AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > Mahouka [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2016-03-12, 21:15   Link #921
casiopao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echizen777 View Post
We don't even know much about the Japanese families to begin with. I don't think he could explore anything at this point since the ending is near unless there is a sequel with other characters or some kind of data books.
Ehhh? It is near to ending? I thought the LN is still going strong here? And now it is going to end?

I would not be happy if the author does not expand the universe more here when he ended this title here.T_T Maybe by making spin-off like Railgun on Index series.^_^

I mean, whats going on in Australia is also interesting here.^_^ Why did they choose to close themselves.^_^ And i would love to see if behind each nation, there are many spies from each countries bloc trying to undermine the other countries bloc here.^^
casiopao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 07:19   Link #922
pampz21
ShipCore

That movie cover is wierd and extremely out of place.

to Believe is to Live,
to Ship is to Believe,
the best part of believe is the Lie,
to Lie to oneself is to Live
and that is the Essence of Life

pampz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-03-13, 10:26   Link #923
casiopao

Quote:
Originally Posted by pampz21 View Post
That movie cover is wierd and extremely out of place.
No Mayumi thats why.^_^
casiopao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-06-09, 01:00   Link #924
amtro
Distro

I haven't seen any of the cards posted here for quite some time. Did whoever it was that was doing it stop ripping the cards?
Old 2016-09-12, 09:11   Link #925
Lenox

Can I ask what you guys like about this series? Now please read this with an open mind and know that I'm not trying to start anything. It's just I tried but couldn't get into it. The setting is what originally drew me to it and I love an OP character as much as the next guy, but Tatsuya to me is about as interesting as white bread and his clingy cock-block of a sister is right up there among my most hated characters. Yes I know about the genetics thing but until a couple of volumes ago she didn't but still acted like his wife and I would bet you my left nut that she would most definitely have committed incest. Couple that with the horrible family the main hasn't done much about along with a laundry list of small annoyances and I really can't understand the appeal. Not saying it's bad just that it's not for me but I want to know what others like about it.
Lenox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 09:39   Link #926
fujin of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenox View Post
Can I ask what you guys like about this series? Now please read this with an open mind and know that I'm not trying to start anything. It's just I tried but couldn't get into it. The setting is what originally drew me to it and I love an OP character as much as the next guy, but Tatsuya to me is about as interesting as white bread and his clingy cock-block of a sister is right up there among my most hated characters. Yes I know about the genetics thing but until a couple of volumes ago she didn't but still acted like his wife and I would bet you my left nut that she would most definitely have committed incest. Couple that with the horrible family the main hasn't done much about along with a laundry list of small annoyances and I really can't understand the appeal. Not saying it's bad just that it's not for me but I want to know what others like about it.
I can't explain to you why I love Mahouka. I just love it. I love the world, I love the main characters, and I also love the relationship between Tatsuya and Miyuki, Miyuki's love for Tatsuya was the one that pulled me in.
fujin of shadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 09:58   Link #927
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fujin of shadows View Post
I can't explain to you why I love Mahouka. I just love it. I love the world, I love the main characters, and I also love the relationship between Tatsuya and Miyuki, Miyuki's love for Tatsuya was the one that pulled me in.
I always found more interest in Tatsuya's interactions and relationships with other characters. I find those a lot more interesting than his relationship with Miyuki.
Old 2016-09-12, 11:47   Link #928
Zeborg

Quote:
Well as the author says, it's a story about Tatsuya and Miyuki, and their daily lives. What sets the series apart however are the 2 very unique protagonists, and their unusual and probably unhealthily obsessive relationship. I'm sure these are the 2 main reasons the series is as popular as it is.

For me what initially drew me into it was the secrecy behind the both of them and the slow unveiling of Tatsuya's ability, both in terms of combat, as well as his mental framework, and to a lesser extent Miyukis. There's also slow world building, but I keep hoping Satou will do a bit more with it instead of just providing the information. Seems like we're now finally starting to see the pieces move on a global level.
I will say that, if you're reading this series for shipping purposes, and it seems many people are. You will most likely be disappointed. Satou is not a romance writer, and Mahouka is not a romance LN. The relationships are pretty set in stone from the get go and in the case of Tatsuya and Miyuki, there really isn't that much to even develop since as you said, from the beginning she's already acting like a wife. It's better to think of the romance as a side point, but if you need romance and plenty of charged moments in a series Mahouka probably isn't for you.

In general, I would say that if you heavily dislike one of the 2 main characters the charm of the series is most likely lost on you, since basically all of the story moves through them. It's not like, say Overlord, or Mondaji where plenty of side characters are given a lot of screen time.
That's fine though. Not everyone has to like everything I like, or vice versa.
Zeborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 12:32   Link #929
Jiminy

Quote:

Hard to answer. ... I guess I liked the magic system. the combination of magic and science is something you don't really find in other novels. In this world all spells follow a certain logic. that and of course the mysteries behind Tatsuya. Both the characters and the master clans seemed to promise a certain darkness. Anyway that's the answer I would have given you 2 years ago. now ... with every new volume I find it harder to answer your question. romance: other authors did a better job. politics: I often can't follow the actions of the characters and I would describe many of their big moves as petty. I don't expect a complexity like you can find it in martins books but sometimes ... Well anyway it's good enough until the next overlord volume appears.
Jiminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-12, 18:44   Link #930
BalorView

Quote:
Read this LN for Mayumi scenes with Tatsuya, i don't care much about that sister, she is too bland for my taste.
BalorView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-13, 00:22   Link #931
cyberdemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalorView View Post
Read this LN for Mayumi scenes with Tatsuya, i don't care much about that sister, she is too bland for my taste.
I'm exactly the same. I find Mayumi's and Tatsuya's scenes together much more playful and fun to read. Tatsuya and Miyuki just comes off as yes woman Miyuki and too serious Tatsuya. There's isn't much that is fun to read about it.
Old 2016-09-16, 19:52   Link #932
Diocar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiminy View Post
Hard to answer. ... I guess I liked the magic system. the combination of magic and science is something you don't really find in other novels. In this world all spells follow a certain logic. that and of course the mysteries behind Tatsuya. Both the characters and the master clans seemed to promise a certain darkness. Anyway that's the answer I would have given you 2 years ago. now ... with every new volume I find it harder to answer your question. romance: other authors did a better job. politics: I often can't follow the actions of the characters and I would describe many of their big moves as petty. I don't expect a complexity like you can find it in martins books but sometimes ... Well anyway it's good enough until the next overlord volume appears.
That is exactly how I fell about mahouka.
I don t konw what happened, but the story promised a lot in the first volumes with a ruthless, op and logical mc and a story that seemed more mature than most Lns with lots of schemes, plots, manipulations and action with the ocasional death. Besides the original magical sistem based on science.

However, in the last volumes mahouka became a vulgar Ln with the harem antics, tats stoped being ruthless, the plots in each volume are stupid at best and most of the darker elements foreshadowed in the earlier volumes were a huge dispointment. Basically mahouka lost its mature vibe ...
Diocar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-12, 13:22   Link #933
zerosum

Who Satou Tsutomu?

Author of this novel, Satou Tsutomu is not the real name right?
zerosum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-12, 15:06   Link #934
IceHism

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosum View Post
Author of this novel, Satou Tsutomu is not the real name right?
Not sure if that is his real name or not (well we don't know much about him besides rumors anyways) but he seems to want to stay anonymous.
IceHism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-15, 11:41   Link #935
zerosum

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHism View Post
Not sure if that is his real name or not (well we don't know much about him besides rumors anyways) but he seems to want to stay anonymous.
Well if this the case,

Spoiler for identity:

this is what i though
Old 2016-10-17, 22:57   Link #936
rickiminato

when are release the new novel?
Old 2016-10-17, 23:28   Link #937
hanesco

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerosum View Post
Well if this the case,

Spoiler for identity:

this is what i though
False, at least in my opinion, their writing styles are completely different (taking as references Watari's tendency to make puns and similar, and Satou's world construction and knowledge of scientific method and political issues)
hanesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 11:22   Link #938
salamander750

Since I am new to this thread, let me ask a question: what is your personal opinion about Shiba Tatsuya? loved him, hated him? Is he a good main character or not? Since lots of people said that he is a Mary Sue so I want to ask your opinion abot It, Is it true or not.
salamander750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-09, 12:17   Link #939
zerosum

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamander750 View Post
Since I am new to this thread, let me ask a question: what is your personal opinion about Shiba Tatsuya? loved him, hated him? Is he a good main character or not? Since lots of people said that he is a Mary Sue so I want to ask your opinion abot It, Is it true or not.
im fine with this kind of hero. Like it. Mary Sue? you gotta be kidding me That just overrated for me. He is master of destruction but at the same time have a sense of responsibility about what he done even though he have problem with his own emotion and hated by most of his own family (except his sister) he still trying do his best to change his fate.

After read this novelist biography, i understand why i got hook with this novel so easy. This novel main and sub character basic element(i think) are base on author real life expirience work as sallaryman before he became full time novel writer. I also work as sallaryman so i easily understand why this novel work that way.
Old 2017-03-09, 15:07   Link #940
Eclar
Avid reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamander750 View Post
When I started reading Mahouka, Tatsuya for me was a refreshing character after reading and watching series/novels that I didn't like because the plot did not connect with the MC's involvement.

Mary sue? Well, in a sense I can understand why people say he is one, but imo he isnt. Despite having his godlike decomposition/restoration magic, above genius intellect and resources, Tatsuya is not perfect. He is seriously nerfed when he is in public because he needed to hide himself from the world, or else there would be a lot of chaos and unnecessary developement.
Any character would probably be a Mary Sue if they had those powers in another world, but not in Mahouka because it is necessary for the story and for him and his ideals to be this powerful. In fact, everything he obtained has a backstory/foundation.

His Decomposition/Restoration powers and his intellect were obtained by his family and his ability to understand magic. His CADs and inventions were obtained by his efforts to protect himself and Miyuki and make a better world for her and the magicians.
In other stories, there are characters that have X powers without paying a price or they suddenly use it or create it instantly without proper explanation. That's what people complain when some characters are powerful and that's the reason why people generalize some MCs without even reading the novels.

If he wasn't that strong, he would have died in Okinawa, he would not be able to achieve his goals, change his fate or even fight against his enemies, the magicians will be doomed to lose their rights as a human and they would be pushed to wage a war that will not even benefit both parts.

Thumbs up for the author for creating a character that is powerful enough to make his goals come true while limiting him in a believable way, and establishing a world that moves like if it was one IRL, even though there are some flaws but it is still a pretty good worldbuilding.

I don't remember who said this, but someone in animesuki said that "for every Tatsuya, there are five Kiritos". I think he/she made this statement because the latter lacked developement or was a badly written character. Idk if this is true though because everyone has different opinions.