Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2020-04-15, 03:35   Link #21
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Second episode is a lot of laughs.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-17, 23:14   Link #22
Frontier

"Ritsuko?" Is that the girl who was undressing herself in his flashback ?

Man, Minare really is a hot mess. Getting so drunk she constantly passes out in another guy's apartment, and then she wakes up and assaults the guy and calls the police...she's lucky they didn't bring her in for a slew of crimes .

Yeah...kind of sounds like Takarada is a frequent sexual harasser. Nakahara may want to think about getting out of there .

Oof. Minare was drunk but that was a pretty hard no when Nakahara offered to let her stay with him. Although he didn't help himself when he jumped on the idea of them both sleeping naked. Is Minare dense to how he really feels or just really not interested? And was Nakahara about to cop a feel on her butt while she was laying there ?

The comedian Mato keeps comparing Ritsuko to doesn't really have the kind of looks you'd expect from a comedian. I'm curious what her deal is and what it is about her that Mato found so similar to Minare .

So now Minare is stuck in the unenviable and dubiously paying job of being a radio show host at a time where practically no one is likely to listen to it. Not to mention she needs to find sponsors if she's ever expecting to get paid. I guess this will be a test for how impactful Minare's radio style is .

Mizuho seems like just a bundle of cuteness and charm. No wonder Minare wants her to remain pure forever .

Next week...it looks like Mamiko Noto is in this anime ?
Old 2020-04-18, 19:49   Link #23
Fevvers
a regular van veen

This is seriously becoming a sleeper hit for me this season!

There is a lot of attention to detail with great pacing here. i didn’t really have any expectation tbh being a manga-reader and usually not having patience to sit through anime adaptations, but this has been a fun ride!

Lots of scenes that I liked: Keanu Reeves reference, that backflip and Minare finding out she’s a drunk mess, Minare telling Mizuho all men are worthless but admitting she is one too... A lot of comedy and humor this episode that still gives off a nuanced portrayal of the characters, that’s amazing!
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-18, 19:55   Link #24
Alchemist007
*Author

Minare is such a joy to watch.
Old 2020-04-18, 20:13   Link #25
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Characters who never have an unexpressed thought are a mixed bag, but it works with Minare because she's also smart and has a moral compass (even if she tries to ignore it).

What I really like about this series is that you get the sense there's much more to everything and everyone than we're seeing on the surface. Every character seems to have their own story and their own unique perspective rather than being props to further the protagonist's arc.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-19, 19:44   Link #26
Xical
Phantom User

I want this to be the anime of the season, I was thinking about reading the manga but in the end I want to enjoy this adaptation and then will read the original.
Old 2020-04-24, 11:43   Link #27
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Enjoyed the character development for Minare being unsure if she can be a hit in the radio waves of Sapporo.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-24, 21:21   Link #28
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

What's with the weekly gay-bashing, though? Excellent series on the whole but that stands out in a bad way.
Old 2020-04-24, 22:00   Link #29
HandofFate

enjoying the characters, Minare reacting pretty understandably to this thing being offered to her.

Other happy-go-lucky anime main characters would just dive in gung-ho, but she's thinking about sustainability and if its going to work or not.

The guy at the restaurant also has be cheering for him.
Old 2020-04-24, 23:19   Link #30
Frontier

Wow, two failed kisses in one episode. I'm not sure if Minare would've gone through with it if they hadn't been interrupted, but Mizuho definitely freaked out about it and got out of there. Ah, the perils of dating co-workers .

So...did something happen between Mizuho and Chishiro? Mizuho seemed to have a really weird reaction when Minare brought Chishiro up, making Mizuho want to support her instead .

Makie is a dark-haired beauty voiced by Mamiko Noto (AKA her typecast), who seems diligent and responsible but I wonder if she has something going on at home that is keeping her at the restaurant instead of going home .

I think Nakahara meant to take Makie home with him in a completely platonic sense, but it did seem to rile Minare up a little even if she's wishy-washy on how exactly she feels about Nakahara. She certainly didn't seem to like the idea of becoming the third wheel between the two of them at the restaurant .

Oh hey, a title drop .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
What's with the weekly gay-bashing, though? Excellent series on the whole but that stands out in a bad way.
I don't know if it's gay-bashing so much as just a part of Takarada's character. Nobody seems to treat him as utterly repugnant because of it (Nakahara even asked what the problem was when Minare brought it up). I think Minare only brought it up because she felt like he'd be biased against hiring her back because she's not a guy.

I never got the sense that the sexual harassment or his being biased for a hot guy was meant as a condemnation of being gay, it's just who he is.
Old 2020-04-25, 00:04   Link #31
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

It feels very mean-spirited to me. The humor last week was definitely making a fool of him for being gay (and painting him as a predator). And while Nakahara's response was refreshing, Minare bringing it up in that context at all was pretty unsavory.

Like I said, I just hope it isn't a regular thing because to me it's the one off note in an otherwise very appealing composition.
Old 2020-04-25, 00:16   Link #32
Magewolf

I think Minare brings it up so much because she does not like her boss being gay,not that she has a problem with gays in general. Firstly because Takarada does seem to be a bit of an asshole about it. If he was straight and trying to set up a harem of good looking waitresses would you be cutting him as much slack? And secondly because as Nakahara points out she is an attractive woman with pleasantly large breasts so her boss being gay cuts out a lot of natural advantages she is used to having even if she does not make active use of them.
Magewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-25, 06:30   Link #33
cheshire

I’d chalk that up to Takarada being an asshole boss. Minare clearly doesn't like him.
cheshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-04-25, 08:28   Link #34
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

When you express your feelings for not liking someone by saying "He's _____!" - that's bigotry.
Old 2020-04-25, 09:23   Link #35
HandofFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magewolf View Post
And secondly because as Nakahara points out she is an attractive woman with pleasantly large breasts so her boss being gay cuts out a lot of natural advantages she is used to having even if she does not make active use of them.
I feel the big breasts portion is in reference to the radio thing, not the curry shop boss situation, and Nakahara feels it might be a scam that's trying to target her as just either a joke to make fun of her or some sketchy late night XXX thing for her physical attributes rather than her voice.
Old 2020-04-25, 10:53   Link #36
Frontier

Quote:
It feels very mean-spirited to me. The humor last week was definitely making a fool of him for being gay (and painting him as a predator). And while Nakahara's response was refreshing, Minare bringing it up in that context at all was pretty unsavory.
I think he's more a fool for his personality then for being gay, but they definitely establish that he harasses people.
Quote:
When you express your feelings for not liking someone by saying "He's _____!" - that's bigotry.
I think in context it was less about her being wary because he's gay but more how he acts because of it. But I guess because she didn't elaborate on it you can't really know for sure one way or another. But I never got the impression she dislikes him just for being gay.
Old 2020-04-26, 18:24   Link #37
Jaden

Very interesting show. I'm curious, how does this even work as a manga? I feel like it's almost completely being carried by the voice acting.

Though of course, some things are also lost because of the voice acting. Mato-san was impressed because Minare was able to rant for 20 minutes without stuttering. Well, I wasn't impressed, because professional VA's never stutter anyway in their rehearsed takes, unless stuttering is part of the script. I just take that for granted.
Old 2020-04-29, 13:02   Link #38
Tenzen12

Still can't get used weird shading of eyes. I wish it stopped.

Quote:
This particular gay fired her so it's perfectly fine bash him for anything and everything. Being gay isn't exception. And don't forget Minare would be perfectly fine with marrying girl and making love with her every day.
Old 2020-04-29, 18:43   Link #39
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

No, it's really not perfectly fine.
Old 2020-04-29, 22:37   Link #40
Tenzen12

So you keep saying. Well, it's fine if it makes you happy.

Tags
comedy, slice of life