Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2006-03-17, 08:58   Link #1
DaFool
Resident devil

Dr. Watson Error 87

I get the following error when logging into a Win2K PC in Debugging mode:

PC boots fine in Safe Modes, but reboots immediately as Windows starts up normally. I had already disabled automatic reboot upon error. Still, PC can't get into login screen after booting normally without automatically restarting. I do not know the history of this box or what people have done to it. I doubt it is a sasser or RAM issue. Did some search on google, nothing definitive yet, will search some more...but does this look familiar to anyone?

Thanks for any tips.
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-17, 10:38   Link #2
NightWish
…Nothing More
*Administrator

The error doesn't mean much to me, however~

As you may know reboots and blue screens are pretty much always hardware or driver related issues. Remove/fix the hardware or driver and it should boot ok. If you don't know the history of the box you'll have to work with what you do know:

You say you can boot into safe mode? Start by booting the PC normally but with boot time logging enabled (hit F8 at boot time and select enable logging, or similar). Wait for it to boot and reset automatically again. This time select Safe Mode. Once you are at the safe mode desktop, you should find a bootlog.txt file in the root of the boot drive. Check the last line and work backwards to see what driver is causing the error.

You can also tweak what runs at start up from Safe Mode by running msconfig (start > run... etc). Removing components one by one until you have isolated the problem is another approach you can take if the log doesn't tell you much.
NightWish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 01:06   Link #3
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

This may not be very helpful but usually in these types of situations I usually just backup all important data and do a clean reinstall of the operating system. It's just not worth the time and effort to troubleshoot these types of tedious problems. I would suggest slapping on XP Pro if you can as its more stable the W2K.
Keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-19, 02:56   Link #4
Tiberium Wolf

Go to the event viewer and see if you can find something useful there.