AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-03-30, 02:37   Link #1
Boushu

Where do I go from here?

I recently got in to animes and as many before me I was introduced to Death Note by a friend. The show was brilliant, although it should have ended a bit earlier.
Spoiler for Key events in Death Note:

After that I watched the two seasons of Kaiji, which I really enjoyed. That guy is such a hilarious degenerate, but he has a good heart. Some of the games are really cool, too.

I'm a bit of a gambler myself, so I went on to One Outs and Akagi. One Outs was ok, Akagi was better. Those two have a flaw though, they become quite predictable as the protagonist is so superior to the opposition that you know he will win in the end no matter what.

The last show I watched was Famous Gambler Tetsuya, and it's my favourite by quite a bit so far. The setting in the late 40s, the gambling rooms, the sleezy characters, the interaction between Tetsuya and Boushou and the cozy humour scattered here and there. I was genuinely sad by the end of it.

So, where do I go from here?
Boushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 02:41   Link #2
Cynor
SS Bombardment Mage

Well as you say you liked Death Note I would definitely have to say go watch Code Geass. The two are quite similar in certain aspects, especially the whole mind game aspect, and a lot of people generally say if you like one you'll like the other.

We will always exist before our Mistress of the Night Sky, Hayate
Cynor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 02:45   Link #3
Boushu

Thanks Cynor, I will be sure to check that out. That's kind of what I'm looking for, though, the whole "I know what you are thinking", "I know what you think I am thinking", "I know what you think I think you are thinking", etc etc.
Old 2013-03-30, 02:49   Link #4
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

If you like mature and dark anime like Death Note then maybe you’ll like other mature shows like Psycho-Pass, Black Lagoon, Fate/Zero, Monster, Baccano, Basilisk, Trigun, Zetman or Cowboy Bebop. Try to read spoiler-free synopsis of those titles first to know which one you like the most.
Old 2013-03-30, 03:07   Link #5
Boushu

Out of those I think Psycho-Pass is the most appealing, followed by Black Lagoon, Basilisk and Monster. I am a bit reluctant to watch anything space-related, but maybe I'm missing out one something?

Also, I am a bit disappointed that there doesn't seem to be any more mahjong animes. Saki doesn't count, I want smoky rooms and shady characters.
Old 2013-03-30, 03:09   Link #6
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

2nding Code Geass, Psycho Pass, and Fate/Zero. All 3 have that element you're looking for at least to some extend.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 06:59   Link #7
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You'll find a number of shady characters in Baccano!, a story about gangsters and immortals set in Prohibition America. The first episode is a bit slow, and there is a large cast to keep track of, but once you get started, I think you might enjoy it. No gambling, though.

I'll also recommend last summer's Lupin III: The Woman Named Mine Fujiko. Lupin III was a classic manga and anime about thieves dating back to the late 1960s in which Fujiko was a side character. Here she gets a show of her own to display her considerable assets.

There are shows about other classic Japanese games, but they feature adolescents in the main roles. Hikaru no Go tried to rekindle interest in competitive Go among Japanese kids because the country was starting to fall behind Korea and Taiwan in international competition. It's very compelling with many tense games and lots of cliffhanger endings. The punningly-named Shion no Ou focuses on Shougi, or "Japanese chess," a features a 13-yo girl who wants to follow in her stepfather's footsteps and become a professional player. She also witnessed her parents brutal murder at age four; the efforts to uncover their murderer runs alongside Shion's development. This past year we have Chihayafuru about a strange game called karuta which uses cards on which are printed famous Japanese poems. All of these shows have the usual focus on becoming "strong" at the game, though Chihayafuru also stresses trying to balance individual achievement with team play.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-03-31 at 08:59.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 09:43   Link #8
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I would suggest:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-30, 11:14   Link #9
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boushu View Post
I am a bit reluctant to watch anything space-related, but maybe I'm missing out one something?
Well for Cowboy Bebop I'll just quote wiki

Quote:
The series' art direction centers on American music and counterculture, especially the beat and jazz movements of the 1940s–1960s and the early rock and roll era of the 1950s–1970s
Sounds to me like something you'd be interested in, the opening pretty much sets the tone.

I'll second Monster and Lupin III. as well

I'll add in Shiki because there is a bit of of mind games aspect to it with vampires trying to invade a village without being noticed and a doctor trying to prove their real nature, it also really likes to blur the line between good and evil.
Old 2013-03-30, 19:19   Link #10
kitten320

From the ones you mentioned I only have watched Death Note but looks like you are into unpredictability and mind gaming so I'll name the following:

Code Geass - anti MC just like in Death Note
Psycho-Pass - great series with some suspense and mind gaming.
Fate/Zero - mind games, some unpredictable events
Ga-Rei Zero - surprised me many times, mind games
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - it has far more surprises than you can think off. Suggest it pretty strongly. Surprised thousands of people me included.
Steins;Gate - another good suspence, mind play series. Gets better in second half. Explores how tiny changes in time could change everything.
Bakuman - done by same author as Death Note so worth a check even though it is slice of life comedy about manga industry.
Baccano! - a very unique way of story telling that'll get you engrossed. Every question is answered in its own time.
Bakemonogatari - unique series with unique approach.
FMA - it has 2 seasons. First has anime original story and second follows the manag. each season has its pluses and minuses so if you don't like one, you might like the other. I usually hate MCs but I really like Edward Elric and story offered several surprises on its way.
GTO - even though it is a comedy, it covers a lot of serious, life relevant topics and has some mind games in it. One of the best series out there that should be watched just as much as Death Note.
Jigoku shoujo - just like Death note deals with the theme "is it right to kill evil people?". However, it has an episodic approach and not much of an actual linear story.
Kokoro Connect - something slightly different but involves a lot of mind gaming. Several characters are forced to play a game with a Heartseed who keeps messing with their lives in different fashion. His first trick was to switch their bodies.
Monster - good detective series with some twists.
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - dramatic, mind twisting series with some surprises.
Shiki - I'll second this one.

Hope this helps.
Old 2013-03-30, 21:25   Link #11
Boushu

Wow, thanks guys. I started watching a bit yesterday, and now I'm probably covered for the next year or so. Great!

I especially love how all of you covered different areas in terms of themes, I'll be sure to save this thread in my favorites tab.