Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-08-11, 18:31   Link #5861
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofdarkness View Post
no lasers at all
vibroblades

and the last fight between suzaku and kallen is easily the best in the anime exactly BECAUSE they drop the wings and beam weapons and go fist to fist
That's because the last fight was something out of season 1. The first season had an incredibly original ideas for mecha combat, that emphasized speed, and ground combat instead of just having some schmuck just firing laser beams. The roller blades, the emphasis on wires, both where incredibly cool.

With the second season this is done away with to replace it with ordinary Gundam fights where the good guys just blow the bad guys away without a care in the world.

Honestly I blame Gundam Wing for this. With that series the gundam pilots where idiots who won every battle because their mechas couldn't be dented unless the plot demanded it. I mean Treize plays them for fools the entire series.

After that most mechas series have made it so that an idiot could be an ace pilot just because they have the greatest mecha in the land.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 21:47   Link #5862
Betteroffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvj View Post
Here's a funny thought. If Suzaku suddenly dies from an impacted colon or is just out of commission for awhile. Anyone else who dons the Zero costume has a free pass at Schniezel.

Zero impostors poping up would put a damper on things.
What happens at Halloween? What happens if there are people dressed like Zero for public events or children's parties? Plays? The list goes on...

As for the Dorothea and all other women in R2 thing, Japan is still more focused on gender roles and established norms than the west is. You might notice they seem to place a lot more women in the homemaker role for shows and frequently have episodes where one or more of the girls frets over their domestic skills, or at least the ability to produce homemade food for a love intrest.

Or maybe Dorothea could have been a relative of Viletta. Doubtful, but possible.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-11, 21:51   Link #5863
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
As for the Dorothea and all other women in R2 thing, Japan is still more focused on gender roles and established norms than the west is. You might notice they seem to place a lot more women in the homemaker role for shows and frequently have episodes where one or more of the girls frets over their domestic skills, or at least the ability to produce homemade food for a love intrest.
Well, I mean, I know it's the elephant in the room, but that and gratuitous fanservice (seriously, Japan is such a perverted nation).
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-12, 00:58   Link #5864
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
Honestly I blame Gundam Wing for this. With that series the gundam pilots where idiots who won every battle because their mechas couldn't be dented unless the plot demanded it. I mean Treize plays them for fools the entire series.

After that most mechas series have made it so that an idiot could be an ace pilot just because they have the greatest mecha in the land.
True, but I wouldn't call smart all those gattai teams of youths piloting robots in the 70's, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Well, I mean, I know it's the elephant in the room, but that and gratuitous fanservice (seriously, Japan is such a perverted nation).
No. it was made to be perverted by westernizing exploitation of their open minds regarding nude and sex.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 03:53   Link #5865
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
That's because the last fight was something out of season 1. The first season had an incredibly original ideas for mecha combat, that emphasized speed, and ground combat instead of just having some schmuck just firing laser beams. The roller blades, the emphasis on wires, both where incredibly cool.

With the second season this is done away with to replace it with ordinary Gundam fights where the good guys just blow the bad guys away without a care in the world.

blame sunrise for making R2 combat into a god damned (albiet effective ) toy commercial
cant focus too much on strategy when you have action figures to sell
Old 2009-08-13, 08:07   Link #5866
darthfury78

Quote:
blame sunrise for making R2 combat into a god damned (albiet effective ) toy commercial
cant focus too much on strategy when you have action figures to sell
Code Geass doesn't have too many toy models to begin with, in comparison to the Gundam franchise. However, the bulk of Sunrise sales comes from DVD sales and marketing to advertisers. I am not sure how this could have led to second season being drastically changed when the producers could have done a special two-part recap episode to get the new audience up to speed with the series, while placing Turn 24 and Turn 25 as a special OVA for the DVD set. This might have solved Tanaguchi's situation instead for scrapping his original plans for Code Geass R2.

However, I noticed that the mechas did took the center stage of the second season than the first. But I felt it was because of the new timeslot requirements, since it was really a Gundam timeslot that Code Geass was placed into because there were no other Sunrise shows that was ready to assume the 5PM timeslot for the Spring/Summer lineup. Gundam 00 was set to assume the 5PM timeslot as soon as Code Geass was finished. Thus, Code Geass was the victim of the Gundam political machine. Epecially if it was a successful Gundam series like Gundam 00, which was not affected by the new timeslot change.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 12:18   Link #5867
Xander

As much as I think darthfury78 likes to extrapolate and theorize way too much for his own good most of the time, beyond what the sources and references allow...that last part is a possibility, although there's really no way to tell whether there was any contractual or factual obligation for the two Sunrise sequels to air back to back. We would have to talk about how time slots and programming blocks are sold/bought, which is a subject most of us ignore, so that's just one more factor to take into consideration. In the end, ambition and greed are constant.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-13, 14:14   Link #5868
Nobodyman9
Banned

Okay, new question. It's been said that the reason the ZR DVD focuses on Rolo and Shirley is because their deaths were the main reasons for Lelouch going down the ZR route, but was it ever explained why? I always thought the reason for Lelouch doing was ZR was to bring peace to the world as well as atone for his own sins. Does anyone have any idea how Shirley and Rolo's deaths came into play here?
Old 2009-08-13, 14:19   Link #5869
bladeofdarkness
Um-Shmum

Location: at GNR, bringing you the truth, no matter how bad it hurts
i think there is some part in the new narration that lelouch says he has to do this to make their deaths have meaning or something
if i'm wrong, someone please correct me.

on to another matter
does anyone else think that it sucks to be suzaku after Z-R
putting aside the whole "being zero forever" bit there is something else that should be noted
suzaku is zero
zero is the one who killed euphie
suzaku is known to the entire world as the guy who killed the woman he loved
that cant be nice
Old 2009-08-13, 14:24   Link #5870
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
i think there is some part in the new narration that lelouch says he has to do this to make their deaths have meaning or something
if i'm wrong, someone please correct me.
Well, if that is true, I fail to see how ZR gives their deaths "meaning."

Quote:
on to another matter
does anyone else think that it sucks to be suzaku after Z-R
putting aside the whole "being zero forever" bit there is something else that should be noted
suzaku is zero
zero is the one who killed euphie
suzaku is known to the entire world as the guy who killed the woman he loved
that cant be nice
Well, that's why it's his punishment. But yes, I imagine it would suck pretty hard to be Suzaku, but then again he may get used to it over time.
Old 2009-08-13, 16:23   Link #5871
roriconfan
Banned

Send a message via MSN to roriconfan
It would suck even more to remain a spaced-out paladin, like in the beginning.
roriconfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:07   Link #5872
darthfury78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander View Post
As much as I think darthfury78 likes to extrapolate and theorize way too much for his own good most of the time, beyond what the sources and references allow...that last part is a possibility, although there's really no way to tell whether there was any contractual or factual obligation for the two Sunrise sequels to air back to back. We would have to talk about how time slots and programming blocks are sold/bought, which is a subject most of us ignore, so that's just one more factor to take into consideration. In the end, ambition and greed are constant.
The only key giveaway to the timeslot change was that the Sunday 5PM timeslot doesn't attract a very large audience because most viewers are outside. If Sunrise was given a 8PM to 10PM timeslot for Gundam 00, instead, they would have taken it.

Thus, Code Geass would have retained its old Thursday night timeslot, since the Sunday 8PM to 10PM timeslot is very expensive, as well as a similar timeslot for Satuday.

In theory, Gundam 00 original Satuday timeslot was lost to another anime, and Sunrise was not able to find an available timeslot for show, besides the deadend Sunday 5PM. So Sunrise had to take what was offered to them by the TV Network that provided them with that timeslot.
darthfury78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 00:52   Link #5873
Xander

That relies on several assumptions, however, which none of us can prove or swear about.

I do know something though...that the Saturday time slot no longer has anime, at least not on the same networks involved in this discussion, because the programming block was moved to Sunday. I believe this was made clear at the time and notice how even the FMA remake now airs on Sunday, not Saturday.

In other words, it can't be said that the Saturday time slot was lost to another anime series. From what we can tell, that wasn't just a simple lost bid but the result of a larger change that removed the old Saturday anime slot.

But the same slot used by the original Code Geass, Darker than Black and Macross Frontier (IIRC), still exists.
Xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 07:46   Link #5874
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post
Well, if that is true, I fail to see how ZR gives their deaths "meaning."
I can see where Lelouch is getting at. Shirley and died because of the never ending war and the geass. The Zero Requiem managed to end both. There's no geass user alive(until R3! ) and the war finally ended. Not only their deaths got the meaning of ending the war, everyone who died in the process also got the same status.

At least it's what i think.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 14:19   Link #5875
Zetsubou Bunny
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via MSN to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Zetsubou Bunny
Speaking of dead geass users..

Anyone want to take a jab at why Lelouch wanted to personally examine all of the experimental bodies harvested from the Geass Directorate?

(I just can't help but have this mental image of Lelouch haphazardly wading through piles of dead children and examining them.)
Zetsubou Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 14:22   Link #5876
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubou Bunny View Post
Speaking of dead geass users..

Anyone want to take a jab at why Lelouch wanted to personally examine all of the experimental bodies harvested from the Geass Directorate?

(I just can't help but have this mental image of Lelouch haphazardly wading through piles of dead children and examining them.)
He may know what V.V. looks like, but no one else does, so he'd need to check around for the right body.
Old 2009-08-14, 17:15   Link #5877
TyG3R

I don't understand something , is love between Lelouch and Kallen ?explain me please .
TyG3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 17:29   Link #5878
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyG3R View Post
I don't understand something , is love between Lelouch and Kallen ?explain me please .
Romance thread is thataway.

More seriously, that's a debate that will never know rest. You can say yes with a fair amount of certainty.
Old 2009-08-14, 17:35   Link #5879
Zetsubou Bunny
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via MSN to Zetsubou Bunny Send a message via Yahoo to Zetsubou Bunny
Quote:
He may know what V.V. looks like, but no one else does, so he'd need to check around for the right body.
Ohhhh, he was going after V.V.? I thought he was just trying to eliminate experiments in geass.
Zetsubou Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-14, 18:00   Link #5880
morbosfist
Spinning Lotus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsubou Bunny View Post
Ohhhh, he was going after V.V.? I thought he was just trying to eliminate experiments in geass.
It was both. The point was to cut off the source, which was V.V. Eliminating the rest of the Cult is tying up the loose ends.