AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2010-10-21, 05:03   Link #921
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Look, long as xKou knows what will happen and what it requires to move to Japan, then I see no problem stopping them. I'm also under the impression they aren't going to affect you adversely should they manage to screw up.

I have to admit you do need to be beaten with the realtiy stick some before making your decision. But you should always aim what's within your reach that will also make you happy. Just keep that in mind.

Last edited by Arbitres; 2010-10-21 at 05:04. Reason: Decided to cut the sarcasm...
Arbitres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-21, 17:16   Link #922
Heiwatsuki

@arbitres
Quote:
Look, long as xKou knows what will happen and what it requires to move to Japan, then I see no problem stopping them. I'm also under the impression they aren't going to affect you adversely should they manage to screw up.

I have to admit you do need to be beaten with the realtiy stick some before making your decision. But you should always aim what's within your reach that will also make you happy. Just keep that in mind.
Lol thanks. and besides, if i do go to japan after i finish college and save alot of money, im going to stay with my japanese aunt for a while. And buy a ton of manga, explore, and go back to America (so i wont get screwed, i got japanese relatives). I plan on actually living in Japan once i get ALOT better with writing in japanese( which probaby wont be for another 5-10 years, lmfao)
Old 2010-10-22, 13:03   Link #923
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKou View Post
I know, but like I said, i hate everything here. And if i wanted to move out of the U.S . What better place than the home of my favorite source of entertainment.
how about a place where you have a good chance of making a living and fitting into the culture?
I'm not saying that you shouldn't try, if that's your dream then you shouldn't let anything hold you back...but make sure you take a good look at it practicality wise. Try visiting for a while, or take the English teacher for a year route.

School Rumble 4Ever!
I'm on FB search "jym cl"
mindovermatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 13:45   Link #924
Heiwatsuki

@mindovermatter thanks for the advice . but i already said i was going to visit first in the post before yours
Old 2010-10-22, 14:01   Link #925
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

One thing I will tell you for sure - make sure you get some sort of college degree, whatever it is. Without one it's very, very difficult for an American to get a working visa. We don't have a "working holiday' program with Japan like the EU does, and no company in Japan will sponsor you for a work visa unless you have a 4-year degree. There are some other ways involving investing $100K or more in a new business or some very specialized skills, but it's an order of magnitude more difficult to work in Japan with the degree.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 14:25   Link #926
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Send a message via AIM to mindovermatter Send a message via MSN to mindovermatter Send a message via Yahoo to mindovermatter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
One thing I will tell you for sure - make sure you get some sort of college degree, whatever it is. Without one it's very, very difficult for an American to get a working visa. We don't have a "working holiday' program with Japan like the EU does, and no company in Japan will sponsor you for a work visa unless you have a 4-year degree. There are some other ways involving investing $100K or more in a new business or some very specialized skills, but it's an order of magnitude more difficult to work in Japan with the degree.
I've read that the government won't even give you a work (or teaching?) visa without a 4yr degree

School Rumble 4Ever!
Old 2010-10-22, 15:36   Link #927
flying ^

Quote:
thats what I planned to do... and not all of 'us' treat mexicans that way. Its only you racists that do. I dont hate mexicans at all, and i have some friends that are mexican
you'll soon find out the (majority of) Japanese and Dr. Michael Savage have in common when it comes to the motto:

Borders, Language, Culture

Spoiler for I'll fill-in blanks for you in case you don't get it:

----------

oh and i see you have a relative there
that's a big plus so that someone can guide you on what is and is not tolerated, social norms, and ease of transition

Last edited by flying ^; 2010-10-22 at 16:12.
flying ^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-10-22, 20:53   Link #928
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindovermatter View Post
I've read that the government won't even give you a work (or teaching?) visa without a 4yr degree
Well, the issue is that no school or company will even attempt to get the government to issue a visa for you ("sponsorship") without the degree. Supposedly if you show you have 5 years of experience teaching, they may accept that.

I've heard that it's actually possible to "self-sponsor" and the government sometimes grants visas without the 4-year degree - but I couldn't say for sure if that's the case.
Old 2010-10-23, 00:56   Link #929
Knightrunner

Quote:
@arbitres

Lol thanks. and besides, if i do go to japan after i finish college and save alot of money, im going to stay with my japanese aunt for a while. And buy a ton of manga, explore, and go back to America (so i wont get screwed, i got japanese relatives). I plan on actually living in Japan once i get ALOT better with writing in japanese( which probaby wont be for another 5-10 years, lmfao)
Thats good that you have a Japanese relative It will make the transition easier. You might want to think about taking some college course about asian history and Japanese language since there are so many levels to the language.
Old 2010-10-23, 03:23   Link #930
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
l wanted to work in Japan and be an animator, though, that may be far from impossible...... l'm a nurse duh...!
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-05, 12:56   Link #931
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

So, it's back to Japan for trip #3 at the end of March. The places I plan to hit this time that I haven't yet are Miyajima, Kiso Valley and Shibu Onsen (Yudanaka). Anyone have any advice for those areas?
Old 2011-02-05, 13:11   Link #932
JC...
I am a Pie

Do people generally get drunk alot in Japanese cities/towns/villages? Is it less dangerous than many other countries at night? I hear there is a low crime rate.

What about dangerous insects and other animals.

And is it insulting to sleep in shrines?
JC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-07, 15:33   Link #933
-Mad Skillz-
Kinetic 9

Send a message via MSN to -Mad Skillz-
Quote:
and not all of 'us' treat mexicans that way. Its only you racists that do.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Japanese culture is very racist. Taking the 'Mexican' analogy further; at least in America a fluent Mexican immigrant will eventually be accepted into society if they choose so....in Japan no matter how fluent you become, how long you've been there, you'll always be a Gaijin on a wide-scale level. Go look up some Youtube channels of people that have been living there for years; most of them are very fluent and adapted into the culture and yet still face discrimination.
-Mad Skillz- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-12, 13:15   Link #934
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
ok......i'm here...i'm preparing for a 30 day stay in japan.

Don't know if april/may or october.

And if possible, i have to say..I want try to find a way to don't came back here...

I have various friend that live in Japa....one that have an Italian restaurant in Tokyo .... and one married with a japanese woman....

Mmmmh if we want talk about dreams....I want to work fo RE Amemiya XD (here i'm a mechanic too)
Old 2011-02-12, 13:17   Link #935
Evil_Sephiroth

Send a message via MSN to Evil_Sephiroth
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mad Skillz- View Post
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Japanese culture is very racist. Taking the 'Mexican' analogy further; at least in America a fluent Mexican immigrant will eventually be accepted into society if they choose so....in Japan no matter how fluent you become, how long you've been there, you'll always be a Gaijin on a wide-scale level. Go look up some Youtube channels of people that have been living there for years; most of them are very fluent and adapted into the culture and yet still face discrimination.
where there isn't discrimination?

Sometimes there are discrimination beetween people of same nationality... (in Italy between Nord and South citizens)
Old 2011-02-17, 04:49   Link #936
Lenne

I was there for 8 weeks since I have family there.. It was fun and want to go back but haven't really had much time lately..

Quote:

I was there and everyone thought I was Japanese and spoke to me but this was before I could speak it so I was like yea that's just great.. But I'm not Japanese
Headphones: AKG K701, Beyerdynamic DT990 (600 ohm), Audio Technica ATH-M-50, Shure SRH440, Sony MDR-V6, Sennheiser HD 598, Ultrasone PRO900, Beats Studio (purple) Audio Technica ONTO (pink)
Lenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-02-19, 19:38   Link #937
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Quote:
My answer got long so I moved it to the 'Japanese culture' thread
It's not so much a racist thing (since they discriminate on all foriegners, lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenne View Post
I was there for 8 weeks since I have family there.. It was fun and want to go back but haven't really had much time lately..
I was there and everyone thought I was Japanese and spoke to me but this was before I could speak it so I was like yea that's just great.. But I'm not Japanese
But you ethnically look Asian alike them and have family in Japan, despite being born in America all your life?

Then you're Japanese and a long lost relative to them.
The end. xD
I have a Chinese American living here who's really getting some serious issues on that compared to me who happily fits in the 'gaijin' box on sight.

More explaination in my link above

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 07:18   Link #938
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

I am going to Japan on a school trip these holidays.

I have ONE AFTERNOON IN AKIHABARA.

THIS MAY RANGE FROM 2 - 4 HOURS.

HOW SHOULD I SPEND MY TIME, AND MY WALLET MONEY. (assume that I have infinite money for the moment.)
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-05, 19:48   Link #939
mindovermatter
For me the bell tolls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khu View Post
I am going to Japan on a school trip these holidays.

I have ONE AFTERNOON IN AKIHABARA.

THIS MAY RANGE FROM 2 - 4 HOURS.

HOW SHOULD I SPEND MY TIME, AND MY WALLET MONEY. (assume that I have infinite money for the moment.)
I've only been to Akihabra once, but I spent my afternoon there just walking around and going into random stores. I found that to be very rewarding, because going into a store, you never know what you'll find. Anime figurines were still relatively expensive, 700-800yen for a small school rumble plastic model, and 200yen for one of those cell phone charms.
What sort of school trip is it?

School Rumble 4Ever!
Old 2011-03-06, 02:55   Link #940
Khu
そんなやさしくしないで。。。

Kyoto, Tokyo, Disneyland, Osaka, mainly.
Khu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
japan, travel