AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

View Poll Results: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's - Rating
Perfect 10 16 25.00%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 16 25.00%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 20.31%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 4.69%
6 out of 10 : Average 8 12.50%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 2 3.13%
4 out of 10 : Poor 4 6.25%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.56%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 1.56%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-03-21, 12:42   Link #361
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
9 years of practice!

It will always be Raging Heart to me, romanization be damned.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 12:51   Link #362
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Ah and by the way, Hayate AND Reinforce get an actual transformation sequence (together). It's really cool.
Old 2013-03-21, 12:57   Link #363
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
I actually bothered to look for a torrent for the movie.

Watching it...

And, well, when I'm done, I'll give a full review with my thoughts as I write them down while watching it.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 13:08   Link #364
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
lol could some of you actually watch the fucking movie before freaking out? I mean yes, I see some of these spoilers and realize some parts must be broken and badly put in, but taking things out of context doesn't help matters.

I mean at least the few of us that don't like Force actually read the some of the damned thing before littering the screen.

Of course, if you won't, that to me just justifies that the writers are a bunch of hacks that only care about making money. :]
I'm letting it download while at work (and my BD has shipped), so I plan to watch it tonight. And if I gave the impression I think it is going to be horrible, it wasn't my intent. I feel it will probably be decent, albeit with plot holes and diminished characterization that will bug me. I simply look at it objectively, with neither fanboy or hater eyes.

I will agree they are in it for the money, hence the rehashed material. I don't think Tsuzuki is a hack; to me, a hack is someone turning out cliched and/or copied material. For the most part, Tsuzuki has been braving new ground. His original take on the genre is what got me interested. Hence why I like Force, because it dares to be different.

And that is why I have issues with the movies and Vivid; it is hack writing to degenerate your story in order to attract the masses. Sorta like rehashing "A Christmas Carol" with more sex and explosions to turn it into a modern day Hollywood blockbuster. The story and characters suffer. In anime's case, it is moe and yuri instead of sex and explosions.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 13:08   Link #365
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
^ reaction would be the same anyway XD just the 1st.
Old 2013-03-21, 13:28   Link #366
Sansker
Manus ad Ferrum

I actually thing the series gets its best when is just telling a simple story like the ones in the first two seasons. I like the Movie 1st despite its flaws in part because of it and so far nothing I hear about the Movie 2nd has made me thing it will be bad in any level. At least not when compare with the original show which, let’s be honest, wasn’t perfect to begging with so really expecting that from an adaptation is kind of pointless.
Old 2013-03-21, 14:00   Link #367
Actar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Yup. Apologies for not catching that detail during my first watch. Though technically, 蓄え translates more accurately to savings, not fortune.

Can't wait to do a full re-watch tomorrow after school breaks for the weekend!
Actar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 14:01   Link #368
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actar View Post
Yup. Apologies for not catching that detail during my first watch. Though technically, 蓄え translates to savings, not fortune.

Can't wait to do a full re-watch tomorrow after school breaks for the weekend!
You have came! Btw, what version did you buy?
Old 2013-03-21, 14:07   Link #369
Actar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
You have came! Btw, what version did you buy?
Heh, heh... nothing but the best version for me! I don't usually buy the Japanese releases of long TV series due to the sheer number of volumes on top of their exorbitant prices, but I do tend to splurge on movie releases as they are a one-off thing. (^.^)
Old 2013-03-21, 14:08   Link #370
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Heh, heh... nothing but the best version for me! I don't usually buy the Japanese releases of long TV series due to the sheer number of volumes on top of their exorbitant prices, but I do tend to splurge on movie releases as they are a one-off thing. (^.^)
The Super Special Edition from Animate?
Old 2013-03-21, 14:12   Link #371
Actar

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
The Super Special Edition from Animate?
Sadly, I'm just sticking to the regular Super Special Edition (if that makes any sense).

Also, I do hope you guys liked the little summary/review thing I did awhile back. Hopefully the misinterpretations on my part didn't cause too many frustrations (learning a language is tough!). (^.^
Old 2013-03-21, 14:24   Link #372
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Sadly, I'm just sticking to the regular Super Special Edition (if that makes any sense).

Also, I do hope you guys liked the little summary/review thing I did awhile back. Hopefully the misinterpretations on my part didn't cause too many frustrations (learning a language is tough!). (^.^
xD I got the best Animate version with the best box XD.
Spoiler:

Last edited by bhl88; 2013-03-21 at 15:30.
bhl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 16:07   Link #373
xizro345
King's Justice

I think some of the hysteria is completely unjustified. While the movie has flaws, it's not really the horrible thing some people are painting it. It's an enjoyable movie, after all.

As for the lack of certain characters, the reason I'm not that bothered by that is that I feel they (and their plot threads) were really poorly handled in the series.

What really bothered me was the uneven quality in animation, as I said. I'm waiting the BD to check if there were any differences (since I bought the blasted thing I'm not getting the version that is circulating now online) with the theater version.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 16:17   Link #374
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Aaaaand done...

So now, here's my thoughts of this movie as I watched it.

Spoiler for Movie thoughts while watching it.:

Anyway, now that I've seen the movie, here's my final thoughts on it.

Spoiler for Final thoughts:

Spoiler for Pros and Cons:

Spoiler for Final verdict:

And that's my thoughts on it.

Old 2013-03-21, 16:22   Link #375
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

^ lol it comes after xizro345 XD
Spoiler for Hayate and Rein comes:
Old 2013-03-21, 16:34   Link #376
Demi.
Ass connoisseur

Hey, that's three points higher than the first movie. Talk about progress!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya
Okay, that Divine Buster was NOT point blank range, there was no freaking HINT that Vita was going to lose this fight, maybe be banged up, but not beaten. Now the Book of Darkness can block a Divine Buster huh? ... Yeah...
It was point blank in the sense it was unavoidable. Whether it hit her from a meter away or 100 meters, it would still have the same impact.
Old 2013-03-21, 16:36   Link #377
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Hey, like I said, it was way better than the first one.

Well, you made it sound like Nanoha was pointing RH right at Vita's face from a foot away.

Old 2013-03-21, 16:38   Link #378
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

It fused what the masked men did... blocking the Divine Buster Extension.
Now time for the Nanoha the Movie 2nd A's 4koma.

Hayate: Why are the clothes moving when there's no wind?
Book: A hard opponent.
Zafira: Oi, what about me.
Old 2013-03-21, 17:21   Link #379
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post

And that is why I have issues with the movies and Vivid; it is hack writing to degenerate your story in order to attract the masses. Sorta like rehashing "A Christmas Carol" with more sex and explosions to turn it into a modern day Hollywood blockbuster. The story and characters suffer. In anime's case, it is moe and yuri instead of sex and explosions.
Heh. It's how I view the new Star Trek movies, lol. They might not be bad alone, but at the same time, it seems like when you move something to the big screen, it's always going to cause everything to converge to a certain point of standard movie appeal (action, sex, etc) as you listed. I bring this up, simply because that's a series where action wasn't the main focus, but as part as the Big Screen version, it's needed to wake up the general audience. Effects are... questionable at best.

Still, I am welcome to them changing the narrative, since as you might have noted, at least the franchise tries something new every time. Even if I don't like it. I'm just hoping it won't contain their tendency to try and appease everyone (and end up no one). And yes, I have a number of gripes about the 1st movie regarding this....

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-21, 17:26   Link #380
Keroko
Adeptus Animus
*Author

Right, finally got to watch it. Word of warning: If I sound like a nitpicking "why the hell did you even notice that?" kind of guy, well, I'm an editor. Paying attention to minuscule details is part of my job.

The bad:

Lindy's shafting. This was already bad enough in A's, but at least there she was tied to the command chair, giving her a bit of an excuse. Here she doesn't make it to any of the fights, despite being about as close to any of them as Nanoha and Fate because she walked. Woman, you're a mage! Fly, dammit! Second fight she does make it, but plot means she doesn't get to do much, making her appearance a tease at best.

Chrono going "I'm not going to tell my mother this is the planet-destroying Book of Darkness we're dealing with" is not only pants-on-head retarded, it's also out of character for Chrono, who takes his job very seriously.

The roflstomp Nanoha and Fate suffered in the beginning makes their ensuing comeback a rather jarring contrast. "Shounen-style" upgrades are nothing new to magical girl series (case in point: Every single sailor moon season) but Nanoha sidestepped that in A's a bit by having the fighters perform about the same level with gear being the defining factor. Now it makes less sense.

Without the Lieze twins to interrupt them every time they were about to talk, the Wolkenritter took hit from the idiot bat by refusing to listen to Nanoha and Fate trying to tell them the book was broken and finishing it would kill Hayate.

Without the twins, the Book of Darkness going berserk was pretty much a case of "because plot." The movie explains what makes it, but the "why now" part remains unanswered. The defense program was turned into a clearly visible external "chain" of sorts. The problem here is that it turns it from a corruptible but invisible influence to a clear target, which leaves a nagging feeling of "who don't they just destroy the chain?" It's also much less of a leap to believe something internal regrows than something external. I would have left that detail as it was in the series.

Speaking of which, Reinforce had a lot more self-control in this fight. Which is bad, because it hands her the same idiot ball the Wolkenritter had by targeting Nanoha and Fate even though they are trying to help her. In the series at least she had little to no control over herself.

First thing I noticed is that the movie is still very Fate-centric when it comes to a spotlight choice between Nanoha or Fate. The reason for this is obvious: Fate is the most popular character in the franchise. I would have diverted some of that screentime to Nanoha instead. As always, my first suggestion would be to take out the Lotus Eater dream (a scene which, while superior in terms of storyboarding to it's series counterpart, still doesn't add a thing to the A's plot), which'd give about ten minutes of screentime to build on Nanoha.

Speaking of which, Fate breaking out of the dream on her own just in time to save Nanoha felt like needless fan-pandering.

The intro is... needlessly dramatic. Hayate almost getting hit by a truck served no visible purpose to the plot, and beyond the addition of Reinforce's introduction the scene was exactly the same as it was in the series, making the change... completely pointless.

The good:

The music. I don't know why people tend to overlook this, but music is quite a mood maker, and the music in this movie is great. Really damn great in some scenes.

While the berserking was pretty much "because plot" the Book of Darkness autonomy is not nearly as bad as I feared. It's a bit of a shift from the series, but the Book's autonomy is introduced early in the movie and is maintained consistently Also, on the autonomy, contrary to popular belief this is not at all a divergence from canon. The book was capable of autonomous action in the manga as well. Introducing it early on is actually an improvement.

Yuuno's still there. In fact, most of his plot-relevant scenes are still there. It's really just his fight scenes that got cut.

Reinforce gets introduced earlier, making her less appearance less of a "wait, who's that?" moment

Mariel also gets a proper introduction here, something that did not happen in the series.

In many scenes that remained plotwise the same, the storyboarding is much, much improved. This may sound small, but as a result it means that roughly 70% of the movie flows faster, has better camera angles, more detailed movements and even extra actions that were not taken in the series.

They also added a nice conclusive scene from the manga, the one where Nanoha Hayate and Fate are having tea and talking about what happened. Good scene, glad they added it.

Hayate has a henshin! Okay, it's not exactly the standard "set up" henshin Nanoha and Fate have, but it makes more than up for that by having a huge buildup and being unique on multiple fronts. It counts, dammit!

The "lolwut?":

Nanoha and Fate's melee training, and especially Nanoha matching Fate, was pretty out of the blue.

The "stuff I noticed":

Bardiche's butler voice has long since surpassed the series in awesome. It's almost like I'm hearing Tony Stark's Jervis.

When casting a barrier after loading a cartridge, Nanoha uses a new magic circle. And it looks awesome.

The defense program's final battle felt more JRPG final boss than ever before. I kind of miss the singing though, now it just does low grunts.

Conclusion:

Overall? A good movie. There's a couple of changes that either weren't really needed, or the result of a 12 episode series being squished in a the time-span roughly 5 episodes, but overall I believe these plotholes do not outweigh the improvements to the storyboard and various other elements. While it does have a feeling of being 'incomplete' for viewers of the series, I believe new viewers will not feel as if they missed anything big.
Keroko is offline   Reply With Quote