks).
Old 2013-03-26, 13:08   Link #5557
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
The trouble with that is that Ooarai in the International matches would have to be visually distinctive from the opposing teams. And since the most likely ending scenario is Miho vs, Emi, and Emi would likely be fielding German tanks (as she'd from Germany, though if they follow the similar paths as the Japanese, her school could be fielding any sort of nationalites tanks), than Ooarai can't also be fielding a lot of standard German tanks. (The Hetzer and Tiger (P) are decidedly non-standard). The Panzer IV and StuG III are common, but it would be fairly normal to have Emi's team field Panzer IIIs and Panthers instead (much like KMM).

Thus if Ooarai was to be the international team, they would need a larger mixed bag of tanks, as well as either decidely inferior common tanks, or rare tanks in order to be visually different than their opponents. (or happen to not go up against a school that has their common tanks).
Girls und MAUS!
Old 2013-03-26, 13:11   Link #5558
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

And Ooarai with a Maus would be weird (though someone already did a one up on that with a E-100 and called it Whale Team)
Old 2013-03-26, 13:21   Link #5559
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
That said, I'm a little surprised, if Miho didn't practice Nishizumi-ryu (ruthlessness, cunning, tactics) .. then someone still needs to explain to me what the hell Nishizumi-ryu actually is?
Always going forwards whatever the cost? The Nishizumi-ryu always felt rather fatalistic to me...The closest approximation I can give it would be the spirit of Japan's warriors in WWII. And that's not a criticism at all. Both those things are simply what they are and there are always good and bad sides to them
Old 2013-03-26, 13:25   Link #5560
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Girls und MAUS!
Why not. They can give it to the bunnies. Remember what they first said when they met the M3?

「大砲が二門有るね」(It has two guns)
「大きくで強そう」(It looks big and strong)

Uh, sorry. No. You were fooled.

Let's try giving them something that has two guns, and IS big and strong. The Maus in GuP even moves reasonably well, almost like a real tank
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gup, original anime, slice of life, sports, tanks