AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-05-01, 16:45   Link #1001
Rahan

I have actually watched the game. The french league is such a borefest this season I have been away from any football since winter(When you watch a Nancy - Troyes, you DON'T want to watch more football), with the exceptions of the home games of my team (AS Nancy Lorraine) since I am a season ticket holder.

I am glad Liverpool made it. I can't stand Mourinho and Drogba and I am hoping for a AC Milan - Liverpool rematch.
Rahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 17:05   Link #1002
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahan View Post

I am glad Liverpool made it. I can't stand Mourinho and Drogba and I am hoping for a AC Milan - Liverpool rematch.
Naaa, that would be crap!

Liverppol V Man UTD will just exhibit sheer English dominance of the game and will undoubtedly be a thrilling final. Two arch rivals battling it out for the biggest prize football has to offer. Can’t wait!
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 17:24   Link #1003
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

OMGWTFBBQ!!! LIVERPOOL HAVE COME BACK FROM THE DEAD! FORTRESS ANFIELD (i.e. the fans) HAVE DONE IT AGAIN!!!

Calms down

I'm just speechless and mentally exhausted after coming back from the pub to watch the game.

All I had asked before the match was "Just score first and see what happens." Agger duly did it, and the pub (which was totally packed with Liverpool fans, not a blue in sight) erupted. After that, Benitez and Morinho basically cancelled each other out for the remainder of the 120 minutes.

I think I was at the edge of going insane near the end of extra time, though I was rather calm as the penalty shootout began, as I've seen Reina did his job in shootouts in the FA Cup final last year.

Reina saves the 1st one, though he misses Lampard's shot, but he made a second crucial save, and in the end Kuyt made it 4-1 on penalties (meaning Liverpool did not miss a single penalty), to send Liverpool to a second Champions League final in three years.

(An interesting observation: Reina and Jens Lehmann in Germany's World Cup win against Argentina last year may have shown that the key to winning shootouts may rest on the keeper instead of the shooters. )

It may not be as "beautiful" as last week's Man U vs AC Milan 3-2 game, but it certainly had a great atmosphere and a lot of heart put into it by the Reds.

The pub then did its own rendition of "You'll Never Walk Alone" at the same time as Anfield, simply unbelievable night. I only went expecting a great atmosphere with no regrets, but to actually win it. Two finals in three years is a great achievement in itself.

And if you believe the omens, for the past two years (2005-2006), the team that eliminated Chelsea would go on to win the Champions League. But I'll be taking nothing for granted.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns...league&cc=4716

The above link was a report by Soccernet after the first leg. The anonymous "Insider" gave a very biased anti-Liverpool report, gleefully saying he'd rather be with Chelsea fans than with "lowlife" Liverpool ones. Today's win makes it all the more sweeter as this arrogant git is forced to eat humble pie, as he totally forgotten to put the Anfield factor into consideration once again.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-01, 17:31   Link #1004
Shay
Monarch Programmer

^ I was working while the game was on so I couldn't watch, but on my drive home I had the radio on (City FM) and when Kuyt scored John Aldridge's scream from my radio almost deafened me. Then two seconds later when it was disallowed and he was like "No WaY! No way!" lol I almost pissed myself. Aldo is always so biased. Twas funny...

I suppose a well done is in order. Well done.
Old 2007-05-01, 19:20   Link #1005
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
(An interesting observation: Reina and Jens Lehmann in Germany's World Cup win against Argentina last year may have shown that the key to winning shootouts may rest on the keeper instead of the shooters. )
Don't remind me of that match. Please.

Damned be the freaking Switz scout that gave Lehmann that goddamn little piece of paper. Damn him.

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 01:03   Link #1006
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Damn you Liverpool!.

Oh well, this season UEFA sucked. Nothing worth while. Oh well, here is to tonights game!
________
KAWASAKI KLX125A

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:54.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 07:24   Link #1007
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
Naaa, that would be crap!

Liverppol V Man UTD will just exhibit sheer English dominance of the game and will undoubtedly be a thrilling final. Two arch rivals battling it out for the biggest prize football has to offer. Can’t wait!
Half the players wouldn't even be English.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 08:00   Link #1008
Itachikun
Animesuki's Janitor

Send a message via AIM to Itachikun Send a message via MSN to Itachikun
Ya, people are saying that if its going to be Man Utd vs Liverpool that it will just be another Premiership match. Well if both teams have made it to the finals, then that just proves that the english teams are the best in Europe.

Oh well, it will be nice for either AC Milan or Man Utd to go all the way!
________
Medical marijuana strains

Last edited by Itachikun; 2011-02-15 at 08:54.
Itachikun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 09:31   Link #1009
KiNA
Kira_Naruto, the ecchi
*Graphic Designer

It would be a support to the lesser evil for me tonite ... AC Milan
>> Tsukiumi
>> Saeko Busujima
>> Himuka
>> Yui Kotegawa

KiNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 15:46   Link #1010
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

AC Milan 3 - 0 Man U

AC Milan win 5-3 on aggregate.

So Athens 2007 will be the sequel to Istanbul 2005, once again Liverpool vs AC Milan. (Interesting to note both venues are within the ancient Greece civilization circle, from one ancient capital to another, the ancient Gods must really like these two teams. )

The pro-United/Chelski media have been devising a script about a three-way battle in the Premiership, FA Cup and Champions League between the two teams, and thankfully for neutrals who dislike both, Liverpool and AC Milan have gone and torn apart the third part.

A second Treble? You're having a laugh.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-02, 19:51   Link #1011
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Liverppol V Man UTD will just exhibit sheer English dominance of the game and will undoubtedly be a thrilling final.
It's not necessary to prove further the dominance of English football in Europe. Three English teams made it to the semifinals, and it goes along with the standings of the leagues. From Europe, I personally favor the English premiership, too. I find Spanish football terribly boring, and I can't seem to understand the ultra-defensive way of playing in the Italian league.

But of course, the best of leagues IMO is the Argentinian championship. Call me biased, but not even English Premier League matches thrill me so much as local football clashes.

Old 2007-05-03, 05:41   Link #1012
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
I can't seem to understand the ultra-defensive way of playing in the Italian league.
Oh really? Ultra-defensive, eh? I suppose you watch all the Serie A matches every week to be able to say that, right? Or are you just basing your opiniong on the usual prejudices?

Well, that's ok anyway. It's better for the italian teams if the rest of the world is convinced that they play "ultra-defensive", that way it's even more satisfying to see them drop their jaw when a non-italian team loses 3-0. Hehe.
Shinndou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-03, 08:45   Link #1013
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
Oh really? Ultra-defensive, eh? I suppose you watch all the Serie A matches every week to be able to say that, right? Or are you just basing your opiniong on the usual prejudices?
Ummm, no, I spent some time watching my share of Italian league matches and couldn't stop the yawning...

Besides, a single Italian team playing non-defensively doesn't mean that the rest of the teams in the league play offensively--I also enjoy watching Barcelona FC sometimes, but the rest of the teams in the Spanish league are quite boring.

PS: Remember the World Cup final? Now that was a yawn-maker.

Last edited by WanderingKnight; 2007-05-03 at 09:26.
Old 2007-05-04, 13:05   Link #1014
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

You generalized saying that in Serie A all teams play utlra-defensively. The national team and how they play is an other completely different thing from a nation's league. I hope you're smart enough to understand that, else could you explain me why England still hasn't won any other world cup since a very very long time? Or why is the french league not at the same level of the other countries? Yet France was a finalist and runner-up. Which is why I am telling you to not be so quick to generalize the serie A labeling it as an "ultra-defensive" league just because you watched team italy's performance at the World Cup. I dare you to point exactly all the "boring" matches of this year during the Serie A league and to arguement why, else your opinion is just a prejudice you somehow made through other people's opinion or through a quick and not so deep observation of a couple of matches of one or two teams.

Mind you, I don't really care if a team is defensive or not as long as the game is entertaining, but I do dislike when I see people quickly generalizing and labeling something out of the blue without having a real knowledge of that league. This year Serie A has been butchered because of the past year's scandal which demoted Juventus and penalized the other teams with the exception of Inter, and of course it was a much less interesting league than the other european league this time. And I do agree with you that this year english teams and the english league are simply better overall, but to call Serie A "ultra-defensive?" Trust me, it's absolutely not like that, I do watch most of serie A and even serie B games (since I am a Juventus supporter) and it's definetely not a defensive league. It's just that there are certain team coaches that do prefer a defensive style, but it's not all of them. Ancelotti isn't a defending type of coach, for instance. Sacchi wasn't either. Roma's Luciano Spalletti isn't defensive either, nor is Lazio's Delio Rossi. Or even Inter's Mancini. On the other hand Capello is defensive, and so are Trapattoni, Lippi, Ranieri, for instance. So I wouldn't be so quick to label Serie A like that.
Old 2007-05-04, 14:03   Link #1015
Shay
Monarch Programmer

^ Even your post is a "yawn" lol

It's common knowledge throughout the whole footballing world that the Italian type of play is slow and defensive. i.e. a yawn.

I swear I fell asleep once whilst watching a game. However, it was partly due to hypnotic, monotonous drumming from the fans, which is also a yawn.
Old 2007-05-04, 14:08   Link #1016
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

You guys must be lucky, you can see all these games without paying shitloads of money to a certain PayTV-company (well I know that the situation is equaly worse in italy...)
Thats kinda frustrating
Old 2007-05-04, 14:26   Link #1017
Sasuke_Bateman
No

Sunday! 4 O'Clock! we will see the greatest football display by a team you'll ever see! 60,000 (if you wanna be a dick about it 55,000 or less) people shouting abuse at Cashely Cole! It's gonna be a magical! COME ON THE GUNNERRRRRRS Next reason the whole premiership will feel our wrath,BELIEVE IT.
Sasuke_Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-05-04, 14:35   Link #1018
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay View Post
^ Even your post is a "yawn" lol

It's common knowledge throughout the whole footballing world that the Italian type of play is slow and defensive. i.e. a yawn.

I swear I fell asleep once whilst watching a game. However, it was partly due to hypnotic, monotonous drumming from the fans, which is also a yawn.
Sorry but this kind of provocative posts like yours don't work at all. I've arguemented my reasons and explained them. Using the "common knowledge" as a backup excuse is far too easy if you cannot find concrete proofs and arguements based on facts to prove my point wrong. "A game"? Which game? Between which teams? When did it happen? Again, generalizing like you are doing just doesn't really work at all for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto Lin View Post
You guys must be lucky, you can see all these games without paying shitloads of money to a certain PayTV-company (well I know that the situation is equaly worse in italy...)
Thats kinda frustrating
Luckily I don't pay anything because my college dorm pays for it (Sky TV), so I am able to watch both Serie A, Serie B, and even Premier League and the Liga when there's not any serie A match going on at the same time. Since I generally do not have much to do during the afternoons on week-ends I end up watching most of the games.
Old 2007-05-04, 19:13   Link #1019
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Quote:
I dare you to point exactly all the "boring" matches of this year during the Serie A league and to arguement why, else your opinion is just a prejudice you somehow made through other people's opinion or through a quick and not so deep observation of a couple of matches of one or two teams.
None, mind you. I've watched my share of Italian league matches a couple of years ago, and I repeat, they were B-O-R-I-N-G. I don't know what your standard on "offensiveness" is, but comparing the Italian league to what I usually watch (esp Argentinian football and English football), it was boring. Very.

I don't blame you for liking the league of your country, and I already said I was biased in my analysis of my own country's league, but I'm not taking back my goddamn statement because it's just a damn opinion, man.

And yeah, it's common knowledge. Does the word catenaccio ring a bell? (I suppose it does, with you being Italian and all that :P).

Old 2007-05-04, 19:45   Link #1020
Shinndou
魂を踊らすように

Yes it does, but do you know its meaning and in which circumstances it's used?

Anyway, I am not really expecting you or anybody else to change your opinion about italian soccer, but I did feel that your sentence was more like an approximative generalization of a couple of team coaches' mentalities that was applied (unfairly) to italian soccer scene as a whole, which is why I wanted to try to correct that sentence somehow.

I am still of the opinion that italian soccer as a whole cannot really be considered "defensive", since there's coaches who prefer offensive play (yes, offensive just like english teams) and others who prefer defensive play. I've always been against generalizations because they just give the wrong and distorted image of a scene. I could quickly label english soccer as whole as a type of soccer with not much technique involved and more stamina-based matches, but I know that it'd be a wrong generalization because I do watch english games as well and there's also a nice display of technique. So why do people have to easily and quickly label an other league just because it's "common knowledge"? Common knowledge from what, if most of the people who say it have probably only watched some games of the national team and some european cup? I hope you get my point, I am trying to make sense in this discussion.

Last edited by Shinndou; 2007-05-04 at 20:01.

Tags
football, soccer